Can a person change from being racist to not racist?

BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
Forum Member
✭✭
Is it something that never changes?

On the Roddy Piper thread there was mention that Hulk Hogan was exposed as a racist, but was seen recently with Mike Tyson, in an attempt to seem less racist I guess?

Is racism a very ingrained belief that is always there?

Comments

• muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think people can learn, change, grow up. It's not as if being a racist is in your DNA, it's a taught behaviour. Some people refuse to change as they go through life, but many people do grow and change and open their minds to new ideas. Depends upon the person.
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've got it in for green-eyed people and always will do. They're just jelas.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they're hardened racists, I have doubts. If they're the average racist, I suppose they could change in the future.
  • LandisLandis Posts: 14,855
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No. Not Really.
    But if they are forced to modify their behaviour by (for example).......the Race Relations Act........I believe that gives hope for their children.
  • dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    In weak moments anyone can be prejudiced and then drop those prejudices moments later. That's just the human condition.

The self righteous don't always live up to the billing and the despicable can often suprise.
  • donovan5donovan5 Posts: 1,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes definitely I know someone who changed,it can also happen the other way unfortunately.
  • OdonataOdonata Posts: 1,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think everyone has the capacity to change. Every experience changes you, and beliefs can be altered by those experiences.

Of course, you have to be willing to change.
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes they can IME. My mother's side (Chinese) were very much against her marrying a white guy and practically disowned her for a while, however over time they have fully accepted him as a member of the family and have no issue with her having mixed-raced kids.
  • Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No I think it can change. I think racism usually stems from ignorance and so if that ignorance is challenged somehow, I expect the views held could alter.

For example if someone disliked a certain race just because their parents did and it was ingrained within them but then they had to work closely with someone of that race and got on well with them and realised they are no different. I think in that situation the racist belief could soften.

EDIT: Or like in PIs case above, if a family member marries someone of that race, it would be similar.
  • jp761jp761 Posts: 33,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Older racists yes. For certain age groups a lot of it is to do with the up bringing, and the way the world was. If these people want to change then yes.
    But young racists probably not, they won't really change. They really should already know better.
  • BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    muggins14 wrote: »
    I think people can learn, change, grow up. It's not as if being a racist is in your DNA, it's a taught behaviour. Some people refuse to change as they go through life, but many people do grow and change and open their minds to new ideas. Depends upon the person.

I think that describes how I feel as well. Most people are a product of their environment/upbringing, my parents were somewhat narrow-minded because they grew up in a very homogenous white culture where immigration was almost exclusively other whites. By the time I went to school it was a pretty mixed bag of races and cultures, but I think my father especially retained his prejudiced views on anyone not white. So while it can be a learned behaviour, kids don't always adopt their parents' outlook. My mom still uses the "P" word on occasion, I don't think she even realizes she shouldn't. I guess like many others she lives in a bit of a bubble (an us vs them kind of mentality) and doesn't want her bubble to burst.
  • too_much_coffeetoo_much_coffee Posts: 2,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In my opinion it's frequently down to education and understanding.

Racism is often connected to a fear of the unknown, differences in culture that are not understood and learnt beliefs from people in authority. No child is born a racist, it is learnt behaviour and can be changed by learning more about other races.

There are, however, some people who just don't want to learn and won't change.
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think using a word makes you racist either, unless it's done with a specific intent. It all depends on your upbringing and how many ethnic folk you know. A white guy growing up in areas of Bham or London, or in my case growing up in Leics, 'racist' words are used amongst groups of friends all the time. It maybe more shocking for someone who's grown up in rural Wales or Norfolk to hear such words, but IMO that's because they have very little real life experience of growing up with a multicultural society.
  • postitpostit Posts: 23,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, if you catch them young enough. Racism is passed down from ill-educated parents.
  • DangermooseDangermoose Posts: 67,729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Sums my thoughts up perfectly :)
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

On the Roddy Piper thread there was mention that Hulk Hogan was exposed as a racist, but was seen recently with Mike Tyson, in an attempt to seem less racist I guess?
    Or maybe Mike Tyson has no issue with being in his company.
  • Monkey TennisMonkey Tennis Posts: 1,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes.

People are not born racist, but for a racist to change into a non racist you would need that person to have the self awareness to know their existing views are ignorant. They would also need a willingness and desire to educate themselves.

You see the same old excuses trotted out for older generations not knowing that certain words for example are racist or widely considered offensive, but for me that's a poor excuse- it's really not all that hard to keep up to date with a few words is it, especially if you have any grasp of the modern world/ the vast amount of information available to everyone at the click of a button.

The old 'but he/ she's from a different generation and doesn't know any better' type of stuff, really doesn't wash.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes. No different from a person going from not being racist to racist, which is also known to happen.
    zx50 wrote: »
    If they're hardened racists, I have doubts. If they're the average racist, I suppose they could change in the future.

I'm not so sure. There's quite a few who renounced their involvement with the KKK, white supremacist / neo Nazi / etc. movements.

I think the most famous is probably Johnny Lee Clary, a wrestler and former KKK wizard. Also T. J. Leyton publicly rejected the skinhead and white power movement during the 1990s. His story partly inspired American History X. [Edited: Sorry, I misspelt his name - T. J. Leyden http://theforgivenessproject.com/stories/tj-leyden-usa]

The twin sisters - Prussian Blue - recently renounced their beliefs and association with the white nationalist / white pride movement, but they haven't given up their scepticism on the Holocaust, though. :/

But yes, I do believe anyone can change or soften their beliefs - whatever those may be and rightly or wrongly - over a period of time.
  • len112len112 Posts: 4,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are people that hate black people but would make an exception say for the one black person for example that might marry into there family . They may say that person is "different to other blacks" . That doesn't make them racist , it makes them stupid in my opinion and if someone's stupid then they're just stupid .
  • NaturalDancerNaturalDancer Posts: 5,149
    Forum Member

Totally agree.
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Forty years ago I had opinions that I had no problem expressing.
    Then I learned, more than once, that I had opinions on matters I had no personal experience of and had upset people I valued.
    I thought abortion was inexcusable back then.
    I talked at length once to a work colleague I admired who told me she'd had a termination at 16 and why she had it.
    I just listened and realised what little I understood.
    I changed over the years, not like a pendulum, I just listened more.
    Not just on that but other matters as well.
  • Bar Bar JinksBar Bar Jinks Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    My best friend is black and we smoke weed together,
    smoking weed is illegal.
  • Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Forty years ago I had opinions that I had no problem expressing.
    Then I learned, more than once, that I had opinions on matters I had no personal experience of and had upset people I valued.
    I thought abortion was inexcusable back then.
    I talked at length once to a work colleague I admired who told me she'd had a termination at 16 and why she had it.
    I just listened and realised what little I understood.
    I changed over the years, not like a pendulum, I just listened more.
    Not just on that but other matters as well.

I have so much respect for people who are able to admit they changed their views on something after realising things aren't as black and white as they once thought. Good for you!
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The old 'but he/ she's from a different generation and doesn't know any better' type of stuff, really doesn't wash.

I agree, given the fact quite a few people from older generations weren't racist or prone to using racist slurs.

One example: John Wooldridge, British film composer and scriptwriter, did awesome things in the RAF during WWII. He was a staunch supporter for a permanent tribute to black Britons who fought and died during WWII. He died during the 1950s (he was only 39 :(), but made a bequest that left some rights of his works including Appointment in London to the National Council for Civil Liberties (now known as Liberty).
  • FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes they can. People's views, attitudes and beliefs change all the time. Whether such people generally do change is another matter.