Options

Anything in the house or you can buy to deter a house spider?

13»

Comments

• Options
    Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Baz O wrote: »
    immoral animal? scary! :D
    Ha ha! It's a quote from ages ago, IIRC someone on here said that anyone who had sex before marriage or more that 2 or 3 partners was an immoral animal. Made me LOL. :D
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glowbot wrote: »
    no but nearly spider one, he was more brown than spider one, but with fatter legs and a more rapey look in the eyes.
    I think he came from outside as I had been using the towel to sunbathe when he must have caught a glimpse of my perfect cheeks and decided he wanted a piece of this.

That would be a mature woodlouse spider, the pic shows a juvenile!
  • Options
    1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Baz O wrote: »
    I have trodden on a big spider in my bare feet ... horrible! it went squelch and I had to scrape it off my foot.

^^^^:eek:^^^^
  • Options
    Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read somewhere that we all swallow an average of 10 spiders during the course of a lifetime. Or was it a year? I forget. Anyway, the idea is that while you're a sleep a spider will accidentally walk/fall into your open mouth and you swallow it. Can't remember where I read it either... Maybe I should go to bed now :o

I believe that this theory has been debunked as a myth.
  • Options
    WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let's hope so! :o
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I believe that this theory has been debunked as a myth.

Yes that's right it's about 10 a week. It's very unusual for a night to go by without a spider spider going in your mouth, luckily they usually crawl out again. If you wake up in the night without a good cause it's usually because a spider ran over your face.
  • Options
    WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :eek:gaaaaaaaaa!!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The heel of a shoe normally gets rid of them. A quick clean-up and, hey presto, spider gone.
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like 'em.
    I always rescue them from the bath and put them somewhere else like the garage.
    A really big one ran across our living room floor once and I caught it and released it outside the front door.
    Ten minutes later a really big one ran across our living room floor...........
    The best is when you cup them in both hands, then when you go to release them they're not there :o

I have some really good close ups of spiders I've rescued and released :cool:
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The heel of a shoe normally gets rid of them. A quick clean-up and, hey presto, spider gone.
    Unless it's running over someone's face.....
  • Options
    MadMoo40MadMoo40 Posts: 1,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know that a lot of people will dismiss this but from personal experience I find conkers deter most spiders. I place a couple on every window sill and by every doorway. I've not seen a really large spider in the three years I've been doing this.

I tried this .... but then found one of the conkers covered in cobweb, so I guess it didn't work :cry::cry:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    Buy loads of car door mirrors and scatter them round the garden.
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Garden spiders I have no problem with at all and actually find them fascinating, but when it comes to house spiders they really freak me out. I have the vacuum cleaner on permanent standby! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just start charging rent they'll soon get the hint and bugger off
  • Options
    mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spray starch - scares them stiff. You get a nice spider table decoration into the bargain :D
  • Options
    Mystic DaveMystic Dave Posts: 1,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Encourage the birds, esp robins, as they eat them outside.

Alternatively,

https://www.google.co.uk/#psj=1&q=spider+repellent+plug&tbm=shop