Options

9/11 - 13 years on

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 312
Forum Member
The month that brings back absolutely frightening memories of the September 11 attacks, the unbelievable chaos of that day in September of 2001. This year marks the 13th anniversary since that harrowing day.

Several documentaries being shown (some on More4 right as I post this). Unreal. Day that shook the world.

Comments

• Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was wondering when a thread on this would appear
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Was wondering when a thread on this would appear

Was reminded whilst flicking through the TV guide - '9/11: 102 minutes that changed the world.' Most gripping piece of TV I've ever watched. Unreal.
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,990
    Forum Member
    I know this is going to come across badly but is there really anything left to say about it?

Obviously a very big moment in history and I could probably understand 5/10 year anniversary shows but we get the same programmes that have been aired year after year after year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I dunno, I was thinking the same earlier.

I think it's the whole thing about how massive it was that makes it so relevant, still. The pictures are still unbelievable to imagine, and the whole thing is engrossing in a bad way, because it was a moment that would change the planet forever. But I see what you mean.
  • Options
    Sweet_PrincessSweet_Princess Posts: 11,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was thinking about this the other day and thought to make a thread but realised maybe I shouldnt as its a sensitive subject. I cant believe its actually 13 years since this horrible event happened. I was only 14 years old back then in school and coming home to see holes in the world trade center on tv. I cant imagine the fear that went through the peoples minds who were trapped and killed in those buildings. It took 10 years for Osama Bin Laden to be found and caught and im glad he is now dead for what he caused
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Pfftt, to be honest I was unmoved on the day and am now.
    Spent the afternoon down the pub due to half the office crowding round my computer as I had a TV tuner card.

Some people are planning to wring the bollox out of this every year by the looks of things.
    Docs about what it lead to, in the Middle East don't seem to make much of an appearance at any time of the year.

Hey ho, I must be bored even contributing to this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ive juist switched onto More 4 from the OP saying one of the documentaries is on there and its just horrfic re watching that day
  • Options
    BrooklynBoyBrooklynBoy Posts: 10,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spent the afternoon down the pub due to half the office crowding round my computer as I had a TV tuner card.

Some people are planning to wring the bollox out of this every year by the looks of things.
    Docs about what it lead to, in the Middle East don't seem to make much of an appearance at any time of the year.

Hey ho, I must be bored even contributing to this.

Fear not, it was a very worthwhile post in a thread that I'm sure everyone looks forward to every year.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's hard to imagine something like this happening again.

Watching the second plane hit was frightening and then to see the towers collapse!
  • Options
    CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just another excuse to repeat stuff C4 have shown at least 5 or 6 times in previous 9/11 anniversaries.

I won't learn anything new by watching them all again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Probably the worst thing I've seen and heard to do with 9/11.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ppAeMWFCqC8
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Centaurion wrote: »
    Just another excuse to repeat stuff C4 have shown at least 5 or 6 times in previous 9/11 anniversaries.

It's a major event in history and some people obviously were too young at the time and would be interested to see how it all happened.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Andrew-W wrote: »
    It's a major event in history and some people obviously were too young at the time and would be interested to see how it all happened.

Very true. Just imagine it happening in London, right now. It's almost impossible to think of, it's unreal. This is one of the most traumatising things in history. I don't know about most, but I'll never get bored of the documentaries.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sueeeh wrote: »

Horrific hearing the building coming down on top of them. :(
  • Options
    grah2702grah2702 Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't worry it wont get repeated many more times because it will happen again but next time it will be IS committing the atrocity.
    While the west dithers islam will strike again
    While Obama and Camoron dither about with big words and little action it is the ordinary citizens who will pay the price.
  • Options
    Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member

You're a real tough guy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sueeeh wrote: »

I remember first seeing this on you tube and it shocked me :o that poor guy must of seen the ceilng come crashing down on him while on the phone and then the line went dead
  • Options
    DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't say I think about it these days, tbh, any more than the London tube bombings. Though I saw a good documentary on it earlier this year - it ran in real time, if I remember right. Very effective.
  • Options
    Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    I know this is going to come across badly but is there really anything left to say about it?

Obviously a very big moment in history and I could probably understand 5/10 year anniversary shows but we get the same programmes that have been aired year after year after year.

Well the same could be said about the First World War or any other event.
  • Options
    Noel CanardNoel Canard Posts: 562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The sad thing is, in retaliation, the US has killed more innocents than those on 9/11.

2 wrongs do not make a right.
  • Options
    Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    So why are they putting them all on tonight and sod all on the 11th?
  • Options
    Logan FiveLogan Five Posts: 627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some people do just lack real empathy. They deserve pity.
  • Options
    Noel CanardNoel Canard Posts: 562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So why are they putting them all on tonight and sod all on the 11th?

Maybe to gear up the public for another war somewhere on the planet.. i.e. in the Middle East again.

Better sooner than later.
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Horrendous, horrendous day.

I know this is going to sound preachy but we just don't see it in the same way as we see other things going on in the world. Many thousands of lives have been lost in conflict situations before and since but they don't seem to get the same level of attention. I think it was the immediacy of it, though, that made it made it so poignant. What literally came 'out of the blue' (sky) and unfolded for those next few hours and beyond. We knew people were trapped and most likely going to die before they could be saved. We saw them waving in desperation and we saw them jump/ fall. We saw the blasts, the fire and the collapses in what is one of the most photographed and filmed parts of the world, with iconic scenery that we could easily recognise. And then we realised it wasn't a Hollywood blockbuster- it was real and final. It was unthinkable. Ordinary, unsuspecting people going about their usual day...and then...that's it.

It doesn't make what's happening in the rest of the world any less important but for those people on that day it was an Apocalypse.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    dorydaryl wrote: »
    Horrendous, horrendous day.

It falls on my 15th wedding anniversary this year, so imagine how I feel?