Options

The Great British Bake Off - New Series in August

Comments

• Options
    The SwampsterThe Swampster Posts: 8,384
    Forum Member
    They all come across as such a nice bunch! But I think that Kimberley, despite her blip this week, is still looking like the one to beat. I suspect that Howard may be next to go as he does seem to be a bit hit and miss.
  • Options
    HeavenlyHeavenly Posts: 31,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I adore Howard, I want to take him home.:) I follow both him and Glenn on twitter, they tweet a lot, must be hard not to let slip what is going to happen! I told Glenn I loved the fact everything he cooked was so massive and he favourited it. :D

Ruby getting a bad press - read a tweet last night saying she is like one of the people at school who say they never study then always get an A.

Why was Kimberely so shocked she stayed? Not a chance in hell she was going last night.
  • Options
    Swanandduck2Swanandduck2 Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    Ruby is very hard on herself - but that's just her personality. I don't think she's chasing sympathy, just trying to get in first with the criticism that she's sure (often wrongly) is going to be heaped on her by the judges. As for that comment about bi-polar - it's amazing how everyone has suddenly become an expert on this condition and can diagnose people by just watching a few edited highlights of them on television. You'd wonder why we need mental health experts at all.:(

I really feared for Howard last night and was so relieved when he didn't go. He seems like a lovely man. I thought it was ironic that on the one occasion when they really were supposed to go all out on style and design Frances (literally) collapsed.

I think Kimberly got taken down a peg last night and it might have done her no harm. She was coming across as a bit smug and complacent.

I would like to see Ruby, Christine and Howard in the final - but I think Howard may have to fight it out with Kimberly (and maybe even Frances if last night has calmed her 'creative' tendencies down a bit).
  • Options
    Jenny1986Jenny1986 Posts: 16,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dome wrote: »
    I don't see why there is so much focus on Ruby's exams. It's her first year exams not her finals. I cannot remember there being such a fuss last year when there were two(?) sitting their finals during the competition.
    She entered and presumably knew there would be a clash and she and the judges should not use it as an excuse imo.

If I remember right they mentioned the exams every week last year. With many shots of them studying especially when it got near to the end as they were both finalists, it seemed to be mentioned a few times an episode towards the end. So it's just the same for Ruby. I think there was also a nurse last year, they regularly talked about her job too.
  • Options
    serafimoserafimo Posts: 1,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jenny1986 wrote: »
    If I remember right they mentioned the exams every week last year. With many shots of them studying especially when it got near to the end as they were both finalists, it seemed to be mentioned a few times an episode towards the end. So it's just the same for Ruby. I think there was also a nurse last year, they regularly talked about her job too.

Yep. There were at least two weeks towards the end of the last series where James showed up really underprepared (I think gingerbread structure week and then also the semi final where he made his bicycle thing?), and like Ruby he talked about winging it and they mentioned it was because he had been doing his first year exams. But of course he didn't get slated on here for daring to mention it.
  • Options
    Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    serafimo wrote: »
    Yep. There were at least two weeks towards the end of the last series where James showed up really underprepared (I think gingerbread structure week and then also the semi final where he made his bicycle thing?), and like Ruby he talked about winging it and they mentioned it was because he had been doing his first year exams. But of course he didn't get slated on here for daring to mention it.

Yup, I was well aware that James and John were both in the middle of exams some points during the competition, and I don't think I picked that up through any amazing psychic powers I have
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    serafimo wrote: »

Playing devil's advocate, maybe because everyone expects studying medicine to be a total full on nightmare, whereas perhaps everyone thinks psychology is not such a demand.
  • Options
    abannieabannie Posts: 2,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ruby's an ex-model so it stands to reason she's insecure - she would be used to going to castings and have people pull her looks apart. On this show she's just getting in there before Paul and Mary say anything! I just think she lacks confidence in her abilities, I don't see it as an act, she's just very down on herself. I can see how it's annoying to watch. I personally find over-confidence more annoying.
  • Options
    FreddiePFreddieP Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    JamieHT wrote: »
    Annoyed with Mary and Paul for being lenient on Ruby for not being prepared and telling Glenn off.

