Options

£99 4G Tablet and 100MB Free Data per month from EE

wavejockglwwavejockglw Posts: 10,596
Forum Member
✭✭
4G Alcatel OneTouch Pop 7s tablet is “cheapest in UK” at £99.99 on pre-paid. The Pop 7s comes with a seven inch screen, a quad core processor, front and rear facing cameras and a micro-SD card slot.

EE will give customers who purchase a new pre-paid smartphone or tablet 100Mb of data every month as part of a Christmas promotion.

The deal includes any pre-paid smartphones purchased on EE’s network before December 28. The extra data is also included on pre-paid tablets bought before January 31 next year.

To get the Christmas offer, customers must buy a new device plus a pre-paid sim including a one-off £5 top up, with no minimum spend required after.

http://www.mobilenewscwp.co.uk/2014/10/15/ee-launches-free-data-christmas-deal-and-new-4g-tablet/

Comments

• Options
    Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    100Mb (megabits) is around 12 MB (megabyes), so I assume they mean 100 megabytes.

I'm not quite sure what you're meant to do with 100MB usage a month, that's 3.22MB a day.
  • Options
    GigabitGigabit Posts: 8,768
    Forum Member
    Hopefully if EE gets sold this madness will end.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    100MB is not much but it's enough to allow a customer to try the tablet or phone on the network in the hope that additional data will be purchased.

Not an unusual business practice, subsidise the hardware, provide limited access and make money by selling extras. A 4G tablet for under £100 is a compelling proposition that has no competition yet although I expect Vodafone and O2 to offer something similar very shortly just as they have done with <£100 entry level 4G mobile phones.
  • Options
    david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    100MB is not much but it's enough to allow a customer to try the tablet or phone on the network in the hope that additional data will be purchased.

Not an unusual business practice, subsidise the hardware, provide limited access and make money by selling extras. A 4G tablet for under £100 is a compelling proposition that has no competition yet although I expect Vodafone and O2 to offer something similar very shortly just as they have done with <£100 entry level 4G mobile phones.

Of course you will have to fork out a lot of money to EE on a device and sim which is tied down to them just for the privilege of getting a tablet in addition for an extra £104.

it's not really great value for money. A tablet that you may not really need on top of a smartphone or tablet and sim that can be bought for much cheaper elsewhere than you would have to pay to EE in total for this offer. 2 of the same tablet model or the same smartphone or tablet as sold in EE can be bought much cheaper elsewhere as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can use the tablet with WiFi as well so for home use that might suit many. The 100MB might just be a sufficient for browsing when out and about for the occasional user but I suspect EE hope that most will add some data each month.

A tablet with not just mobile data but 4G for £104 is a bargain considering the other options available.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gigabit wrote: »
    Hopefully if EE gets sold this madness will end.

EE will cash in on people who think it's a great deal but in reality it will be costing them an arm and a leg.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can use the tablet with WiFi as well so for home use that might suit many. The 100MB might just be a sufficient for browsing when out and about for the occasional user but I suspect EE hope that most will add some data each month.

A tablet with not just mobile data but 4G for £104 is a bargain considering the other options available.

But you will have to pay a lot more than £104 to EE for the same model of tablet if you are just looking to buy a tablet.

It's a bit of a con to get people to sign up to a long expensive smartphone contract as they know many will be hooked by the £104 price tag of the tablet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the £104 is the Max commitment. You can buy the device and get the 100MB for the 1st month and each thereafter if you buy a top up. If you want to use just WiFi there is no obligation to buy data from EE.

With 4G on board it is unique at the price point and offers the option of mobile network use. I have to wonder just how great this is when most EE customers have tethering included and can attach their smart phones to feed the tablet when needed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    david16 wrote: »
    Of course you will have to fork out a lot of money to EE on a device and sim which is tied down to them just for the privilege of getting a tablet in addition for an extra £104.

Over £20 to unlock it if you wanted to use it on another network as well to get more than just 3MB a day for any reasonable cost.

* 3 speed tests a month and you've used your allowance.

* If your apps update in the background accidentally on 4G you've used your allowance.

* Watch 1 single 30 min TV programme on BBC iPlayer and you'be gone 6 times over your whole months allowance.

It makes 4G LTE so absolutely pointless that you may as well not bother at all as you can't use any of the high bandwidth benefits. You may as well just get a 3G deal or pick up a Hudl from Tesco for £70 and tether your phone's data plan over wifi.
  • Options
    BagovBagov Posts: 142
    Forum Member
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    Over £20 to unlock it if you wanted to use it on another network as well to get more than just 3MB a day for any reasonable cost.

