Blackberry Pocketbook Be Aware

2»

Comments

• television2004television2004 Posts: 2,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    misar wrote: »
    Yes but only one user. How did you try to connect to the five PCs?

You have already been told that file transfers are not supported at all via Bluetooth and that USB transfers work only if Blackberry Desktop software has been correctly installed on each required PC.

Bds installed on all 5 computers. This problem is not new the BlackBerry forum is full of users who cannot get connected. I will not post any more as it's in my eyes not fit for purpose. So back it will go.How anyone can produce a device that is not plug and play is beyond belief.
  • sheppy124sheppy124 Posts: 689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bds installed on all 5 computers. This problem is not new the BlackBerry forum is full of users who cannot get connected. I will not post any more as it's in my eyes not fit for purpose. So back it will go.How anyone can produce a device that is not plug and play is beyond belief.

You will find that Bluetooth transfer to pcs is not blackberry a fault it lies with microsoft
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member

How many times do you have to be told, the issue is NOT with the tablet but with your PC?

I've already posted you the link with the technical details of the fault code you posted.

I give up!
  • mouseorganmouseorgan Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    Don't give up on your playbook yet. I had the same problem and this advice from BlackBerry tech support solved it.

Some internet security programs can block the playbook.Disable your firewall and anti-virus before connecting the playbook to your pc by usb. (You can disable wifi too to be safe). Connect the playbook and it should now show up in the BlackBerry desktop software, allowing you to sync music, pics and videos. It will also appear as drive z, allowing you to drag and drop files.

Restart your firewall and anti-virus when you disconnect.

If you register your new playbook with BlackBerry you get 90 days free support - I certainly found them helpful.

Hope this helps if you give it a try.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How many times do you have to be told, the issue is NOT with the tablet but with your PC?

I've already posted you the link with the technical details of the fault code you posted.

I give up!

I said I was not going to post again. But to just put you right I was on that sites trying all the various permutations 6 days ago that was why I had been at it for 4 days as my original post. This was before you posted. Like you I give up, I have never had as many problems with duff software with other applications I have connected to my PC compared to this Bpb. Basically some PC, it works others it does not. It should not be my problem to sort it out. Why connect a usb device as a network device in the first place?
  • clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why connect a usb device as a network device in the first place?

Security. Which is something that RIM have got right from the outset, and Apple/Android are having to kludge to get working even half as well.
  • slick1twoslick1two Posts: 2,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I said I was not going to post again. But to just put you right I was on that sites trying all the various permutations 6 days ago that was why I had been at it for 4 days as my original post. This was before you posted. Like you I give up, I have never had as many problems with duff software with other applications I have connected to my PC compared to this Bpb. Basically some PC, it works others it does not. It should not be my problem to sort it out. Why connect a usb device as a network device in the first place?

Why can't you connect through wifi? works fine here. It shows up on the pc and i can transfer videos, music no problem.
  • Black HughBlack Hugh Posts: 1,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got the Playbook for Christmas. It was between this and the kindle fire and I have to say I love the PB. No problems at all with set up including email. Apps are poor but I knew that beforehand. Looks great as well!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    slick1two wrote: »
    Why can't you connect through wifi? works fine here. It shows up on the pc and i can transfer videos, music no problem.

AS PER ORIGINAL POST. File sharing with Wifi is also no go.Entering BPb ip address on computers, returns no network address found. Thats why I spent 4 days on all the fudges and so called fixes listed must be about 100 on the Blackberry, Crackberry and other sites with users who have had the same problem, some work some don't. Everyone I've tried don't!. Again like I said buyer be aware of this problem.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clonmult wrote: »
    Security. Which is something that RIM have got right from the outset, and Apple/Android are having to kludge to get working even half as well.

This probably is the reason why they are selling for less than a third the value of 18 months ago. The security problems is letting it down! Look at all the fudges and fixes on Blackberry and Crackberry. If you just want to surf the net send/receive e mails and maybe use BBC i player then it is OK. Not if you want to access the 64 gig memory!
  • SchadenfreudSchadenfreud Posts: 1,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My wife is the most non technical person I know, she had her playbook connected to the PC and transferring TV and Films in less than an hour. I could have done it quicker, but it's her device so she wanted to learn how to use it herself.
    Great piece of tech, but I disagree about it being better than the Nexus 7, mine is far better than her PB :D

Sounds like typical a Pebcak error. :)
  • sheppy124sheppy124 Posts: 689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This probably is the reason why they are selling for less than a third the value of 18 months ago. The security problems is letting it down! Look at all the fudges and fixes on Blackberry and Crackberry. If you just want to surf the net send/receive e mails and maybe use BBC i player then it is OK. Not if you want to access the 64 gig memory!

Every village has one
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I have got WiFi file sharing working between PC and Blackberry.
    Previously it had stated no network device is available with this address.
    The problem had been caused by the Blackberry desktop manager, even after removing the installation by using uninstall or the add/remove files option in windows. I was still getting no network device available.
    What I did was go into file search and ask it to list all files put on the computer since 25 Dec (day I got BPb). Even though I had deleted BDM, there were still a lot of files with either RIM or Blackberry still on the computers hard drive. I systematically deleted them. I was going to reinstall BDM and connect the usb drive up but by chance I thought I would just type the Blackberrys IP address in the start-run command line as it was the quickest to do. Bingo! it took the address and gave me access to the memory on the BPb. No doubt the problem I have had on all the computers has been caused by installing BDM first. OK the speed is not as fast as a USB connection, but its fast enough for me to use.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of the things I found was everytime I connected over usb I had to open the blackberry desktop. Manager for it to pick it up also another fix if that doesn't help is looking in device manager and removing it there then reinsert
  • AvidianAvidian Posts: 6,043
    Forum Member
    I think I've just broke the micro-USB/charging port on my Playbook :(:o
    Forum Member
    Avidian wrote: »
    I think I've just broke the micro-USB/charging port on my Playbook :(:o
    I called 0800 096 2805 and spoke to RIM's customer support staff.

