If you weigh more you pay more - to fly

1235»

Comments

• MollybeMollybe Posts: 674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But you would be on the scales with your luggage so nobody would know your actual weight.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose so! I agree with people saying it would checkin times astronomically high though! Lots of complaints.
  • Gary GlimmerGary Glimmer Posts: 211
    Forum Member
    Always wanted this to come into force.

Why should I pay the same price as someone who's overweight and therefore cranks up the jet fuel on a plane? Don't want to get weighed at the airport, simple, f.o. Combined weight of passenger & luggage. So easy to do as they already weigh baggage. Sooner the better.

Poll that goes with the article
    http://www.smh.com.au/polls/business/heavier-people-flying-20120111-1puuq.html
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand your logic.

I don't agree with the suggestion in the first place but are you seriously suggesting that your husband should be let off because he is tall and physically fit ?

So before getting on board he'd have his weight taken, stand against a wall and be measured and then be asked to do 20 press ups and 20 squat thrusts and get charged extra if he was breathing heavily afterwards

No, i only mentioned his fitness to reiterate that he isnt 14 stone through being fat, but through his build. Just like this poster explains...
    IanN wrote: »
    I'm a 6ft 6" man, who already has to pay extra for sufficient leg room on flights, I'm healthy but weight around 14st - 14st 7", the last time I weighed 11st 2" I was very underweight and looked awful.

I have once had to sit next to someone very obese on a plane and it wasn't pleasant, so I can see the issues, perhaps this would be better done by measuring peoples percentage of body mass as fat?
  • far2coolfar2cool Posts: 6,334
    Forum Member
    Maybe they will hire someone to decide who is fat, and who's not,

I'd love that job,

"fat, not fat, fat, fat,not fat, fat"
  • susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mollybe wrote: »
    But you would be on the scales with your luggage so nobody would know your actual weight.

Exactly. Have a unit weight for person plus luggage, say for the sake of argument, 17 stone altogether. So if you're very tiny, you can take lots of luggage for free, but if you're massive, you'll have to pay for the extra.

I have some sympathy for very large people who want to fly, but there is NO way I'd want to be sitting next to them, especially if they were crammed into one seat and spilling out into mine. I've paid for one seat, I don't see why I should only get half a seat because someone else is occupying the rest.
  • Killer GorillaKiller Gorilla Posts: 3,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Making people pay by the pound to fly would be an incentive for people to lose weight. It would also be good for the environment.
  • MollybeMollybe Posts: 674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This has been a bugbear of mine for a long time now. I have never understood the concept of a capsule wardrobe, especially when going on holiday. I want to take enough clothes so I don't have to wash while I am there.

I just don't see why I have to pay more because my luggage is overweight and I am not. I just want to be able to carry the same weight as other people, whether it is in my bag or on my bum:D