Options

Is Beyonce Currently Bigger Than Mariah Used To Be (In the US)

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 171
Forum Member
I was thinking about this, and I can't decide on a definite answer. I absolutely think Mariah had more respect in the industry than Beyonce has right now (or will have). Mariah also achieved much more in a shorter space of time - I'd say that she had already reached the current status of Beyonce in the space of 4 albums over 5 years compared to Beyonce who is on her 4th album in 10 years.

Then on the other hand, Beyonce appears to be more of a household name/"social symbol" than Mariah ever was. Purely on terms of chart success, Mariah obviously is miles ahead. I would say that where they are equal is when we compare Beyonce's reputation as a performer and Mariah's reputation as a brilliant singer, BOTH of which were earned within an astonishingly fast period of time (Both Beyonce and Mariah's debut singles already paved the way to establishing these two reputations).

Beyonce is bigger here in the UK than Mariah was though,

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,058
    Forum Member
    You do have a point, but I don't see Beyonce ever reaching Mariah's status.And let's not forget that we're talking about different eras and different circumstances here.Beyonce began her solo career off the back of an extremely successful girl band and she had Jay-Z helping her get her breakthrough hit, she had Daddy Knowles doing the donkey work and of course she had the wig store around the corner to make sure she has something to toss around on stage.Also, Beyonce is in the business for 15 years, but she never got sabbotaged.Mariah did get heavily boycotted, she flopped and she managed to get back, hence she has proven herself.Finally, when Mariah was out, there was stiff competition out there and many other female vocalists.Now Beyonce's only competition in the vocal department is Christina and she takes 4-year breaks, so technically Beyonce has no competition.She is the only mainstream artist that can sing, thus she's overrated.A mediocre person (my opinion) among trash looks like an excellent artist, while in fact...:o
  • Options
    Ash's ManAsh's Man Posts: 7,165
    Forum Member
    O.Michel wrote: »
    You do have a point, but I don't see Beyonce ever reaching Mariah's status.And let's not forget that we're talking about different eras and different circumstances here.Beyonce began her solo career off the back of an extremely successful girl band and she had Jay-Z helping her get her breakthrough hit, she had Daddy Knowles doing the donkey work and of course she had the wig store around the corner to make sure she has something to toss around on stage.Also, Beyonce is in the business for 15 years, but she never got sabbotaged.Mariah did get heavily boycotted, she flopped and she managed to get back, hence she has proven herself.Finally, when Mariah was out, there was stiff competition out there and many other female vocalists.Now Beyonce's only competition in the vocal department is Christina and she takes 4-year breaks, so technically Beyonce has no competition.She is the only mainstream artist that can sing, thus she's overrated.A mediocre person (my opinion) among trash looks like an excellent artist, while in fact...:o

This is incredibly one sided. Beyonce worked her arse off with DC to get to the top and had her father and Jay, yes, but Mariah was shagging a label exec when she came out, so they both had a lot of help to get to where they are.

