Most haunting film you have ever seen

Comments

• TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My dad wants me to pass on his votes :D

Sophie's Choice - the scene where the mother has to choose between her children

Midareru (Yearning) - the unexpected death of one character

Edge of Darkness - when Bob Peck's character breaks down in his late daughter's room

Kurutta Kajitsu (Crazy Fruit) - the ending.
    My dad admits he thought this film was "the coolest" when he was a teenager. :D
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    irishguy wrote: »
    The Road is a post-apocalypse film... you don't get to see the actual destruction but instead you get to follow people trying to survive in the aftermath

I love Viggo but couldn't bring myself to see that film after I read the book. It was so relentlessly grim I wanted to shout at the man:
    just kill the kid already!
  • year 1957year 1957 Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    I haven't seen that but apparently it's very good. I might not watch it if it's another nuclear war one though. :o

I don`t thnk it was a nucleur war, there did not seem to be much evidence of radiation , i think it was probaly an asteroid strike or possibly a super volcano eruption.Some people thought it was boring but imagine trying to survive in permanant darkness,freezing cold all plant life and animal`s dead no possibility of new food.

Also this was staged ten year`s after the event and all the food has gone and you are being hunted as food yourself.

The scene in the mansion house is terrifying.:mad:
  • irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    I love Viggo but couldn't bring myself to see that film after I read the book. It was so relentlessly grim I wanted to shout at the man:
    just kill the kid already!

Yeah - I've never seen the film either - the book was enough to deal with! I believe that we're never actually told what is the cause of the disaster that has caused the collapse of civilisation... Most assume its been caused by WWIII but it could just as easily be climate change, virus pandemic etc.
  • ChristopherJChristopherJ Posts: 976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vosne wrote: »
    On The Buses was pretty disturbing.
    :D

And gave rise to one of the most magnificently haunting poems I have ever read on the internet:

ON THE BUSES TRIBUTE..

ON THE BUSES,
    STAN & JACK WORKING TOGETHER
    A PARTNERSHIP MADE IN HEAVEN
    STAN DRIVNG AND JACK CONDUCTING ON THE BUS NUMBER 13

AT THE DEPOT THEY HAD A BOSS CALLED MR BLAKE
    BLAKEY WAS HIS NICK NAME.
    A NICK NAME ONE OF MANY!

HE CHECKED UP ON THEM AT EVERY OPPOTUNITY
    WHEN THEY WERE OUT ON THE BUS
    GETTING UP TO MISCHIEF
    FROM DRIVING THE BUS ALONG TO BEING STATIONARY.

FROM SWITICHING THE SIGNS
    TO DIVERTING THE WOMEN DRIVERS
    AS THEY WERE DRIVING ALONG ON THEIR ROUTES.

TO SWITCHING THE RADIO CONTROL TO ANOTHER
    TO PLAYING DARTS.
    NO ONE COULD STOP THEM IN THEIR TRACKS.

FROM ON THE BUSES TO MUTINY ON THE BUSES
    HUMOUROUS CLASSIC COMEDY THAT IS LOVED BY MANY..

HOLIDAY ON THE BUSES WAS A GREAT CLASSICAL COMEDY TOO
    CLASSICAL COMEDYS THAT LIVE ON IN FANS HEARTS AND MEMORIES.

C.BY TRACY
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    My dad wants me to pass on his votes :D

Awww bless him :D

Thanks for all the replies everyone, I don't really make many threads so its nice to see it didn't fail miserably :D

Its been really interesting reading all of the replies, its funny how simple innocuous things can sometimes stick in your head much more than obvious blood and gore type movies.
  • Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And gave rise to one of the most magnificently haunting poems I have ever read on the internet:

ON THE BUSES TRIBUTE..

ON THE BUSES,

A NICK NAME ONE OF MANY!

GETTING UP TO MISCHIEF

TO PLAYING DARTS.

C.BY TRACY

:D:D:D

Love it well done for posting.:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

ON THE BUSES TRIBUTE..

ON THE BUSES,

A NICK NAME ONE OF MANY!

GETTING UP TO MISCHIEF

TO PLAYING DARTS.

C.BY TRACY

AND THEY SAY SHAKESPEARE IS DEAD?
  • vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

ON THE BUSES TRIBUTE..

ON THE BUSES,

A NICK NAME ONE OF MANY!

GETTING UP TO MISCHIEF

TO PLAYING DARTS.

C.BY TRACY

That moved me to tears :cry:
  • mulderfanmulderfan Posts: 174
    Forum Member
    Threads - the infamous third world war TV film. Scared the crap out of me at the time!

Me too
  • adopteradopter Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Irreversible and Nil By Mouth.

Oh and Million Dollar Baby.
  • Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    AND THEY SAY SHAKESPEARE IS DEAD?

The way that the poetry in the post flowed shows the great bard is alive and well.:D
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    The original "When A Stranger Calls" (or the first twenty minutes, at least!)

