Options

Are you feeling left out of the Ice Bucket Challenge?

Comments

• Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've watched some on Youtube.........
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkO4NIqAMss

Watch the above, the wonderful Patrick Stewart has officially brought this silly trend to an end

Well done :)

Brilliant. Using an ice bucket for what it was designed for.
  • Options
    abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    I hope this pathetic fad dies away sooner like they all do. The fads just get more stupid and stupid. If you want to donate to charity donate money but don't act like an idiot and do the ice bucket challenge like a child.
    I bet you are the life and soul at parties!
  • Options
    cjsmummycjsmummy Posts: 11,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    toastietoastie Posts: 2,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LIZALYNN wrote: »
    A daft fad. I know it looks funny but what's wrong with donating to charity anonymously.

They wouldn't get any attention from donating anonymously.
  • Options
    BoselectaBoselecta Posts: 1,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The "Fear Of Missing Out" gene must have skipped my generation plus I'm not on any social media so it all just passes me by. Fair play if folks want to raise money for good causes but I'm happy to just donate in a tax-efficient way via payroll giving and leave the posing for naked calendars, sitting in a bath of baked beans, getting drenched in cold water, shaving bonces etc to others.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not feeling left out at all. If I'm going to do something for a worthy cause, I'd rather do it because I thought of doing it myself. That's just me though.
  • Options
    duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can anyone tell why raising money for the dreadful disease MND is to be scoffed at and ridiculed ?
    My Dad had MND and every cent the charity get is amazing
    If people on this thread are not keen on the idea then fair enough . But allow others do what they feel is right .
    The winner is MND charity and research so to each his own
    Thank you to all who donate regardless of the path they take
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    duckylucky wrote: »
    Can anyone tell why raising money for the dreadful disease MND is to be scoffed at and ridiculed ?

It's not. It's the fact so many people are donating to other charities and weren't even aware it was intended for MND that bugs me. Not to mention the people who are just doing it because everyone else is, without donating anything to anyone.

I just posted a link to the MND website to several friends on Facebook and they've now donated to them as well as MacMillan. :)
  • Options
    duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cjsmummy wrote: »
    It's not. It's the fact so many people are donating to other charities and weren't even aware it was intended for MND that bugs me. Not to mention the people who are just doing it because everyone else is, without donating anything to anyone.

I just posted a link to the MND website to several friends on Facebook and they've now donated to them as well as MacMillan. :)

Thats great cjsmum . Here in Ireland it seems to be all going to MND . But any charity is deserving of a few cent. .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thats great cjsmum . Here in Ireland it seems to be all going to MND . But any charity is deserving of a few cent. .

True, but I just think it's rather distasteful of other charities hijacking this campaign. It's taking away from the intended charity, which is poor show imho.
  • Options
    EbonyHamsterEbonyHamster Posts: 8,175
    Forum Member
    You could always do the morning selfie

Beyond a joke now *rolleyes*
  • Options
    kitty86kitty86 Posts: 7,034
    Forum Member
    You could always do the morning selfie

Beyond a joke now *rolleyes*

What charity is that for then?
  • Options
    lightdragonlightdragon Posts: 19,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have no problems with the charity doing what it has to do in order to raise funds, but I've heard that even they are a little embarrassed by having to use a vanity project to do it.

I just despair that all fundraising now will be done through viral campaigns where people do something silly, it makes me sad to think the future will be charity only through self promotion. :( I also wonder how many know anything more about ALS/ MND than before and how many actually care what the charity is. :(
  • Options
    123keithy123123keithy123 Posts: 351
    Forum Member
    It is raising money for a charity which is great.

As always with anything which catches on.
    it slowly becomes a kind of attention seeking fad.
    Which is a real shame.

I have seen a few videos on youtube where the person receiving the Ice filled bucket does not even mention a charity which just screams LOOK AT ME LOOKE AT ME I have a bucket of water just like all those "inspirational" celebrities.

It becomes similar to those people who re tweet and Share good causes every 5 minutes and spread terrible stories about battling cancer and so forth.

We live in a day and age where we can draw attention and raise awareness to something so quickly without the use of TV and Radio which is incredible but I am quite cynical on the reasons why people just cant resoundingly agree to make a donation to a charity without having to tell the world about it.

