Options

Action against the BNP - race discrimination

MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
Forum Member
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8218397.stm

Wonder what took them so long. It'll be fun watching them squirm on this one.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps I have not quoted a valid link, or I may even have mis-read it but this link does say that discrimination in party politisc is ok, but that the party may be 'challenged' on this.

As I said the link may be a pile of rubbish.

http://83.137.212.42/sitearchive/cre/downloads/dlr_paper5.pdf

Page 7 refers
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 487
    Forum Member
    And while they are at it, they can get rid of 'positive discrimination'.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Kuldiin wrote: »
    And while they are at it, they can get rid of 'positive discrimination'.

I'll go along with that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a theoretical question really, if the EHRC win this case and the BNP are forced to allow membership from the ethnic minorities, and you were from an ethnic minority, would you apply for membership? with the BNP's proven track record on discrimination.
  • Options
    HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    john5197 wrote: »
    Just a theoretical question really, if the EHRC win this case and the BNP are forced to allow membership from the ethnic minorities, and you were from an ethnic minority, would you apply for membership? with the BNP's proven track record on discrimination.

This was the first thing I thought! I wonder how many ethnic minorities will be queuing up to join the BNP? :D
  • Options
    Bill AdacioBill Adacio Posts: 1,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Helbore wrote: »
    This was the first thing I thought! I wonder how many ethnic minorities will be queuing up to join the BNP? :D

Anyone of an ethnic minority should all apply to join - just as a matter of principle.

And then the BNP would probably be the party with highest membership of ethnic minorities in the UK.

That would be something for Nick and his acolytes to think about.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone of an ethnic minority should all apply to join - just as a matter of principle.

And then the BNP would probably be the party with highest membership of ethnic minorities in the UK.

That would be something for Nick and his acolytes to think about.

I don't think I would like to be the the first person from an ethnic minority to arrive at a party political meeting....
  • Options
    richcleverrichclever Posts: 12,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The best thing that could is happen is for thousand upon thousand of people who are opposed to racism to join. We either get to overturn the racist policies they have or if they refuse to admit people because of their colour we can get them hauled over the coals in court.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    john5197 wrote: »
    I don't think I would like to be the the first person from an ethnic minority to arrive at a party political meeting....

I'm obviously not up on how to join the BNP, but if it's anything like the Tories or Labour no need to actually be there, just simply fill in the form, flood central office with them.

For such a small concern, drown them in paperwork, hamstring them with bureaucracy, just simply rip the piss out of them.

And if enough ethnic members could then get together, safety in numbers, then why not all turn up at a meeting.

It would make a great photo opportunity.
  • Options
    etldlrletldlrl Posts: 6,162
    Forum Member
    I'm sorry to say that I think there is a lot less mileage in this one than people hope.

A political party can choose who it allows to join. It can expel members who do not agree with its policies and abide by its rules. The BNP can claim that its ideology of white supremacy ideology is one that no non-white person can hold and hence bar them from entry, not for being non-white but for not being white supremacists. The upside is that the BNP has to admit to being what it is in order to make that argument. There may be some fun to be had along these lines but don't expect victory in the court case.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    etldlrl wrote: »
    I'm sorry to say that I think there is a lot less mileage in this one than people hope.

A political party can choose who it allows to join. It can expel members who do not agree with its policies and abide by its rules. The BNP can claim that its ideology of white supremacy ideology is one that no non-white person can hold and hence bar them from entry, not for being non-white but for not being white supremacists. The upside is that the BNP has to admit to being what it is in order to make that argument. There may be some fun to be had along these lines but don't expect victory in the court case.

That's pretty much what I think. They have to admit their aims or be had for discrimination.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i agree with ertdrl...its up to a political party who is suitable for being a member .and if the bnp dont want foreigners or non whites then they should acept this .after all you cant just walk in to somebody elses country and tell them how to live ..also if the police can ban a bnp member from their force than why cant the bnp ban who they like from their membership ...
  • Options
    The SnakesThe Snakes Posts: 8,940
    Forum Member
    I wish they'd just allow non-whites to join to be honest. Being seen as 'racist' can only hurt them at present. There are many non-white people who came to this country to become British, and are as disgusted by multiculturalism as many white people are.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I welcome the day when they get broken up as a party. I doubt this will happen though, but more than likely they'll just get done for it.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i agree with ertdrl...its up to a political party who is suitable for being a member .and if the bnp dont want foreigners or non whites then they should acept this .after all you cant just walk in to somebody elses country and tell them how to live ..also if the police can ban a bnp member from their force than why cant the bnp ban who they like from their membership ...

What you're forgetting, is that white supremacy is illegal in this country. I think you only agree with that member because you support the BNP, am I right?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But what if some of the non white potential members had been here longer that say a third generation, white Irish immigrant?

Wouldn't that then give the non white candidate more right to be a member than the 3rd generation Irish?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    But what if some of the non white potential members had been here longer that say a third generation, white Irish immigrant?

Wouldn't that then give the non white candidate more right to be a member than the 3rd generation Irish?

Logic is not their strong point, and in any case, it's the colour of the skin and the dark curly hair they don't like. They are inferior humans, didn't you know?