Options

Count Arthur Strong TV sitcom?

Comments

• Options
    racey43racey43 Posts: 224
    Forum Member
    I think Rory Kinnear is a fine, versatile actor. However, he can only portray the parts as they are written whether by Shakespeare or Steve Delaney and Graham Linehan.
  • Options
    alias99alias99 Posts: 26
    Forum Member
    Arthur's normal sidekick on the tours is Terry Titter (Terry Kilkelly) and I think he is also on this tour so no Michael / Rory Kinnear.
  • Options
    Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if Steve Delaney is a fan of the great Jaques Tati, whose character Mr Hulot would do most of his funny stuff in the background, almost incidental to the main action? There would be (say) a pretty lady in conversation with a child and over her shoulder we would see Mr Hulot getting his pipe caught in a gate or his shoes embedded in newly-laid tarmac.
    Things like this can be much funnier than the 'straight on' approach, especially if the viewer is given the opportunity to see it coming and go 'oh no...'.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've seen more wobbly " statues " than Arthur.

Wow, you want a quid just for staying still for 5 minutes ?
    F**k off and get a job.
  • Options
    VetinariVetinari Posts: 3,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    racey43 wrote: »
    I think Rory Kinnear is a fine, versatile actor. However, he can only portray the parts as they are written whether by Shakespeare or Steve Delaney and Graham Linehan.

Agreed.

In the first series his character made a major contribution but in this series they have just, for the most part, made him look rather pathetic and ridiculous.

A stupid waste, really.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Michael gets worse by the week. Really, it's so obvious, so overacted and so overdone. I just don't care about him, and I resent that he is taking up screen time that should be given to one of the greatest British comic creations of our time. Bulent's description of Michael as boring made Mrs Chuff and I raise our eyebrows, and I wondered if that was a bit of breaking of the fourth wall. Was Bulent talking directly to the audience in that sequence?
    Hardly a revelation. A sub plot of the episode was that he was boring and made something up to make him sound relatively interesting.

He's the boring straight man to Clown Count.
    To be honest, he could play it more straight as some of the scenes/acting is OTT.
  • Options
    IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last night's episode wasn't the best. One more left in this series.
  • Options
    GrannyGruntbuckGrannyGruntbuck Posts: 3,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's been a mixed bag in my opinion.
    Definitely better than the first series.
    It is showing some promise and I hope it eventually delivers.

Sadly though, it's still not a patch on the radio series.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    His live show got a top rating in The Times review.

The Cafe girl is featured a lot in tonights episode, she's extremely attractive.
  • Options
    FangsterFangster Posts: 357
    Forum Member
    Last night's episode wasn't the best. One more left in this series.

I really liked this one!

I thought the joke at the end didn't need to be played out fully and could have ended with just Bulent going through to the cafe or maybe the scream off-screen but then it occurred that maybe it was a nod to the end of the Fawlty Towers Hotel Inspectors episode?
  • Options
    chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Again, Arthur on good form (he mixed up some of his words! A defining character trait on radio/stage, rarely used on TV), but clogged terribly up by the Café Numpties.

Surely anyone with an ounce of common-sense would know that a trouser fire is often followed by an underpants fire? :D
  • Options
    SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    Enjoyed this week's, again.
    racey43 wrote: »
    Did anyone catch Rory in Broken (BBC2 last Saturday night)? He played a nasty piece of work, foul-mouthed and controlling. Versatile, and a fine actor.
  • Options
    AmusedmooseAmusedmoose Posts: 1,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SnrDev wrote: »
    Enjoyed this week's, again.

Did anyone catch Rory in Broken (BBC2 last Saturday night)? He played a nasty piece of work, foul-mouthed and controlling. Versatile, and a fine actor.

Rory Kinnear is an incredible actor. I saw him in 'Lucan' again this week when ITV Encore repeated it. You cannot deny the man's talent. I think Michael is essential to Count Arthur Strong. You need a straight man! It's practically the law of comedy, can anyone think of a sitcom that doesn't use the funnyman / straight man dynamic?

