Worst Sitcoms of All Time

Comments

• 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mike_1101 wrote: »
    At the risk of making myself umpopular I would nominate "Gavin & Stacey".

It gets rave reviews but having seen it a few times I just don't get the humour at all.

Probably puts me in a minority though.

Every time roly-poly unfunny man James Corden appears I could put my foot through the screen! He's awful!
  • allafixallafix Posts: 20,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I cannot stand the "generic" US sitcoms, all the same in essence, the worse offenders are:
    The Big Bang Theory
    Friends
    How I Met Your Mother
    Will & Grace
    Everybody Loves Raymond
    Joey
    Sh~t My Dad Says
    That 70's Show
    etc etc etc

They have produced a few gems though..
    Frasier
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    Cheers
    Seinfeld
    The Big Bang Theory is actually pretty good. I agree with the rest of your list though.
    JohnQuig wrote: »
    Try googling before you open your mouth. It's "Vicious" and it's also brilliant - renewed for a second series.
    On The Buses was renewed a few times, as was Mind Your Langauge. It's no proof of quality.

Ian McKellen and Derek Jacobi are superb actors. I wanted to like Vicious but the script is cliched. I found it completely unwatchable.
    Microkorg wrote: »
    Orrible
    Two Pints...
    Ad Fab
    Gavin & Stacey
    The Office
    I like The Office but it isn't everyone's cup of tea and it isn't really a traditional sitcom anyway. But Gavin & Stacey and Ab Fab were high quality and well written comedies. Ab Fab did go downhill a bit later. I don't see how either can be classed as bad sitcoms.

Sitcoms are made or broken by the quality of the writing. The plots and the characters have to be believable. Poor ones like My Family just throw "funny situations" at a regular cast of dysfunctional stereotypes.

My worst sitcom list would include:

Mind Your Language
    Love Thy Neighbour
    On The Buses
    George and Mildred
    The Upper Hand
    Trippers Day
    My Family
    Life of Riley
    Vicious
    The Royal Bodyguard
  • endersandoaksendersandoaks Posts: 305
    Forum Member
    Has any mentioned the comedy Liza Tatbuck did on ITV when she imagined the fella from her fav TV programme. That wasn't good.
  • Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    Mad About Alice with that talentless waste of human skin, Amanda Holden.
  • yorksdaveyorksdave Posts: 3,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Heil Honey I'm Home was pulled after the first episode and filming of the remaining seven commissioned was cancelled by the old BSkyB. It portrayed Adolf Hitler and Eva Braun in 1938 living next door to a Jewish couple and conspiring to murder them.The episode was screened in September 1990 (actually straight after a repeat of Dad's Army).The writer, Geoff Atkinson, protested it was more in the spirit of Allo, Allo ridiculing the Nazis but Sky executives failed to see the joke.Apparently the biggest mystery was how it came to be commissioned in the first place.

The first episode is on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mf9jJx0NSjw

Talk about bad taste, the only person that could have pulled this off is Mel Brooks, the fact is it just is not funny. It was commissioned by BSB before it was taken over/ merged with Sky, and aired on their general entertainment channel Galaxy.
  • Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    Brush Strokes
    Bread
    One Foot In The Grave
    Last Of The Summer Wine
    Birds Of A Feather
    Only Fools And Horses
    My Hero
    Keeping Up Appearances

Some well-respected ones in there but that's more to do with me only liking sitcoms with a certain tone.
  • Olls~Olls~ Posts: 3,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The worst one has to be The Wright Way :o Awful.
  • LyceumLyceum Posts: 3,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not going out - Surprised I didn't like this because I generally think Lee Mack is funny. But Tim Vine is about as funny as a root canal.

Only Fools - love David Jason but generally never once found this funny.

League of Gentlemen - it just wasn't funny, not even remotely.

Gavin & Stacey. James Cordon has as much acting ability as my blind 15 year old Cat.

