Options

Why does this show generate so much hatred?

Comments

• Options
    VeriVeri Posts: 96,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The hatred is because it's on the BBC. That makes quite a few people keen to find fault and to use any weapon that comes to hand against the show.
  • Options
    AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's because its bland

The BBC doing talent shows is like your gran dancing.

There's no anti-BBC agenda, it's more a very poorly amateur-esque produced show which promised a lot and once past the spinny shows is very bland
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ambassador wrote: »
    It's because its bland

There's no anti-BBC agenda, it's more a very poorly amateur-esque produced show which promised a lot and once past the spinny shows is very bland

I remember hating talent shows before Pop Idol. All that very mediocre talent wheeled on and being praised with no negative feedback. Sometimes you can talk about "that was not quite right" until you're blue in the face, but Simon (and Nasty Nigel before him) was the first to tell it like it was, and that's what I liked. It's become a bit 'Panto' now admittedly.

Playing that Alecks Josh clip again, this is what I dislike - someone singing with his hands in his pockets as if it's cool and very little effort in the voice (what's this show called again?), getting by on his looks and 'poster-on-the-bedroom-wall' factor. The smug look on his face being wiped off and turning into a spoilt schoolboy scowl is classic. What I can't find is the bit where he got eliminated and he flatly refused to speak, let alone thank anyone for his one TV opportunity. There's a guy who will never accomplish anything with that attitude.
  • Options
    nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    What's the problem here? I don't get it?

The Voice could be good and credible, but chooses not to be in favour of sub-X-factor blather, and judges who are all on their own planet.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ambassador wrote: »
    It's because its bland

The Voice could be good and credible, but chooses not to be in favour of sub-X-factor blather, and judges who are all on their own planet.

I would agree with both of those comments.
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    jackbell wrote: »
    I remember hating talent shows before Pop Idol. All that very mediocre talent wheeled on and being praised with no negative feedback. Sometimes you can talk about "that was not quite right" until you're blue in the face, but Simon (and Nasty Nigel before him) was the first to tell it like it was, and that's what I liked. It's become a bit 'Panto' now admittedly.

Playing that Alecks Josh clip again, this is what I dislike - someone singing with his hands in his pockets as if it's cool and very little effort in the voice (what's this show called again?), getting by on his looks and 'poster-on-the-bedroom-wall' factor. The smug look on his face being wiped off and turning into a spoilt schoolboy scowl is classic. What I can't find is the bit where he got eliminated and he flatly refused to speak, let alone thank anyone for his one TV opportunity. There's a guy who will never accomplish anything with that attitude.

He's not too bad, but sounds very much like a Buble impersonator with a slurred/mangled accent. I don't mind the hands-in-pockets thing, I thought it suited the style of song he was singing :):o
  • Options
    Bagshot85Bagshot85 Posts: 8,248
    Forum Member
    Simon Cowell and his minions.
  • Options
    sammyvinesammyvine Posts: 3,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i find it odd how people can have an allegiance to the xfactor or the voice?

i mean actually arguing about which one is better or why one is so rubbish is pathetic, in all honesty.
  • Options
    Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EuroChris wrote: »
    It's mainly because the Cowell show fanatics along with the sycophantic tabloids hate the fact that XF and BGT have got competition. The vitriol has been more intense this year because XF saw it's ratings collapse in 2012. It's quite bizarre really.

I don't watch The Voice but the vitriol that the show receives from people on DS and the media is baffling. This country needs to stop taking these talent shows so seriously. It's just television at the end of the day.

What I don't understand is why people who admit that they don't like The Voice come into the forum just to either slag it off or gloat about it being beaten by something else in the ratings? I cannot think of any other forum on here where that happens.

I'm not saying people can't have negative opinions of the show, but what these posters do is little more than trolling IMO. I do think a lot of people are completely enthralled by Cowell and still think that everything he does is wonderful, when in reality his shows are way passed their best now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It should be about the voice though
    Slojo wrote: »
    Why??

Because they've been banging on about it since day one. I didn't make up the rule.
  • Options
    SCD-ObserverSCD-Observer Posts: 18,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What I don't understand is why people who admit that they don't like The Voice come into the forum just to either slag it off or gloat about it being beaten by something else in the ratings? I cannot think of any other forum on here where that happens.

