Options

Atheism Rules Now Let Us Celebrate! Empirically!

Comments

• Options
    Chester666666Chester666666 Posts: 9,020
    Forum Member
    alan29 wrote: »
    I especially love self-congratulatory arrogance that begs for like-minded people to congeal together..... presumably for "big bangs" (sic.)
    Now there's an image to gladden the heart.

congealing is more likely after the big bang, ice cream and KY:D
  • Options
    SoupbowlSoupbowl Posts: 2,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I presume you mean the United Atheist Alliance?

Oh god! we are going to have problems!
  • Options
    jjnejjne Posts: 6,580
    Forum Member
    Parker45 wrote: »
    Plenty of people who believe in God also believe in the Big Bang.

... whereas people who do not believe in God almost without exception do not "believe in" the Big Bang Theory.

The Theory is a model which accurately explains much of what we see, has made a number of calculations on the structure of the Universe which have been proven by observation, and which follows by simple extrapolation of many established facts currently known to science.

If, however, compelling evidence to contradict the BB Theory comes to light, the whole premise will be binned in far shorter order than the Catholic Church binned their assertion regarding the Earth's place in the solar system.

This is not "belief in" an idea, it is cold hard reason at work. It is certainly at least partially true. As it is the best explanation we have, I'll take it in the absence of anything more compelling.

Demonstrate the empirical evidence for the Biblical Genesis story, and I'll listen.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never Nude wrote: »
    Do you love empirical evidence?
    Do you love not getting your moral code from an outdated, bigoted book?
    Do you find the big bangs creation endlessly fascinating? The mysteries of science so beautiful it is an insult to believe in a divine creator?
    Do you love equality?
    Do you not give a flying monkeys what other people get up to between the sheets?

ME TO!! Now let's get together and celebrate the joys of atheism.

1) Yes I quite like empirical evidence
    2) I don't tend to get my moral code from any book, outdated, bigoted or not. Although in the Bible, that dude Jesus did have some fairly interesting things to say.
    3) No not really. I can't bring myself to worry over much about how we got here. And there is nothing to say The Big Bang and a divine creator are contradictory items. Could be both. Yes the mysteries of science are extremely cool. I also like animal shows on the telly :)
    4) Yes I love equality. Equality in all things I say.
    5) No I couldnt give a toss what other people do between the sheets. Or on the kitchen table for that matter.

Now where's the party? :D
  • Options
    darkjedimasterdarkjedimaster Posts: 18,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Atheism is the best as providing nobody gets hurt, you live by your own rules & are not brainwashed into following something that doesn't exist.

Joys of being a non believer

Premarital relations a plenty
    You can wear whatever clothing you like
    You can encourage contraception
    You can encourage blood transfusions
    You can have your own view on abortions
    You don't have to give up anything for a period of days
    You know that science can cure people, where as faith healing murders people.
    Drink / take drugs / listen to heavy metal music without remorse.
    You don't go into denial on the possibility of life on other planets.

The list goes on & on, thank f**k for Atheism & the power of freedom to do what the hell you want, within reason. :)
  • Options
    tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Atheism.

But one thing I wish we could have, just like in the Bible, a talking Donkey.
  • Options
    SpamJavelinSpamJavelin Posts: 1,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tysonstorm wrote: »
    I love Atheism.

But one thing I wish we could have, just like in the Bible, a talking Donkey.
    We have Shrek for that :D
  • Options
    tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have Shrek for that :D

Good point. :p
  • Options
    kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No ta.

Tribes that play the "us and them" games tend to p*ss me off.
    I especially love self-congratulatory arrogance that begs for like-minded people to congeal together..... presumably for "big bangs" (sic.)
    Yet you're both very protective of the religious.
  • Options
    Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member

What about those of us who are too self-congratulatory and arrogant to want to congeal with anyone? Anyway it sounds a bit unpleasant to me.
  • Options
    MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you lot really need to have these circle wanks in public? The carpet in here is icky. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Actually when I first stopped believing in God over 50 years ago there was a period when I thought the only other atheists in the world might be Bernard Shaw, Stalin and my Grandad.

it is good to now find myself in a wider and widening collection of people.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mordirith wrote: »
    Religion: Giving people hope in a world torn apart by religion.