The Office - I find Ricky Gervais genuinely cringe worthy. In interviews. Sketches anything I've ever seen him do I have cringed at how appallingly talentless and shit he is.
  • Bryant N MayBryant N May Posts: 597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The worst sitcoms ever are probably those long forgotten by most but like the previous poster I never 'got' the League of Gentlemen and used to half expect the writers to reveal it was an 'emperor's new clothes' style scam but I assume it wasn't.

As for older ones, when I catch a bit of an old repeat of sitcoms popular in the 70s I usually find myself scratching my head wondering what people used to laugh at. I guess that just shows how humour has changed though and I think become more sophisticated, whether for better or worse.

Slightly more recently I never cracked even a smile watching what little I did of Bread and have never found a single moment of what I saw of Last of the Summer Wine funny. Always wondered if both had a northern based following since sense of humour can be regional.

The one episode I watched of Vicious was truly appalling and embarassing to see two such fine actors in what I thought was tripe.
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I keep watching 'on the buses'. Even though I find it seems to be written by people who hate the working class.

Stan and jack are meant to be our 'hero's', sticking it too the man. Blakey. So, what's blakey's big crime? Wanting to run an effective public service, one people rely on to get to work or go to the shops.

If blakey was a bastard, I'd see the point. But jacks a militant union duche, wanting something for nothing, stans a feckless incompetent. And, poor olive, Is just a door-mat. Perpetuating the ideal that women are useless if their not beautiful.

It's hateful shit. And I don't know who the bigger fool is. The working class audience of the 70's for watching this garbage then, of me for watching it 40 years later....
  • catboy71catboy71 Posts: 471
    Forum Member
    Big Top
  • david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Sky produced so called comedies are all terrible. I've never laughed once during a Sky so called comedy.

There have been good and bad comedies on ITV and BBC throughout the years ( but fewer hilariuous episodes throughout the entire episodes on more of the BBC than the ITV ones)

Brush Strokes was nowhere near as funny as Man about the House. And Only When I laugh was funnier for entire episode (and every episode of every series) than Only Fools and Horses that was funny only some of the time (occasionally funny the entire episode).
  • LittleByLittleLittleByLittle Posts: 346
    Forum Member
    So What Now?
    Outnumbered
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lyceum wrote: »

The Office - I find Ricky Gervais genuinely cringe worthy. In interviews. Sketches anything I've ever seen him do I have cringed at how appallingly talentless and shit he is.

I totally agree.

And yet Gervais has this appalling arrogance and smugness as if he was the greatest performer who ever lived. Although I'm sure in Gervais' own opinion, he is.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BREAD must be near the top of the worst sitcom charts.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How dare you!:D It was hilarious. No it wasn't subtle, but it was well cast, well performed, and very entertaining. The mother nearly stole that series, she's an example of a long gone type, reminds me a bit of the old women my nan used to know.:D Barbara Lott was a sensation in it. And it's certainly a lot funnier than any sitcom now...if indeed they still exist.:;-)

SORRY is being repeated on Gold in the afternoons at the moment. I rather like it too. :)
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lyceum wrote: »
    Not going out - Surprised I didn't like this because I generally think Lee Mack is funny. But Tim Vine is about as funny as a root canal.

League of Gentlemen - it just wasn't funny, not even remotely.
    Two of the funniest programmes ever to be shown on television.
  • yorksdaveyorksdave Posts: 3,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Olls~ wrote: »
    The worst one has to be The Wright Way :o Awful.

Agreed, truly awful, Ben Elton sunk to a new low when he wrote this, I also nominate Citizen Khan, which does nothing to promote multi-cultural Britain.
  • feckitfeckit Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hallelujah! - Antics of an old woman and the Sally Army.

Sorry - Antics of a picked on son and his Mum

Fresh Fields - Antics of a husband and wife

Terry and June - Antics of a husband and wife

After You've Gone - Antics of a man and his mother-in-law

Life of Riley - Antics of a dysfunctional family.