I'm not saying people can't have negative opinions of the show, but what these posters do is little more than trolling IMO. I do think a lot of people are completely enthralled by Cowell and still think that everything he does is wonderful, when in reality his shows are way passed their best now.

Cowell's rubbish (X Factor, BGT, Food Glorious Food etc.) are as lifeless and soulless as his botoxed face.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    its a good concept (or it was),,,and there have been a couple of good singers so far this series,,,however Danny and Jessie J really make me cringe,,for the most part I have to fast forward pretty much most of what they have to say as its either embarrassing or annoying
  • Options
    boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    maggie_07 wrote: »
    No-one knows how successful any of the talent show contestants will be in 4 years. We just have to wait and see. I don't think having instant success guarantees a long career.

As Cowell's acts repeatedly show.

Anti-The Voice posters like to say that the Voice hasnt produced a star (3 out of the 4 finalists havent released their post-Voice music yet! Give them time to get their stuff out before pronouncing them a failure FFS!)

Pro-X-Factor/BGT posters state that the acts on these shows do much better having no 1's etc, but what percentage bomb hard shortly after?? (A; Most)

Even big successes from previous years like Alexander Burke and Leona Lewis are struggling now. So whilst on the surface the Voice hasnt (yet) produced any big hitters, the track records of the Cowell shows aint much better
  • Options
    ABCZYXABCZYX Posts: 12,107
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    During the blind audition stages last year, the show had very high ratings, particularly for a brand new show, and IIRC, it had lots of praise and very good comments from the press. But when the viewing figures went down during the live shows, that's when the criticism first started and people still call it because of that. But they seem to conveniently forget just how many ratings it originally got. If the show was that bad, then it wouldn't have had the high ratings it got, which increased as each week of the blind audition stage went by. But because the original live show format didn't work as well, it's now deemed to be "cool" to slate the show, which I don't think is very fair.

Now we know that they've changed the format of the show this year by there being more blind auditions and tweaking the live shows, which to me, is a good thing. I wish people would give this series a chance and actually properly watch it before judging it.
  • Options
    jazzyjakejazzyjake Posts: 1,083
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like it and all the judges are credible. What they need is a big talent like Leona to catch the viewers attention.

I don't understand why people keep comparing it to BGT. BGT is a completely different demographic.
  • Options
    KrommKromm Posts: 6,180
    Forum Member
    It's the same type of show made in two very different ways. X factor ridicules and humiliates people, and instead of taking the best singers through, they take the ones who will get the most laughs from the public/create the most controversy. The Voice gives feedback to people constantly, even if they don't get through, there's no nastiness or humiliation, and they only choose the best singers to go through. One is a contest based on singing, the other is a contest based on mockery.

I say this as someone who likes them both, because beneath all the crap and nastiness there can be some good in X Factor.
    Apparently the British people WANT to see humiliation and nastyness rather than singing, and if that's not present its "boring".

What a shame,

Not that the Voice is perfect. But its better than the travesty called X-Factor (and also Idol).
  • Options
    Sun Tzu.Sun Tzu. Posts: 19,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watched episode 2 and I just found it so boring.

Simon Cowell probably wants the competition but the way they make The Voice, it just lacks entertainment value. There is nothing stand out about it, the stage looks poor and it lacks that big vibe you get with XF or BGT.
  • Options
    Sun Tzu.Sun Tzu. Posts: 19,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kromm wrote: »
    Apparently the British people WANT to see humiliation and nastyness rather than singing, and if that's not present its "boring".

What a shame,

Not that the Voice is perfect. But its better than the travesty called X-Factor (and also Idol).
    I believe the British public judge the show on the quality of the product and the product is crap at the moment.

At the end of the day, if it is all about The Voice, then go put it on radio and host a competition that way. This is TV and this is not a musical documentary. This is a TV show on a Saturday night which lacks the entertainment value.

