Atmospheric games with good storylines

ZeusZeus Posts: 10,459
Forum Member
✭✭
Which games on the PS3 emphasise atmosphere and a strong storyline? Are there any you would recommend which, irrespective of graphics quality or the level of action, really grip you, as a powerful novel or movie might?

Comments

• Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Uncharted: Drake's Fortune

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

And the bonus is, as well as each having an excellent storyline, cinematic atmosphere, and top-notch voice acting, they all also have excellent graphics and action too.
  • Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mafia II - probably thee best story driven, atmoaspheric game I've played this gen, or any gen come to that.

Beats Uncharted for story and atmosphere imo, far less emphasis on the action and more about the character and the era the game is set in.

Highly recommend Mafia II
  • ZeusZeus Posts: 10,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aha thanks Matt. I noticed Uncharted 2 is near the top of Meta Critic's all time list too (second I think after Grand Theft Auto IV). Currently I'm playing Deus Ex Human Revolution but I will add the Uncharted series to my wishlist. I've heard good things about the storylines from Heavy Rain and Bioshock too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mafia II - probably thee best story driven, atmoaspheric game I've played this gen, or any gen come to that.

Beats Uncharted for story and atmosphere imo, far less emphasis on the action and more about the character and the era the game is set in.

Highly recommend Mafia II

Excellent, another for the wish list!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,428
    Forum Member
    Heavy Rain?

Definitely got ther atmosphere and storyline.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really got sucked into the Mass Effect series (played no1 on 360) really got quite emotional playing them.
  • OMTTOMTT Posts: 5,459
    Forum Member
    Heavy Rain & Red Dead Redemption
  • Rip the TV EyeRip the TV Eye Posts: 1,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Okay, this is PS2, but: Black.

I have never encountered an atmosphere like it in a game before.
  • ToytownAssassinToytownAssassin Posts: 162
    Forum Member
    Heavy rain if you can stand quick time events. Decent enough story but if I never see another quick time based game again it'll be too soon!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    Zeus wrote: »
    Which games on the PS3 emphasise atmosphere and a strong storyline? Are there any you would recommend which, irrespective of graphics quality or the level of action, really grip you, as a powerful novel or movie might?

Uncharted games - all of them

All PS3 owners should own them
  • ConroyConroy Posts: 3,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    God Of War. It helps if you have some knowledge of Greek mythology and don't mind seeing beasts, Greek heroes and Gods being ripped in half/gutted/implailed/beheaded... It's probably best to play them in release order.

Dead Space has two great simultaneously running storylines across multiple games and films.

Uncharted as mentioned above is a must play franchise.

inFamous has a good comic book/superhero story too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheG-Man wrote: »
    I really got sucked into the Mass Effect series (played no1 on 360) really got quite emotional playing them.

I really want to get into this series but I never played the first one. Would it matter much?
    Conroy wrote: »
    God Of War. It helps if you have some knowledge of Greek mythology and don't mind seeing beasts, Greek heroes and Gods being ripped in half/gutted/implailed/beheaded... It's probably best to play them in release order.

YES!, I think the series peaked at GoW2 but still an excellent trilogy.

I'd highly recomment Heavy Rain as it plays just like a thriller. although I'd say just rent it as it's incredibly boring on the 2nd playthrough.

I'd also suggest Dragon Age: Origins (the ultimate edition is excellent value for money) It's made by Bioware and has a similar structure to their Knights of the old republic & Mass Effect games.

DA2 is a great game too but nowhere near as gripping as Origins.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really want to get into this series but I never played the first one. Would it matter much?

YES!, I think the series peaked at GoW2 but still an excellent trilogy.

