Keeping Up Appearances

Comments

• will2510will2510 Posts: 1,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was funny seeing the very first episode, Rose was played by Shirley Stelfox (Edna from Emmerdale):D:D
  • essexpeteessexpete Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    The second Rose(Mary Millar) died of cancer in '98. Feel the same way for Richard as I do for Margaret in One Foot In The Grave...
  • DimsieDimsie Posts: 2,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    will2510 wrote: »
    It was funny seeing the very first episode, Rose was played by Shirley Stelfox (Edna from Emmerdale):D:D
    When I was first told that the woman who played Edna in Emmerdale had also played the original Rose in KUA I couldn't believe it. Talk about a character change and just goes to show what a good actress can do.

I love KUA - Hyacinth is meant to be a bit of a monster, I know, but she's not deliberately unkind, just so hell-bent on social climbing she doesn't realise how many toes she's treading on. And yes, the same jokes turn up in every episode, but there's a certain comfort in familiarity. :)
  • SubrosaSubrosa Posts: 3,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    winenroses wrote: »
    Thanks.

Here's a link about the stage production currently touring:

http://www.uktheatre.net/magazine/read/keeping-up-appearances_600.html

It's on at Colchester Mercury Theatre in a couple of weeks or so and others in the meantime and after that, I believe.

I've found the dates:

http://keepingupappearances.forumotion.com/Keeping-Up-Appearances-Stage-Tour-h25.htm

I'm going to see it on Tuesday :D
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    essexpete wrote: »
    The second Rose(Mary Millar) died of cancer in '98. Feel the same way for Richard as I do for Margaret in One Foot In The Grave...

I sometimes feel sorry for him when watching the show, I often wonder how he manages to cope with her. If it was real life he probably would have left her by now but he does seem to try hard.
  • wur86wur86 Posts: 10,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I married her sister.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was usual that most episodes would show a 'phone call from their son!!
    'OH SHERIDAN'---etc! He was obviously 'gay' but she couldn't see it--
    But her husband could--it was wonderfully scripted & was a joy to watch.
    The one I felt sorry for was the Postman-he would crawl right up the drive--
    Just to avoid seeing the Lady of the house-Hyacinth!! ;)
    I enjoyed it--didn't watch too many of the repeats--
    But I am watching them now--after such a long break--it's really-really-funny!
    It was brilliant-subtle-entertainingly----Comedy at it's Best!
  • winenroseswinenroses Posts: 6,470
    Forum Member
    Subrosa wrote: »
    I'm going to see it on Tuesday :D

We're going to the Thursday matinee, which is a very Hyacinth word by the way, almost up there with soirees and candlelight suppers.

Completely off topic, does anyone know how to do the accent sign over French words?
  • miles19740miles19740 Posts: 14,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just rewatching series one on dvd atm can't believe it premiered this time 20 years ago:eek: Most of my favourite 90s comedies started in '90, KUA, Nightingales, Waiting For God, One Foot In The Grave...

The irony is, I was re-watching series one last night. What a great series.:) A lot of my favourites came from the 90s. Somehow, the sitcoms of the 00s onwards (with the exception of Two Pints) are just nowhere near as good as those from earlier decades.

It is also worth noting that the actors who played Councillor Mrs Newgent, Daddy and Mary Millar (the second Rose) are no longer with us. I also know that Geoffrey Hughes, Onslow, is being treated for cancer! :cry:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Love this show, have the DVDs of series 1-4. It's good :D I don't have a favourite episode, I like all of them. I love the way Onslow bangs the telly to switch on. That makes me laugh every time :D

I love all the scenes involving Elizabeth, Hyacinth and coffee time. Has me in hysterics every time, especially when her royal doulton comes out, with the hand painted perry winkles! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    I know someone who worked on the show and he said Patricia Routledge was a delight to work with

Patricia is now 81 apparently! Great actress though.

It is worth remembering that when she started KUA, she was 60. In episode 2 or 3 of the first series, she climbs over a high wall to get to Daisy's because she tries to convince Liz that Daisy lives in a posh house by parking outside one...funny as...and amazing that at 60, Patricia was able to do such a stunt.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dimsie wrote: »
    When I was first told that the woman who played Edna in Emmerdale had also played the original Rose in KUA I couldn't believe it. Talk about a character change and just goes to show what a good actress can do.

