The One Direction Appreciation Thread (9)

Comments

• andi84andi84 Posts: 2,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steal My Girl is at number 3! :)

Good! Same as GBY and LWWY, higher than SOML's initial place (#4).
  • Andy_Smith1Andy_Smith1 Posts: 4,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lowest selling 1st single off of a new album, hopefully they can rush out a strong second single and they don't do all promo they have for FOUR with SMG as the lead song, its far too weak and unmemorable, get the video out and move on because we know singles for 1D are useless after the album comes out,
    Really hope they can get a No 1 this year, they had a nice little thing going of having at least one UK No 1 a year, hopefully its not broken due to SMG
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lowest selling 1st single off of a new album, hopefully they can rush out a strong second single and they don't do all promo they have for FOUR with SMG as the lead song, its far too weak and unmemorable, get the video out and move on because we know singles for 1D are useless after the album comes out,
    Really hope they can get a No 1 this year, they had a nice little thing going of having at least one UK No 1 a year, hopefully its not broken due to SMG

Yeah, but remember, NO PROMO! LWWY had at least a video, BSE had a brilliant video and the film and obviously WMYB was their debut :)
    Plus, it's not a brilliant song, so I get it why people outside the fanbase didn't buy it in large numbers :) Let's see what effect the video is going to have on friday :) Looking forward to it!
  • Andy_Smith1Andy_Smith1 Posts: 4,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    andi84 wrote: »
    Yeah, but remember, NO PROMO! LWWY had at least a video, BSE had a brilliant video and the film and obviously WMYB was their debut :)
    Fair point, but does anyone know if they are sticking with SMG or is their a second single on the way before the album comes out, anyone have an opinion on whatever its something they should do ? I hope their is personally
  • MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Guys, get a bit of perspective. They have a top 3 single. They have just come off a huge tour and their album is likely to be one of the biggest selling ones this year. Everyone is talking like things are over for them. Are they over in America because Steal My Girl lasted one week in the Billboard top 20? We're focusing too much on first week single sales when it's the album we should be thinking about.
  • DumdedumdumDumdedumdum Posts: 1,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fair point, but does anyone know if they are sticking with SMG or is their a second single on the way before the album comes out, anyone have an opinion on whatever its something they should do ? I hope their is personally

As they haven't performed SMG anywhere and the video is out quite late I'm expecting them to promote the album using that song. Which would be a shame in my opinion, I also don't think it's strong enough and they said (I think) that Fireproof represents the album better. Not that Fireproof should have been lead single but if all people hear is SMG then they could get wrong impression. I really thought they would have 2 singles on sale / UK radio pre-album but the boys are much less active this year.

Their US promo is happening on album release day so they could perform 2nd single then. They would probably do this song at XF Final in December and the other appearances like the Swedish XF thing. I wish they did more than XF in the UK, a visit to Jonathan Ross or Graham Norton would be great.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As they haven't performed SMG anywhere and the video is out quite late I'm expecting them to promote the album using that song. Which would be a shame in my opinion, I also don't think it's strong enough and they said (I think) that Fireproof represents the album better. Not that Fireproof should have been lead single but if all people hear is SMG then they could get wrong impression. I really thought they would have 2 singles on sale / UK radio pre-album but the boys are much less active this year.

Their US promo is happening on album release day so they could perform 2nd single then. They would probably do this song at XF Final in December and the other appearances like the Swedish XF thing. I wish they did more than XF in the UK, a visit to Jonathan Ross or Graham Norton would be great.

Regarding second single: I've checked the release date of the singles in the TMH era. LWWY was released on 28 September worldwide (together with the video), on 30 September in the UK and on 1 October in the US.
    On 15 October, Louis already confirmed on twitter that Little Things would be single #2 and on 18 November it entered the charts at #1. The plan had been to release it only on 3 December, but because the album was released on 12 November, people bought the song individually before the planned release date, thus making it #1.

