Laila and Anton's paso way better than Ali and Brian's last week?

Comments

• ErinfanErinfan Posts: 8,027
    Forum Member
    When Laila came out and opened with those beautiful spanish arms, I sat up and thought "Wow this is going to be great". The routine just fell flat for me afterwards. Didn't like the choreography and the lift made me feel that Anton didn't really know what to do with the routine. It just felt a bit thrown together rather than the dance being a clear story or a progression from start to finish.

I love Laila though and perhaps that is why I was disappointed with the routine. I think she was capable of better. It did have a nice authentic flavour though :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 55
    Forum Member
    Ali and Brian are my favourites, but their paso, injury or no , didn't wow me, and I was put off by the smiling/grimacing. Didn't think it desrved 9s. Laila certainly had the look - dark dramatic and a proper paso dress. I was struck when her dress came up in the costume section of ITT that the woman said this is a proper paso colour - or something like that. Ali was let down by her dress as well I thought.

Laila and Anton would have gotten better scores though if they hadn't thrown in the lift so noone to blame but themselves. But the steps themselves/choreography was simpler than Ali and Brians. So I wouldn't get all het up by undermarking, I thought it was fair.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 199
    Forum Member
    -Sid- wrote: »
    It was based on the opinion of someone who is a trained ballerina herself - I believed Sara when she said she thought Ali had done a lot of ballet in the past. I expect she can spot these things.

Others are free to believe her training was fairly limited :)

I'm with you Sid, I think she's done quite a bit of dancing. She can do the splits for example, that takes a bit of work...
  • Bonnie96Bonnie96 Posts: 5,415
    Forum Member
    astropoet wrote: »
    I'm with you Sid, I think she's done quite a bit of dancing. She can do the splits for example, that takes a bit of work...

She instinctively places her feet in the ballet positions - most noticeable when she took her shoes off last week and her arms have the ballerina's grace - again an automatic (for her) pose I think.
    Definitely not just a Saturday morning dancing class.
    (Before anyone splits hairs with me - other days are also available :p)
  • ElectratElectrat Posts: 589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought her Paso was one of her better dances and probably better than Ali and Brian's, but I find her totally unconvincing. She loses focus so often that it makes her look incredibly self concious. She loves ballroom because she can be in Anton's firm hold and be safe.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed Laila's Paso and thought she captured the mood of the dance more than Ali (although i let Ali off for that as she was in pain).

I also didn't think there was a lift, i thought it was more of a jump.
  • Strictly_IrishStrictly_Irish Posts: 18,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ali is the teacher's pet. Simple as that. Nobody will beat her in their eyes when it comes to thecrunch.

Laila's Paso was clearly better than Ali's.
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TeresaAL wrote: »
    Loved it, and it was a much more authentic paso than Ali's. Thought Anton looked great doing it too, great job all round.

My thoughts as well, but I wouldn't claim any knowledge of the Paso..or any other dance for that matter.
    I thought Laila's Paso was pure theatre..loved it.
    Ali's routine may have been technically better, but it looked insipid in comparison. Unfortunately that seems to be her problem..she will continue to please the judges. but never ignite any flames of passion in the viewers.
  • Olls~Olls~ Posts: 3,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My thoughts as well, but I wouldn't claim any knowledge of the Paso..or any other dance for that matter.
    I thought Laila's Paso was pure theatre..loved it.
    Ali's routine may have been technically better, but it looked insipid in comparison. Unfortunately that seems to be her problem..she will continue to please the judges. but never ignite any flames of passion in the viewers.

Don't talk for all of us. Ali and Brian are the only couple that move me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I certainly enjoyed Laila's more.
  • yenstonyenston Posts: 2,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Erinfan wrote: »
    When Laila came out and opened with those beautiful spanish arms, I sat up and thought "Wow this is going to be great". The routine just fell flat for me afterwards. Didn't like the choreography and the lift made me feel that Anton didn't really know what to do with the routine. It just felt a bit thrown together rather than the dance being a clear story or a progression from start to finish.

QUOTE]

My thoughts exactly. Didn't think the choreography was that great and agreed with Craig on the lack of connection between them. As for the lifts, I think Anton put them in because he knows he can and get away with it. Don't think they were penalised enough for the lifts.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Olls~ wrote: »
    Don't talk for all of us. Ali and Brian are the only couple that move me.

Fair enough..point taken. :)
    But..are you just moved by the "sentimentality" of a few routines, or is it really "up off the chair and cheering" kind of moved ?
  • bromptonbrompton Posts: 744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But don't you think this is the best year Anton has had for ages so something must be right;)

I think he was lucky in getting a decent partner, and he's completely screwed up thereafter :)
  • Olls~Olls~ Posts: 3,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fair enough..point taken. :)
    But..are you just moved by the "sentimentality" of a few routines, or is it really "up off the chair and cheering" kind of moved ?

You probably could say its the sentimentality of it (can't say i've ever jumped up and cheered madly for anyone while watching it on telly) Her VW for example moved me very much. It swept me up and i was carried away with them. It was like a fairytale. I'm probably just too blummin soppy :D

Its easier in ballroom to be moved like that. latin is a different story.

I didn't like her paso, jive wasn't too bad. I loved her salsa and rumba, though. I do think she has to totally lose herself in latin and go for it.