I think you'll find it's money.
  • Options
    HenryGartenHenryGarten Posts: 24,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are there any people who have never believed in God at all at any time?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kimindex wrote: »
    Yet you're both very protective of the religious.

The religious can look out for themselves, however when a generic group of people promote themselves as somehow better it ill-behooves them to fall into the same old bigoted "us & them" mindset.

As far as I'm concerned all this kind of thread shows is that you can be as bad as each other. I'm no believer but I certainly wouldn't want to associate myself with the kind of nonsense that is all to common with the kind of "atheism" we regularly see on here.

If you* claim to be better then be better.

(Yikes deja vu).

eta: *Generic "you" obviously.
  • Options
    SpamJavelinSpamJavelin Posts: 1,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, me.
  • Options
    cat's whiskascat's whiskas Posts: 877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Of course there are (me for example)
  • Options
    rockerchickrockerchick Posts: 9,255
    Forum Member

Yep me
  • Options
    Forum Member

When I was growing up in the fifties I did not meet; or hear; of anyone who said they did not believe in god until I was in my early teens. It is quite difficult to invent something that contradicts everything you are told.
    I was amazed when my granddad finally let it be known he thought religion was a load of twaddle.
  • Options
    batgirlbatgirl Posts: 42,248
    Forum Member

I can't really remember a belief. I do remember being in church or at *Sunday school* and kind of realising that people do actually believe in this stuff, or appear to. I was very young and found it odd.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    batgirl wrote: »
    I can't really remember a belief. I do remember being in church or at *Sunday school* and kind of realising that people do actually believe in this stuff, or appear to. I was very young and found it odd.

Same here - although I was in my late teens before I really realised people actually believed in that stuff ratehr than 'just something people did'.

Never been a point in my life when I have considered gods as anything more than mythical characters in legends and stories.

I don't call myself an athiest as why should I? I've never believed in fairies but I don;t describe myself as an afaeriest when asked about whether I think they exist or not. Gods are in the same group for me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Richard46 wrote: »
    When I was growing up in the fifties I did not meet; or hear; of anyone who said they did not believe in god until I was in my early teens. It is quite difficult to invent something that contradicts everything you are told..

Exactly, hence there was some leeway in people believing in gods...hence why I don;t look at 'older' people strangely who believe in gods...anyone 40 or under...yup, no reason to think gods exist.

Of course, the reason athiests are now described as shrill/aggressive/loud etc is simply because people who do not believe in gods have now found their voice and are saying 'no' to the influence religion has in defining how society runs rather than allowing secularism to be the thing that is used.

Religious people feel threatened and the higher people in the organisations relise they could be losing power over us all hence they need to push back...they also are just not used to people questioning their beliefs and having to support their views and hence the ad hominem attacks abound.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    You all won't be so smug when my pal Zeus comes and impregnates you disguised as a swan :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Me. And I used to believe in Santa!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alfster wrote: »
    Exactly, hence there was some leeway in people believing in gods...hence why I don;t look at 'older' people strangely who believe in gods...anyone 40 or under...yup, no reason to think gods exist.

Of course, the reason athiests are now described as shrill/aggressive/loud etc is simply because people who do not believe in gods have now found their voice and are saying 'no' to the influence religion has in defining how society runs rather than allowing secularism to be the thing that is used.

Religious people feel threatened and the higher people in the organisations relise they could be losing power over us all hence they need to push back...they also are just not used to people questioning their beliefs and having to support their views and hence the ad hominem attacks abound

So where do all those non-believers who think "you" are behaving like arses fit into this theory?
This discussion has been closed.