Lost HD channel

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
Forum Member
Here's a strange one.......

About a week ago I lost ITV1 HD. I did a retune, but still no channel. Adjusted the dish (1.2m) with the same result. Then changed the quad lnb for a new one, and still no signal!

All other channels are booming in, including all the HD channels.

There is no signal being received on either tuner on 11097V.

Box is a Humax Foxsat HDR.

I'd appreciate any thoughts. :confused:

Comments

• DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You could try using 11086 V for STV HD and UTV HD, or 11053 H for ITV's newly testing ITV Yorkshire HD and ITV Wales HD.

11053 H is DVB-S2 23000 3/4

11068 V is DVB-S2 23000 2/3

11097 V should work ok in DVB-S2 23000 2/3 but I suppose ITV could have changed it to 3/4 like 11053 H now is.
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    arraknid wrote: »
    Here's a strange one.......

About a week ago I lost ITV1 HD. I did a retune, but still no channel. Adjusted the dish (1.2m) with the same result. Then changed the quad lnb for a new one, and still no signal!

All other channels are booming in, including all the HD channels.

There is no signal being received on either tuner on 11097V.

Box is a Humax Foxsat HDR.

I'd appreciate any thoughts. :confused:

Strange

Correct parameters

11097MHz V 23000 2/3 DVB-S2 8PSK

Your Foxsat should have the correct transponder automatically provided

It's left in sby overnight
    and
    You have reception from the home transponder - can you get channel 999 ?

Note this transponder moved to a UK spot beam end of last month. If you can't get 999 do not try a freesat re-tune as you won't get past the postcode check.

If you select manual tune and locate the above transponder in the list, what's the indicated strength and quality.

TRy adding the above details to the manual transponder list, save and then scan. Do you get the 4 channels ?

Depending on postcode you should have one of the following (all on same transponder) I am assuming you have an English postcode.

119 ITV1 London HD 11097 V
    119 ITV1 Granada HD 11097 V
    119 ITV Meridian South HD 11097 V
    119 ITV1 Central West HD 11097 V
  • REPASSACREPASSAC Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    See you have a 1.2m dish and so not in the U.K.
    I have a 1m dish (France, 32460) and can say that in poor weather the HD channels are lost when the SD channels remain perfect. I guess this is down to the tighter compression (MPEG4) or perhaps the FEC of "8PSK"

Did you adjust Skew - it might be possible to improve signal quality a tad now that 28.5E does not have to be taken into account.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    REPASSAC wrote: »
    See you have a 1.2m dish and so not in the U.K.
    I have a 1m dish (France, 32460) and can say that in poor weather the HD channels are lost when the SD channels remain perfect. I guess this is down to the tighter compression (MPEG4) or perhaps the FEC of "8PSK"

Did you adjust Skew - it might be possible to improve signal quality a tad now that 28.5E does not have to be taken into account.

My money is on the 8PSK modulation. I can't see the H264/AVC compression being an issue it's just a stream of bits as far as the transponder carrier knows. It just happens to squeeze more data into the bits.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/34-hdtv-programming/152479-8psk-v-qpsk.html

8PSK uses less bandwidth for the same data rate, but QPSK is more robust in the presence of noise and distortion. The best choice for a particular application depends on the transmission method, the size of the receiving dish, etc.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    Lotrjw...

I get STV HD and UTV HD OK, but if I change postcode, I'll lose my local progs.

Repassac...

Good guess, I'm in France 82. We've never had a problem until recently. Maybe the heats got something to do with it! I tried the skew with no change.

Graham...

I was born and brought up in Redditch and moved to France 21 years ago. Can't say I miss it!!

All channels are being received including 999. Looking at Lyngsat, it seems that all HD channels are on UK spot beam, so I don't understand why I'm only missing ITV.
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lotrjw...

I was talking about manual tuning it in rather than changing postcode, but you could use a Scottish postcode and change BBC channels to what you want to get some local TV and manually tune in ITV in SD.
    Forum Member
    lotrjw wrote: »
    I was talking about manual tuning it in rather than changing postcode, but you could use a Scottish postcode and change BBC channels to what you want to get some local TV and manually tune in ITV in SD.

I think I'll leave it as it is. I've still got ITV SD after all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lotrjw...

Repassac...

Good guess, I'm in France 82. We've never had a problem until recently. Maybe the heats got something to do with it! I tried the skew with no change.

Graham...

I was born and brought up in Redditch and moved to France 21 years ago. Can't say I miss it!!

All channels are being received including 999. Looking at Lyngsat, it seems that all HD channels are on UK spot beam, so I don't understand why I'm only missing ITV.

Strangely enough my Brother In Law and his wife have just moved back from Briittany after many years and have moved into a bungalow a few doors away. :)

If you scan the transponder using manual tune then it will not affect your Freesat channel line up. The channels will be added to non freesat-mode. You only get ITV if you use a English/Welsh postcode. Using a Scottish postcode gives you STV-HD

Whatever postcode you use you can use customised channels to shift all the BBC variants from the top of the epg to the lower numbers.
  • REPASSACREPASSAC Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lotrjw...

Repassac...

Graham...

You are NE of me. The E would explain the need for a 1.2m dish.
    My only idea of why it is only one HD channel is that ITV are using a lower bit rate.
    I suspect there will be times that you can receive it. What signal quality % do you get on say BBC2 HD?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    REPASSAC wrote: »
    You are NE of me. The E would explain the need for a 1.2m dish.
    My only idea of why it is only one HD channel is that ITV are using a lower bit rate.
    I suspect there will be times that you can receive it. What signal quality % do you get on say BBC2 HD?

ITV-HD bitrates are significantly higher than the BBC channels. The BBC average is around 7Mbs (about the same as the former best SD channels).

Presumably the BBC have more capable encoders and perhaps more effective stat muxing than ITV.
    Forum Member
    OK, I got an old Foxsat HD and plugged it in. That receives ITV 1HD no problem!

I don't understand how it's possible that 2 separate tuners have the same dead spot.

I think I'll put up with it and stick to ITV SD:cry:

Thanks for all the advice guys.