Beyonce by now might be more respected in the industry, but I don't know if she's bigger in the UK than Mariah was at her peak. Not sure about that one... Depends. She's definitely bigger in America, she's like an industry out there, but where the music industry is concerned, there are very few artists that don't respect Beyonce and she has had praise from most of the big legends. Paul McCartney was at her show last week, she performed with Prince and Tina Turner, she's had a lot of praise heaped on her by icons like Stevie Wonder and Michael Jackson. Don't know if Mariah ever reached that level of respect. There's more opinions in the industry than just Simon Cowell's.
  • Options
    MikePJBMikePJB Posts: 5,514
    Forum Member
    If she's the' only mainstream artist that can sing' how does that make her overrated? If the others girls in the game can't step their game up that's their bad. I think some people underrate Bey. There's no one else who can really do what she does when she's on that stage. Just because Mariah flopped and came back doesn't mean that Bey has more to prove. She hasn't had a flop so you could switch it round and say she has proved herself. There's stiff competition around now I think. I mean none of the other can match her talent, but these days it's so much harder to stay on top. If your gone a few years no one care about you.
  • Options
    Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No. Beyonce is successful in her own right but she is not bigger than Mariah was in the US. Mariah was a much bigger name/Household name than Beyonce is now. Mariah might not be as successful as she was but her name is still known and respected all over the world.
  • Options
    PsychosisPsychosis Posts: 18,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Minor correction - Beyonce released four albums in eight years, not ten.
  • Options
    EastEndFan05EastEndFan05 Posts: 4,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Since when was Mariah Carey respected? Her name seems to be akin to a dirty word whenever it's brought up. I'd say Beyonce is more respected. I can't say who's more popular in the United States since I don't live there but Mariah Carey was only popular in the mid 90's over here. She's had sporadic success since then while Beyonce seems to have sustained her career since Destiny's Child.
  • Options
    LewnaticcLewnaticc Posts: 3,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MikePJB wrote: »
    Just because Mariah flopped and came back doesn't mean that Bey has more to prove. She hasn't had a flop so you could switch it round and say she has proved herself.
    That's not to say she won't flop. All artists get to that stage in their career where they peak. Right now, I believe Beyoncé is having her peak, so there definitely is pressure on her now to come back with another, bigger bang with the next album.
    Mariah was lucky enough to peak twice in her career (Daydream-Butterfly, '96-'98, and Emancipation of Mimi, 05-onwards), the second time without the help of "shagging a label exec". Besides, after the embarrassment that was 'Glitter', Mariah's post 2005 success made it that much more significant.

Overall, I would say Beyoncé is massive right now, but people who were not around/paying attention to the industry when Mariah was the imperial songbird that people made her out to be wouldn't realise just how big Mariah was. Especially in the US. Plus, she's also very successful in Japan and they tend to disregard the majority of US/UK-based artists.
    Since when was Mariah Carey respected? Her name seems to be akin to a dirty word whenever it's brought up. I'd say Beyonce is more respected. I can't say who's more popular in the United States since I don't live there but Mariah Carey was only popular in the mid 90's over here. She's had sporadic success since then while Beyonce seems to have sustained her career since Destiny's Child.
    Yes, but again, Beyoncé is in her peak. No one trash talked Mariah before 'Glitter' happened, from then on out it just became easy for anyone to throw insults at her, like how she was a "****" and a "diva". One wrong move from Beyoncé and she will lose that respect. Mariah was clever enough to gain in back, but she returned to prominence when the music climate was in a sort-of shallow state.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ash's Man wrote: »
    This is incredibly one sided. Beyonce worked her arse off with DC to get to the top and had her father and Jay, yes, but Mariah was shagging a label exec when she came out, so they both had a lot of help to get to where they are.

Beyonce by now might be more respected in the industry, but I don't know if she's bigger in the UK than Mariah was at her peak. Not sure about that one... Depends. She's definitely bigger in America, she's like an industry out there, but where the music industry is concerned, there are very few artists that don't respect Beyonce and she has had praise from most of the big legends. Paul McCartney was at her show last week, she performed with Prince and Tina Turner, she's had a lot of praise heaped on her by icons like Stevie Wonder and Michael Jackson. Don't know if Mariah ever reached that level of respect. There's more opinions in the industry than just Simon Cowell's.

Mariah has been praised by so many artists, Aretha Franklin, Patti Labelle, Stevie Wonder, Michael Jackson and the list goes on and on. She's performed with lots of artists, including Luther Vandross, Aretha Franklin, Patti Labelle, Pavarotti, Diana Ross. Even rappers site Mariah as a major influence on their careers. I appreciate that Beyonce is your favourite artist but I think it's ignorant to say that only Simon Cowell respects Mariah in the industry.

I think some people her are too young to remember just how big Mariah was in her prime. I mean even if we look at the US, Mariah has had a lot more success there than Beyonce has. I mean she had more number ones than any solo artists, sold more albums than Beyonce has in America and worldwide. She is the biggest selling Non-Japanese artist EVER in Japan. As for her UK success, I think she was bigger but Beyonce has sustained her success in the UK longer than Mariah did. I'm not trying to out Beyonce down. She has been very successful and achieved a lot.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lewnaticc wrote: »
    That's not to say she won't flop. All artists get to that stage in their career where they peak. Right now, I believe Beyoncé is having her peak, so there definitely is pressure on her now to come back with another, bigger bang with the next album.
    Mariah was lucky enough to peak twice in her career (Daydream-Butterfly, '96-'98, and Emancipation of Mimi, 05-onwards), the second time without the help of "shagging a label exec". Besides, after the embarrassment that was 'Glitter', Mariah's post 2005 success made it that much more significant.

