Options

If Scotland goes who next, Wales, Northern Ireland, Cornwall, the Isle of Wight?

13»

Comments

• Options
    Dub2Dub2 Posts: 2,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thomas007 wrote: »
    It doesn't have to be .

It was to designed to be a sectarian state, ruled by protestants.

There is no escaping that.

Its very existence is an insult to democracy.
  • Options
    Cheetah666Cheetah666 Posts: 16,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, I just can see past my fellow catholics ignorance who seem to worship you southerners.

No, sure just a few weeks ago I was calling the orangemen all the names under the sun (to myself) when they had blocked off the roads in derry

Your fellow Catholics don't worship southerners, they just don't hate us.

Anyway, I think maybe the most sensible solution for NI would be joint authority.
  • Options
    Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dub2 wrote: »
    It was to designed to be a sectarian state, ruled by protestants.

There is no escaping that.

Its very existence is an insult to democracy.

It may well have originally been designed to be but things can (and do) change.

America was essentially founded upon slavery, its the melting pot of the world now.
  • Options
    highking1014highking1014 Posts: 1,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheetah666 wrote: »
    Your fellow Catholics don't worship southerners, they just don't hate us.

Anyway, I think maybe the most sensible solution for NI would be joint authority.

we don't like you either, we just tolerate you, the whole state has a vibe about it as if to say "you ulstermen used to be high kings, look at you know haha" or maybe i just think too much i dont know
  • Options
    Dub2Dub2 Posts: 2,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, I just can see past my fellow catholics ignorance who seem to worship you southerners.

They are fellow Irish citizens, there is no worship involved.

We Irish just happen to share the same cultural interests. Our music, sports, and literature bind us together in a way that an orange man would never understand.

You are very welcome to join us though. I would have thought any immigrant grouping would wish to integrate into local culture after four hundred years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thomas007 wrote: »
    It may well have originally been designed to be but things can (and do) change.

America was essentially founded upon slavery, its the melting pot of the world now.

and Dublin and Cork were originally founded for the Vikings
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are fellow Irish citizens, there is no worship involved.

We Irish just happen to share the same cultural interests. Our music, sports, and literature bind us together in a way that an orange man would never understand.

You are very welcome to join us though. I would have thought any immigrant grouping would wish to integrate into local culture after four hundred years.

yes but i am not orange as i am not of plantation stock nor a protestant
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    we don't like you either, we just tolerate you, the whole state has a vibe about it as if to say "you ulstermen used to be high kings, look at you know haha" or maybe i just think too much i dont know

In your last post you accused your fellow Catholics of worshipping southerners, now suddenly its "we don't like you either". Make your mind up.

And what's with the "either"? I never said we didn't like Northerners, I said your fellow Catholics don't worship us.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In your last post you accused your fellow Catholics of worshipping southerners, now suddenly its "we don't like you either". Make your mind up.

And what's with the "either"? I never said we didn't like Northerners, I said your fellow Catholics don't worship us.

By "either" I was replying to your comment about us not hating you, e.g. we don't hate you or love you, just middle ground and having no trust of you.

Yes you are right I did contradict myself a bit, many fools here think that everything is all perfect, "Northmen southmen comrades all" and all that absolute drivel but the odd person with sense sees things differently
    It's the same with the Ulster Scots fools thinking that Scotland supports their loyalism "hands across the water" those fools call it

Joseph Brolly sums it up perfectly for me in this article.

http://www.derryjournal.com/news/columnists/brolly-s-bites-north-men-south-men-comrades-all-my-arse-1-3674549

My favourite part was the Limerick bloke (pure Viking country) telling the Ulster gaels to go back up to Britain haha
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    By "either" I was replying to your comment about us not hating you, e.g. we don't hate you or love you, just middle ground and having no trust of you.

Yes you are right I did contradict myself a bit, many fools here think that everything is all perfect, "Northmen southmen comrades all" and all that absolute drivel but the odd person with sense sees things differently
    It's the same with the Ulster Scots fools thinking that Scotland supports their loyalism "hands across the water" those fools call it

Joseph Brolly sums it up perfectly for me in this article.

http://www.derryjournal.com/news/columnists/brolly-s-bites-north-men-south-men-comrades-all-my-arse-1-3674549

My favourite part was the Limerick bloke (pure Viking country) telling the Ulster gaels to go back up to Britain haha

You get that kind of abuse all the time between GAA teams, its ugly and the GAA needs to get their act together and stop tolerating it, but its not North vs. South. It happens between southern teams too, and look at the recent punch up between Armagh and Monaghon, and that was two Ulster teams.
  • Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Rodney wrote: »
    Could we not get England to **** off and leave the rest of us in peace. Scotland could stay and we could invite some of our close cousins and form a sort of pan-Celtic/Norse front. Anyone up for the challenge?
    LOL 'peace' ??

The arguing that's going on between some of you guys in this thread suggests it won't happen.
  • Options
    Black HughBlack Hugh Posts: 1,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    that is the problem, many catholics don't know much about Irish history pre the 1800's, they need to realise that Ulster was ruled as a separate kingdom during ancient times, yes it was a very 'Irish' cultural historical place but it was still different from the west, east and south, not genetically but culturally.
    This is why I would choose an independent N.Ireland over joining people who never have given two hoots about us, our fathers, our grandfathers or our great-grandfathers.

You say the North was Irish culturally yet then say it was different culturally. How was it different?

