I'm looking for a particular shape of Aspirin

seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi,

I'm on 75mg of coated Aspirin daily.

A little while ago I purchased some Aspirin that was capulet shape, not round.

Try as I might I can't remember where I purchased them from or the brand.

I have had to go back to the round type and they get stuck in my throat,----horrible.

Does any one know the brand name of these capulet type Aspirin?

Comments

• NoseyLouieNoseyLouie Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member
    Had a wee bit of googling, could it be Micropirin for the brand name? It seems to come in capsule form 75g coming up as a pdf file on google though, and independent pharmacy may have them, or offer an alternative..

I hate the feeling of something feeling like it has stuck in my throat myself if swallowing a normal round pill..yuck :D

Good luck x
  • seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi NoseyLouie,

And thank you, thank you.

I will give a couple of manufactures a call in the morning, and find a distributor.
    XX :)
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder where not being able to swallow pills comes from, as a child I had no trouble eating every conceivable piece of food I could lay my hands on, when I remember the penny sweet tray with it's assortment of shapes and textures I'm perplexed it took me a couple of decades before I got the hang of swallowing a pill.
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't be of much help but they're generally called caplets rather than capulet - not sure if that's messing up your search
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    platelet wrote: »
    Can't be of much help but they're generally called caplets rather than capulet - not sure if that's messing up your search
    Caplets. :blush::)
  • YosemiteYosemite Posts: 6,192
    Forum Member
    seacam wrote: »
    Caplets. :blush::)

No doubt Montague-coated.
  • boozer3boozer3 Posts: 2,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Supermarkets and pharmacies tend to sell both sorts with wither caplet or tablet stated on the packaging. :-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yosemite wrote: »
    No doubt Montague-coated.
    ( note to self seacam,---PRAT! :blush: ).
  • chocoholic100chocoholic100 Posts: 6,411
    Forum Member
    Why not just ask your local chemist. They will probably know.
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And so, good caplet which name I tender as dearly as my own, be satisfied :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    boozer3 wrote: »
    Supermarkets and pharmacies tend to sell both sorts with wither caplet or tablet stated on the packaging. :-)
    That was just it, the four pharmacies I general use never stocked them, all of them looked at their stock, all were the round type

I can only think I was out on a job somewhere and had the prescription with me and dropped it in elsewhere.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stvn758 wrote: »
    I wonder where not being able to swallow pills comes from, as a child I had no trouble eating every conceivable piece of food I could lay my hands on, when I remember the penny sweet tray with it's assortment of shapes and textures I'm perplexed it took me a couple of decades before I got the hang of swallowing a pill.
    I've never really had an issue swallowing pills, I'm on Metformin, ( T2 Diabetes ), they are the opposite end of the scale, they are the size of horse pills, occasionally I gag on those but they are huge.

But recently, a lot really, Aspirin have been getting lodged in my throat.
  • KennedyCKennedyC Posts: 1,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always take pills with a sip of water. Never had one stick in my throat. As for size, I tried a course of Glucosamine and they are big. Morrison's has caplet shaped ibuprofen, they may have the same for aspirin.
  • oscardelahoyaoscardelahoya Posts: 4,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actavis brand are apparently oval shaped.
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anadin is that shape.
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just visit the pharmacist and have a word as i'm sure they can tell you all the different brands and show you them and that'll probably trigger a memory and job done and if they're on prescription you can get the doc to name them on the prescription so you won't forget
  • nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aneechik wrote: »
    Anadin is that shape.

But unfortunately the dose is many times greater than required, about 300mg rather than 75mg.
  • FilliAFilliA Posts: 864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    platelet wrote: »
    And so, good caplet which name I tender as dearly as my own, be satisfied :D

I won't ever be able to think of Romeo and Juliet without giggling now. Probably at all the most inappropriate times.
  • Waj_100Waj_100 Posts: 3,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why aren't you using Dispersible Aspirin?

I've been taking 75mg Aspirin in dispersible form since 2004.
    Simply drop one in water and drink it when the aspirin has been dispersed.
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've never really had an issue swallowing pills, I'm on Metformin, ( T2 Diabetes ), they are the opposite end of the scale, they are the size of horse pills, occasionally I gag on those but they are huge.

But recently, a lot really, Aspirin have been getting lodged in my throat.

Don't try swallowing a dispersible aspirin then, one moment of hesitation and they foam up in your throat and much panic ensues. :D

They must be quicker to work than normal ones I thought, why not.
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Waj_100 wrote: »

This ^^

Also, you can snap large round tablets in halves or quarters and just take the bits one at a time.

Or crush between two spoons, add to a half inch of water, swill the glass and neck it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

stvn758 wrote: »
    Don't try swallowing a dispersible aspirin then, one moment of hesitation and they foam up in your throat and much panic ensues. :D

They must be quicker to work than normal ones I thought, why not.
    This ^^

Also, you can snap large round tablets in halves or quarters and just take the bits one at a time.

Or crush between two spoons, add to a half inch of water, swill the glass and neck it.
    I had problems tolerating dispersible Aspirin, ( tummy aches ), so was moved over to coated, no more aches.
  • Waj_100Waj_100 Posts: 3,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had problems tolerating dispersible Aspirin, ( tummy aches ), so was moved over to coated, no more aches.

Ah, right, I see!

I've always been intolerant to any form of Aspirin so my doctor prescribed Ranitidine to overcome the intolerance.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, right, I see!

I've always been intolerant to any form of Aspirin so my doctor prescribed Ranitidine to overcome the intolerance.
    Yep my doctor offered me the same thing in as much as if I couldn't tolerate coated Aspirin I would be put on Ranitidine as well.

But to date no real issue with coated,---the odd pang.

Have you tried coated by its self?
  • IqoniqIqoniq Posts: 6,299
    Forum Member
    This ^^

Or crush between two spoons, add to a half inch of water, swill the glass and neck it
    PIB : DO NOT DO THIS IF YOUR MEDICATION IS SLOW RELEASE.

If they're designed to be slow release (MST Continus for example) and you snap them you get the dose in one sudden hit, not slowly over the course of time they're designed to release.