I actually watched this episode being filmed so I have a particular soft spot for it. It's interesting to see the dislike of Michael, and his storyline with Sinem on here, because it couldn't have been a more different reaction to the one at the recording. At the point where Sinem entered Michael's flat the audience went 'ohhh'. Graham Linehan actually called cut, and walked out in front of us all to ask us not to make these kind of noises, 'It's not Happy Days guys!' he told us!:D. The kiss also had to be retaken 3 times due to the crowd 'ohhh'ing over it.:p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The straight man-funny man thing is a Vaudville/Music Hall thing not a sitcom tradition at all..

Who was the straight guy in Father Ted , Open All Hours , Porridge, OFAH , Rising Damp ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The straight man-funny man thing is a Vaudville/Music Hall thing not a sitcom tradition at all..

Who was the straight guy in Father Ted , Open All Hours , Porridge, OFAH , Rising Damp ?

Well personally I think Father Ted's would be Ted himself. Open All Hours would be Granville, and Porridge would be Godber. I can't comment on Rising Damp as I never watched it. But my point is they are the more serious character and I think that's what you need. It doesn't mean they don't have funny moments of there own occasionally, but they act as the catalyst. They are the 'yin' to the other character's 'yang'.

Edit: I forgot 'Only fools' = Rodney
  • Options
    atgatg Posts: 4,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fangster wrote: »
    I thought the joke at the end didn't need to be played out fully and could have ended with just Bulent going through to the cafe or maybe the scream off-screen but then it occurred that maybe it was a nod to the end of the Fawlty Towers Hotel Inspectors episode?
    Yes that was bizarre wasn't it? If not a nod (and why would it be as there's no other connection?) then pure plagiarism.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JazzyJaney wrote: »
    I think Michael is essential to Count Arthur Strong. You need a straight man!
    But he doesn't play it straight. And I don't just mean the irritating campness.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Again, Arthur on good form (he mixed up some of his words! A defining character trait on radio/stage, rarely used on TV),
    And tried to use cunning deception to get a free meal, even if it was only in a flashback.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JazzyJaney wrote: »
    At the point where Sinem entered Michael's flat the audience went 'ohhh'. Graham Linehan actually called cut, and walked out in front of us all to ask us not to make these kind of noises, 'It's not Happy Days guys!' he told us!:D. The kiss also had to be retaken 3 times due to the crowd 'ohhh'ing over it.:p
    The whole side plot of Sinem dumping the other bloke and going to his flat was ridiculous, and obviously aimed at 5 year olds. Who cares?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    atg wrote: »

Well I'm not meaning it literally. The 'straight man' is just a generic term:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straight_man_%28stock_character%29
  • Options
    ahoymeisterahoymeister Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes that was bizarre wasn't it? If not a nod (and why would it be as there's no other connection?) then pure plagiarism.

Linehan's work is littered with film references and a whole episode of Father Ted referenced One Foot in the Grave. So this was clearly a nod to Fawlty Towers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Linehan's work is littered with film references and a whole episode of Father Ted referenced One Foot in the Grave. So this was clearly a nod to Fawlty Towers.
    I guess the alternative that he was either unaware of the line, or just thought nobody would notice he'd nicked it, was unlikely. What can we expect next, a 'hamster' running amok in the cafe? - speaking of which, Sabrina Franklyn was on a couple of weeks ago wasn't she?

Mind you the OFitG reference was explicit in the Father Ted episode, unlike this.
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Arthur using the sewing machine while Michael was trying to watch Game of Thrones was hilarious. :D
  • Options
    Robin DaviesRobin Davies Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    I guess the alternative that he was either unaware of the line, or just thought nobody would notice he'd nicked it, was unlikely. What can we expect next, a 'hamster' running amok in the cafe? - speaking of which, Sabrina Franklyn was on a couple of weeks ago wasn't she?

Mind you the OFitG reference was explicit in the Father Ted episode, unlike this.
    It was a hugely obvious (and enjoyable) tribute to a hugely famous episode of Fawlty Towers which everyone has seen.
  • Options
    cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member

Wrong type of 'straight man' :p