Options

Friends Gripes

Comments

• Options
    Squealer_MahonySquealer_Mahony Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    On the birthday thing, Rachel seems to have a load of birthdays (the one where she finds out about Ross, the one with her divorced parents, the 'surprise party', she turns 30, the one with gavin) but the other characters seem to only have one,
    Ross in the one about money, Joey in the one with his sisters, Phoebe has two I think one when Joey is dating Ursula and one when they are all late. Chandler and Monica don't really have birthdays mentioned.

I think its funny, how Ross and Rachel were only in a relationship for a year. The way they go on about it like...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very strange. Even without the balcony there he wouldn't be able to see in :s

Also didn't Rachel have a really long pregnancy? I'm sure she found out she was pregnant in May and in an ep later on was the Thanksgiving ep (with Brad) when she should have been about 7mths gone still no bump. Think someone once said acc to when eps were set she had a 16mth pregnancy :s
  • Options
    Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, it seemed really long because it was revealed in the season 7 finale and she only came out of hospital after giving birth in episode 2 of season 9. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The toilet in Joey's apartment changes position a lot. Sometimes its on right as you go in, sometimes on the left.

Also what happened to new baby chick and duck when Joey moved? This really should have been mentioned in the series Joey.
  • Options
    Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ross told Joey and Chandler, that his ex-wife Carol was the first woman he had sex with yet, in the episode with Ross' aversion to Tacos, it turns out he slept with the college cleaning lady.
  • Options
    Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    I am pretty sure that one of joeys girlfriends shows up in a later episode as a completely different character. As the girlfriend, she's the one who is quite short, long wavy hair...who keeps punching joey really hard although she doesn't realise it.

I know she appears again later on...as someone else...but I can't remember the episode or scene....can anyone else...otherwise I might just have to start watching again!

She was the receptionist at the chain massage parlour Pheobe went to work for - the one where she was pretending to be Ikea when giving Rachel a massage
  • Options
    storm818storm818 Posts: 811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always wondered why phoebe was part of the close group when she seems to be a bit of a bitch:D

she is very Conceited,frequently answering "i know" to compliments.

she insults the friends quite a bit.called monica high maintenence and rachel a walkover.

she mugged ross and tried to cut monica out of her life.

she is moody

she tried to ruin monicas restaraunt

she almost split up channdler and monica by stupidly telling chandler about richard on the plane.she puts her foot in it,breaking peoples confidences quite a bit

she lent money to monica and was asking for it back the next day.id be pissed at that.

she stabbed a cop

shes a vegan that eats meat,she hates big corporations but works for one.

chandler and joey got her jobs but she acted like a moron.

she throws many hissy fits and is ery inconsistant with her behaviour.

obviously,she has some great traits too,but she always kinda annoyed me.:D

Another one to add to the list, just watching the episode where Mike proposes. She completely messes that up for Mike and basically turns his proposal into an awkward joke.

Not to mention she plays Mike & David against each other leading up to Barbados.
  • Options
    TrekTheGalaxyTrekTheGalaxy Posts: 51
    Forum Member
    She was the receptionist at the chain massage parlour Pheobe went to work for - the one where she was pretending to be Ikea when giving Rachel a massage

That's actually a different actress, but she does kind of look like Soleil.
    storm818 wrote: »
    Another one to add to the list, just watching the episode where Mike proposes. She completely messes that up for Mike and basically turns his proposal into an awkward joke..

It was hardly Phoebe's fault though. She didn't know he would propose to her at a football game and she didn't know he was going to hide her ring in a cake. It's not like she mocked Mike on purpose. She just thought it was a cheesy way to propose.

That episode always annoyed me a little. When Phoebe turned it around and proposed to Mike at a football game, the crowd starting booing. If that had happened in real life, it would have been upsetting for the couple :cry:
  • Options
    decobelledecobelle Posts: 4,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It was hardly Phoebe's fault though. She didn't know he would propose to her at a football game and she didn't know he was going to hide her ring in a cake. It's not like she mocked Mike on purpose. She just thought it was a cheesy way to propose.

That episode always annoyed me a little. When Phoebe turned it around and proposed to Mike at a football game, the crowd starting booing. If that had happened in real life, it would have been upsetting for the couple :cry:

Maybe they had watched Friends and though Phoebe was a pain in the ass too :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    decobelle wrote: »
    Maybe they had watched Friends and though Phoebe was a pain in the ass too :D

Ha, maybe :D

The scene did provide for one of my favourite lines in the show. "Boo us? BOO YOU!" :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unlike everyone else I really liked Phoebe. Strangely I never found her funny the first time round but now her and Ross are the ones who make me laugh out loud. I don't think she was bitchy at all, just 'out there' and so said what she thought without meaning to be nasty. One of the best characters on tv IMO. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never liked Ross. In the earlier seasons he was a bore and too much of the straight man to everyone else's comedy. Then in the later seasons he was too whiny and whingy.

I really liked Phoebe, although I think that was all down to Lisa Kudrow. I think I'd have probably got as bored with her kookiness as I did with Joey's stupidity writing wise. But Lisa Kudrow's delivery made it what it was. She was hilarious.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In 'The One Where Eveyone Is Late' (think that's the ep title), Rachel and Phoebe dress Emma up in Joey's Cabbage Patch dolls outfit. Now this must be a big doll, cos there's no way an outfit from ones I had as a little un would fit a child of Emma's age. At best they'd fit a premature v small baby.
  • Options
    storm818storm818 Posts: 811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's more the fact that she is highly opinionated and has to have a say on practically everything rather than just sitting back and enjoying something without judging.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    storm818 wrote: »
    It's more the fact that she is highly opinionated and has to have a say on practically everything rather than just sitting back and enjoying something without judging.