Left me unable even now to answer the phone after dark when I'm home alone, and be wary of locking myself in a house!
  • Sophie ~Oohie~Sophie ~Oohie~ Posts: 10,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Come and See, a Soviet film about the Nazi invasion of Belarus, was pretty haunting, and it was difficult to get the images out of your head afterwards.
    Honestly? I thought that was a right damp squib, not helped by the fact it was in Russian with subtitles and I didn't understand the end. :o
    Yeah - I've never seen the film either - the book was enough to deal with! I believe that we're never actually told what is the cause of the disaster that has caused the collapse of civilisation... Most assume its been caused by WWIII but it could just as easily be climate change, virus pandemic etc.
    I thought from the posters that it was either nuclear war or asteroid because everything was burnt and kind of frozen so it wasn't a disease.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The way that the poetry in the post flowed shows the great bard is alive and well.:D

I wonder if he's written one about "Love Thy Neighbour"?:D
  • Auld SnodyAuld Snody Posts: 15,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was an animation about the extinction of the Eskimo curlew

Film, TV or theatrical adaptations

The book was made into an animated film by Hanna-Barbera Productions. The English original version was narrated by Ross Martin, who became famous as the Artemus Gordon character in the original version of The Wild Wild West. This film was first shown in October 1972 as the very first ABC Afterschool Special. It was given an Emmy for Outstanding Achievement in Children's Programming in 1973.[1][2]
    [edit]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Last_of_the_Curlews
  • Granny WeatherwaxGranny Weatherwax Posts: 52,923
    Forum Member
    The most haunting film I have ever seen was Schindler's List. The vision of the little girl in the red coat on the wagon stayed with me for months. Never before or since has a film ever had such a level of impact on me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    year 1957 wrote: »
    I don`t thnk it was a nucleur war, there did not seem to be much evidence of radiation , i think it was probaly an asteroid strike or possibly a super volcano eruption.Some people thought it was boring but imagine trying to survive in permanant darkness,freezing cold all plant life and animal`s dead no possibility of new food.

Also this was staged ten year`s after the event and all the food has gone and you are being hunted as food yourself.

The scene in the mansion house is terrifying.:mad:
    Oh wow I don't think I'd like it. I read the description on IMDB and it sounds like a cross between Threads and Carriers (which I also didn't like), but possibly also about climate change! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Honestly? I thought that was a right damp squib, not helped by the fact it was in Russian with subtitles and I didn't understand the end

The film played backwards bit, or the partisans trooping off through the forest?

It was less the violence than some of the bizarre parodies of manners that stayed with me, such as the strange scene in which the invaders were welcomed and treated as guests. Admittedly though, European arthouse films can be something of a slog at times.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The film played backwards bit, or the partisans trooping off through the forest?

It was less the violence than some of the bizarre parodies of manners that stayed with me, such as the strange scene in which the invaders were welcomed and treated as guests. Admittedly though, European arthouse films can be something of a slog at times.
    It was a while back, there was suddenly black and white photos of Hitler and things and someone was shooting at nothing in particular. The only part that I thought sounded scary was it said on IMDB that the kid's sister was supposed to have been cooked, but I honestly think whoever posted the review took a few wild leaps there because it didn't look like that was implied to me. :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was a while back, there was suddenly black and white photos of Hitler and things and someone was shooting at nothing in particular. The only part that I thought sounded scary was it said on IMDB that the kid's sister was supposed to have been cooked, but I honestly think whoever posted the review took a few wild leaps there because it didn't look like that was implied to me. :confused:

I took that bit with the boy shooting to be a little sequence expressing his desire to reverse the whole Invasion, to send everything that had happened back into time and back into Germany. If I remember, it ended with a pic of Hitler as a baby, and the Russian boy couldn't bring himself to shoot what he was seeing.

Might be taking a few wild leaps myself though, as I haven't seen it for years either. :D
  • reglipreglip Posts: 5,268
    Forum Member
    For you maybe. I'm scared of it and think 'yikes' every time North Korea or Iran are mentioned. :o

Iran doesnt have nuclear weapons you can relax
  • Delboy219Delboy219 Posts: 3,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the replies everyone, I don't really make many threads so its nice to see it didn't fail miserably :D

You should make more. It was a good one. :)
  • tremetreme Posts: 5,445
    Forum Member
    Can you answer my question then? :D

I've already told you, I've looked all round the car and didn't find your knickers!
  • Enfant TerribleEnfant Terrible Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched Threads on BBC4 some years ago now and I really wish I hadn't. Words can't explain how depressing and unsettling it is. I found 28 Days Later very haunting as well.

Threads is truly haunting because the whole scenario is so realistic - it really doesn't take much to have a political breakdown like that. And its consequences.

I only watched Threads for the first time a few years ago and I could not stop crying. Horrible.