I love KUA - Hyacinth is meant to be a bit of a monster, I know, but she's not deliberately unkind, just so hell-bent on social climbing she doesn't realise how many toes she's treading on. And yes, the same jokes turn up in every episode, but there's a certain comfort in familiarity. :)

The irony with it is that a lot of people are like Hyacinth, but not as extreme. My mother is a carbon copy, and I frequently refer to Hyacinth in reference to my mother. It is now a running joke!:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Panorama wrote: »
    It was usual that most episodes would show a 'phone call from their son!!
    'OH SHERIDAN'---etc! He was obviously 'gay' but she couldn't see it--
    But her husband could--it was wonderfully scripted & was a joy to watch.
    The one I felt sorry for was the Postman-he would crawl right up the drive--
    Just to avoid seeing the Lady of the house-Hyacinth!! ;)
    I enjoyed it--didn't watch too many of the repeats--
    But I am watching them now--after such a long break--it's really-really-funny!
    It was brilliant-subtle-entertainingly----Comedy at it's Best!

I think Hyacinth did realise her son was gay, but would never admit it to anyone, especially Councillor Newgent or the Vicar!
    Forum Member
    miles19740 wrote: »
    I think Hyacinth did realise her son was gay, but would never admit it to anyone, especially Councillor Newgent or the Vicar!

Do you think so? I'm not sure. However, there was at least one episode where Hyacinth became quite hostile towards her darling Sheridan and told 'Richaard' in no uncertain terms not to send him any more money. Can anyone remember more of that episode?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you think so? I'm not sure. However, there was at least one episode where Hyacinth became quite hostile towards her darling Sheridan and told 'Richaard' in no uncertain terms not to send him any more money. Can anyone remember more of that episode?

There was certainly reference to Hyacinth saying to Richard not to give him any more money in either ep.1,2 or 3 of series 1.

What a super series though. It reflected so many peoples' snobby ways seen in everyday life.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We're going to the Thursday matinee, which is a very Hyacinth word by the way, almost up there with soirees and candlelight suppers.

Completely off topic, does anyone know how to do the accent sign over French words?

I had to explain to my boyfriend what a matinee was :eek:

You can press alt gr + the vowel you want for éíáóú, not sure how you get any others!
    Forum Member
    I had to explain to my boyfriend what a matinee was :eek:

You can press alt gr + the vowel you want for éíáóú, not sure how you get any others!

It took me a while to find Alt Gr :D but enfin, trés bien, merci!

(Except that tres bien has the accent the opposite way around)

Would Onslow know what a matinée is, I wonder?
    Forum Member
    The irony with it is that a lot of people are like Hyacinth, but not as extreme. My mother is a carbon copy, and I frequently refer to Hyacinth in reference to my mother. It is now a running joke!:D

I have a feeling Clarke based Hyacinth on Edie from Last of The Summer Wine but 10 itimes worse:) Makes it twice as funny that as well as having a gay son,her brother-in-law Bruce is a cross dresser:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It took me a while to find Alt Gr :D but enfin, trés bien, merci!

(Except that tres bien has the accent the opposite way around)

Would Onslow know what a matinée is, I wonder?

C'est bien!

I think he would, he just wouldn't want to go to one. Apparently Onslow is actually very intelligent (cf. his reading material), he just can't be bothered!
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I love all the scenes involving Elizabeth, Hyacinth and coffee time. Has me in hysterics every time, especially when her royal doulton comes out, with the hand painted perry winkles! :D

They're good too. Love the way she always has to give Elizabeth a beaker while she drinks out of the royal doulton!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They're good too. Love the way she always has to give Elizabeth a beaker while she drinks out of the royal doulton!

Only because Hyacinth (the joke being that Hyacinth can't see it) makes Elizabeth so nervous that she doesn't want to risk dropping her royal doulton, although she does frequently when not using a beaker. Poor Elizabeth. The coffee scenes are my favourite.
    Forum Member
    C'est bien!

I think he would, he just wouldn't want to go to one. Apparently Onslow is actually very intelligent (cf. his reading material), he just can't be bothered!

Yes, he's a bundle of contradictions, an enigma wrapped up in a mystery/string vest. Or as Daisy has it, just bone idle.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just rewatching series one on dvd atm can't believe it premiered this time 20 years ago:eek: Most of my favourite 90s comedies started in '90, KUA, Nightingales, Waiting For God, One Foot In The Grave...

Anybody there??

There ain't nobody here but us chickens!!!!
  • PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a feeling Clarke based Hyacinth on Edie from Last of The Summer Wine but 10 itimes worse:) Makes it twice as funny that as well as having a gay son,her brother-in-law Bruce is a cross dresser:)
    There is a scene in a late 1980s edition of Last of the Summer Wine where Edie picks up the phone and says "The Pegden Residence. The lady of the house speaking."
    Forum Member
    There is a scene in a late 1980s edition of Last of the Summer Wine where Edie picks up the phone and says "The Pegden Residence. The lady of the house speaking."
    ah will have to look out for that when I rewatch my LOTSW DVDs again, shows there is some truth in my theory then