Overall, I would say Beyoncé is massive right now, but people who were not around/paying attention to the industry when Mariah was the imperial songbird that people made her out to be wouldn't realise just how big Mariah was. Especially in the US. Plus, she's also very successful in Japan and they tend to disregard the majority of US/UK-based artists.

Yes, but again, Beyoncé is in her peak. No one trash talked Mariah before 'Glitter' happened, from then on out it just became easy for anyone to throw insults at her, like how she was a "****" and a "diva". One wrong move from Beyoncé and she will lose that respect. Mariah was clever enough to gain in back, but she returned to prominence when the music climate was in a sort-of shallow state.

Exactly, I would say even now Beyonce is getting some stick because her latest album has not been as successful as her previous album. No-one stays at the top forever.
  • Options
    MindBodySoulMindBodySoul Posts: 243
    Forum Member
    Beyoncé definitely has more respect in the industry. I think Mariah's fans confuse the respect of her talent with the respect of her work. Mariah's voice is/was beyond pretty much everyone else in Pop, but her music has always been soft R'n'B Lite, with few exceptions.

Also, Mariah is basically irrelevent right now. There's no new artists coming up in the same mould has her that are achieving success, her last record got average reviews and flopped bad, and apart from that she just doesn't look interested anymore, and hasn't done for several years.
  • Options
    Imperfect AngelImperfect Angel Posts: 3,750
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. And that goes for both the US and the UK. She is one of the biggest selling females of all time and her voice is known the world over. Her impact was huge.

To say Mariah isn't respected in the industry is just a big load of crap.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Before responding, I shall note that I am by no means a Mariah fan; I don't know all of her songs, I haven't watched a lot of her performances and I own none of her albums.
    Ash's Man wrote: »
    Mariah had help at first and so does every artist, but Beyonce, unlike everyone else, had a certain amount of hyper protective industry moguls backing her throughout her career.Mariah on the other hand got massively sabotaged to the extent where radios wouldn't even play her tracks.Beyonce never had to face with such difficulties.
    If she's the' only mainstream artist that can sing' how does that make her overrated? If the others girls in the game can't step their game up that's their bad. I think some people underrate Bey. There's no one else who can really do what she does when she's on that stage. Just because Mariah flopped and came back doesn't mean that Bey has more to prove. She hasn't had a flop so you could switch it round and say she has proved herself. There's stiff competition around now I think. I mean none of the other can match her talent, but these days it's so much harder to stay on top. If your gone a few years no one care about you.
    I'll just repeat the last phrase on my first post: "A mediocre person among trash looks like an excellent artist, while in fact...".Beyonce is the only one today that can do all that, but the only reason why she gets all the praise is because all the others are horrible, not because she herself is excellent.That makes her overrated or at least inaccurately judged.And Beyonce has more to prove because if you notice the DC history and her solo career, there was always an open door for her, somewhere, somehow.Mariah had a certain time in her career where noone wanted to be around her and noone wanted to work with her, because she was considered washed out and finished.Beyonce has not been there and if she gets there and manages to bounce back then she'll have proven herself, but if she gets there and stays in obscurity then it will be apparent that she wasn't that special in her own right.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 117
    Forum Member
    watch this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-buyRabOmo

I remember as i child every little girl wants to be able to sing like Mariah,
  • Options
    EastEndFan05EastEndFan05 Posts: 4,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

