Transfer .ts files from 9200 to HDR Fox T2?

GooberGoober Posts: 213
Forum Member
Hi

I am going to buy a HDR Fox T2 to replace my 9200. I was thinking of copying my .ts files on my 9200 to my PC using Humax GUI then transferring them to the HDR Fox T2 from an external HDD perhaps. Is this possible and how easy is it to move the file on to the HDR Fox T2?

I need to do this as I intend to sell my 9200 to help with the purchase of the HDR Fox T2.

Thanks

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Hi Groober,
    I bought a HDR FOX T2 a few days ago and have successfully transferred files fom my 9200T using a PC. The files play well on the new box. I use the Humax Media Controller (http://www.enigma.eclipse.co.uk/humax/HumaxMediaController.htm) to transfer from the 9200. This is a slow process as it only runs at about 900 KBps.
    I tried transferring some small files to the FOX using a 4GB USB stick for a proof of concept, but this resulted in the files only being seen with names in a 8.3 format. Not very useful.
    I then tried using an 80GB iPod Classic as a transfer disk. This worked very well and the longer file names are shown, although the PC sees this as FAT32 so files bigger than 4GB need to be reduced. I use VideoReDo to edit and reduce the large files to MPEGs. These play as well as the .ts files.
    I see from discussion groups that some folk use a FTP connection from the PC directly to the FOX. This should get over the need to break large files. As an alternative, you can use NTFS format disks for read only according to the documentation.
    There is a secret option to logically dismount the USB disk from the FOX: Menu / Settings / System / System Information / Red Green Yellow Blue Green Yellow Blue. This is probably not required if you are reading the disk, and the documentation does not require any special process for dismounting the disk.
  • Luis EssexLuis Essex Posts: 2,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is there any functional advantage in transferring the files to the HDD of the HDR compared to just plugging in an external drive into one of the USB ports until all the programmes are watched and deleted?
    For TV programmes I think I'd keep them on an external drive and either delete them when watched or record the repeats on the HDR so that FF/RW work.
    Forum Member
    I think there are advantages going the other way. Files on the internal disk are encrypted. If the FOX turns its toes up, you will not be able to rescue the movies. Moving standard definition videos to the external disk will decrypt them. You will then be able to save a copy elsewhere if you are inclined, and you can have several external disks if your collection grows.
  • GooberGoober Posts: 213
    Forum Member
    NobbyC99 wrote: »
    Hi Groober,
    I bought a HDR FOX T2 a few days ago and have successfully transferred files fom my 9200T using a PC. The files play well on the new box. I use the Humax Media Controller (http://www.enigma.eclipse.co.uk/humax/HumaxMediaController.htm) to transfer from the 9200. This is a slow process as it only runs at about 900 KBps.
    I tried transferring some small files to the FOX using a 4GB USB stick for a proof of concept, but this resulted in the files only being seen with names in a 8.3 format. Not very useful.
    I then tried using an 80GB iPod Classic as a transfer disk. This worked very well and the longer file names are shown, although the PC sees this as FAT32 so files bigger than 4GB need to be reduced. I use VideoReDo to edit and reduce the large files to MPEGs. These play as well as the .ts files.
    I see from discussion groups that some folk use a FTP connection from the PC directly to the FOX. This should get over the need to break large files. As an alternative, you can use NTFS format disks for read only according to the documentation.
    There is a secret option to logically dismount the USB disk from the FOX: Menu / Settings / System / System Information / Red Green Yellow Blue Green Yellow Blue. This is probably not required if you are reading the disk, and the documentation does not require any special process for dismounting the disk.

Nobby - in the absence of any advice I went through the long winded process of transferring the files using the Media Controller then I copied them on to my 500 gb external hdd. I then imported them on to the Fox. I like having all my files in the one place and have moved certain files into the folder system under the Fox for series that I have been watching. This worked for me, others may prefer to keep the 9200 files on external hdd.
    Forum Member
    Hi Groober,
    You have done much that same as me. I have found a small problem, but have a work around. A few of the programmes I transferred from the 9200 will not play on the FOX. The work around is to use VideoRoDo to create a new MPEG file, and then use the VLC Media Player Wizard to encapsulate it as a MPEG2 stream in a .ts file. I tried to play the MPEG on the FOX, but it lost the ability fast forward and skip. The play and pause were fine.
  • GooberGoober Posts: 213
    Forum Member
    NobbyC99 wrote: »
    Hi Groober,
    You have done much that same as me. I have found a small problem, but have a work around. A few of the programmes I transferred from the 9200 will not play on the FOX. The work around is to use VideoRoDo to create a new MPEG file, and then use the VLC Media Player Wizard to encapsulate it as a MPEG2 stream in a .ts file. I tried to play the MPEG on the FOX, but it lost the ability fast forward and skip. The play and pause were fine.

Hi Nobby - fortunately I do not have the same problem and I am slowly working through and then deleting my 9200 progs. I am not sure I quite understand the "VideoRoDo to create a new MPEG file" process nor am I sure i would go to the trouble. Instead I would probably convert to avi and watch the programme that way. I also cannot use the fast forward for these programmes. I use the left and right button on the cursor instead.

Now my next problem is to work out a way of watching my recordings through my home network on my PC.
  • io1901io1901 Posts: 232
    Forum Member
    Goober wrote: »
    Hi Nobby - fortunately I do not have the same problem and I am slowly working through and then deleting my 9200 progs. I am not sure I quite understand the "VideoRoDo to create a new MPEG file" process nor am I sure i would go to the trouble. Instead I would probably convert to avi and watch the programme that way. I also cannot use the fast forward for these programmes. I use the left and right button on the cursor instead.

Now my next problem is to work out a way of watching my recordings through my home network on my PC.

"VideoRoDo to create a new MPEG file" refers to a programme called Videoredo. I was doubtful of it use but it recently allowed me to extract all the recordings off my deceased Digihome PVR80 HD drive (using a IDE TO USB adapter). It turns the transport .ts files into mpg files.

These have been copied to a USB HD Drive attached to my FOXSAT HDR (running Raydon's upgrade) and I although I can't play them (the mpg files) on the foxsat they can be played on the FOX T2 over the network.
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    io1901 wrote: »
    "VideoRoDo to create a new MPEG file" refers to a programme called Videoredo. I was doubtful of it use but it recently allowed me to extract all the recordings off my deceased Digihome PVR80 HD drive (using a IDE TO USB adapter). It turns the transport .ts files into mpg files.

These have been copied to a USB HD Drive attached to my FOXSAT HDR (running Raydon's upgrade) and I although I can't play them (the mpg files) on the foxsat they can be played on the FOX T2 over the network.

Use AV2HDR on the files and they will play on the Foxsat-hdr as well. In addition to the transport stream file the Foxsat needs two small support files. AV2HDR creates these together with a matching .ts file.