Options

Memorable moments that you think are overrated

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,170
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think mine have been mentioned already.

George being the cat with Rula - they were asked to do a task, which they did. It's not like they just did that of their own accord.

Alex and "That's the way, ah ha ah ha, I like it" - The thing I don't get about this one is HMs are usually lambasted for playing up to the camera, yet Alex seems to get a free pass for one of the most blatant examples ever.

"Yeah Jackie" - I just don't find the least bit funny.
  • Options
    rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kathreya's eviction. Of course she shouldn't have taken on board all the stuff about how she was bound to win, and by being so unguarded she made rather an ass of herself. But I thought it was more distressing than hilarious watching her shaking and sobbing in front of the booing crowd.

And talking of evictions, people almost invariably seem to overstate Maxwell and Sezer's reactions to their names being called out, presumably because if they HAD reacted with shock and horror it would have been so much better. Maxwell pulled a disappointed face that lasted about two seconds and Sezer pulled a mildly shocked face that also lasted about two seconds. After that they behaved perfectly calmly. I think sometimes people spend so long saying "I can't wait to see so-and-so's face" that they can't bring themselves to admit that so-and-so's face didn't really do very much.

I am in agreeance a lot with much you say in the forums, but i have to disagree with you on this one. My argument is that Maxwell and Science was an eviction "face off." It was a head to head that Science thought he was not going to win. You could tell this by his blowing through the lips and puff of the cheeks. He was sincerely surprised that he he survived and it was arguably the only time in the house he was sincere.I personally loved seeing Maxwell gone however brief it was and I remember he just moved his head back with arms spread out across the sofa and gutted. That moment was more about Science's reaction than perhaps Maxwell's.

Sezar's moment was more comical because he was surprised through delusion. He was disappointed as was other HM's such as Imogen who did not know what to say to him. Therefore, I laughed more at that moment because he just sat there and if you read his mind you saw I have buggard this opportunity right up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You know, those bits they would repeat in best bits and clip-shows. Those moments that really got everyone's attention and got the fans all talking. Those moments that fans praised, fawned over or just generally never shut up about - but you think they're overrated, boring or just 'meh'.

The first one that springs to mind for me is BB3's Alex singing 'That's The Way (I Like It)' behind the door. Sure, it was all very well timed and a complete spur-of-the-moment thing to happen but everyone just banged on about it for ages as if he'd discovered a cure for cancer and decided to tell the world about it whilst buttoning up a silky shirt and miming to 70s disco!

Aisleyne and that 'know yourself little girl' comment to Nikki. Only made memorable by those who were insisting on a Nikki vs Aisleyne bitch fight - even though it was blindingly obvious to anyone with a brain cell that Aisleyne would wipe the floor with Nikki if she even had the urge to do so - yet she didn't! Flogging a dead horse sprang to mind.

Kenzie in the Humpty Dumpty outfit. Despite what some said at the time - he and Jeremy never made a great double act! :rolleyes: The only notable double act of CBB3 was John McCririck's breasts.

That was an overrated moment but the timing was good. I think it was overrated because it provided light relief amongst the arguments that were going on in the house. Also, the fact that Kate couldn't be bothered to look behind the door. You wouldn't have money her finding a person in a game of hide and seek.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think mine have been mentioned already.

George being the cat with Rula - they were asked to do a task, which they did. It's not like they just did that of their own accord.

Alex and "That's the way, ah ha ah ha, I like it" - The thing I don't get about this one is HMs are usually lambasted for playing up to the camera, yet Alex seems to get a free pass for one of the most blatant examples ever.

"Yeah Jackie" - I just don't find the least bit funny.

I disagree on both counts because the spontaneity and the timing respectively made those moments comical. Galloway's face reminded me of Jack Nicholson's in 'One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest' once he had the labotomy.

One overrated moment that I can think of is Brian Dowling with his 'You think it's TV but it's not.' Same as his half a head shaving business doing a two face character impression.' I am just not into that type of humor from a personal perspective.
  • Options
    boldjohnboldjohn Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alex Sibley standing behind a door. That classical moment has always baffled me..:confused:
  • Options
    DixonDixon Posts: 12,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Veri wrote: »

It's odd that you say she was one of the all-time greats when in a recent thread you say:

I don't think it's odd or conradictory.
    I just find difficult to place Ash in another house and imagine wether she would have done better or worse. As i said, i think she was one of those who were absolutely perfect for the series they were in. The same with Alex who i also rate as one of the alltime greats.
  • Options
    DixonDixon Posts: 12,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think charisma or personality had anything to do with it. There was a stir outside the house only because people were so caught up in disliking the "plastics" and Ash seemed to be opposed to them in some way (for instance her comment about bullying to Sezer), and inside the house only because of existing tensions and some bitchy or provoking behaviour and comments from Ash.

