Bioshock Infinite

Comments

• GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just finished it today, great game i really did love it even more than the original two.
    It was good to see Rapture again at the end!

If anything the fighting got in the way of the story, that would be my only critique.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ENDING SPOILERS

Something that had me wondering, and still does, is where was / what happened to the other Elizabeth? "Our" Booker and "our" Elizabeth spent time in three separate realities when in Columbia (four if you count the future reality too). The first was the first. The second was the one where the Chinese gunsmith was alive. The third was the one where the tools were not in the impound and the Vox were in full-on open rebellion, the one the last 1/3 (?) of the game took place in before the very end. In that third reality, there was a version of Booker who had failed to meet Elizabeth and had joined the Vox and died as a martyr... so where was his Elizabeth for that last section of the game? Where was "Reality 3's" own Elizabeth when "our" Elizabeth was in "Reality 3" and being kidnapped and indoctrinated leading to "Old Elizabeth"?
    The BioShock Wikia says that Robert is from the same reality as Booker. That doesn't make any sense. The branch point for the Booker/Comstock realities was the baptism... which occurred after Robert/Rosalind had been born, so you couldn't have had Robert in the "Booker reality" and Rosalind in the "Comstock reality".
    Would the Luteces still exist "outside of time and space" (or whatever it was) once the realities were reset at the end, or would it have wiped all that had happened to them too?

And something I saw mentioned elsewhere that made me go "Whoah!"...
    At the end, Booker operates a bathysphere in Rapture... Yet they were only supposed to be operated by Ryan or someone in the same "genetic ballpark" as him. So is Booker/Comstock a version of Jack/Ryan? After all, Columbia is similar to Rapture, Elizabeth is in some ways like a Little Sister, Songbird is inspired by the Big Daddies, vigors are like plasmids, etc., and Elizabeth did say the same story was always played out in many ways across infinite realities and that there was always a lighthouse... Or maybe Infinite could be a prequel to the first game, with Anna/Elizabeth being Ryan's mother?...

Also:
    I saw mention that none of the Elizabeths who drown Booker were wearing the necklace...Can't remember myself, but if true then where was "our" Elizabeth at the end? Also, actually, that makes me wonder... did the Elizabeth you rescue from the operating theatre have the correct necklace on?

stoatie wrote: »
    She got her powers
    because she was kind of "existing in two different universes" by having her finger caught in the tear, I think.

Yeah, I found something saying that on the BioShock wikipedia. It was mentioned in a Voxophone I collected but didn't really "take in".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gormond wrote: »
    If anything the fighting got in the way of the story, that would be my only critique.

Same here.

I *will* re-play it... but 1999 mode can sod off! :D I have no interest in playing it on ultra-hard, I played for the story and characters.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm going to have to finish this!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok, i've finished it. Bloody hell that was a great ending! The last battle took a while mind.

2.5 hours since my when i launched the game to finish it! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ok, i've finished it. Bloody hell that was a great ending! The last battle took a while mind.

2.5 hours since my when i launched the game to finish it! :D

Yeah it seemed to last forever but on normal it was pretty easy lol.

The ending was great, easily one of my favourite.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That battle really annoyed me at first.
    Those damn Patriot pairs blasting the core, while I was trying to focus on zeppelins. I found a hint online though that said to use Undertow on them... made it much better!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »
    That battle really annoyed me at first.
    Those damn Patriot pairs blasting the core, while I was trying to focus on zeppelins. I found a hint online though that said to use Undertow on them... made it much better!

I dont think i used that once after i first got it!
    I found the crows the best tactic against the human enemies, the patriots i just fire bombed and rocketed.

My main tip would be though dont worry about dieing because you'll respawn, but if that coil dies its start all over again!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dont think i used that once after i first got it!
    I found the crows the best tactic against the human enemies, the patriots i just fire bombed and rocketed.