According to Wikipedia 'Glitter' came out in 2001. Mariah Carey was long past her peak by the point. I'm just scanning her discography now and the only hits I remember are Heartbreaker, Against All Odds (:yawn:), We Belong Together, Without You, All I Want For Christmas and Hero. That's discounting all the covers she's done such as I'll Be There and I Want To Know What Love Is which I remember but not because she sang them. Just looking at chart positions her peak seems to be 1993-1996 with ups and downs ever since. Beyonce's peak has lasted longer. If you take Destiny's Child into it she's been popular continuously since 1998. Carey will always have the upper hand in sales
    since she came out long before illegal downloading. I think people were disrespectful of Carey long before 2001. I've rarely heard a good word said about her even at her peak.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Beyoncé definitely has more respect in the industry. I think Mariah's fans confuse the respect of her talent with the respect of her work. Mariah's voice is/was beyond pretty much everyone else in Pop, but her music has always been soft R'n'B Lite, with few exceptions.

Also, Mariah is basically irrelevent right now. There's no new artists coming up in the same mould has her that are achieving success, her last record got average reviews and flopped bad, and apart from that she just doesn't look interested anymore, and hasn't done for several years.

To be honest, Mariah doesn't need to do anything now at this point in her career. She has made it and can sit back. She is known all over the world. Her work is respected especially in the RnB community. She opened the door for a lot of the younger RnB female artists. She was one of the artists that brought RnB/Hip-hop to the mainstream. Which opened the doors for Beyonce and co.
  • Options
    Forum Member

I'm not saying she won't have a flop. The poster said that Mariah had a comeback so has proved herself, well Beyoncé hasn't had a flop and is still going strong, so she's also proving herself.

I can't see people losing all respect for Beyoncé if she does one thing wrong. Well I guess it depends what it is, but I can't see that happening. Too many people have said so many good things it just can't be forgotten. Same with Mariah really. People may have got put of with Mariah because of the way her music changed. I don't know, I remember a lot of people slating her in that video where she's at a race court with a bikini on. I wasn't really following music at that time, but the breakdown didn't help.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    O.Michel wrote: »
    Before responding, I shall note that I am by no means a Mariah fan; I don't know all of her songs, I haven't watched a lot of her performances and I own none of her albums.

Mariah had help at first and so does every artist, but Beyonce, unlike everyone else, had a certain amount of hyper protective industry moguls backing her throughout her career.Mariah on the other hand got massively sabotaged to the extent where radios wouldn't even play her tracks.Beyonce never had to face with such difficulties.

I'll just repeat the last phrase on my first post: "A mediocre person among trash looks like an excellent artist, while in fact...".Beyonce is the only one today that can do all that, but the only reason why she gets all the praise is because all the others are horrible, not because she herself is excellent.That makes her overrated or at least inaccurately judged.And Beyonce has more to prove because if you notice the DC history and her solo career, there was always an open door for her, somewhere, somehow.Mariah had a certain time in her career where noone wanted to be around her and noone wanted to work with her, because she was considered washed out and finished.Beyonce has not been there and if she gets there and manages to bounce back then she'll have proven herself, but if she gets there and stays in obscurity then it will be apparent that she wasn't that special in her own right.
    ...And if she carries on strong and never has a bad moment then she can be considered better than Mariah :D. Joking, but it seems to be you don't like Beyoncé. You keep saying the only reason why she looks as good as she does is because everyone around her is crap. She's the best at what she does, again if there's no one out there who can match her well that's their problem. It's not fair to say everyone else is crap, therefore it makes her look better. Maybe people just can't do what she does as good as her ;).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not saying she won't have a flop. The poster said that Mariah had a comeback so has proved herself, well Beyoncé hasn't had a flop and is still going strong, so she's also proving herself.

I can't see people losing all respect for Beyoncé if she does one thing wrong. Well I guess it depends what it is, but I can't see that happening. Too many people have said so many good things it just can't be forgotten. Same with Mariah really. People may have got put of with Mariah because of the way her music changed. I don't know, I remember a lot of people slating her in that video where she's at a race court with a bikini on. I wasn't really following music at that time, but the breakdown didn't help.