Pointing to a short lived medieval kingdom is not evidence of being different. Ireland was never politically united during this time but what those on the island shared was a language, law system and culture.
  • Options
    gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    I want the Shetlanders to go independent

the look on that toad salmonds face would be a picture

how you gonna pay for your scots paradise now?
  • Options
    Phil OwensPhil Owens Posts: 6,989
    Forum Member
    Wales could never go it alone, what assets do we have for an income to fund revenue ?

The only thing I can think of is the water we supply to Liverpool and other places, we could sell it £10 a Ltr... :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You get that kind of abuse all the time between GAA teams, its ugly and the GAA needs to get their act together and stop tolerating it, but its not North vs. South. It happens between southern teams too, and look at the recent punch up between Armagh and Monaghon, and that was two Ulster teams.

yes but Monaghan are in the republic, some young fellow was saying after the Tyrone game last year "SInce when did the north speak Irish?" that kind of thing irritates me to no end as we do not need the Republic of Irelands permission to speak a language that our ancestors spoke for centuries (in the lands of modern N.Ireland)
    What's humorous is that Monaghan actually have a N.Ireland manager
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Black Hugh wrote: »
    You say the North was Irish culturally yet then say it was different culturally. How was it different?

Pointing to a short lived medieval kingdom is not evidence of being different. Ireland was never politically united during this time but what those on the island shared was a language, law system and culture.

Just listen to our brogues, we are the most Gaelic on the island definitely but a lot of that Gaelic ancestry also came from Scotland (scottish mercenary clans), we probably have as much in common with someone from the Scottish islands than someone from south Kerry.
    I am not using that to support the union with Britain though.

It wasn't completely different as the clans had cousins down south, e.g. o'neills who split and moved south. However, there was a lot of mixing with people like the Vikings down south which had a bit of an influence on the way they spoke and what not.

To be fair my great grandmother was form the west so I may be going a bit far with the free stater sleging.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just listen to our brogues, we are the most Gaelic on the island definitely but a lot of that Gaelic ancestry also came from Scotland (scottish mercenary clans), we probably have as much in common with someone from the Scottish islands than someone from south Kerry.
    I am not using that to support the union with Britain though.

It wasn't completely different as the clans had cousins down south, e.g. o'neills who split and moved south. However, there was a lot of mixing with people like the Vikings down south which had a bit of an influence on the way they spoke and what not.

To be fair my great grandmother was form the west so I may be going a bit far with the free stater sleging.

There is no evidence that Irish from the North were different from those in the South. Not one piece of archaeological evidence supports that notion that I'm aware of. If there was I'm sure we would have heard of it.

To be honest, pointing out that people in different area speak with regional accents is not quite the research based evidence I had hoped for:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is no evidence that Irish from the North were different from those in the South. Not one piece of archaeological evidence supports that notion that I'm aware of. If there was I'm sure we would have heard of it.

There is evidence so support that there was small differences in the way they did things, e.g. the O'kanes would throw a shoe over the o'neill kings head during the inauguration, you wouldn't have got that everywhere.
    That's only one example of the top of my head.
    There was also differences in warfare tactics.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is evidence so support that there was small differences in the way they did things, e.g. the O'kanes would throw a shoe over the o'neill kings head during the inauguration, you wouldn't have got that everywhere.
    That's only one example of the top of my head.
    There was also differences in warfare tactics.

Gaelic Ireland covered a long period of time.

Subtle clan differences are not evidence of different cultures. Gaelic rulers, such as the O'Neills, were traditionally inaugurated in open air ceremonies common to North and South for example.

By warfare I take it you mean gallowglasses, a rather late development in Gaelic Ireland. Warfare like the arts, language, law were the same North and South pre Viking and Norman eras.
  • Options
    kerrminatorkerrminator Posts: 618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I want the Shetlanders to go independent

the look on that toad salmonds face would be a picture

how you gonna pay for your scots paradise now?

Apparently thats is a small amount of whats in the future of Scottish Oil. There is more on the west coast than ever has been on the east according to many sources
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gaelic Ireland covered a long period of time.

Subtle clan differences are not evidence of different cultures. Gaelic rulers were traditionally inaugurated in open air ceremonies common to North and South for example.

By warfare I take it you mean gallowglasses, a rather late development in Gaelic Ireland. Warfare like the arts, language, law were the same North and South

No I was referring to how the Ulstermen were known for fighting in forests against the Norse and camouflaging themselves, some had the nickname "Croabh"
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Independence for London please! I'm sick of subsidising the rest of Britain!

:-)

The capital of waiters, Cleaners & Dossers subsidising the rest of us?, your having a laugh>:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No I was referring to how the Ulstermen were known for fighting in forests against the Norse and camouflaging themselves, some had the nickname "Croabh"

Gaelic Irish using the terrain to combat the Normans was hardly unique to the North of the island. Forests, rivers and bogs were all utilised.
  • Options
    rhodrhod Posts: 3,995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about Independence for Bromley, Greenwich, Lewisham, Southwark, Woolwich? How about outer London breaking away from inner London, where does it end. Will my local council ward get independence?

I think Pimlico should have a crack at independence. What could possibly go wrong?
  • Options
    darakinssdarakinss Posts: 1,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NI is a sectarian state. It was born of sectarianism, it was designed to be sectarian.

How the hell can you complain about it being sectarian?

It is either in the UK or in Ireland. It simply cannot exist outside those two entities.

Where are you from? It does not have to be that way just because it was formed that way 100 years ago. The silent majority of us don't want to be and aren't sectarian. To infer that we're incapable of moving on and shaking off that is an insult to everyone who lives here. Yes, it might take a lonnnng time, but dinosaurs can't live forever.