Options

victoria pendleton fanbase

tvqueen1905tvqueen1905 Posts: 82,843
Forum Member
✭✭✭
will her olympic presence mean she has one of the biggest fanbases from the off so could maybe win it :o

looking forward to seeing her

Comments

• Options
    TerryM22TerryM22 Posts: 19,463
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    will her olympic presence mean she has one of the biggest fanbases from the off so could maybe win it :o

Thats a very good question, its hard to tell.
  • Options
    LennieLennie Posts: 25,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends on also how she does...... but everyone knows her and so the big pressure for her is there
  • Options
    Alli-FAlli-F Posts: 32,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont know, so much of it depends on personality. :confused:

But she will put the work in and she will handle the pressure well, I think. But she is very weepy and emotional, from what I've seen and that may grate with some but I do think a lot of GBP will be hoping she does well.
  • Options
    Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Louis may well do better than her. In theory a gymnast should be more suited to dance than a cyclist so whilst Victoria will work hard she is a bit of an unknown factor dance wise.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tiger Rose wrote: »
    I think Louis may well do better than her. In theory a gymnast should be more suited to dance than a cyclist so whilst Victoria will work hard she is a bit of an unknown factor dance wise.

I would be surprised if Louis does better.
  • Options
    sparklysheilasparklysheila Posts: 94
    Forum Member
    I'm hoping for good stuff from both Victoria and Louis but she did tweet today

"Just like to warn everyone, dance experience is zero, unless jumping up and down in DM boots is considered dancing #notborntodance"

Modesty or honesty? :eek:
  • Options
    LennieLennie Posts: 25,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's always said for a long time, she cant dance
  • Options
    Daisy19Daisy19 Posts: 3,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm hoping for good stuff from both Victoria and Louis but she did tweet today

"Just like to warn everyone, dance experience is zero, unless jumping up and down in DM boots is considered dancing #notborntodance"

Modesty or honesty? :eek:
    Lennie wrote: »
    She's always said for a long time, she cant dance

Oh dear.....:eek:

We'll know more after the group dance in the launch show :D
  • Options
    Jan2555*GG*Jan2555*GG* Posts: 11,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I also think she might be a bit reserved especially at the start. I saw a programme about her prior to the olympics and she has suprising self esteem issues for someone so talented in her field.
  • Options
    AnnsyreAnnsyre Posts: 109,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

She will stand out because she is determined and hard-working and will see dancing as a new challenge. And as you say she will have a huge voting fan base.
  • Options
    ForerroRocherForerroRocher Posts: 10,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It'll be quite interesting to see how the votes turn out for her (and Louis). They'll probably have a fanbase of people that are still on the olympic high and could vote for them regardless, but if that is the case (and lets just say for now they're not the best dancers.....) how long will that last?

Will there really be a number of people that would support them for the whole series because they represented us in the olympics? Just how many people that watched the olympics will really want to watch a dancing show?

Showing support for them (and GB) during the olympics is one thing, but spending money to vote for them on a Saturday night dance/entertainment show is another thing.

That's not to say I don't think they'll last a while, because I do, but what happens once the series gets to the gritty middle bit and everybody is really focusing in the dancing, and the olympics wont necessarily be the main focus/talking point for them? (Before anybody misunderstands, I'm not suggesting they're going to forget their olympic acheivements, or brush them aside. I just mean they might find themselves a little more overwhelmed by the dancing.)

Like Alli said, a lot of it also depends on the personality. They don't really get much time to let their personalities show during the olympics, yet it can often play a huge part in the voting during SCD.

So, whilst I do believe they'll be there for a while, I don't necessarily think the post-olympic high will be enough to carry them right to the end.

Just my opinion, and I could be wrong. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it'd be interesting should it come down to a dance-off between her and a more experienced dancer. Would the judges keep her because they see a potential for her to improve and learn or choose the other that has already peaked?
  • Options
    yohinnchildyohinnchild Posts: 52,533
    Forum Member
    TerryM22 wrote: »
    I would be surprised if Louis does better.

I wouldn't at all...

Look at Matt Baker - he was a gymnast in his time and he was superb.

Louis (on paper) should be better than him - however I think the only thing that will hold him back is his personality... hopeefully the video on the main site was a blip
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't at all...