If you buy mass effect 2 on the PSN, or manage to find a new copy somehow, you will get a digital comic that fills you in on the events of mass effect 1 even letting you make key story decisions from that game, so no it wouldn't matter that you havent played the first

Couldn't disagree more on GoW2, i like it but in terms of the series i'd say it's my least favourite, i'd even rank chains of olympus higher

In terms of games the OP might be interested in, Uncharted 1-3, mass effect 2-3 and perhaps some RPGs one that i'm particulary fond of is Tales of Graces F, it has a fantastic opening few hours that really establish the characters and their motivations, the only thing that might but you off is there is a large amount of backtracking and visiting the same areas
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks, I didn't know about the digital comic. Now I can bite th ebullet and start ME2 :)
  • Jack_OJack_O Posts: 991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
    Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception
    Silent Hill: Downpour
    Batman: Arkham City
    Heavy Rain
  • Ash_735Ash_735 Posts: 8,493
    Forum Member
    No votes for Assassin's Creed? The Ezio Trilogy (II, Brotherhood, Revelations) does a brilliant job of recreating the cities they are based in and the characters are all well acted.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some nice recommendations above thanks a lot folks. I see that the Uncharted series and Heavy Rain crop up a few times. How about Bioshock, does it merit the praise it had from critics in terms of storyline?
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heavy rain and Uncharteds...

The Bioshocks are also fantastic games.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zeus wrote: »
    Aha thanks Matt. I noticed Uncharted 2 is near the top of Meta Critic's all time list too (second I think after Grand Theft Auto IV). Currently I'm playing Deus Ex Human Revolution but I will add the Uncharted series to my wishlist. I've heard good things about the storylines from Heavy Rain and Bioshock too.

Yup, all three Uncharted games are highly rated, especially number 2.

They are, IMO, 100% *must haves* for any PS3 owner.

I haven't played Heavy Rain, but I did enjoy BioShock. A very good story and atmosphere.
    TheG-Man wrote: »

OMG how could I not mention the Mass Effect games - they're my favourite games of this generation! :o

My excuse is that I played all three on the 360, so didn't think of them when replying to a thread in the PlayStation forum.

But yes, the ME games all have a great story and atmosphere, with some of my favourite characters of any game of any generation.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh, more:

Max Payne 3 - Some have described it as "Uncharted without climbing & puzzling", which tbh is quite accurate! Excellent 3rd-person cover-shooter, with a brilliant atmosphere, story, and voice acting, as well as action.

Red Dead Redemption - I much preferred this to GTA IV. I loved the Wild West setting and atmosphere, and the story and characters were great.

Batman: Arkham Asylum - Excellent Batman game (something never before uttered by anyone!) where you are the goddamn Batman ;) . Great atmosphere and story, and great voice acting (including many people playing the same characters they played in Batman: The Animated Series, such as Kevin Conroy as Batman/Bruce and Mark Hamill (yes, that Mark Hamill) as The Joker).

Batman: Arkham City - Excellent sequel to Arkham Asylum. Just don't bother with the Catwoman missions, though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 113
    Forum Member
    Can I put a shout in for Enslaved, was very well received when judged on the story and the characters. Some gamers found it to be repetitive at times but more and more it is being considered a lost gem.

I loved it, beautiful game, good story, well acted (Andy Serkis) and a mixture of climbing, exploring, combat and hoverboarding (yes, you read that right :) )

I would also back the Uncharted's, the Bioshocks, Mass Effect (story great, combat not so much) and Batman Arkham Asylum.
  • HotelierHotelier Posts: 13,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fallout 3 and, for me, to a lesser extent fallout new vegas. I love the stories and the post apolyptic atmosphere is captured well. I also love the free roaming and the choice of first or third person view.(I prefer first person).
  • OtherguyOtherguy Posts: 122
    Forum Member
    Mass Effect 2 was superb. Great story, completely immersive universe. Fallout 3 is great for atmosphere, although the story is fairly average.

If you've got a spare tenner, download Journey from the PSN. It's short, with very little story to speak of, but I guarantee you will find it one of the most moving and memorable games you'll ever play on the PS3.
  • MojoMasterMojoMaster Posts: 6,494
    Forum Member
    Haze is fantastic! :D
  • Duncan_StylesDuncan_Styles Posts: 431
    Forum Member
    Enslaved gets a vote from me too.