My main tip would be though dont worry about dieing because you'll respawn, but if that coil dies its start all over again!
    Yeah I just kept them stunned with shock and shot them in the face with what ever gun was handy, seemed to work fine as I did it first go with no deaths although Elizabeth was bloody handy at throwing me ammo, health packs and salts.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 270
    Forum Member
    I just brought the game today. I've played the first hour and a half, so far it's amazing. I have only got into the action, plus when it happens then stops, it give you time to relax and explore the world. There are so much to see.
  • OMTTOMTT Posts: 5,459
    Forum Member
    Think I'm getting to the end now
    Elizabeth is strapped to machines and I need to switch them off

The storyline is excellent but I'm finding the combat pretty boring. Don't think I'll play through it again upon completion
  • Alt-F4Alt-F4 Posts: 10,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just finished the mother ghost tomb bit and I'm starting to get bored of it to be honest. THe ending better be worth it
  • Ash_735Ash_735 Posts: 8,493
    Forum Member
    There's just one thing that really annoyed me about this game, and it's a stupid small reason, but:
    - Return of the Jedi (Revenge of the Jedi as it was going to be called) was 1983
    - "Everybody Wants to Rule the World" by Tears For Fears was 1985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ash_735 wrote: »
    There's just one thing that really annoyed me about this game, and it's a stupid small reason, but:
    - Return of the Jedi (Revenge of the Jedi as it was going to be called) was 1983
    - "Everybody Wants to Rule the World" by Tears For Fears was 1985

So?

What's the problem?
    It's made quite clear that the tears are not just to different realities but also different time periods.

Fink uses them to acquire technology that is ahead of the time.

Fink's brother uses them to rip-off music from the future, hence e.g. hearing "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" played as organ music on the boardwalk in 1912 Columbia, or hearing a 1912 Columbia version of "Tainted Love" being played in a bar, or hearing songs originally by the Beach Boys or Tears For Fears or various other artists...
    Forum Member
    So?

What's the problem?
    It's made quite clear that the tears are not just to different realities but also different time periods.

Fink uses them to acquire technology that is ahead of the time.

Fink's brother uses them to rip-off music from the future, hence e.g. hearing "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" played as organ music on the boardwalk in 1912 Columbia, or hearing a 1912 Columbia version of "Tainted Love" being played in a bar, or hearing songs originally by the Beach Boys or Tears For Fears or various other artists...

It's not even that! It's even smaller!
    They're both shown in the time rip that Elizabeth shows to Booker. Why would a cinema be premiering Revenge of the Jedi in 1985? I get that it's suppose to be a slight alt on reality, but for everything else they nailed, it seems quite odd to have these two future flashes that are actually two years apart in real life

Apart from that I think it's amazing. :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah, I see - didn't realise both were in the same one.
    Still, why shouldn't an alternate reality have "Revenge" in 1985 instead of "Return" in 1983?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Or actually...
    Checking Wikipedia, it seems that RotJ was actually re-released theatrically in 1985.
    Forum Member
    Or actually...
    Checking Wikipedia, it seems that RotJ was actually re-released theatrically in 1985.

Really, I did not know that, in that case really dug in with the small references. :p
  • OMTTOMTT Posts: 5,459
    Forum Member
    Just completed it this evening, what an amazing ending! Never experienced anything like it. It's so clever & with so many different things going on. It's worth going through the boring battles to see:cool:

Now I can read spoilers & see what everyone's interpretations/theories are

"God only knows what I'd be without you..."
  • Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    It is a great game, but the more i think about, it failed to match Bioshock 1 in several areas. The world wasn't nearly as cohesive, the characters weren't quite as interesting and the weapons were a bit bland.

It obviously did beat it in many other areas though....
  • tombigbeetombigbee Posts: 4,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree that it's a great game that leaves a lasting impact but the combat is as mediocre as it was in the first Bioshock. It feels quite clunky compared to COD.

I watched a video on IGN where they were discussing the idea that the games were made into shooters just to appeal to a mass market. I would happily play through the story and exploration elements on their own. Games like The Walking Dead show that you don't necessarily need to pander to the masses when you deliver a story.
  • Alt-F4Alt-F4 Posts: 10,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The game remains original and there is plenty of meat on that storyline, but it wasn't as good as bioshock 1. I hated that the ending interaction was pretty much opening a few doors. Nothing can beat dressing up as the big daddy, the whole "would you kindly" and beating that guy with a golf club
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 142
    Forum Member
    brilliant game,shame weapons dont alter with each upgrade. and the girl is best a.i,in any game i think!
  • ScrubberScrubber Posts: 4,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't really enjoy the game as much as i was hoping and i don't see how the ending was so great. I did quite like it at first but it seemed to get a bit repetitive and the combat is a hindrance.

Just unlocked 1999 mode, haven't a clue what it is but i'm gonna start on that soon.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1999 mode is basically "super-hard mode".
    Reduced player respawn points
    Reduced ammo
    Enemies inflict greater damage
    Player has reduced and faster-depleting health
    Respawn cost increases to $100, and the player will be sent back to the main menu if they don't have enough money.
    Navigation Arrow is removed completely.
    Inability to change difficulty during play