They went through everything with me very slowly (:o)...and once they established that the fault was with the micro-USB port (:rolleyes:), they put me through to a lovely sounding Canadian lady who arranged for my Playbook to be collected by FedEx for repairs :)

FIN

:o
  • nitenursenitenurse Posts: 1,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I know my recharger won't plug in. Had to resort to stealing my son's desktop charger.
  • slick1twoslick1two Posts: 2,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I called 0800 096 2805 and spoke to RIM's customer support staff.

They went through everything with me very slowly (:o)...and once they established that the fault was with the micro-USB port (:rolleyes:), they put me through to a lovely sounding Canadian lady who arranged for my Playbook to be collected by FedEx for repairs :)

FIN

:o

Did they say if there will be a charge for the repair? I know someone with a PB and they were told it would cost £70 to repair it, since USB damage is not covered by the warranty. He didn't bother and just bought a Rapid charger instead. Rapid charger uses the magnetic port with the 3 contacts. Only thing is it doesn't do data so you cant connect to the PC that way.
    Forum Member
    slick1two wrote: »
    Did they say if there will be a charge for the repair? I know someone with a PB and they were told it would cost £70 to repair it, since USB damage is not covered by the warranty. He didn't bother and just bought a Rapid charger instead. Rapid charger uses the magnetic port with the 3 contacts. Only thing is it doesn't do data so you cant connect to the PC that way.
    Sorry I haven't replied earlier...I've just read the (3rd) email from Olivia from Black Berry Customer Support (I haven't been checking the email address I gave them until today :o):
    Please be advised the repair facility has informed that the PlayBook has USB damage & PCB soldering pad broken.

Here are your following options:

1. To repair USB & PCB soldering pad at the customer’s cost as per price list. ($95.00)

2. To return the customer’s device as is.

I have asked it to be returned without it been repaired.

I'm quite careful with my stuff and if the USB port can't handle moderate use without breaking, I'd rather get a rapid charger.

I would have to (learn to) use Bluetooth for data exchange, I guess...I bought a few of those £1 Bluetooth dongles from Poundworld in Nottingham.

Not so long ago, PC World were selling the cradle type rapid chargers online for about £5....I had one reserved in a nearby town but didn't picked it up because I was busy.

This is the second Tablet I bought that has been faulty (the other one was a Chinese Android pad) :(
  • millimole2001millimole2001 Posts: 342
    Forum Member
    Acadian, it might be worth googling this USB issue, I've a vague recollection of this being a known issue, and it can be fixed (if my memory is right) by careful use of a toothpick!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry I haven't replied earlier...I've just read the (3rd) email from Olivia from Black Berry Customer Support (I haven't been checking the email address I gave them until today :o):

I have asked it to be returned without it been repaired.

I'm quite careful with my stuff and if the USB port can't handle moderate use without breaking, I'd rather get a rapid charger.

I would have to (learn to) use Bluetooth for data exchange, I guess...I bought a few of those £1 Bluetooth dongles from Poundworld in Nottingham.

Not so long ago, PC World were selling the cradle type rapid chargers online for about £5....I had one reserved in a nearby town but didn't picked it up because I was busy.

This is the second Tablet I bought that has been faulty (the other one was a Chinese Android pad) :(

Use the WiFi data exchange. See my earlier post. Unfortunatly you need the USB to charge the pocketbook so you would need to get a magnetic charger. The USB connector and HDMI connecter are very flimsy. It doesn't help with the connector not being marked as to which way to connect it. I've marked my yellow USB connector on top with blue ink so I know which way to put it in.
    Forum Member
    Thank you both for your replies :)
    Acadian, it might be worth googling this USB issue, I've a vague recollection of this being a known issue, and it can be fixed (if my memory is right) by careful use of a toothpick!
    I like the idea of using a toothpick to repair the fault, it amuses me greatly....how very Heath Robinson :D
    Use the WiFi data exchange. See my earlier post. Unfortunatly you need the USB to charge the pocketbook so you would need to get a magnetic charger. The USB connector and HDMI connecter are very flimsy. It doesn't help with the connector not being marked as to which way to connect it. I've marked my yellow USB connector on top with blue ink so I know which way to put it in.
    I will go and see if my local Currys/PC World are still selling the (rapid) magnetic chargers....if not, I'll get one from Amazon.

I'll look into WiFi data exchange as soon as my PocketBook arrives :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've not installed or downloaded any software to use with my Playbook and connects fine using Ubuntu Linux - which can be difficult to use with propriety/locked down hardware and works fine with Windows 7.

In storage & sharing, make sure File Sharing is on and WiFi sharing is on.

Look in Network Identification - Properties
    The Tablet Network Name is what you need to find the tablet on the Network

In Windows I've mapped the playbook a drive letter, in Ubuntu it's a shortcut.

In windows explorer you could enter into the address bar smb://XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX where the Xs are the IP address of your Playbook which can be found in About > Network.

Hadn't noticed you solved the problem, sorry!