* 3 speed tests a month and you've used your allowance.

* If your apps update in the background accidentally on 4G you've used your allowance.

* Watch 1 single 30 min TV programme on BBC iPlayer and you'be gone 6 times over your whole months allowance.

It makes 4G LTE so absolutely pointless that you may as well not bother at all as you can't use any of the high bandwidth benefits. You may as well just get a 3G deal or pick up a Hudl from Tesco for £70 and tether your phone's data plan over wifi.

Tablets on EE are usually unlocked anyway.
  • Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    100MB is pathetic. If you turn off all auto updates and data syncing, you might be okay to use it for Facebook and checking email, but not much else.

But at least there's a hard cap so there's no way to end up exceeding the limit and using up credit unknowingly.
  • Options
    BagovBagov Posts: 142
    Forum Member
    jonmorris wrote: »
    100MB is pathetic. If you turn off all auto updates and data syncing, you might be okay to use it for Facebook and checking email, but not much else.

But at least there's a hard cap so there's no way to end up exceeding the limit and using up credit unknowingly.

I think, in eagerness to have a moan about EE, the point being missed is that it's essentially a free extra for anyone maintaining a SIM for their device. Nobody,least of all EE,believes 100 MB will be enough to feed it for most people.

Also, it can be had on contract for £10 per month with 1Gb of data, which is what they charge for a data sim-only plan. Looked at that way, its the SIM plan with a free tablet thrown in.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bagov wrote: »
    I think, in eagerness to have a moan about EE, the point being missed is that it's essentially a free extra for anyone maintaining a SIM for their device. Nobody,least of all EE,believes 100 MB will be enough to feed it for most people.

Also, it can be had on contract for £10 per month with 1Gb of data, which is what they charge for a data sim-only plan. Looked at that way, its the SIM plan with a free tablet thrown in.

I agree 100% with the above. EE are opening up opportunities for customers to experience 4G with a tablet device at a much lower cost than has previously been available.

Of course they expect to make some revenue from the offer but they have left the door open for customers to buy the device and use it minimally on their network or enjoy it with Wi-Fi free after the initial purchase price.

This and deals like the £89 EE Kestrel phone are helping improve the uptake of 4G for customers that don't want to commit to £30-50 monthly contracts and that has to be welcomed.
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree 100% with the above. EE are opening up opportunities for customers to experience 4G with a tablet device at a much lower cost than has previously been available.

The point being that you can "experience 4G" for about 20 seconds before having to fork over more cash to keep it working, unless you just leave it on WiFi as most will be doing in the absence of reasonable pricing. If anything, this will deter customers - why use 4G when it appears to turn off all of the time and demand more money? Not a good look for EE. Especially when competitors are offering unlimited data.

So that makes it a bit pointless. If it was 1GB or something that'd be much more compelling, and arguably it certainly won't cost EE very much to offer that. 100MB is an insult.
    Of course they expect to make some revenue from the offer but they have left the door open for customers to buy the device and use it minimally on their network or enjoy it with Wi-Fi free after the initial purchase price.

There are plenty of cheap tablets - the Tesco Hudl 2 for 129GBP is not much more, and is quite a tablet for the money - with better specs than the Alcatel in many areas
    This and deals like the £89 EE Kestrel phone are helping improve the uptake of 4G for customers that don't want to commit to £30-50 monthly contracts and that has to be welcomed.

Useless data limits will hinder the uptake - it's promoted as being fast and capable of anything, but only if you pay up. Offers like free 4G on 3 will do far more for promoting LTE.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    moox wrote: »
    Offers like free 4G on 3 will do far more for promoting LTE.

Not as long as they have the smallest coverage of any network for 4G and the highest usage for data making congestion an issue in many areas. I can't see any offer of a PAYG tablet from 3. They only offer contract deals with 12 month commitment. No chance of a 4G tablet for £104 from 3! Best deal on offer is a Chinese Tablet for £99.97 and a separate Wi-Fi Device for £7.50 a month with 1G of Data. EE's offer looks more appealing for the same cost with the Alcatel as a 12 month deal. £120 Tablet and 1GB per month 4G from EE or £189.97 with 2 separate devices with the same data allowance (3G) form 3? You pays your money and makes your choice!