--> 6 weeks after LWWY charted at #3, Little Things hit #1.
    --> If they released another single at the time of the album release, it would be 5 weeks after SMG in the UK, but 7 weeks after SMG all around the world.
    --> I don't know how the 5 announced "instant grats" (songs you get automatically if you have pre-ordered the album) will impact the charts. In the UK, only one instant grat is allowed to chart, so they better choose wisely, making the second single the first instant grat in order to guarantee the second single a good charting position.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Shake It Off" by Taylor Swift sold more than 56k last week, SMG must be quite close behind, even though we don't have exact numbers. Probably 53-55k.
    Without streaming, they would have been #2, as they've sold more copies than Taylor, her song was just massive on streaming.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's interesting about Little Things, so the fans buying it off iTunes week of album release made it #1? When did it go on the radio?

Perhaps they'll have a video ready to go for the 2nd single, released either in advance or with the album on 17th November. They're all in the UK so they could film one. If they put single 2 out as the first instant grat a week or two before album release they could have it on the radio before they do their Universal Studios thing (and beat any album leak). They could even perform it at their XF UK appearance (which will have to be pre-recorded like last year). I hope it's really catchy and Capital play it.

The Midnight Memories single had a bad strategy of being an instant grat and then a while later put on sale - fans who didn't pre-order had already bought it once then got it with the album. And then the TV performances were all before Christmas and the boys did no promo at release time. I don't think many acts will get #1 with post album singles the way individual track purchasing happens.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's interesting about Little Things, so the fans buying it off iTunes week of album release made it #1? When did it go on the radio?

Perhaps they'll have a video ready to go for the 2nd single, released either in advance or with the album on 17th November. They're all in the UK so they could film one. If they put single 2 out as the first instant grat a week or two before album release they could have it on the radio before they do their Universal Studios thing (and beat any album leak). They could even perform it at their XF UK appearance (which will have to be pre-recorded like last year). I hope it's really catchy and Capital play it.

The Midnight Memories single had a bad strategy of being an instant grat and then a while later put on sale - fans who didn't pre-order had already bought it once then got it with the album. And then the TV performances were all before Christmas and the boys did no promo at release time. I don't think many acts will get #1 with post album singles the way individual track purchasing happens.

Especially when the album itself was huge - as MM has been. But we shouldn't care too much about post-album singles... They're not really there to get to #1 or even top 3, it's just to show the general public (those who haven't bought the album yet) another track of the album, so some more people might buy it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Teaser Clip #2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhePuIRJojc

This video looks camper and camper by the day :D
  • BluestoneBluestone Posts: 2,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Teaser Clip #2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhePuIRJojc

This video looks camper and camper by the day :D

I love that there is someone randomly hola hooping in the background on the hill while Zayn is trying to bump off two Sumos.

You couldn't write this.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bluestone wrote: »
    I love that there is someone randomly hola hooping in the background on the hill while Zayn is trying to bump off two Sumos.

You couldn't write this.

Exactly! At first I thought that was Harry, but he surely isn't that good a hula hooper, is he?! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Especially when the album itself was huge - as MM has been. But we shouldn't care too much about post-album singles... They're not really there to get to #1 or even top 3, it's just to show the general public (those who haven't bought the album yet) another track of the album, so some more people might buy it.

This album is going to be a huge seller, should set lots of records :)

I'm not overly fussed about post-album single placing if they go Top 20 (Y&I and MM did not). I do think radioplay is very important to their longevity though. The boys are - or should be - making more mature music that crosses over from their core fanbase, they can get high on pop and AC play charts if they put out the right songs and promote them. Fingers crossed that single 2 is another SOML-type smasher.
  • twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bluestone wrote: »

You couldn't write this.

