Options

World Cup 2014- The Official Thread!!

Comments

• Options
    Paul_CrawfordPaul_Crawford Posts: 5,860
    Forum Member
    DragonQ wrote: »
    Radio commentary is clearly nothing like TV commentary. Using radio commentary on TV would be like listening to foreign commentators who don't know that it's OK to say nothing sometimes. I know some people listen to 5 Live whilst watching TV but most people probably wouldn't like it. You don't need every pass described in detail.

I have also noticed when having 5live commentary on BBC TV matches, 5live commentators do not describe what I can see, so x player has just passed to y player, and y player shoots and scores!! the 5live commentary will be Alan Green talking about the humidity or something, and then he will only start describing the action, when y player is just about to shoot!
  • Options
    sparkie70sparkie70 Posts: 3,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DragonQ wrote: »
    Radio commentary is clearly nothing like TV commentary. Using radio commentary on TV would be like listening to foreign commentators who don't know that it's OK to say nothing sometimes. I know some people listen to 5 Live whilst watching TV but most people probably wouldn't like it. You don't need every pass described in detail.

Radio is different to TV. In radio you have to keep speeking to tell the listeners what is happening whilst on tv you don't.
    I remember when ITV had the football league on a regional match. LWT would have a commentator whilst Tyne Tees had another for the same match.
  • Options
    AkilduffAkilduff Posts: 4,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark_spy wrote: »
    BBC v ITV: Ranking the World Cup presenters, pundits and commentators

Telegraph's Dream Team

Presenter: Gary Lineker
    Pundits: Tim Vickery, Thierry Henry, Lee Dixon, Glenn Hoddle
    Commentator: Clive Tyldesley
    Co-commentator: Andy Townsend

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup/10905477/BBC-v-ITV-Ranking-the-World-Cup-presenters-pundits-and-commentators.html

Seriously?
  • Options
    JonpollakJonpollak Posts: 2,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good Luck to you lot tonight.
    I fancy Chile to dish a whoopin' on their opponent in the round of 16.

They've got Heart..and as Ray Walston said:...
    Ya gotta have heart, miles and miles and miles of heart
    Jp
  • Options
    BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Yay Hansen.
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Danny Murphy is only 37 he looks so much older, he is starting to morph into Inspector Jack Frost.
  • Options
    RIPYorkshireTVRIPYorkshireTV Posts: 361
    Forum Member
    Can you imagine if BBC put Pearce and Lawrenson on the same game together!
  • Options
    SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    World Cup ratings war after Day 7 - average shares so far:

BBC - 39pct [36pct excluding England]
    Itv - 30pct

BBC maintaining their 9 point lead over Itv in the World Cup ratings war, confirming that for the first week of the tournament it has been the Beeb who has chosen the better matches, as well as the fact Itv weekly reach crisis means more limited figures for the commercial brodacasters. An estimated share of 60pct for Itv tonight would still mean the BBC winning by about 6 points after tonights ratings by the way.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It had all gone so swimmingly for the newest member of the James Cannon breakfast show on BBC Surrey - until Wednesday's World Cup match between Spain and Chile.

Socrates the psychic fish had a perfect record of predicting the winners of World Cup matches, but slipped up after predicting Spain would emerge triumphant in its clash on Wednesday. Instead, Chile beat the champions 2-0.

According to Socrates' official Twitter account, he's 'woken up feeling more deflated than a puffer fish with a puncture'.

Breakfast producer Matt Graveling is willing to give the fish the benefit of the doubt before scaling back his duties. 'I don't think the world was expecting that [result],' he tells Ariel.

Socrates has another chance to redeem his reputation with Thursday's match between England and Uruguay.

To the relief of his producer, the goldfish has predicted the home side will win, meaning that Graveling will not have divided loyalties.

'Gutted' England fan

The 1-1 draw proved controversial until the video was played back It was a different story when the fish predicted England would lose against Italy, he explains. 'As a producer, I had this strange situation watching the Italy game where Italy scored and I was, like, gutted as an England fan but there was a little piece of me that thought, oh, at least the fish was right.'

The fish makes his predictions by swimming towards a flag, where food has been strategically placed.

A draw is called when the fish swims between the two flags, as he did for Russia's match against South Korea, which provoked some controversy.

The whole process is captured on video at 7.50am weekdays and put up on Facebook.

Soaring popularity

Socrates has been the star of Surrey's breakfast show - which is just over a year old - since the World Cup started. Currently, he's the most popular feature the show has ever done, with a record number of tweets, calls, emails and texts.