I totally agree with this, Ruby said she wasn't prepared because of exams, Glenn said he wasn't prepared as he had had a busy week at school working long hours, marking papers, but he got told off!

I think Rob was the right person to go, not sure who will go next as they are very up and down, I was really pleased Christine got star baker, her show stopper was fab.
  • Options
    domedome Posts: 55,878
    Forum Member
    Heavenly wrote: »
    Playing devil's advocate, maybe because everyone expects studying medicine to be a total full on nightmare, whereas perhaps everyone thinks psychology is not such a demand.

It's a Philosophy degree isn't it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a Philosophy degree isn't it?

Sorry, I mean Philosophy.
  • Options
    OsusanaOsusana Posts: 7,510
    Forum Member
    Takae wrote: »
    Is that really strange? I cook and bake, and I don't own a mixer or processor. :o

Me too, do all my baking and pie-making etc by hand - I am convinced pastry tastes better if you have worked it rather than a machine
  • Options
    Forum Member
  • Options
    OsusanaOsusana Posts: 7,510
    Forum Member
    Ruby was in tears the first week.

The Dalek just wasn't a tower, it was carved up biscuits coated in revolting looking icing, he might as well of made it up in cardboard and placed it over a packet of digestive biscuits, at least it would have been edible.

The Dalek should have been red as well, the majority colour in Dalek society. also it would not have looked so yuk
  • Options
    Forum Member
    A few more blogs:

Howard

Beca

Frances

Glenn
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

She's a popular girl! :)

"Hi Ruby, Enquirer Newspaper here, would love to have a chat with you, if you could send me an email that would be great" kara@theenquirer.co.uk

"Good luck! I hope you win! Great baking skills ruby!"

"Hi Ruby,

I help to manage the Lakeland affiliate program, it would be great to discuss working with you site please drop me an email mwilcock@navigatedigital.com to discuss further."

"Good going, carry on…From star baker to the best baker"

"Hello Ruby BBC Essex would love to talk to you, I understand that you must be really busy but we wondered if you would be free to talk to us about your success on The Great British Bake off on our Breakfast show. You can call the Breakfast team on 01245 616 066 thank you Gaelan."

"Ruby would love to talk to you about an interview piece can you send us some contact info to info@kitchengoddess.co.uk or follow us on twitter (@kitchengoddess ) so we can dm you x"

"Your as gorgeous as your baking,,,, hope you win.david"

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I adore Howard, I want to take him home.:) I follow both him and Glenn on twitter, they tweet a lot, must be hard not to let slip what is going to happen! I told Glenn I loved the fact everything he cooked was so massive and he favourited it. :D

Ruby getting a bad press - read a tweet last night saying she is like one of the people at school who say they never study then always get an A.

Why was Kimberely so shocked she stayed? Not a chance in hell she was going last night.

I think Kimberley was shocked that Rob went because he'd gone all out & made a Dalek. Several of the contestants were very shocked that he was sent home.

Hapless Howard rises again! But I get the feeling Mary wants him to do something outstanding or she'll show no mercy.
  • Options
    SCD-ObserverSCD-Observer Posts: 18,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She's a popular girl! :)

"Hi Ruby, Enquirer Newspaper here, would love to have a chat with you, if you could send me an email that would be great" kara@theenquirer.co.uk

"Good luck! I hope you win! Great baking skills ruby!"

"Hi Ruby,

I help to manage the Lakeland affiliate program, it would be great to discuss working with you site please drop me an email mwilcock@navigatedigital.com to discuss further."

"Good going, carry on…From star baker to the best baker"

"Hello Ruby BBC Essex would love to talk to you, I understand that you must be really busy but we wondered if you would be free to talk to us about your success on The Great British Bake off on our Breakfast show. You can call the Breakfast team on 01245 616 066 thank you Gaelan."

