Is EastEnders in crisis?

The Queen VicThe Queen Vic Posts: 5,775
Forum Member
It has recently been reported in the papers that, despite ratings of averaging 8 million, the people behind everyone's favourite London soap opera are locked into crisis talks to discuss ways of turning the show around. But what do you think? Is the show in need of a revamp? Or is it simply being compared to the mighty Coronation Street, who seem to be having some major stories at the moment?

Bryan Kirkwood has received some major critisism on this forum for his era on EastEnders and some fans (emphasis on the word 'some') are calling for him to leave the show. But should he step down as producer and let someone else take over? Or do you think Kirkwood is doing a good job?

It's a simple yes or no question: do you think EastEnders is in crisis? Discuss below.

Is EastEnders in crisis? 95 votes

Yes
63% 60 votes
No
36% 35 votes

Comments

• Our NiallOur Niall Posts: 1,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, it's completely unwatchable for me at the moment. I was glued from 2007-10 but since Kirkwood took over, the decline in quality has been radical. It started with the baby swap for me, which I thought to be a wholly tasteless plot done for sensationalism and it also ruined and effectively lead to the departure of my favourite character Ronnie.
    I tuned in for Pat's death. Other than that I could not force myself to sit through an episode as it's just too poor at the minute. Ratings might be good, but for me the show is currently in the doldrums and yes a revamp and change of EP/writers is needed.
  • RandomPeter94RandomPeter94 Posts: 4,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. BK needs to leave and a new exec with a new team needs to take over. A few characters need to go whilst some GOOD new ones come in. All of the "ruined" characters need saving too.
  • lord.dynamolord.dynamo Posts: 397
    Forum Member
    Tbh I don't think it is crisis, I rekon the papers have just picked up on the opinions of people on message boards and are trying to sell a few extra copies.

I've not been a massive fan of the show recently, but I do think the reaction on here has been quite over the top. I agree when it comes to the direction of some of the characters recently it has been a bit bad, but I don't think it's crisis talks time - maybe just take the characters in different directions or tighten up on some of the writing.
  • thejoyof_patthejoyof_pat Posts: 30,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No I don't. Well, if it is then so are all the soaps such as Emmerdale who failed to hit the 7 million mark on Wednesday. :rolleyes:Just Saying.
  • towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not in crisis but I do think the quality is dropping, too many charaters and too many storylines dissapearing off screen for weeks at a time and there's one too many unlikeable characters. I simply don't care about half the cast at the moment.
  • haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All soaps have peaks and troughs.

I'm getting really bored of threads on here knocking EE and BK. :yawn:
  • gboygboy Posts: 4,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think "crisis" is a bit extreme.

But it's clearly going through one of those 'fallow patches' that blight soaps from time-to-time. It'll pull itself together - they all do (well, *nearly* all...).
  • yourfabulousyourfabulous Posts: 1,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EastEnders has loyal fans but I think BK needs to realise that sooner or later - if the storylines don't improve - the majority of people will give up, like so many already have.
  • priscillapriscilla Posts: 34,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    no, its still getting 7-8 mill viewers
    i think corrie is getting more viewers because its leading up to a whodunnit SL
    yesterday ep was great sharon marshall needs to keep writing for EE
  • Emine.CEmine.C Posts: 113
    Forum Member
    Generally it's going through a dull patch but there are good episodes here and there like last night's.

I wouldn't describe the soap as being in "crisis" as they still have lots of good characters and actors but we do need better storylines.

JMO.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    haphash wrote: »
    All soaps have peaks and troughs.

I'm getting really bored of threads on here knocking EE and BK. :yawn:

I agree to a certain extent but..

EE now has the largest cast size of any soap and it shows - Janine got some decent screentime last night, for the first time in what felt like ages, so did Ian and Mandy. How many actors on the show are getting paid thousands a year, just for a few scenes every couple of months?
    Forum Member
    towers wrote: »
    I agree to a certain extent but..

EE now has the largest cast size of any soap and it shows - Janine got some decent screentime last night, for the first time in what felt like ages, so did Ian and Mandy. How many actors on the show are getting paid thousands a year, just for a few scenes every couple of months?
    There are 59 regular characters in Corrie (not counting babies and children) versus 43 for EE.

I haven't looked at Emmerdale because I never watch it.
  • CherryRoseCherryRose Posts: 13,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EE as show is not in "crsis" but it is in need of improving it's quality of writing on the show.

In simple terms EE is far away from being as good as it used to be.

What's the answer to solving it's slump in quality is to improve areas such as writing, cast/characters, realistic believeable well researched stories.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    No I don't. Well, if it is then so are all the soaps such as Emmerdale who failed to hit the 7 million mark on Wednesday. :rolleyes:Just Saying.

Emmerdale performed as normal.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Emine.C wrote: »
    There are 59 regular characters in Corrie (not counting babies and children) versus 43 for EE.