But Zayn looks particularily scrummy (to use Albrightyz or MTUK words!!) in this
  • abrightyzabrightyz Posts: 24,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    twingle wrote: »
    But Zayn looks particularily scrummy (to use Albrightyz or MTUK words!!) in this

ha ha.. i didn't even notice anything else let alone anybody hoola hooping in the background :blush: :kitty:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh my. He looks so fine. :blush: I just wanted to lick the screen throughout that snippet. What a first class beautiful hottie. :blush::blush::blush::blush::blush::blush:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 90
    Forum Member

It had already gone to radio and had it's video out. The "official" release date of the single was some weeks after the album was out but they went ahead and did promo for it the week of the album release anyway since it was eligible to chart then and it had the effect of landing them the double of both a #1 album and single.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The boys (collectively )top the under 30 UK rich list for this year

That's 77 mil and 15mil each,,,,,,,,,,,,,Nice! :D

http://metro.co.uk/2014/10/21/harry-potter-and-the-64million-fortune-daniel-radcliffe-comes-out-smelling-of-roses-on-rich-list-4914141/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The boys (collectively )top the under 30 UK rich list for this year

That's 77 mil and 15mil each,,,,,,,,,,,,,Nice! :D

http://metro.co.uk/2014/10/21/harry-potter-and-the-64million-fortune-daniel-radcliffe-comes-out-smelling-of-roses-on-rich-list-4914141/

Compare that list to the one from May 2014:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/music-news/10833480/Adele-tops-music-rich-list-for-under-30s.html

--> One Direction up only 7 million from 70 to 77 million?
    --> Adele down 9 million in half a year?!

In my opinion it shows that either one (or both) of these lists is unreliable, as these numbers don't add up!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These rich lists are always made up. There was something last year about the boys being worth £20m each, really pulling figures out of thin air. It's a pain for celebs because the tax people believe the lists and try to find hidden money.

This year will have made 1D very rich though. Their fragrances and merchandise bring in millions per boy, then there's the touring revenue. I'd imagine they're on a lot less equitable contracts than big touring acts like U2 (who I read get 70% profits) but even if they take home 10% profit between them there was nearly $300m gross in the pot. Aside from the huge screens it wasn't an expensive show to put on. Add in money from sponsorship like Toyota and Nabisco, the music and 5SOS... Niall can definitely afford to keep me in the manner to which I plan to become accustomed haha.
  • abrightyzabrightyz Posts: 24,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    abrightyz wrote: »

That green screen behind Harry made me doubt whether they'd really been to the desert or they'd filmed it in a studio entirely :D But I guess there were some pictures from that time, weren't there?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That green screen behind Harry made me doubt whether they'd really been to the desert or they'd filmed it in a studio entirely :D But I guess there were some pictures from that time, weren't there?

Part of the green screen is there in a desert shot so think it is there to filter out the sun
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These rich lists are always made up. There was something last year about the boys being worth £20m each, really pulling figures out of thin air. It's a pain for celebs because the tax people believe the lists and try to find hidden money.

This year will have made 1D very rich though. Their fragrances and merchandise bring in millions per boy, then there's the touring revenue. I'd imagine they're on a lot less equitable contracts than big touring acts like U2 (who I read get 70% profits) but even if they take home 10% profit between them there was nearly $300m gross in the pot. Aside from the huge screens it wasn't an expensive show to put on. Add in money from sponsorship like Toyota and Nabisco, the music and 5SOS... Niall can definitely afford to keep me in the manner to which I plan to become accustomed haha.

Do you have any sources for these points?

There is no way whatsoever the Inland Revenue would go looking for money based on spurious guesses of newspapers and other online outlets of a persons wealth. They would look at the accounts submitted each year by their accountants and if they had queries they would audit the said person.

As to your second point. It is true that the show may not have been as expensive as some, there is no way you can say for sure that it wasn't an expensive show to put on. You'd have to access the accounts for a start. I bet the show wasn't cheap with all the transportation costs and fireworks etc. You can't really make a blanket statement based on visuals.