Options

At last! An excellent episode!

Comments

• Options
    tomwozheretomwozhere Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think all of series 7 part 2 have been good. I really enjoyed this episode but it's definitely not the best for me in this half. That would go to Journey To The Centre Of The TARDIS.
    In fact in order it would be:
    Journey
    Hide
    Cold War/Bells
    Crimson Horror
    Rings

That doesn't mean I didn't like Rings Of Akhaten much, I love it.
    Series 7 part one was excellent and The Snowmen is my favourite Christmas Special. I love series 7.
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My favourite episode in this current run, that's for sure. It felt like proper Doctor Who, and even the Clara stuff was nicely executed, with the callbacks to The Snowmen making sense with actual intrigue instead of me feeling *sigh* 'just tell us who she is!'

Gatiss's best episode?
  • Options
    CallousCallous Posts: 11,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was the worst of this series to be honest. Quite cringworthy at times (some very hammy acting and poor effects).

I guess we all want different things.
  • Options
    sweetazkandisweetazkandi Posts: 2,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My sentiments exactly. Ha a touch of Ghost Ligjt about it for me and Clara reminded me of Nyssa is this to too. Was going to say it is my fave of S7 but it is in fact my fave of all NuWho so far. Really love Jenny this do too, never cared much for her before. And usually the other pair, Strax and Vastra, annoy me but they didn't in this one!! Love seeing Diana Rigg on screen too
  • Options
    JedHawkJedHawk Posts: 442
    Forum Member
    So true, Callous. We do all want different things.
    I second that comment wholeheartedly.

It's fair enough, and there are good points to this episode as there are to others in the series.
    For me, personally, it didn't feel serious. But I have to acknowledge that as a Doctor Who episode I won't be complaining about it. I look forward to the mystery of the arc each week but it doesn't have to be provided in every episode. Some people hate arc and just want the Doctor to explore and interact with other cultures and times.

I will say this, however. I hate symbiotic creatures who need a host. Glad that Ada stabbed it silly at the end!
  • Options
    Whovian1109Whovian1109 Posts: 1,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To each their own, I thought it was probably the worst episode of 7b so far...
  • Options
    ea91ea91 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To each their own, I thought it was probably the worst episode of 7b so far...

I thought a few were poorer (Dinosaurs, Akhaten and Cold War) but when I hear people calling this the best episode of anything I start to wonder if we're watching the same show.
  • Options
    Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bohoboy wrote: »
    I have to agree, that's going to rank in my top 10 of Nu-Who. Can't believe DS gave it 2 stars!

2 stars is a little low, but it's certainly not worth much more than 3.5 or 4 in my opinion.

It wouldn't even make my top 20 best episodes of 'new' Who, in fact it wouldn't make my top 5 of series 7, and I'm really struggling to see what it had that makes people label it as 'best ever', but each to their own of course.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ea91 wrote: »
    I thought a few were poorer (Dinosaurs, Akhaten and Cold War) but I when I hear people calling this the best episode of anything I start to wonder if we're watching the same show.

I really enjoyed Dinosaurs, I thought it was thoroughly enjoyable throughout (and to be fair I did say 7b I think Mercy is worse). I don't think it's much better than Cold War tbh but I adored Rings, particularly on rewatch. I don't think this or Cold War will get any more rewatches (I've rewatched CW once or twice). People are entitled to say this is the best ep in their opinion but I agree with you I personally can't see it. For me, Asylum is lightyears ahead, but then I did LOVE the Clara twist in that one.
  • Options
    Banks246Banks246 Posts: 521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think I have ever hated an episode of Doctor who.

Sure some are better than others, but I have always enjoyed them.
  • Options
    ea91ea91 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really enjoyed Dinosaurs, I thought it was thoroughly enjoyable throughout (and to be fair I did say 7b I think Mercy is worse). I don't think it's much better than Cold War tbh but I adored Rings, particularly on rewatch. I don't think this or Cold War will get any more rewatches (I've rewatched CW once or twice). People are entitled to say this is the best ep in their opinion but I agree with you I personally can't see it. For me, Asylum is lightyears ahead, but then I did LOVE the Clara twist in that one.

I liked Rings of Akhaten. It was completely out-there, literally. But in the context of the show it failed to deliver more than Crimson Horror did. I found Dinosaurs hard to follow and was too distracted after learning after all that time that Rory was a Weasley.
  • Options
    Banks246Banks246 Posts: 521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked Rings of Akhaten. It was completely out-there, literally. But in the context of the show it failed to deliver more than Crimson Horror did. I found Dinosaurs hard to follow and was too distracted after learning after all that time that Rory was a Weasley.

Thank you for this! :D

Made my day!
  • Options
    BadcatBadcat Posts: 3,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Firegazer wrote: »
    I loved all of it except for the ending!

Snap! I suddenly went from "yay!" to "oh god no".

Definitely the best episode of this series so far.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I suppose, I have a real soft spot for both Rings and Dinosaurs, they're not spectacular episodes, but the core of them is so warm and it really appeals to me. Moffat's reign has a history of good second episodes, I also loved The Beast Below and Day of the Moon is one hell of a blockbuster.
  • Options
    codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,683
    Forum Member
    "My opinion is very important, and deserves it's own thread"

There's an episode thread for a reason, guys....
  • Options
    SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "My opinion is very important, and deserves it's own thread"

There's an episode thread for a reason, guys....

Does it really matter that much? Is the forum going to explode?
  • Options
    codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,683
    Forum Member
    Does it really matter that much? Is the forum going to explode?

Just a question of filing really....

If everyone opened a new thread for their opinions on the episode, there'd be no actual discussion as there'd be 100s of threads cluttering up the place....

Everyone in one thread is better for debate as its as if we're all sitting in the pub around one table, not spread out disparately around the room ;)
  • Options
    Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    I loved this episode, definitely one of the best from this series so far.
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked this episode, but it was one of my least favourite of the series.
  • Options
    Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree and, as someone else said, apart from the ending.

That could have been a programme of Dr Who without a companion; the companion was superfluous. It would have been nigh on perfect with the Doctor, Strax, Madame Vastra, Jenny, Ada and Mrs Gillyflower.
  • Options
    bennythedipbennythedip Posts: 2,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have recorded this as usual and have paused it on approx 19 mins and so far it is not very good and that's being kind.will be back with it soon.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was Very Good on first viewing but a rewatch has upgraded it to Excellent. I had missed a few references the first time around.
  • Options
    NoseyLouieNoseyLouie Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member
    It was fantastic imo!

Just watched it :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 370
    Forum Member
    Yes, at last! An excellent episode. These last two weeks have been an excruciatingly long wait.
  • Options
    JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A little puzzled by the "At Last" in thread title. We've had three excellent episodes in a row (imo).