I haven't looked at Emmerdale because I never watch it.

How many of the 59 are key cast though?

Maybe EE just needs to use its cast better. I will admit that Janine's storyline is one of the few that I'm genuinely interested in at the moment - along with the Masoods - but both she and Tamwar/Afia have been given far less screentime since Christmas than the likes of Derek, Anthony, Tyler, Whitney etc and whilst I do like Derek, Anthony and Whitney - not so much Tyler - I don't want them on my screen every other episode, whilst other storylines are being neglected. I don't care who Roxy is currently sleeping with - same old, same old - I want to know how Janine really feels about being a mum.

That's my rant for today... :)
  • Yoshi FanYoshi Fan Posts: 13,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not in crisis but I do think the quality is dropping, too many charaters and too many storylines dissapearing off screen for weeks at a time and there's one too many unlikeable characters. I simply don't care about half the cast at the moment.

I second what towers said. It's far from being in "crisis", but it needs to improve quickly because if it doesn't, it WILL be in crisis. Even the most loyal, long-serving viewers aren't going to tolerate this tosh for much longer.

Despite the fact I don't think it's in crisis just yet, Kirkwood does needs to go. His reign has been a disaster and I see no sign of it improving.
  • hetty100hetty100 Posts: 4,873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its not in crises yet, but is heading that way, and its good the papers have picked up on this.
  • SuperSoaperSuperSoaper Posts: 5,724
    Forum Member
    I don't think it's in crisis but I think plots have been a bit plodding lately and don't really go anywhere. I really don't care about the Moon brothers at all, and yet they are dominating the screen. Certain characters I really like are getting hardly any air time while ones that are two-dimensional are given extra priority. Why?
    Forum Member
    SULLA wrote: »
    Emmerdale performed as normal.
    The day 6m becomes the norm for Emmerdale will be a sad day for the show and its fans.
  • The PuzzlerThe Puzzler Posts: 7,689
    Forum Member
    No, but it needs to concentrate more on Derek's storylines.
  • DynopiaDynopia Posts: 1,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, it's been quite good lately :-S
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No.

But I admit I have for the main part stopped watching-its not engaging me any more, its like its heart has been torn out and I fed up (when I do watch) of the focus being mostly on irritating poor actors (The Moon brother's), teenage woes and who fancies who. then we have yet another pantomime gangster running around.

Teenage woes are fine, but there has to be a balance-like they used to do so well, especially in the early day's (Michelle, Sharon etc) and at other point's.

Character's like Denise are being wasted (this is lady who is a fine actor so what are they doing with her?) and I beginning to wonder wether Sharon coming back is a good idea.

And I think the Moons are wrong for the Vic-put Phil back in or let Sharon buy it again-or manage it. Or bring a new landlady/landlord in.

Oh and get rid of Kirkwood-he's dire. .
  • twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I stopped watching a couple of months back and picked it back up a few weeks ago.

(Did Roxy ever find out Phil stole her money :eek:)

Anyway since switching back on I have found myself laughing a lot. There has been some great comedy moments recently, something lacking when I switched off.
    Forum Member
    How many of the 59 are key cast though? :)
    It depends how you define key cast. I mostly just counted the characters who get dialogue and who feature regularly. A lot of those Corrie characters won't get major storylines admittedly.

I did also count characters who were leaving eg. Amira for EE so when she goes there will be even less characters in EE.

I think you've hit the nail on the head suggesting it's the way the cast is utilised rather than the no. of characters. I mean was the cast any smaller when Santer was there? It's not like there have been no cast departures under BK.

There are some characters in EastEnders who have been neglected recently like the Masoods but even the ones still getting major storylines aren't being used as well as they could be.
  • doormouse1doormouse1 Posts: 5,431
    Forum Member
    Tbh I don't think it is crisis, I rekon the papers have just picked up on the opinions of people on message boards and are trying to sell a few extra copies.

I've not been a massive fan of the show recently, but I do think the reaction on here has been quite over the top. I agree when it comes to the direction of some of the characters recently it has been a bit bad, but I don't think it's crisis talks time - maybe just take the characters in different directions or tighten up on some of the writing.

I agree totally with this post.

It was a slow news day, and lazy tabloid hacks went cruising onto forums such as this one, and saw numerous threads (from the usual suspects) moaning about how bad Eastenders is.

These threads are usually started by a handful of people and then quickly bulked out by lots of other people adding ther tuppence-worth - some of whom seldom post on any other threads concerning Eastenders, as they are probably fans of other soaps and jumping on the 'lets-bash-Eastenders' bandwagon.

Okay, the soap HAS been in better shape, but it is in no way 'in crisis' or terminal - the furore is largely press hype designed to sell more papers.

Also, don;t forget that there were a whole slew of negative Eastenders threads recently which were allk attributable to one sad individual with multiple usernames for the site. I'm sure he/she helped to encourage a lot of the negativity here.