Graveling thinks it has engaged people because of the fish's record of getting results and his on-air persona, complemented by his Twitter account. He currently has about 75 followers happy to think up fish puns.

After his first mistake on Wednesday, one fan tweeted: 'Keep your fin up! You've been great. Plenty of time to have a 'pond-er' over your next prediction.'

The producer is keen to stress that Socrates' success has been a team effort, although the goldfish was originally his idea. The tank was bought with staff money and they even consulted a vet about the studio's conditions.

Codswallop?
    When the tournament wraps up, Socrates will have a new home with breakfast show presenter Cannon and his three young boys.

BBC News web site
  • Options
    TheWireRulesTheWireRules Posts: 1,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Share a thought for Sky Sports/News. They are like a child who hasn't been invited to a party. They are trying to put a very negative spin on the WC banging on about the Chile fans incident yesterday, talking about a huge police presence at tonight's game (which is not huge just normal) banging on about how corrupt FIFA are, talking about racist/homophobic fan incidents!

So amateurish and bitter.

Cheer up SSN, at least you'll be able to show us some photos of the action after the match tonight :D HAHA
  • Options
    Paul_CrawfordPaul_Crawford Posts: 5,860
    Forum Member
    Anyone getting fed up with the jingoistic nonsense being spouted by Clive Tylsley?
  • Options
    Jason CJason C Posts: 31,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone getting fed up with the jingoistic nonsense being spouted by Clive Tylsley?

Yes.

He and Townsend have just ignored a blatant dive by Sterling and I couldn't help noticing Tyldesley prefacing a foul by Baines with the comment "his feet weren't too far away from the ball". :mad:

I think it's fair enough for them to be positive towards England but I think it crosses the line when it leads to them painting an inaccurate picture of what's happening on the field.
  • Options
    RIPYorkshireTVRIPYorkshireTV Posts: 361
    Forum Member
    ITV player is a full 2 minutes ahead of ITV HD - how and why is that possible?
  • Options
    sat-iresat-ire Posts: 4,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Are you sure? RTÉ Two and ITV are about 4 seconds apart.
  • Options
    mromegamromega Posts: 6,569
    Forum Member

Not likely, since people in the ground were tweeting the Rooney goal at roughly the same time it was shown on ITV HD (within seconds)

Unless ITV Player has slipped through a wormhole I would suggest you may have live paused ITV HD.
  • Options
    Rambler80Rambler80 Posts: 367
    Forum Member
    Adrian will be talking about the English diving won't he?
  • Options
    Rambler80Rambler80 Posts: 367
    Forum Member
    "we'll cut off pictures of Suarez celebrating now for our own goods" Commercial break.

Stay classy.
  • Options
    ReadingfanReadingfan Posts: 10,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If Costa Rica win tomorrow maybe ITV will put Italy v Uruguay on the main channel! :-P
  • Options
    AdsAds Posts: 37,060
    Forum Member
    ITV really missing Roy Keane after that England horror show!
  • Options
    pakokelso93pakokelso93 Posts: 11,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Readingfan wrote: »
    If Costa Rica win tomorrow maybe ITV will put Italy v Uruguay on the main channel! :-P

No...
  • Options
    ReadingfanReadingfan Posts: 10,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No...

Evidently I wasn't being serious...
  • Options
    Jason CJason C Posts: 31,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ads wrote: »
    ITV really missing Roy Keane after that England horror show!

Indeed, particularly because he wouldn't have gone along with the sympathetic "oh England were unlucky, they were just beaten by the world's best striker" line the ITV panel have peddled furiously on the defeat and would have actually apportioned the criticism that it also deserved.
  • Options
    seagull_Markseagull_Mark Posts: 3,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was disappointed itv didn't mention anything post match about the system change to move Sterling, outstanding in the first match, wide to accommodate the out of sorts Rooney central; his so-called favoured position, It's what the pundits were calling for but England lacked the attacking force shown against Italy. No mention of why that impacted negatively.

Hoping the BBC will do so now in their build up, which will probably be 15 mintes about England and 8 on the Japan v Greece game.
  • Options
    djonshoredjonshore Posts: 4,759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just saw BBC's opening titles and it looks like they have 2 opening titles as Gerrard was not smiling.
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    Can you imagine if BBC put Pearce and Lawrenson on the same game together!

They did so on Tuesday for Brazil v Mexico.