Options

cat ill ?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,005
Forum Member
✭✭✭
my cat has been sick twice in the last six days , until these episodes he has never been sick in the time i have had him, just short of 2 years, he was a RSPCA rescue cat and is about 3.5 years old

there is no fur in the sick, it just looks like the previous meal has come back up with some dry food mixed in, i've not changed any of his foods recently, he has dry throughout the day and one Felix pouch in the evening, drinks water only

he seems ok in himself, but i know it is sometimes hard to spot when a cat is not too well

is it worth popping him down to the vets or just see how he is over the next week or two ?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you wormed him lately sounds awful but cats can sick up worms i have seen it. It still could be a furball as well my neighbours cat does the same and he always has them but they dont show all the time. I wouldnt be too worried but i might be good to get him a MOT at the vets.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Twice in 6 days isn't too much to worry about I wouldn't think, cats love a good puke.

As above, check that he's been wormed, but otherwise, just keep an eye on him...
  • Options
    susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of ours goes scavenging round the neighbours, and every time they give him some sort of meat (looks like ham), he chucks it up, so this can happen about 3 times a week if I'm unlucky! Cats are supposed to know what to eat, in fact they haven't a clue, and they'll eat anything they fancy, however unsuitable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of my cats which was a stray loves ripping carrier bags to bits. We feed her what she needs but she still does it even her 9wk old kittens do the same. My first girl cat who we lost in 2008 could eat a packet of food within 30 seconds throw it up. I have 7 adult cats and 4 kittens and if they eat too much they will throw up
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    no more throwing up but, he just looked at his tea tonight and just walked off :eek: he has never done that, and it was his favourite, salmon,

he had a little bit later on, but usually he just hoovers the lot up :(
  • Options
    LippincoteLippincote Posts: 7,132
    Forum Member
    Could be anything really. One possibility is furballs - the only way you will find out for sure is to go to the vet.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 345
    Forum Member
    Is someone else feeding him that you don`t know about?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He might have gone off his normal brand off food they do that. Try him on a little at a time not very much. He might be feeling offish as well. One of my cats at the moment is got a fir ball and he is trying to bring it up, you can get stuff from the vets for it. What sort of food is he on at the moment ?
  • Options
    Rob22Rob22 Posts: 11,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's when a cat is loosing weight, you want to worry.

when a cat reaches around 17-18, and they are loosing weight rapidly, and being sick, with traces of blood in it, it's usually cat aids.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    moomsie wrote: »
    Is someone else feeding him that you don`t know about?

i wouldnt think so, he is in asleep all day, so should be hungry
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maisey Moo wrote: »
    What sort of food is he on at the moment ?

Felix pouches and Whiskers dry
  • Options
    StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rich243 wrote: »
    Felix pouches and Whiskers dry

Ouch. I'd throw up if I was fed McDonalds every day.

Is Kitty wormed?

Is Kitty groomed regularly (reduces hairballs)

If Yes/Yes - can you try changing to a better dry food? I think Felix Pouches are a nice treat and the rescue I got Lay from recommended them as a treat/fattener.

For a cat, I would recommend Applaws - dry and wet. Cats are obligate carnivours and are not designed to eat rice/maize/grain filler. Applaws contains very little rice and ranges between 80% and 96+% meat depending on dry/wet variety.

I would recommend a raw food diet - but (as I have often posted) it has taken months to get my cats onto a completely raw diet. Fussy little madams!!

Also, feed smaller, more frequesnt meals. Layla will pig out given the chance, and will vomit any excess:rolleyes:

If this does continue after worming/grooming/good food/small meals then it might be worth visiting the vet. At 3.5 years the likelyhood of an illness that causes vomiting is remote, but worth ruling out.
  • Options
    LippincoteLippincote Posts: 7,132
    Forum Member
    It may be diet related, or it may not. I would keep an eye on him over the next week and based on that decide whether or not a vet visit is necessary. If it's a furball he will probably need a katalax type product to help it on its way. (Katalax = expensive, from vet; Defurrum = cheaper, from pet shops.)

Rather than changing the diet completely, it might be easier to try changing the dry food (cats like a change anyway). My cats have eaten Felix pouches since time immemorial and are fine with them, but I wouldn't use a supermarket dry food. Try a 'quality' dry food like Hills or Royal Canin - or Applaws as SM says - available from petshops.