Options

Is JASON the reason why Dancing On Ice bit the dust ? - No place 4 'RUDE' On SUNDAY

Comments

• Options
    wazzyboywazzyboy Posts: 13,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps the producers should have taken the opportunity to ask for a different approach given that this is the last year and according to Jane was meant to be positive and a celebration of the show. Jason was doing OK till the comment to Kyran and interrupting Karen, up to then I thought maybe he'd been asked to be more constructive and was doing so. What with that and the Jorgie/Sylvain issue I think the producers have already dented the positivity!
  • Options
    Cally's mumCally's mum Posts: 4,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's the reason I didn't watch at all last season (and I have watched all the series from its inception up to that point). So they lost a long-time viewer there - because he was brought back in order to generate interest because of his nasty, below the belt comments that add nothing to the entertainment and I refuse to watch him.

Quite frankly, if people find sheer nastiness entertaining then I despair of the human race (or would do had I not despaired of it a long time ago).

I love Craig Revell-Horwood on SCD because he is not nasty; he makes brilliantly funny comments with his tongue very firmly in his cheek and puts up with an awful lot of abuse himself with a big smile - and comes across as a lovely guy. His comments are also incredibly constructive and don't tend to get into the 'nasty personal' domain that seem to be Jason's stock-in-trade.

I am Sky +ing this series as I do want to watch the previous champs. But this way means I can (a) fast forward through the interminable ads and also I don't have to listen to Jason at all.

Best way to watch it, in my view.
  • Options
    Grumpy_AlanGrumpy_Alan Posts: 1,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He can certainly be rude at times but at least he tries to make some constructive comments as well.

Better to have him, with all of his faults than the terminally boring, permanently petulant Karen who barely makes any worthwhile comments, almost always marks the same as Robin and seems to forget that the judging is supposed to be based on the performance they have just seen rather than on some trivia that happened at some time when she was 'coaching' the contestant(s).
  • Options
    *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wazzyboy wrote: »
    Then unfortunately came the "armpit" comment to Kyran, and his interrupting of Karen (for the record he should not interrupt anyone IMO, though he seems to do it most to her).

I agree it's wrong to interrupt other judges while they are commenting on the skaters, but Karen too often comments on Jason's comments, so he's entitled to reply to that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *Sparkle* wrote: »
    I agree it's wrong to interrupt other judges while they are commenting on the skaters, but Karen too often comments on Jason's comments, so he's entitled to reply to that.

I actually agree with that, though it does descend into silliness and they are both as bad as each other at times. At least though, she doesn't actually interrupt him when it is his turn to comment.
  • Options
    olivejolivej Posts: 14,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    no, he's not, DOI didnt have to invite him back - he was dropped for a series and replaced by Louis, if Jason WAS the reason that DOI has bit the dust the its their own fault for inviting him back! I dont believe for one second that Jason IS the reason for DOI biting the dust, I dont think DOI has bitten the dust, I think the T&D have decided that this will be the final series, it coincides with their 30 year Bolero win and its a nice way to end a series
  • Options
    DrifterDrifter Posts: 12,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NO and that's based more on FACT than opinion. Can't believe people are saying yes, just because they dislike him, when reality tells a different story.

1) Why would the show have become so huge in the first place? Don't delude yourselves - Jason has made OTT comments since day one. They are no better or worse now, although actually I think last year he had toned it down! If Jason is the reason DOI has fallen, then it would never have got so big in the first place.

2) Why then, when he left in 2012, did the ratings take the biggest slump they've ever had? Clearly no Jason did not entice viewers. I'm not saying that's why people stopped watching (Louie Spence was probably more of a turn off) but it clearly doesn't point to anything being Jason's fault.

3) As most of us know the show has become repetitive and less about the routines, which themselves have become tired - those are your reasons, not Jason. No agendas here are going to work, there's certainly no facts to back it up.
  • Options
    sixtynotoutsixtynotout Posts: 1,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xKatieLx wrote: »
    I'd agree, the judges are there to give constructive criticism. I don't understand how his comments to Kyran, interrupting Karen and comments to her are constructive. His attention seeking is incredibly annoying and off putting. Listening to his criticisms are boring and the way the show portrays this "Oh what will Jason say / do next, how exciting will it be" card isn't very exciting but more of a broken record.

Completely agree. I much preferred Louie Spence, much kinder and didn't take himself too seriously. Jason is just on the panel to cause upset by being rude to everyone he doesn't like and ridiculously over marking the ones he does like.
  • Options
    UnrealityTVUnrealityTV Posts: 1,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you lot go to the panto and then come out all upset about the baddie's behaviour? Do get over yourselves, it's just a bit of lighthearted televised frippery - not a matter of life and death!
  • Options
    JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you lot go to the panto and then come out all upset about the baddie's behaviour? Do get over yourselves, it's just a bit of lighthearted televised frippery - not a matter of life and death!