People went off Mariah because she moved into RnB and Hip-hop and alienated her core audience. On top of this for the first 6 years of her career she was promoted as the lovely girl next door, she had a wholesome image and was seen as respectable. Around the time that she made the dramatic change in her musical sound she also started wearing a lot less clothes and totally changed her image. To most of her core audience and the general public she went from respectable girl next door to ****. Coupled with this she went through a nasty divorce with the head of her record company and this lead to a lot of difficulties at the Sony Label. They sabotaged her career for the next 2 years and in the end she paid them to let her out of her record deal early. Then her breakdown was the final nail in the Coffin.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ...And if she carries on strong and never has a bad moment then she can be considered better than Mariah :D. Joking, but it seems to be you don't like Beyoncé. You keep saying the only reason why she looks as good as she does is because everyone around her is crap. She's the best at what she does, again if there's no one out there who can match her well that's their problem. It's not fair to say everyone else is crap, therefore it makes her look better. Maybe people just can't do what she does as good as her ;).
    Actually, I don't dislike her, even though that's obviously the way I come across.I own most of her albums, I've followed her career, I was a DC fan (their music is not aging that well, though), so I don't dislike her at all.I just feel like there is a general propensity to big up Beyonce (the media, her peers, her fans, her stans, her husband, her father, herself, her hair dresser) and that just doesn't seem fair.Beyonce has some enjoyable songs and some cool videos, but just because she stands out from a crappy industry, some people are kind of trying to misrepresent her achievements and her impact and after 5 years of that happening non-stop, it can get a bit annoying :o
  • Options
    LewnaticcLewnaticc Posts: 3,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to Wikipedia 'Glitter' came out in 2001. Mariah Carey was long past her peak by the point. I'm just scanning her discography now and the only hits I remember are
    Well, there you go. Using wikipedia to find information about an artist you clearly never really paid attention to/were to young to remember her biggest hits.
    Just looking at chart positions her peak seems to be 1993-1996 with ups and downs ever since. Beyonce's peak has lasted longer.
    Mariah was immensely popular throughout the entire 90s. If I recall, she's the only artist with the feat of having number one singles in every year of the 90s. Music Box started off her major, worldwide popularity, Daydream was her evolving sucessfully as an artist and therefore becoming even bigger, and Butterfly was her most career defining album, with one song even reshaping the charts ('Fantasy' Remix featuring O.D.B).
    If you take Destiny's Child into it she's been popular continuously since 1998. Carey will always have the upper hand in sales since she came out long before illegal downloading. I think people were disrespectful of Carey long before 2001.
    What to consider about Beyoncé is the fact that she was not always here as a solo artist. Destiny's Child were a very successfull pop-group, and Beyoncé was not the only member. If it was just her on her own from the beginning who's to say that she would even be around now?
    Also, I'll have to repeat myself here: Mariah has peaked twice. I can't think of any other artists who peak twice. Even Britney who has come back with a bang following the infamous breakdown is no way near as popular as she used to be. Mariah came back and had the biggest hit of her entire career: We Belong Together.

Furthermore, 21 years down the line, Mariah can still provide a hit album. Will Beyoncé still be here and popular in 10 years? I hope so, but time will tell.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What?! Mariah had a dominoe effect of number 1s in the US. Obviously in the UK only a few of her songs are known, but in america it was literally unstoppable the way she was topping the singles and albums charts.

Mariah had an article written about her by Stevie Wonder infact in a Time Magazine top 100 influential people. He even said something like "When girls say they want to sing, what the really mean is that they want to be able to sing like Whitney, Mariah and Aretha". She has worked with so many people, and is known for actualyl writing all her material, which is something Beyonce has controversy over. Either way, Mariah actually writes the melodies rather than doing the lyrics on their own. The industry knows that she actualyl writes all of her stuff right from when she was in school. Well, everyone except Simon Cowell!
  • Options
    Imperfect AngelImperfect Angel Posts: 3,750
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do some downplay her success in the UK?

Some facts:
    26 top ten singles
    6th best selling singles female artist
    16 silver albums
    14 gold albums
    7 platinum albums
    3 multi-platinum

She's done well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Some facts:
    26 top ten singles

Wow! I had no idea! I thought she never reached the top 25 here :o
  • Options
    Dirty PonyDirty Pony Posts: 388
    Forum Member
    No way!! Mariah was like the DIVA in the 90's. America was her manor. Beyonce has never had that.