Its a blemish on our society that the only way we can whip up a charitable frenzy is by having it celebrity endorsed.

The whole challenge seems to come across as a kind of passive aggressive self importance challenge where it is deemed who is and who is not eligible to give to charity its a very strange fad indeed.

Also my favourite charity is Wateraid so to see all that fresh water go to waste is just like :o

Couldn't it be called the air bucket challenge or the my own urine challenge.
  • Options
    EbonyHamsterEbonyHamster Posts: 8,175
    Forum Member
    kitty86 wrote: »
    What charity is that for then?

Cancer
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is raising money for a charity which is great.

As always with anything which catches on.
    it slowly becomes a kind of attention seeking fad.
    Which is a real shame.

I have seen a few videos on youtube where the person receiving the Ice filled bucket does not even mention a charity which just screams LOOK AT ME LOOKE AT ME I have a bucket of water just like all those "inspirational" celebrities.

It becomes similar to those people who re tweet and Share good causes every 5 minutes and spread terrible stories about battling cancer and so forth.

We live in a day and age where we can draw attention and raise awareness to something so quickly without the use of TV and Radio which is incredible but I am quite cynical on the reasons why people just cant resoundingly agree to make a donation to a charity without having to tell the world about it.

Its a blemish on our society that the only way we can whip up a charitable frenzy is by having it celebrity endorsed.

The whole challenge seems to come across as a kind of passive aggressive self importance challenge where it is deemed who is and who is not eligible to give to charity its a very strange fad indeed.

Also my favourite charity is Wateraid so to see all that fresh water go to waste is just like :o

Couldn't it be called the air bucket challenge or the my own urine challenge.

Well put. It's turned into an attention seeking farce, and I refuse to join in. I have donated though.
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Not necessarily. Brendan O'Carroll has done it for Marie Keating foundation. I've also seen a few people doing it for the local hospice.

A friend of mine who lost her father to MND has been pretty annoyed about it being hijacked by other charities
  • Options
    Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    If people on this thread are not keen on the idea then fair enough . But allow others do what they feel is right .
    The winner is MND charity and research so to each his own
    Thank you to all who donate regardless of the path they take

Unfortunately, an awful lot of the people joining in are just doing it for attention and aren't donating a penny.
  • Options
    U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Boselecta wrote: »
    The "Fear Of Missing Out" gene must have skipped my generation plus I'm not on any social media so it all just passes me by. Fair play if folks want to raise money for good causes but I'm happy to just donate in a tax-efficient way via payroll giving and leave the posing for naked calendars, sitting in a bath of baked beans, getting drenched in cold water, shaving bonces etc to others.

Proper Bo ah tell thee.Can I get a rewind!.:D
    Same here.I don't do this run with the pack shite.
  • Options
    DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 110,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    A work colleague friend of mine has threatened to nominate me but I told him I don't use facebook
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    I've been 'challenged' (or nominated) to do it.

No way on earth. (I already donate to charity, without tipping stuff over myself.)
  • Options
    bollywoodbollywood Posts: 67,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope this pathetic fad dies away sooner like they all do. The fads just get more stupid and stupid. If you want to donate to charity donate money but don't act like an idiot and do the ice bucket challenge like a child.

Unfortunately your marketing idea of just donating if you want to resulted in one million last year while the pathetic fad resulted in 41 million and rising.
  • Options
    Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member
    This reminds me of Hugh Grant saying that if the new newspaper regulator imposed a £1 million fine on a paper he would donate £1 million to charity. I thought at the time that if he can effectively gamble £1 million he should just donate it.
    bollywood wrote: »
    Unfortunately your marketing idea of just donating if you want to resulted in one million last year while the pathetic fad resulted in 41 million and rising.

Well, you can't argue that it doesn't work.
  • Options
    bollywoodbollywood Posts: 67,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This reminds me of Hugh Grant saying that if the new newspaper regulator imposed a £1 million fine on a paper he would donate £1 million to charity. I thought at the time that if he can effectively gamble £1 million he should just donate it.

Well, you can't argue that it doesn't work.

I agree totally. On another thread I even offered to donate $50
    If a particular critic threw a bucket of virtual ice water on me. How easy is that?