Branson: VM may expand into utilities

Just seen this:
Branson: VM may expand into utilities
Tuesday, February 13 2007, 11:31 GMT
By James Welsh, International Editor
Sir Richard Branson has indicated that Virgin Media may expand its quadplay offering to include utilities such as electricity, gas and water.

Virgin Media's largest individual shareholder told The Telegraph that "it might make sense for Virgin Media to finish off and sort out gas, electricity and water as well" with a unified billing structure, thereby permitting households to receive a single bill for all services.

"But I haven't spoken to anyone about it," he cautioned

from here

You don't think Branson might like to take on the Home Office as well?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Makes sense to me if they can pull it off. I know when my O2 contract expires in may i'll be looking to see what VM can offer me. I'd be happy to pay gas and leccy to VM to if they are competative. Then there's car insurance, house insurance, health insurance, pensions, credit cards....... If they pull all the virgin brands together they can pretty much offer you a one stop shop for 99% of your current services.

If you look at
    http://www.virgin.com/home.aspx

There's currently a tonne of services they could bundle together with VM services.

But like i've said, RB is a very clever bloke, no wonder murdoch is worried.

Hmmm just been thinking, hasn't there been alot of talk recently on getting wireless networks up and running in cities. Wonder if VM could set up some wireless networks in towns covered by it's cable, allowing free access to it's BB/mobile subscribers while out of the house....

Richard... if you're reading this, i'll take 0.01% of all profits for the idea.. thanks :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rattus wrote:
    Makes sense to me if they can pull it off. I know when my O2 contract expires in may i'll be looking to see what VM can offer me. I'd be happy to pay gas and leccy to VM to if they are competative. Then there's car insurance, house insurance, health insurance, pensions, credit cards....... If they pull all the virgin brands together they can pretty much offer you a one stop shop for 99% of your current services.

Very good idea !
    And I have my pet insurance with virgin !
  • sunseekersunseeker Posts: 427
    Forum Member
    richard branson is already putting into action virgin doctor surgeries aswell!

The whole country is gonna be virgin
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sunseeker wrote:
    richard branson is already putting into action virgin doctor surgeries aswell!

The whole country is gonna be virgin

Yep, it's Virgin On The Ridiculous;-)

Cheers,

jahboo
    Forum Member
    It can only mean good things i think everyone will be saving money.

RB turns everything he touches in to a profitable country. He should buy out Npowerthey are a struggling company and turn them around like he does with everything else
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 178
    Forum Member
    sunseeker wrote:
    It can only mean good things i think everyone will be saving money.

RB turns everything he touches in to a profitable country. He should buy out Npowerthey are a struggling company and turn them around like he does with everything else

Miracles he can perform - the impossible is beyond his reach!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 106
    Forum Member
    I thought Virgin has already done the home energy business and been bought out: http://www.electricity-guide.org.uk/virgin-energy.html
    Forum Member
    Andycambs wrote:
    Miracles he can perform - the impossible is beyond his reach!

Well hes going into space next year.

and i wouldnt say any gas company gives good service cos i have been with four and they all were rubbish
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 111
    Forum Member
    Andycambs wrote:
    Just seen this:

from here

You don't think Branson might like to take on the Home Office as well?

Rofl, nice one RB :D I bet that got Skys knickers in a knot! Worth a try you never know Murdock might start snapping up shares in all the utilities lol ( I think we can safely say it was a joke-although you never know what the future might bring)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How quickly we forget, and how Richard never learns his lessons.

This is virgin home Energy product was previously on the market, and ran by London Electricity Group.

People were receiving letters welcoming them to Virgin Home Energy after filling in what they thought was a survey about music and mobile phones was actually a contract.

In 2002, 14 salesmen were sacked after they were discovered by the BBC in a north London library with a copy of the electoral register, forging the signatures of dead constituents on energy supply contracts.

This is why his PR person he says is the highest paid because he done well to keep that quiet.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sunseeker wrote:
    RB turns everything he touches in to a profitable country.
    Like Virgin Cola?:rolleyes:
    Profitable "country"?:confused:
    Forum Member
    Lol what the hell did i mean by county? i dont know where that came from lol! :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Monopoly springs to mind. When they become that big will you all hate Vm like you do sky now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    caldwell wrote:
    How quickly we forget, and how Richard never learns his lessons.

This is virgin home Energy product was previously on the market, and ran by London Electricity Group.

People were receiving letters welcoming them to Virgin Home Energy after filling in what they thought was a survey about music and mobile phones was actually a contract.

In 2002, 14 salesmen were sacked after they were discovered by the BBC in a north London library with a copy of the electoral register, forging the signatures of dead constituents on energy supply contracts.

This is why his PR person he says is the highest paid because he done well to keep that quiet.

Where did he say he wants to team up again with London Electricity/ London Energy/EDF, but even if he did are you suggesting EDF still use the same practices and methods as they did before or that Virgin Media is also in the habit of signing up dead people.

He did indeed learn his lesson which is why he took back the licence to use the Virgin name. Which is exactly what he also said in the interview so perhaps his PR didn't brief him well enough.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Monopoly springs to mind. When they become that big will you all hate Vm like you do sky now.
    Only if they spend billions securing exclusive rights to gas & electricity supplies, forcing you to use Virgin directly or to buy from third parties who themselves have to buy wholesale from Virgin at retail rates and are therefore forced to increase prices or bundle additional services to compete.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 116
    Forum Member
    sunseeker wrote:
    Well hes going into space next year.

wonder if there is any chance he could take David moyes with him and leave him there ......... lol
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flashdisk wrote:
    Only if they spend billions securing exclusive rights to gas & electricity supplies, forcing you to use Virgin directly or to buy from third parties who themselves have to buy wholesale from Virgin at retail rates and are therefore forced to increase prices or bundle additional services to compete.

Price hikes in the west coast rail line springs to mind... :D

Also has branson had the capability to shut down his competition? He tried with pepsi and Coke, he tried with Makeup etc.

An he uses someone that he says represents his company and then in an interview with Grazia Uma Thurman reveals: “I’m TV illiterate. I don’t rush home to watch anything”. Nice PR Branson
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Richard Branson keeps getting the He turns everthing to Gold comment, however why has noone commented that on the last report, Virgin Mobile had Debts of £192,000,000
  • ScottishWoodyScottishWoody Posts: 23,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jahboo wrote:
    Yep, it's Virgin On The Ridiculous;-)

Cheers,

jahboo

:rolleyes: :p

Do you think as Virgin Media customers, we should get discount on Virgin Holidays? That would set the Sky vs Virgin war straight lol
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sunseeker wrote:
    Lol what the hell did i mean by county?
    Dunno, but you originally said "Country"!:p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :rolleyes: :p

Do you think as Virgin Media customers, we should get discount on Virgin Holidays? That would set the Sky vs Virgin war straight lol

Wouldn't mind a discount fortnight on Necker Island;-). Not much chance of that though:(.

I wouldn't be surprised if the VM deal meant that other Virgin companies got good deals for advertising in return for offering discounts on their products exclusively to VM customers and vice versa a la Nectar card.

Cheers,

jahboo