What's wrong with being highly opinionated? Ross is highly opinionated too. Sometimes he refuses to acknowledge that other people have different opinions to his own.

All Phoebe said was that proposing at a football game is tacky, which I'm sure a lot of people agree with. It wouldn't have even been an issue if Mike wasn't planning to propose the same way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's wrong with being highly opinionated? Ross is highly opinionated too. Sometimes he refuses to acknowledge that other people have different opinions to his own.

All Phoebe said was that proposing at a football game is tacky, which I'm sure a lot of people agree with. It wouldn't have even been an issue if Mike wasn't planning to propose the same way.

I wouldn't say Ross is opinionated, he just buys into the theory of evolution, and gravity and stuff!
  • Options
    Squealer_MahonySquealer_Mahony Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    In 'The One Where Eveyone Is Late' (think that's the ep title), Rachel and Phoebe dress Emma up in Joey's Cabbage Patch dolls outfit. Now this must be a big doll, cos there's no way an outfit from ones I had as a little un would fit a child of Emma's age. At best they'd fit a premature v small baby.

That whole cabbage patch doll thing was weird they already had him having a stuffed penguin...
    Also they dressed Ben in a toys outfit too, they must have huge toys!!

Just watching The Last One (for the 100th time) and maybe I'm soft when it comes to kids but does anyone thing it's weird that Rachel would fly across the globe without Emma and then have Emma fly across the globe without her, I know she was going with Rachel's mam but I dunno I'd be weird about that. Not that Ross cared either way, you'd think he would've wanted as much time with her as possible eh!
  • Options
    E05297535E05297535 Posts: 5,602
    Forum Member
    I always wondered why phoebe was part of the close group when she seems to be a bit of a bitch:D

she is very Conceited,frequently answering "i know" to compliments.

she insults the friends quite a bit.called monica high maintenence and rachel a walkover.

she mugged ross and tried to cut monica out of her life.

she is moody

she tried to ruin monicas restaraunt

she almost split up channdler and monica by stupidly telling chandler about richard on the plane.she puts her foot in it,breaking peoples confidences quite a bit

she lent money to monica and was asking for it back the next day.id be pissed at that.

she stabbed a cop

shes a vegan that eats meat,she hates big corporations but works for one.

chandler and joey got her jobs but she acted like a moron.

she throws many hissy fits and is ery inconsistant with her behaviour.

obviously,she has some great traits too,but she always kinda annoyed me.:D

She annoyed me too.....didn't quite see what her existence in the show was all about, plus she was often a bully too.....to everyone except Joey!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That whole cabbage patch doll thing was weird they already had him having a stuffed penguin...
    Also they dressed Ben in a toys outfit too, they must have huge toys!!

Just watching The Last One (for the 100th time) and maybe I'm soft when it comes to kids but does anyone thing it's weird that Rachel would fly across the globe without Emma and then have Emma fly across the globe without her, I know she was going with Rachel's mam but I dunno I'd be weird about that. Not that Ross cared either way, you'd think he would've wanted as much time with her as possible eh!

Rachel's rainy day bear, which again had clothes too small for Ben I'd say.

You'd think Ross would wanna be with Emma more, maybe even offer to take her to Paris himself. But then he barely mentioned Ben in the last few series, it would have been nice to have seen Emma and Ben in some scenes together.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    E05297535 wrote: »
    She annoyed me too.....didn't quite see what her existence in the show was all about, plus she was often a bully too.....to everyone except Joey!!!

Argh, when she was really p@ssed off with Ross, and mean to him for a whole episode, then it turned out he'd upset her in a dream - and he was fine with it! One of my main gripes is that no one ever just told her to eff off!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    decobelle wrote: »
    Argh, when she was really p@ssed off with Ross, and mean to him for a whole episode, then it turned out he'd upset her in a dream - and he was fine with it! One of my main gripes is that no one ever just told her to eff off!

"Are you angry with me because I said your writing was childlike?" "No! That made me feel precious.":D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved that episode. Lisa Kudrow could make the slightest thing funny.

I remember when Phoebe and Ross were dating a divorced couple and were defending their partners and she says "Speaking of selfish in bed, how's Whitney?" :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,382
    Forum Member
    I think there's a period in the show where Joey's intelligence goes up - around Season 4 onwards, up to a point in Season 8 or so where he turns in to a kid in an adult's body. The French episode pushed it over the edge.
  • Options
    vkmaxvkmax Posts: 3,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ages were poor.

Rachel and Monica were the same age. Monica states in season 2 that she is 27 yet Rachel doesn't turn 30 until season 7.

Really, Monica and Rachel would've been 36, Chandler and Ross 37-38 when the show ended.

Phoebe is the best! It's a sitcom - it's not meant to be real life and generally continuity get=s thrown out to accomadate a story or joke. Really though - which of these people are actually people you'd want to hang out with? Ross is a patronising headcase, Monica is a shrill interfering nag, Joey is painfully stupid...only Rachel and Chandler would actually be barable socially.