The stir was due to circumstances more than to anything especially interesting about Aislyene.

The stir inside the house was down to the way Ash entered the house and instantly gave off negative vibes towards Imogen, Lisa and Grace. Within minutes the gilrs who asking WTF does she think she is? Ash rubbed people up the wrong way from the moment she entered the house.

Also, she went into a series that was doing fine without her. A house with enough characters and one that did not need her. However, from the moment she entered she made it even better. Only a true great could do something like that!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't find the Brian chili pepper UBB thing the least bit amusing, yet Davina calls it the funniest moment in BB history.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rfonzo wrote: »
    I disagree on both counts because the spontaneity and the timing respectively made those moments comical. <snip>

One overrated moment that I can think of is Brian Dowling with his 'You think it's TV but it's not.' Same as his half a head shaving business doing a two face character impression.' I am just not into that type of humor from a personal perspective.

Strange, I find the moments listed in your second paragraph to be very funny because of the reasons given in your first.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That's very fair, and to be honest I have always been a bit uneasy about the intensity of the horror over that scene. I think a lot of it was to do with a tubby, middle aged, hairy man playing sexy as part of a task; if Mark Owen had snuggled purring into Melinda Messenger's lap, for example, I don't think anyone would have batted an eyelid.
  • Options
    Black DaggerBlack Dagger Posts: 15,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am going to get roasted here but I believe FIGHT NIGHT was very overrated...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am going to get roasted here but I believe FIGHT NIGHT was very overrated...

Well it is overrated from the perspective that no one actually threw a punch. It was just series of raised voices.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well it is overrated from the perspective that no one actually threw a punch. It was just series of raised voices.

Not according to Victor in "The Slick Man Cometh" thread.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not according to Victor in "The Slick Man Cometh" thread.

Why, did he say there were punches thrown then.
  • Options
    VeriVeri Posts: 96,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why, did he say there were punches thrown then.

At least one. By Nadia. And it landed too.

Also some other things, ... and even before Victor's posts we knew there were objects thrown and I think spitting as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fight night was a huge disturbance in BB5. Everything was before fight night or after fight night. It is hard to think of anything comparable until CBB5 and the Oxo row that changed everything.
  • Options
    ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    At least one. By Nadia. And it landed too.

Also some other things, ... and even before Victor's posts we knew there were objects thrown and I think spitting as well.

We didn't need Victor to tell us that. Nadia was shown the following day, apologising to Jason for slapping him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think that Josie's chimpanzee reference was overrated. I think it was a moment that synonymous with the series it featured in- a plain token gesture. People come up with much funnier or bizarre utterances in my everyday life and it was just so tenuous that sounded forced. When the series finished and we saw the concluding montage at the end with the most popular quotes (so the producers thought) it was the concluding phrase by a HM and it seemed out of place in comparison to what was featured before. It was important in context of its series but not over a historical look back over the whole show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Selena wrote: »
    I never understood why Belo not knowing Shakespeare was considered funny.

That was an example of a man acting like a complete t**t.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Liam and his wings...

Anything to do with Liam was pointless.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Selena wrote: »
    They had his old English teacher on BBLB and she confirmed that he did study Shakespeare. ;)

Of course he studied it , it is compulsory on the syllabus whether you take it as coursework or in the exam. Brian Belo encapsulates the argument for people who are snobs about the program to continue criticizing it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course he studied it , it is compulsory on the syllabus whether you take it as coursework or in the exam. Brian Belo encapsulates the argument for people who are snobs about the program to continue criticizing it.

I have mixed feelings about the Brian/ Who's this Shakespeare geezer? conversation. On the one hand you are right, it gave ammunition to people who like to think BB is a bunch of morons. On the other hand there was a certain chutzpah in this bright, shrewd young man inventing his persona for the programme and playing up to it. I have Brian days and anti-Brian days.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ABCZYX wrote: »
    I agree with this. And also on the same series when Big Brother shouted "Boo!" to Vanessa to make her jump. I felt both of these were Big Brother trying way too hard to be funny. From BB7 onwards, the humour has seemed far more natural.

That was highly overrated and when you look back it did not make any sense.
  • Options
    MesostimMesostim Posts: 52,864
    Forum Member
    That's very fair, and to be honest I have always been a bit uneasy about the intensity of the horror over that scene. I think a lot of it was to do with a tubby, middle aged, hairy man playing sexy as part of a task; if Mark Owen had snuggled purring into Melinda Messenger's lap, for example, I don't think anyone would have batted an eyelid.

I think it's more from the people who don;t like the blokes politics wanting to rehash it over and over again.. like the infatigable misquote.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The thing is, if we continue to post moments that we believe to be overrated and end up accepting each others opinions, we will all wonder to ourselves why we all watched the program for so long.