Options

multi event transfer question

tvqueen1905tvqueen1905 Posts: 82,843
Forum Member
✭✭✭
On the 5th August I am going to North Greenwich Arena to see some gymnastics

this session finishes at 16:30

now on the same evening at 18:50 I have a ticket the the athletics session including 100m final

getting myself stressed out as i am worrying that this will not be enough time to get to the olympic stadium into my seat as i have to go via security at olympic park and have no idea how long this will take :o

any advice appreciated

Comments

• Options
    rosalynnrosalynn Posts: 4,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Travel-wise there's a travel planner on the London 2012 website.

Security-wise it was pretty smooth when I went through on Monday. Lots and lots of x-ray scanners and metal detectors, so I didn't really think it was a bottleneck at all, particularly bearing in mind everybody was going through at the same time, which is less likely with you going to an evening session.
  • Options
    OpaqueOpaque Posts: 5,286
    Forum Member
    It's also a sunday so theres less normal traffic getting from one site to another. But considering what you have tickets for I'd be leaving Gymnastics a little early just to be sure.

But theres plenty of time to see what the issues will be, how long it's taking to get from place to place so keep your eyes open for that over the next week to help sate your fears :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rosalynn wrote: »
    Travel-wise there's a travel planner on the London 2012 website.

Security-wise it was pretty smooth when I went through on Monday. Lots and lots of x-ray scanners and metal detectors, so I didn't really think it was a bottleneck at all, particularly bearing in mind everybody was going through at the same time, which is less likely with you going to an evening session.

Yeah I know stratford is only a few stops away but i would imagine the jubilee line would be heaving with people heading to the olympic park and people coming out of gymnastics as i know even if gynastics finishes at half 4 as the crowd all leave together it will take a while to get out ane onto a train at station

the thing is unlike last night more than one venue will have an event at pretty much the same time

random question is there many toilets in the park/stadium if so was there massive queues.

heard about queues at food/drink stalls
  • Options
    rosalynnrosalynn Posts: 4,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are loads and loads of loos, didn't see any problems in that respect.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks i just don;t want to miss a moment of the athletics :)
  • Options
    OpaqueOpaque Posts: 5,286
    Forum Member
    More women's toilets than mens at the stadium as well apparently!
  • Options
    thegreytistthegreytist Posts: 164
    Forum Member
    I have a similar question regarding transferring to events inside the Olympic Park as next Tuesday I have tickets to the Basketball and Hockey. However according to the schedules, the basketball finishes half an hour before the hockey starts.

Obviously it's only a short walk across the park, but there won't be any issues with getting in if the basketball happens to overrun or something?
  • Options
    hardeephardeep Posts: 2,330
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a similar question regarding transferring to events inside the Olympic Park as next Tuesday I have tickets to the Basketball and Hockey. However according to the schedules, the basketball finishes half an hour before the hockey starts.

Obviously it's only a short walk across the park, but there won't be any issues with getting in if the basketball happens to overrun or something?

To be honest even though each basketball match has slot of 1hr 45 I'd be fairly confident that the matches will finish well inside - allowing for overtime of course. FIBA rules are a bit different to the NBA re. timeouts, length of quarters and in my limited experience FIBA matches tend to flow faster.

But even if it does over run they won't stop you entering the hockey or any other event for that matter. The exception might be for events for where concentration/silence is needed so they may hold you until there is a convenient gap, (like when you to Test Match cricket.)
  • Options
    velixavelixa Posts: 497
    Forum Member
    My advice would be to leave early. Going by my experience from the jubilee and the opening ceremony rehearsals it could take about an hour to enter the tube station once the masses start leaving.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i am tempted to saccrifice the pommel horse session of the gymnastics in hope that buys me some time and i avoid the masses
  • Options
    Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i am tempted to saccrifice the pommel horse session of the gymnastics in hope that buys me some time and i avoid the masses

You could be missing out on a GB medal though even a gold from Louis Smith.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tiger Rose wrote: »
    You could be missing out on a GB medal though even a gold from Louis Smith.

thats a point so i really don't know what to do for the best
  • Options
    velixavelixa Posts: 497
    Forum Member
    thats a point so i really don't know what to do for the best

You could even leave 5 minutes before the end. Just move before everyone else does.

On second thoughts it might not be so bad. It is still the afternoon. Fewer people will be in a rush to get home.

The decision is up to you.
  • Options
    Department_SDepartment_S Posts: 4,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the Jubilee Line could be a problem if you don't leave early from the O2. There is little alternative transport to arrive at the Olympic Park. (cable car is a long winded route) 12000 rocking out with no car parking (restrictions) heading towards the tube will take ages particularly given that the tubes will already be heaving.

Transferring between events in the park should be ok as there will be no security clearance required but in the test events the hand held ticket scanners at the Olympic stadium were not quick so allow time.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 80
    Forum Member
    We have a similar issue, mainly due to buying tickets whilst on holiday and did not realise the calendar had adjusted time zone so have two overlapping sessions.

On Sunday we have Gymnastics in the morning and 45 minutes before it ends the Badminton starts, so we have -45 minutes to get from Greenwich to Wembley!

Luckily both sessions quite long missing an hour of badminton still gets us about 4 hours to watch.
  • Options
    Department_SDepartment_S Posts: 4,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Erurainon wrote: »
    We have a similar issue, mainly due to buying tickets whilst on holiday and did not realise the calendar had adjusted time zone so have two overlapping sessions.

On Sunday we have Gymnastics in the morning and 45 minutes before it ends the Badminton starts, so we have -45 minutes to get from Greenwich to Wembley!

Luckily both sessions quite long missing an hour of badminton still gets us about 4 hours to watch.

At least Wembley is on the Jubilee line and it is about a 12 minute walk to Wembley Arena from Wembley Park after a 35 minute tube journey Again you will need to think about leaving the Gymnastics early or be prepared to miss at least 2 hours of Badminton ( although no bad thing IMO)