EE offer a low cost entry price for both 4G mobile phones and now tablets and that is what is significant.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EE offer a low cost entry price for both 4G mobile phones and now tablets and that is what is significant.

At 3MB a day usage it may be low cost, but it's useless unless you spend extra money buying a bigger data plan, which is what they're hoping. 4G LTE is useless with 100MB of data, you could use the whole months allowance in 60 seconds.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2GB 4G Data for £10 a month with the tablet free.......

Sounds like a deal! Especially when the tablet is 4G LTE compatible (no Wi-Fi device or dongle required).

http://shop.ee.co.uk/tablets/pay-monthly-tablets/alcatel-one-touch-pop-7s/details
  • Options
    Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not as long as they have the smallest coverage of any network for 4G and the highest usage for data making congestion an issue in many areas. I can't see any offer of a PAYG tablet from 3. They only offer contract deals with 12 month commitment. No chance of a 4G tablet for £104 from 3! Best deal on offer is a Chinese Tablet for £99.97 and a separate Wi-Fi Device for £7.50 a month with 1G of Data. EE's offer looks more appealing for the same cost with the Alcatel as a 12 month deal. £120 Tablet and 1GB per month 4G from EE or £189.97 with 2 separate devices with the same data allowance (3G) form 3? You pays your money and makes your choice!

I suggest O2 have severe congestion problems in Aberdeen and Three are miles ahead.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=75254791&postcount=9517

The Hudl 2 is a much better value proposition.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Irrelevant nonsense snipped.....

Hudl has no 4G, or 3G for that matter, just Wi-Fi so not in the same market really. Lots of Chinese tablets at <£100 offer Wi-Fi only with good specs, it's the 4G facility that sets the Alcatel aside as that provides options that hudl and others don't.

The 4G facility is what makes the EE Alcatel tablet relevant to this section of the forum. There are other sections to discuss devices like tablets that have no mobile network connectivity.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Irrelevant nonsense snipped.....

Hudl has no 4G, or 3G for that matter, just Wi-Fi so not in the same market really. Lots of Chinese tablets at <£100 offer Wi-Fi only with good specs, it's the 4G facility that sets the Alcatel aside as that provides options that hudl and others don't.

The 4G facility is what makes the EE Alcatel tablet relevant to this section of the forum. There are other sections to discuss devices like tablets that have no mobile network connectivity.

Your the one who started moaning about congestion. So you just cant ignore it when it don't suit your agenda >:(
  • Options
    jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    I heard in their next promotion, EE will be offering it's customers 700 free hours of AOL.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suggest O2 have severe congestion problems in Aberdeen and Three are miles ahead.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=75254791&postcount=9517

4G Tablet at EE offer = £104, but you need to purchase a smartphone or tablet plus sim card at EE to get the tablet at £104

Hudl 2 at Tesco = £129. No need to purchase a smartphone or another tablet, and no need to purchase a sim card to operate the Hudl 2 if you have wifi.

4G Tablet at EE (non offer for the same tablet) = Much higher than £129, plus you need to purchase a sim card at EE.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the 7" Hudl is actually £80, as the EE tablet is 7" just use your existing wifi hotspot on your phone if you have an inclusive allowance like you would on Three, and not 100MB, but 2 - 5GB, so 20 or 50 times more data to actually enjoy and use your tablet through the month.

That has to be better than 2 minutes and it's all over until next month... maybe that's all Wavejock has :p
  • Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One Plan SIM in my Xperia Z3. £15 per month. Unlimited data and tethering.

Hudl 2 £129. Select Mobile hotspot; Hudl 2 now has up to 1000GB of data per month (well, actually more but let's stay within the recommended amount for the sake of argument).

Bit better than 100MB. Only downside is that I need to have my phone nearby, and that I am less likely to get 4G on Three than EE.

If EE had included 250-500MB of data per month, I'd have looked upon it far more favourably. In any case, do we know how good this tablet is? There are some really crappy tablets out there (1GB RAM, poor displays, low resolutions etc) and the Hudl2 is actually pretty bloody amazing for the money.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    I think the 7" Hudl is actually £80, as the EE tablet is 7" just use your existing wifi hotspot on your phone if you have an inclusive allowance like you would on Three, and not 100MB, but 2 - 5GB, so 20 or 50 times more data to actually enjoy and use your tablet.

That has to be better than 2 minutes and it's all over until next month... maybe that's all Wavejock has :p

Agreed Tethering to your own phone is a much better idea and a lot less restrictive.