• howardlhowardl Posts: 5,120
    Forum Member
    djfunnyman wrote: »
    Good football ground, over than that quite average

You are joking.
  • JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    guttridge wrote: »
    Has anyone been here before. got to go there over the weekend. Not heard too many nice things about the city. What is it know for . and are there any good places to vist in this town?
    Take the train, leave the car at home.
  • TissyTissy Posts: 45,747
    Forum Member
    dome wrote: »
    Old town is the better part, otherwise think Crawley.

The magic roundabout is fun though.

Particularly on Xmas morning when the only other car on it was a police car :)

Would hate to go on it at a busy time :o
  • missy83missy83 Posts: 14,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I live there and have ever since I was born.

Swindon gets a slagging but it's no worse than any other place.

As for your visit it depends on what you like to do.

Shopping wise the town centre is pretty ordinary with all the usual high street shops but it does all look fairly drab (they are currently building a new leisure park but sadly it won't be ready til next year). The Outlet Village is aesthetically much nicer (although I never manage to find anything I like there).

Restaurant wise the Old Town area is probably your best bet I like Fratellos. The Weighbridge is very popular as well.

In terms of things to do there is a small museum and art gallery in Old Town which is free to visit and the railway museum near the Outlet Village called Steam.There is a charge to go there though. Oh and the Museum Of Computing in the town centre which is good if you like looking at old games consoles!. Swindon has 2 parks in the centre of town (Queens Park is a short walk from the main shopping area and Town Gardens is in Old Town). There is also Lydiard Park nearby
  • highking1014highking1014 Posts: 1,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have been in a soulless wee place called Swinton but not Swindon
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    The sweat from Satan's crotch is more palatable. It literally has no redeeming features at all.
    Forum Member
    missy83 wrote: »
    I live there and have ever since I was born.

Swindon gets a slagging but it's no worse than any other place.

Tbh, you'd be hard-pressed to find anywhere worse than Swindon.
  • Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member
    Swindon may look rather uninspiring, but there are lot worse towns out there. Saying that, they do have one of the grottiest travel lodges in the Country. We stayed there and the room was grim.Not only that but you had some sort of salvation army refuge next to it. We could actually see some of the residents getting jiggy with it.
  • Alan1981Alan1981 Posts: 5,416
    Forum Member

Bradford, Plymouth, Scunthorpe.. I think you need to travel a bit further if you think Swindon is the worst place you have ever been to.
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If you think Swindon is bad, come and see Hatfield, Stevenage and Hemel Hempstead.

Swindon looks like Monaco in comparison :D
  • DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The villages nearby are very nice. Swindon itself, not so much. The roundabout does my head in.

Not a bad place, though.
  • timebugtimebug Posts: 18,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I went to Swindon once.It was closed for refurbishing,I think.....
  • davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    guttridge wrote: »
    Your bright !

Your bright what?

Oh sorry, you meant You're bright, I guess.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only time I've ever been to Swindon was an overnight stay on the station because I missed my connection at midnght.
    There was sod all open, even for a cold drink. The bench was bloody freezing. There were two of us in the shelter, and the other bloke snored all night and talked in his sleep. At 3am someone staggered onto the platform and p'd everywhere, so I had to move or swim. The clock was immediately next to the shelter and ticked louder than Big Ben's chimes. And the morning connection was 45 minutes late.
    Other than that, it seemed alright. :D
  • tangsmantangsman Posts: 3,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GWR
    XTC
    Arkells 3B
    The Magic Roundabout

Gotta love Swindon😊
    Forum Member
    Alan1981 wrote: »
    Bradford, Plymouth, Scunthorpe.. I think you need to travel a bit further if you think Swindon is the worst place you have ever been to.

You misread what I said. I know full well that there are places as bad as Swindon. I'm less convinced that there are many places worse than Swindon. Plymouth is a ****hole, yes. But it's not worse than Swindon.
  • VulpesVulpes Posts: 1,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You misread what I said. I know full well that there are places as bad as Swindon. I'm less convinced that there are many places worse than Swindon. Plymouth is a ****hole, yes. But it's not worse than Swindon.

The beauty of opinion, ay - I think Swindon is the best place in England, you think it's the worst.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    If you think Swindon is bad, come and see Hatfield, Stevenage and Hemel Hempstead.
    I thought it was Hatfield and the North.
    When did it shrink?