He's obviously not a very good actor then. With Craig RH you know he's nice underneath. Jason has never shown anything likeable and his comments often go too far. Sad little man.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JamieHT wrote: »
    He's obviously not a very good actor then. With Craig RH you know he's nice underneath. Jason has never shown anything likeable and his comments often go too far. Sad little man.
    Not half as sad as those getting all uptight on here. You lot are doing EXACTLY what the DOI producers want - talking about it. TV baddies thrive on the oxygen of publicity.

If you want Jason to go away, ignore his comments. But you won't, will you? You'll all be uber hypocritical and criticise him for being insulting... while at the same time being insulting (towards him) yourselves.

Irony seems to go way over a lot of people's heads these days...
  • Options
    thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,624
    Forum Member
    ABCZYX wrote: »
    Jason came off worse during their argument tonight. He interrupted Karen when she tried to give her comments to Kyran, when she didn't interrupt him and his "drone on" comment was nasty.

Its all poor panto, or Karen just understands nothing. Last night the problem was Jason giving Joe a mark that was too high - for so called entertainment more suited to kids at a panto. However, the only reason to give him a high mark was that a lower, more accurate, mark would have built his vote. If Jason had done that, Joe could have scrapped out of the dance off and they could have faced a choice between Bonnie and Hayley/Kyran or Gareth Either Karen knows this and has been told to start an irrelevant argument, or she fails to understand whats going on at all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not half as sad as those getting all uptight on here. You lot are doing EXACTLY what the DOI producers want - talking about it. TV baddies thrive on the oxygen of publicity.

If you want Jason to go away, ignore his comments. But you won't, will you? You'll all be uber hypocritical and criticise him for being insulting... while at the same time being insulting (towards him) yourselves.

It's not ironic, it is however, extremely patronising, something you probably learnt from your idol Jason.

I was replying to a thread. I honestly believe he does put people off. If you don't want to hear the comments about him, don't come into this thread. I also don't believe this forum counts as publicity.
  • Options
    GeorgiecatsGeorgiecats Posts: 6,628
    Forum Member
    He made a personal remark just for effect, no other reason. Sometimes he can be really fair and I support Jason, but then he says something petty like this - thank goodness Kyran is big enough to take the flak - as he'd wipe the floor with Jason by his wig if it was a fight. I know the fights with Karen are all for effect but you can see she rises to the bait as she's ready to explode whereas Jason just says something flippant and picks up his pay check.
  • Options
    SliverOfDiamondSliverOfDiamond Posts: 1,465
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

We may be talking about it, but we're not watching it, which I suspect is not what the producers want at all.

I will not be seeing Jason this year, or any adverts, I find both obnoxious and tedious.
  • Options
    TerryM22TerryM22 Posts: 19,463
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We may be talking about it, but we're not watching it, which I suspect is not what the producers want at all.

I will not be seeing Jason this year, or any adverts, I find both obnoxious and tedious.

I must admit I am reluctant to tune in on Sunday to see more of Jason, I wonder if many more feel the same way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not ironic, it is however, extremely patronising, something you probably learnt from your idol Jason

Oh please, stop embarrassing yourself.

The irony is in people complaining about someone being insulting... by insulting them. Can you really not see that? Actually it's more hypocrisy, but it's ironic nevertheless.

Every television has an off switch. If you don't like DOI, use it and go and do something more constructive with your Sunday evenings.

Then those of us who treat this kind of televisual frippery for exactly what it is - just a bit of silly, mind-switch-off entertainment before heading back to work on a Monday - can watch it without all this pathetic bleating from the self-righteous DS hordes who obviously have such an easy time of it that they have nothing more important to get upset about.

If you don't want to be 'patronised' (sic), then I suggest you start being a bit more mature about the utter inconsequentiality of DOI and find something to rant about that is actually worth getting het up over.
  • Options
    *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Then those of us who treat this kind of televisual frippery for exactly what it is - just a bit of silly, mind-switch-off entertainment before heading back to work on a Monday - can watch it without all this pathetic bleating from the self-righteous DS hordes who obviously have such an easy time of it that they have nothing more important to get upset about.

I do wonder who it is that gets that worked up about this sort of thing. Apart from a couple of comments, said many moons ago, I don't think Jason is particularly bad. I think some people decided a long time ago they didn't like Jason, and they thought him rude, and now see every benign comment as outrageous.

IMO, Karen makes things far worse by making a big deal out of every comment. It's now almost impossible for contestants to laugh those things off without offending Karen.

I don't mind Jason on the show, but the whining about Jason on this forum is definitely very unattractive. I wish the people who claim to hate him would do as they threaten and switch off their tvs, or mute his bits, and stop trying to bring the rest of us down to your miserable level.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *Sparkle* wrote: »
    I do wonder who it is that gets that worked up about this sort of thing. Apart from a couple of comments, said many moons ago, I don't think Jason is particularly bad. I think some people decided a long time ago they didn't like Jason, and they thought him rude, and now see every benign comment as outrageous.