Look at Matt Baker - he was a gymnast in his time and he was superb.

Louis (on paper) should be better than him - however I think the only thing that will hold him back is his personality... hopeefully the video on the main site was a blip

I have a feeling its not a blip.
  • Options
    Miriam_RMiriam_R Posts: 4,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's very fresh in my memory so I will be very interested to see how she translates her discipline of sport into learning to dance. Obv she'll be going slower in Strictly but will possibly like going around in circles lol
  • Options
    maggie_07maggie_07 Posts: 1,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think both Victoria and Louis will get a lot of votes at first because of the Olympics but later on it will depend on how they perform. They are sure to work hard and I think they'll both go a long way in the competition but don't know if they could win.
  • Options
    thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,624
    Forum Member
    Last year the vote went with the twitter fanbase at the end. This year they have picked some popular people. And the olympians will have picked up interest after the Olympics. Victoria is popular and has 200,000 followers. Louis has half that. However Kimberley has more and Nicky has nearly 50% more.

No one is as popular ( at least of those 4 ) as Harry was last year so its more open.

That may or may not all matter. Many SCD voters I suspect will think twitter is something to do with birdwatching, on the other hand it may tell us something.

Meanwhile getting Ola helps too - I think she's still got more followers than any other pro, and has over 100k in her own name......
  • Options
    Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    maggie_07 wrote: »
    I think both Victoria and Louis will get a lot of votes at first because of the Olympics but later on it will depend on how they perform. They are sure to work hard and I think they'll both go a long way in the competition but don't know if they could win.

I agree - I think there is so much public goodwill towards the Olympians that I can't see any of them going in the the first few weeks regardless of ability. Whether they get to the latter stages or win will come down more to dance ability.
  • Options
    trevvytrev21trevvytrev21 Posts: 16,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was a lesser known Olympian on Celebrity Big Brother who enjoyed good will from his housemates but came a lowly fifth and disliked by the public. So it's not a given.

I always thought Victoria rubbed people up the wrong way, she's a bit Marmite - but I like her. Louis has gymnastic ability, youth and looks on his side.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was a lesser known Olympian on Celebrity Big Brother who enjoyed good will from his housemates but came a lowly fifth and disliked by the public. So it's not a given.

I always thought Victoria rubbed people up the wrong way, she's a bit Marmite - but I like her. Louis has gymnastic ability, youth and looks on his side.

I hope thats a completely different kettle of fish, the one on big brother was very immature and was always putting on this bad boy gangsta talk for show not very nice at all.
  • Options
    *Topaz**Topaz* Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Victoria has looks and fitness on her side too, her dance ability is just unknown. I think she could be a 'j' celeb, I agree that she'll probably be a marmite contestant though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *Topaz* wrote: »
    Victoria has looks and fitness on her side too, her dance ability is just unknown. I think she could be a 'j' celeb, I agree that she'll probably be a marmite contestant though.

You could be right about the marmite thing, but if her dance ability is zero at the start her journey of improvement through the show could be the greatest, which could appeal to the punters at home.
  • Options
    maggie_07maggie_07 Posts: 1,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tiger Rose wrote: »
    I agree - I think there is so much public goodwill towards the Olympians that I can't see any of them going in the the first few weeks regardless of ability. Whether they get to the latter stages or win will come down more to dance ability.

I also think likeability makes a difference to how people vote, particularly if there are several who are pretty evenly matched. For me, if someone is obviously loving the experience and putting everything into it and improving all the time, it helps me decide if I'm not sure who to vote for. I think both the Olympians will be in this category. They must have had loads of other offers so I'm really impressed that they chose Strictly.
  • Options
    mindyannmindyann Posts: 20,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to admit I'm surprised a non-retired athlete has agreed to take part - I would have thought the shadow of what happened to Jade would have made someone who wants to go back to the day job think twice!
  • Options
    Jan2555*GG*Jan2555*GG* Posts: 11,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mindyann wrote: »
    I have to admit I'm surprised a non-retired athlete has agreed to take part - I would have thought the shadow of what happened to Jade would have made someone who wants to go back to the day job think twice!

Victoria has retired from cycling