I find it really patronising when people say the X Factor humiliates people. People who go on the X Factor do so out of their own free will, no one forces anyone onto X Factor. A lot of the people who some say are being laughed at go on for the attention. They go on knowing it is a TV entertainment programme.

The Voice lacks the core value which is entertainment.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sun Tzu. wrote: »
    I believe the British public judge the show on the quality of the product and the product is crap at the moment.

At the end of the day, if it is all about The Voice, then go put it on radio and host a competition that way. This is TV and this is not a musical documentary. This is a TV show on a Saturday night which lacks the entertainment value.

I find it really patronising when people say the X Factor humiliates people. People who go on the X Factor do so out of their own free will, no one forces anyone onto X Factor. A lot of the people who some say are being laughed at go on for the attention. They go on knowing it is a TV entertainment programme.

The British public are the only ones with the problem. You are also the only new who say things like "put it on the radio." The show works everywhere else and I know a bunch of people where I live who watch our version and yours and love both. I think it's just something that doesn't work over there just like you guys have a million panel shows and celebrity based shows that tend to flop like fish here in the US.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think I have ever seen a TV show generate as much disdain in the press as I have The Voice. OK so it's not perfect but its not as bad as some people make out either. I've seen a lot worse, anyone else remember Celebrity Love Island for example? I'm not even so sure that we can blame the press being in Simon Cowell's pocket anymore either because the last series of X Factor took a serious pasting in the papers, although it was nothing compared to what The Voice gets.

What's the problem here? I don't get it?

The BBC claimed it would be different.
    The BBC paid a huge amount of it's limited resources to buy the format.
    It started well but viewing figures went into free fall & yet the BBC still claimed it was a success
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the licence fee payer expects a better quality show for the amount of money they've supposedly spent on this heep of dung . .
    We expect better from the BBC & not a show that pays the judges from our licence fee money, promoting & massaging the egos of 4 apallingingly bad judges who don't even have the balls to tell the truth about the contestants.
    Duh . . . !
    It's just an embarrassment for the BBC at the licence fee payers expense.
  • Options
    Cestrian18Cestrian18 Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    Sun Tzu. wrote: »

Like it or lump it The X Factor thrives on humiliating people, they don't have to show it, yet people's egos are massaged to the point where some genuinely believe they're good, they've got.through countless pre-auditions with producers simply so they can be laughed at and they think its ok in the name of 'entertainment' Its the modern equivalent of watching Medieval fools, everybody laughing at someone in some cases with obvious instabilities, its cruel and I feel dirty when watching the jeering crowd so I don't watch it-If thats what Entertainment is in the 21st century then I'd rather watch something boring!
  • Options
    sammyvinesammyvine Posts: 3,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hootie wrote: »
    I think the licence fee payer expects a better quality show for the amount of money they've supposedly spent on this heep of dung . .
    We expect better from the BBC & not a show that pays the judges from our licence fee money, promoting & massaging the egos of 4 apallingingly bad judges who don't even have the balls to tell the truth about the contestants.
    Duh . . . !
    It's just an embarrassment for the BBC at the licence fee payers expense.

I won't go that far and if you don't like it, there is always XFactor and BGT who tend to make ''contestants'' the main part of the show.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cestrian18 wrote: »
    Like it or lump it The X Factor thrives on humiliating people, they don't have to show it, yet people's egos are massaged to the point where some genuinely believe they're good, they've got.through countless pre-auditions with producers simply so they can be laughed at and they think its ok in the name of 'entertainment' Its the modern equivalent of watching Medieval fools, everybody laughing at someone in some cases with obvious instabilities, its cruel and I feel dirty when watching the jeering crowd so I don't watch it-If thats what Entertainment is in the 21st century then I'd rather watch something boring!

Do you not think the Voice has upped the humiliation this year?

Kim Mizelle (sp?), Kavanah & the guy taken on stage by Michael Buble all ignored. They didn't have to show that either
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because the way the BBC is funded it should not be chasing ratings but delivering quality programming. I think The Voice is a quality programme and several cuts above, say, Hole In The Wall. My only issue with it existing is it has cost them 20 million for two series, which comes to an end with this one.

Does this mean a further two series will cost a further 20 million? And if so, is it worth it?