Options

Where can I buy American Alien in the UK?

Kai ThompsonKai Thompson Posts: 3,032
Forum Member
✭✭✭
For those that don't know - it's a fresh new take on Superman written by Max Landis (Chronicle, American Ultra) and seeing as I love Max Landis and Superman I'm super excited to read it. But it appears it's not being distributed in the UK?

http://www.dccomics.com/comics/superman-american-alien-2015/superman-american-alien-1

Comments

• Options
    mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is available over here, I think issue 2 is still readily available, #1 sold out in most places, #3 is out in January.

Check eBay, Disposable Heroes, Forbidden Planet, Travelling Man, Comixology and your Friendly Neighbourhood Local Comic Shop...

https://forbiddenplanet.com/?q=american+alien

It's a limited series so another option is just to wait for the collected edition...

https://forbiddenplanet.com/?q=american+alien
  • Options
    StuBStuB Posts: 538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You should be able to get any good comic shop to hold a copy of each issue as it comes out - issues that have already come out may be harder to get hold of.

Its definitely available in UK comic shops as I have picked up issues 1 and 2 from Travelling Man in Manchester as part of my regular order after I asked them to hold copies for me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    StuB wrote: »
    ... issues that have already come out may be harder to get hold of...

Unless they do a reprint. It's always worth asking, basically.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I actually managed to but issue 1 and 2 on ebay. Super fast and free delivery 2 days before xmas. Just need to get issue 3 now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...Just need to get issue 3 now.

It's not out until the 13th.

I wonder if it'll keep getting bumped up in number - it was originally a 6-issue series but has already been bumped up to 7 and I'm sure I spotted that 8 is a possibility but can't find the link now...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trying to buy issue 4 now and seems to be sold out everywhere. Some American guy is selling it on ebay new and unused but the delivery price is more than the issue itself! Any safe places I can get issue 4 from new and unused?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, you've left that a few months too late seeing as it was out in February. If it got a reprint then most/all of those will be gone by now - hence the difficulty in getting hold of it... #5 seems to be in a similar situation. I'd recommend grabbing #6 ASAP if you're still adamant to stick with the comics OR just wait for the collected edition to come out in August - though you can pre-order it for about £13 quid.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mred2000 wrote: »
    Yeah, you've left that a few months too late seeing as it was out in February. If it got a reprint then most/all of those will be gone by now - hence the difficulty in getting hold of it... #5 seems to be in a similar situation. I'd recommend grabbing #6 ASAP if you're still adamant to stick with the comics OR just wait for the collected edition to come out in August - though you can pre-order it for about £13 quid.

Got it on ebay! One of the sellers had one copy left although he hadn't listed it on ebay (he initially tried to get me to buy it through his website site, eh, no thanks!) But as I noticed he had sold issues before i got in touch and he messaged me as soon as it was posted.

i actually tried to get issue 4 end of Feb/beginning of March and couldn't get it even then. I had no idea they sold out so quickly! Currently trying to get issue 5 as well now.

I've been trying to avoid the collected edition for this series simply because each issue plays as random little moments from Clark's life, not a cohesive origin that tells us why he becomes Superman and so I prefer to read it the way it's intended if that makes any sense.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's just 7 chapters of a book. Pretty much every series nowadays is organised as a trade/collection first and then serialised as comics. 5-7 issues equals a collection - it's why story arcs, even in ongoing series', are usually 5-7 issues long. So the way it was intended was as a collection :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just put down issue 5 (was really lucky to get it on ebay brand new and unused unlike issue 4).

Issue 5 is the weakest, I think. I get that it was supposed to be Clark establishing why he fights and what he stands for but it wasn't as fun as the other comics. Issue 3 is still the best.

Also, American Alien started out as snap shot of Clark's life but now seems to be becoming an arc that explains how he becomes Superman which I think is good.

Just ordered issue 6 and 7 so hope to see some improvement. Issue 7, from the cover, looks to be where he becomes The Superman so looking forward to that one the most.