St Albans - 3 hours to kill, what to do?

2»

Comments

• grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,685
    Forum Member
    Justabloke wrote: »
    Here's a little tidbit of local info for you.... in the evenings the Maccy D on the high street has bouncers.

It's not a McD's anymore ;) Do you mean the Waterend Barn (Wetherspoons), or the place where McD's "used" to be? :)
  • bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ok...so for those that know St Albans...do you reckon I can do this is approx 2 and a half hours? (i'm doing this by looking at google earth but it's not quite the same as doing it in 'real time'.

Park in the Verulamun Park car park, grab quick waffle at the Waffle House (won't stay long, just get a bit of sugar down me!) see the mosaic in the building in the middle of the park, go to the cathederal and have a quick look around (just 15 minutes), make my way to the Italian coffee shop in the High St for quick expresso, get back to the car in the park car park. Or is that cutting it a bit fine?

You will be busy, but I think it's doable. Probably couple of miles walking in total (40 minutes), not including any diversion to the Waffle House as I don't know where that is.
  • GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    It's not a McD's anymore ;) Do you mean the Waterend Barn (Wetherspoons), or the place where McD's "used" to be? :)

Where McDonalds used to be is either empty or a pound shop, I think!

I do have genuine local random knowledge: the Subway on the high street stops serving hot food after 11pm. Cold subways are not to be recommended.
  • ValeronValeron Posts: 102
    Forum Member
    Where McDonalds used to be is either empty or a pound shop, I think!

It closed years ago and was demolished earlier this year. A hotel is now being built on the site and opens alter this year. The pound shop is. Few doors down from where it is.

I would do the Abbey, walk down to the park, walk around the lake and see the Herons nesting, see the Roman bath and have a pint in the fighting cocks
  • RichardReesRichardRees Posts: 2,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bart4858 wrote: »
    You can visit Tesco in St Peters Street (the main shopping street). That was the first self-service Tesco in the country.
    Except it moved, so is no longer the same shop (it moved into the old Woolworths after they went bust).
  • ValeronValeron Posts: 102
    Forum Member
    Except it moved, so is no longer the same shop (it moved into the old Woolworths after they went bust).

And the old Teacp is now one of the pound type shops
  • thaliafanthaliafan Posts: 704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yourself?

Sorry couldn't resist :)

The Cathedral is just wonderful and it has great gardens.

And check out the Beehive. My favourite pub in England!