"Ruby would love to talk to you about an interview piece can you send us some contact info to info@kitchengoddess.co.uk or follow us on twitter (@kitchengoddess ) so we can dm you x"

"Your as gorgeous as your baking,,,, hope you win.david"

Wow, I am impressed! :eek:
  • Options
    duncannduncann Posts: 11,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had mixed views about last night. I am beginning to find Mel and Sue irritating. They are trying too hard and should just cool it a bit. It isn't about them. They are merely ciphers.

The showstoppers were generally truly dreadful. If you went to a party you wouldn't want to even see most of those with the exception of Christine's. It was a stupid concept to be fair. Most of them were hopeless at designing something that wasn't structurally unsafe and elegant as well as edible-looking. Christine pulled it off probably because she put the most time into it at home and she is very experienced.

It's interesting how all of them have strengths and weakness - weaknesses to the point of disasters. You don't really see that on any other competitive show - this yo-yoing up and down between being the best and the worst. Last night it was Kimberley's chance to show that she can't do several things at all. She actually burnt her second round yet still put it forward, everyone else quickly made more as they only took 3 minutes to bake. I assume she had several goes. She was out of her depth. Then she designed a tower made of the crumbliest biscuits. I love those but I said straightaway: that is going to crack all over. Then Paul warned her! What was she thinking? Bet it tasted lovely though. I think she's my favourite, I like her recipes and she has a smile to light up the whole world of baking.

I loved Howard pulling it off on the last round, brilliant, though Mary's comments were unusually scathing and consequently very funny.

I have no time for moaning Ruby, though I quite like some of her recipes. Get over yourself! Why enter in the year of your finals and when you are a nervous wreck, or possibly overacting nervousness? I bet she practices at home endlessly! She's like those kids at school that say they did their homework rushed in three minutes but actually spent 3 hours on it with their mum and dad. I feel the edit (not Paul or Mary) is favouring her and she may even win though. I wish she would drop the glum face and the constant negativity, it's just as hard for everyone else, most of them are holding down a job, dear. I

I'm sorry but I had a good laugh at Frances last night at the end. She did well in the other 2 rounds but in the showstopper she was dire and Mel sent it up something rotten. Serves her right for bringing in all those over-designed things in the past. Personally, I think she has the wrong priorities. Make it tasty, keep it simple.

So bye bye to Rob, no surprise, the dalek idea was wrong on so many levels. Was he not star baker in week one? Who do I think will make the final: Christine, Kimberley - and Ruby, though I would prefer Glenn.
  • Options
    SummeririsSummeriris Posts: 649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Danny_Fry wrote: »
    Agree, total attention seeker

Oh, apart from the tears the first week, what has she done that can be called attention seeking? I didn't see the first episode. maybe I should watch it on IPlayer. So, she shed some tears in the first episode and this translates to attention seeking in this last episode?
  • Options
    CreamPuffCreamPuff Posts: 248
    Forum Member
    Osusana wrote: »
    Me too, do all my baking and pie-making etc by hand - I am convinced pastry tastes better if you have worked it rather than a machine

That's great if you are able to do it that way but for some of us with joint probems kitchen aids are a godsend.
  • Options
    Sammy2Sammy2 Posts: 2,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    duncann wrote: »
    Last night it was Kimberley's chance to show that she can't do several things at all. She actually burnt her second round yet still put it forward, everyone else quickly made more as they only took 3 minutes to bake.

I think, in her opinion, they weren't burnt.
    I think her VT comment was something along the lines 'today I learnt how those biscuits should be done' so she probably would have done more if she felt that they weren't good.
  • Options
    turquoiseblueturquoiseblue Posts: 2,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Danny_Fry wrote: »
    Agree, total attention seeker

Rubbish! You don't know this person at all and I can't see what you're on about. She certainly doesn't come across that way to me.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Osusana wrote: »

I must confess, I don't have a mixer/processor* because I can be so indecisive on which to buy that I end up not buying one. :D:o

*What's the difference between mixer and processor, anyway?

Edit: Good grief. I think I've just witnessed the birth of a divide on Ruby. I'll right over there, sitting on a bench far away. :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh that orange and white chocolate loaf cake looks wonderful.
This discussion has been closed.