But they are the first couple since Jill and Darren that i've just totally adored and no one else this series comes close to them for me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,044
    Forum Member
    Dana wrote: »
    Well I certainly enjoyed Laila's more.

me too, I definately thought it was better and captures the spirit of the dance a lot better than Ali last week

On the whole though Ali can dance very well sometimes her performance level is just not there and in the paso it just wasn't there at all .

also by the way how conceited was she to say whilst her foot was in he bucket no maore drama for me , I am glad she was in the bottom two after that comment

No one is safe with tis scoring system and the good dancers need to be aware of this and up their game !
  • -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    astropoet wrote: »
    Bonnie96 wrote: »
    She instinctively places her feet in the ballet positions - most noticeable when she took her shoes off last week and her arms have the ballerina's grace - again an automatic (for her) pose I think.
    Definitely not just a Saturday morning dancing class.
    (Before anyone splits hairs with me - other days are also available :p)

Cheers you two :)

I was getting a bit exasperated arguing the obvious I thought!

Even my untrained eye can tell that Ali has done a fair bit of ballet in the past and the guest on ITT merely corroborated my views.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Even my untrained eye can tell that Ali has done a fair bit of ballet in the past and the guest on ITT merely corroborated my views.

Afternoon Sid *smooches*

Ali has said herself I think that she had ballet lessons- can't remember where or when- but this will only help her in certain dances not all.

Anyway I can agree on that but not on the Passo by Laila and Anton- couldn't stand it- sorry!! I thought they got marks they deserved and she is still so uncertain for a large part of every dance and she was even in hold for a lot of the dance this week- no wonder its her best latin score to date! IMO of course- each to their own :D

Also- it needs to be remembered that some couples only ever get a certain level of scores from the judges- we have that discussion every year!
  • Bonnie96Bonnie96 Posts: 5,415
    Forum Member

YW :D

But did no one ever tell you?
    You don't argue with a woman who's got the bit between her teeth :D
  • IdiotgirleIdiotgirle Posts: 2,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Daisy_M wrote: »
    Practice doesn't produce natural talent. :)
    Through doing various musicals and pantos, I know a woman who attended a dance school for at least the 5 years she was in secondary school and she simply cannot dance! She's either a move ahead or behind the routine and rarely seems to notice. Now I'd call her dance training extensive but as for talent? Craig Kelly levels.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Olls~ wrote: »
    You probably could say its the sentimentality of it (can't say i've ever jumped up and cheered madly for anyone while watching it on telly) Her VW for example moved me very much. It swept me up and i was carried away with them. It was like a fairytale. I'm probably just too blummin soppy :D

Its easier in ballroom to be moved like that. latin is a different story.

I didn't like her paso, jive wasn't too bad. I loved her salsa and rumba, though. I do think she has to totally lose herself in latin and go for it.

But they are the first couple since Jill and Darren that i've just totally adored and no one else this series comes close to them for me.

Yes, I agree there. She does need to "let go" in her Latin dances..act the part, create the mood..call it what you will.
    She has largely mastered the art of ballroom, elegant and graceful. I need to see a bit more oomph (to use a technical term ;)) in the latin before I could consider her up with the likes of Jill.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Afternoon Sid *smooches*

Ali has said herself I think that she had ballet lessons- can't remember where or when- but this will only help her in certain dances not all.

Anyway I can agree on that but not on the Passo by Laila and Anton- couldn't stand it- sorry!! I thought they got marks they deserved and she is still so uncertain for a large part of every dance and she was even in hold for a lot of the dance this week- no wonder its her best latin score to date! IMO of course- each to their own :D

Also- it needs to be remembered that some couples only ever get a certain level of scores from the judges- we have that discussion every year!

Hello gorgeous :) <smooooooooooooooooch!>

We half agree then :D

On a more positive note - wasn't our Chris marvellous? :)
    Bonnie96 wrote: »
    YW :D

But did no one ever tell you?
    You don't argue with a woman who's got the bit between her teeth :D

No but thanks for the heads up Bonnie! ;):p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hello gorgeous :) <smooooooooooooooooch!>

We half agree then :D

On a more positive note - wasn't our Chris marvellous? :)

No but thanks for the heads up Bonnie! ;):p

*Big hugs!*

Hello my darling- flying visit but just had to see what conspiracy theories would bound after last nights result! :D

Our Chris was marvellous indeed - I was really proud of Team Cola and I thought that Ola's choreography was great again.

I actually thought as a whole it was better last night than last week- hurrah- lets hope it continues :D

Can't wait for ITT tomorrow....!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glad you could pop in FF - I have to say, last night was one of the most enjoyable nights of Strictly ever!

Speak soon x
  • Bobby'sgirlBobby'sgirl Posts: 7,380
    Forum Member
    brompton wrote: »
    I think he was lucky in getting a decent partner, and he's completely screwed up thereafter :)

I don't think he has completely messed up. He had a bit of a moment with the Jive but I don't think he really feels at ease with the fast latin ones. But as you may have guessed he is still 'my favourite';)
  • hiragoagainhiragoagain Posts: 420
    Forum Member
    I'm not much of a Laila fan but I did think this Paso was mesmerising to watch - perhaps it was the costumes and the atmosphere of the Tower but it felt dramatic and passionate. They both looked extremely disappointed when they got their comments and scores - I get the impression they feel they are being undermarked compared to how they thought their last two dances have gone.