IMO, Karen makes things far worse by making a big deal out of every comment. It's now almost impossible for contestants to laugh those things off without offending Karen.

I don't mind Jason on the show, but the whining about Jason on this forum is definitely very unattractive. I wish the people who claim to hate him would do as they threaten and switch off their tvs, or mute his bits, and stop trying to bring the rest of us down to your miserable level.

Its a shame that you attribute words to others that they have not used.
  • Options
    tellytart1tellytart1 Posts: 3,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also think Karen has no right to be on the judging panel.

She is a coach/mentor to the contestants, therefore she has a conflict of interest when it come to judging their performance, as she frequently marks based on what she's seen of them in training, and not on what they did on the ice in front of the judges.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Every television has an off switch. If you don't like DOI, use it and go and do something more constructive with your Sunday evenings.

Similarly, it is possible to watch a TV show without being made conscious of the opinions of others on this forum, and the risk that these may be unpalateble, by avoiding this forum.

I've contemplated same on more than one occasion, but fortunately and with the usual reflection that follows frustration, the decent stuff outweighs the dross for me.
  • Options
    Grumpy_AlanGrumpy_Alan Posts: 1,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tellytart1 wrote: »
    I also think Karen has no right to be on the judging panel.

She is a coach/mentor to the contestants, therefore she has a conflict of interest when it come to judging their performance, as she frequently marks based on what she's seen of them in training, and not on what they did on the ice in front of the judges.

Well said.

She, perhaps more than Jason, does devalue the panel with her general attitude. She is assuredly biased towards her coaching favourites and never really offers any constructive comment other than platitudes. I am sure that, off-screen and in her real life she is a thoroughly pleasant person but unfortunately on the DOI panel she comes across as a somewhat miserable, charisma and personality free presence.

Jason may be abrasive but he tries to be helpful and more often than not succeeds.

Robin can be a little bland at times but he always makes a very real effort to encourage with his comments.

Ashley is always enthusiastic and tries her hardest to be constructive.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh please, stop embarrassing yourself.

The irony is in people complaining about someone being insulting... by insulting them. Can you really not see that? Actually it's more hypocrisy, but it's ironic nevertheless.

If you don't want to be 'patronised' (sic), then I suggest you start being a bit more mature about the utter inconsequentiality of DOI and find something to rant about that is actually worth getting het up over.

I completely understand why you think it's ironic, I just don't agree. This is a forum for expressing one's opinions, so I use that privilege. You have no right to ask me to stop. The show is called Dancing on Ice, so funnily enough I like to watch it for that. I'm not going to switch off because of one boring individual gagging for publicity. Taking a leaf out of your book, if you don't want to read these comments, don't come in here. Trying to dismiss all the negative comments about him the way you do is silly and you obviously don't have anything else more important to get upset about, otherwise you wouldn't be getting so het up about these comments. What about the positive comments? Surely they are equally as inconsequential about 'this kind of televisual frippery?' I haven't seen you picking up on those.

As I said before, I came in here to answer the thread title and all I have done is reply to people since then, as is polite. I will continue to do so however you try to dismiss my comments.
    Well said.

She, perhaps more than Jason, does devalue the panel with her general attitude. She is assuredly biased towards her coaching favourites and never really offers any constructive comment other than platitudes. I am sure that, off-screen and in her real life she is a thoroughly pleasant person but unfortunately on the DOI panel she comes across as a somewhat miserable, charisma and personality free presence.

Jason may be abrasive but he tries to be helpful and more often than not succeeds.

Robin can be a little bland at times but he always makes a very real effort to encourage with his comments.

Ashley is always enthusiastic and tries her hardest to be constructive.

I agree that Ashley is enthusiastic but I really felt she didn't give much constructive criticism this week. I think she seems lovely but is completely wrong for this show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I completely understand why you think it's ironic, I just don't agree. This is a forum for expressing one's opinions, so I use that privilege. You have no right to ask me to stop. The show is called Dancing on Ice, so funnily enough I like to watch it for that. I'm not going to switch off because of one boring individual gagging for publicity. Taking a leaf out of your book, if you don't want to read these comments, don't come in here. Trying to dismiss all the negative comments about him the way you do is silly and you obviously don't have anything else more important to get upset about, otherwise you wouldn't be getting so het up about these comments. What about the positive comments? Surely they are equally as inconsequential about 'this kind of televisual frippery?' I haven't seen you picking up on those.

As I said before, I came in here to answer the thread title and all I have done is reply to people since then, as is polite. I will continue to do so however you try to dismiss my comments.

I agree that Ashley is enthusiastic but I really felt she didn't give much constructive criticism this week. I think she seems lovely but is completely wrong for this show.

I must admit that I wouldn't go as far to say that she is wrong for the show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TerryM22 wrote: »
    I must admit that I wouldn't go as far to say that she is wrong for the show.

She'd be more suited to a presenting role, but I love Christine.