Supernova - Antics of an inept astronomer

So What Now? - Antics of Lee Evans and his slobbish friend
  • via_487via_487 Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is very much a matter of individual taste, which is why none of us are going to agree on shows we like and those we hate.
    I think it also depends on whether we are seeing these as nostalgia or history...

But for mine:

Sitcoms I thought were dreadful:

Are You Being Served
    On The Buses
    Terry and June

Sitcoms I liked:
    2.4 Children - it was good! I watched this as a kid and their home was a lot like ours.
    Which is why we also tuned into Roseane every week. :)
  • SemillionSemillion Posts: 612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BREAD must be near the top of the worst sitcom charts.

Oh that was dire; dreary characters that had nothing likeable at all about them. Awful awful theme song too.

Home to Roost - with the late John Thaw. Great actor but even he admitted that show was his biggest mistake. Apparently he hated making it.

Next of Kin - Penelope Keith.

Brush Strokes - about as funny as a church on fire.

Are You Being Served? (the Australian version with John Inman) - just unspeakably bad.

Married with Children

Big Bang Theory

How I Met Your Mother

Bless This House

Father Dear Father
  • snafu65snafu65 Posts: 18,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most of the ITV sitcoms from the 70's were terrible with Mind Your Language being particularly horrible. More recently there was The Royal Bodyguard and, also starring David Jason funnily enough, the Open All Hours special last Christmas, both terrible.

Also:
    'Orrible starring Johnny Vaughn, aptly named.
    Bread, never liked Carla Lane's stuff.
    Mad About Alice, starred Amanda Holden and Jamie Theakston, enough said.
    The Brittas Empire.
    You Rang M'Lord.

I also vaguely remember a sitcom from SKY in it's very early days about Adolf Hitler and Eva Braun in the style of an American sitcom. ( a quick Google search tells me it was called Heil Honey I'm Home, seriously, and was aired in 1990. It only lasted one episode!)
  • MadsocksMadsocks Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This thread would have made a good sit-com. I'm laughing at some of the suggestions people put for the "worst sit-com". ;)

Bread? Game On? OFAH? On The Buses? Deary me today! :D

Anyway, no-one is probably going to agree with my suggestions (my type of comedy and taste seems different to others) but here goes; these are the sit-com's I find utterly awful, ridiculous, shocking, crap and any other similar wordings.

The Office - Gervais is unfunny anyway, and so this "comedy" was just going to go the same way
    Friends - Typical American tripe that everyone lauded over, the "stars" got paid a fortune, yet it just isn't funny in the slightest
    The Big Bang Theory - See above
    Gavin & Stacey - Just didn't find it funny at all, plus it spawned the media **** that is James Corden so I despise it even more
    Little Britain - Again, utterly humourless.

This wave of new comedy just doesn't appeal to me at all. Give me the likes of Chalk, One Foot in the Grave, On The Buses, Men Behaving Badly, Game On, Coupling, OFAH, Never The Twain (only a select few) and others in the UK, and the likes of Perfect Strangers, WKRP in Cincinnati, Crazy Like A Fox, Frasier, 3rd Rock From The Sun and others from the US.
  • Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    feckit wrote: »
    Hallelujah! - Antics of an old woman and the Sally Army.

Sorry - Antics of a picked on son and his Mum

Fresh Fields - Antics of a husband and wife

Terry and June - Antics of a husband and wife

After You've Gone - Antics of a man and his mother-in-law

Life of Riley - Antics of a dysfunctional family.

Supernova - Antics of an inept astronomer

So What Now? - Antics of Lee Evans and his slobbish friend

You'll hate the Antics Roadshow.
  • lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member
    Duty Free
    Plus One was pretty weak
    How Not To Live Your Life
    In With The Flynns
    The Big Bang Theory- not the worst worst but incredibly irritating
    My Hero
    The Job Lot- completely laugh-free. Not even broad humour just...no humour.

Before we praise the seventies and eighties for having great comedy, some of it is dire.