Options

Last Tango in Halifax Tue, Nov 20 · 21:00-22:00 · BBC One (HD)

Comments

• Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope the BBC remember to enter this for the BAFTAS,Anne Reid and Derek Jacobi have been superb.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Absolutely loved this series , good mix of drama and realistic comedic moments , it had that feel of the Sunday night feelgood programmes we used to get and are much missed. I am looking forward to the second series.

I loved the phone call when Anne Reid said " tell him to eff off " and Sarah Lancashire said " my mother sends her regards" it tickled me as its so true to how we behave in real life
  • Options
    BenllechBenllech Posts: 2,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That Jon is my favorite character, just makes me chuckle how much of a pompous berk he is!
  • Options
    NosaerNosaer Posts: 3,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is what the BBC do best, a little gem of a drama, the writing is superb and all the actors brilliant. Can't wait for series 2.
  • Options
    jonjonsjonjons Posts: 4,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What an amazing show, well acted, well scripted, well characterized-ive really enjoyed the series, its great for the winter

It deserves awards

Whats special about it, is that it is not big stunts, its a very simple idea and its drawn big audiences is kind of like the great british bake off. Its a beautiful programme
  • Options
    Killary45Killary45 Posts: 1,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Benllech wrote: »
    That Jon is my favorite character, just makes me chuckle how much of a pompous berk he is!

Have you seen Fresh Meat? Tony Gardner plays a similar character in that.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Own up, who cried? :o

Me!!! I actually sobbed as I couldn't hold it in any longer - and then noticed my daughter was crying too!:D

This is the best thing I have seen on Tv for a very long time - I absolutely loved it. So glad it is coming back - I hope all the original cast are in it as each and every one were brilliant! Anne Reid and Derek Jacobi were wonderful but everyone else played a great part. Loved Paul sitting reading the land rover manual and his little comments and Sarah Lancashire's comic timing was perfect :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 176
    Forum Member
    just watched the last one and I cried!

I found this on iplayer and was glued immediately!

UK drama's have been bad for a while and the recent ITV attempts were dismal, but this was brilliant, totally enjoyable to watch. A+ to the beeb :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    Did you ever see her in Corrie as Raquel? She was awesome and played the part to perfection. I still remember her having French lessons from Ken Barlow and the night Curly Watts took her outside to show her the star he'd bought her was amazing.

shes been a fab actor in many things "Rose and Maloney"

Total gem of a programme well done to the beeb
  • Options
    nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    This could have so easily been cloying 'heartwarming' fare, but the performances - Sarah Lancashire and Anne Reid in particular - really lifted it to something special. There was the odd tiresome plot trick (think the car chase in episode 1 and the haunted house last week), but on the whole Sally Wainwright has really done well to create such a believable and layered script. I thought the scene where Caroline told Celia to 'F*** off' was startling and brilliantly played; I liked the contrast between Caroline's usual calm professional air and the way in which her mother's criticism suddenly made her revert to almost-teenage defensiveness. I also thought Celia's reaction to the lesbianism was very believable - many dramas tend to simplify such issues nowadays, but it was good to see an honest depiction the kind of struggles someone of Celia's generation would have with the idea.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    Me!!! I actually sobbed as I couldn't hold it in any longer - and then noticed my daughter was crying too!:D

This is the best thing I have seen on Tv for a very long time - I absolutely loved it. So glad it is coming back - I hope all the original cast are in it as each and every one were brilliant! Anne Reid and Derek Jacobi were wonderful but everyone else played a great part. Loved Paul sitting reading the land rover manual and his little comments and Sarah Lancashire's comic timing was perfect :D
    A,,, mazing!!! this was the best i have seen for some time on the BBC!!! The acting really was something else.My whole family were totally engrossed in the story line, a whole hour of sitting totally transfixed by this wonderfully romantic story. Sarah Lancaster was superb, along with ALL the cast. Cant wait for this to return:)
  • Options
    teresagreenteresagreen Posts: 16,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nw0307 wrote: »
    I live in the countryside outside Halifax. The views when I look out my window are beautiful. I feel the Calder valley is Yorkshire's little secret

Not for much longer I suspect. This drama will probably do more for tourism than any advertisements could. The views are breathtaking.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This has been an excellent series. Great writing and great acting. I hope it wins lots of awards. Nicola Walker was outstanding.She should get best supporting actress award. That scene in the hospital when she was talking to Celia outside her dad's room made me cry. can't wait for second series.
  • Options
    NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    teabag444 wrote: »
    Nicola Walker was outstanding.
    I thought so too - and I loved (and totally believed in) the relationship she and her dad shared.
  • Options
    shirlt9shirlt9 Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    fickrick wrote: »
    shes been a fab actor in many things "Rose and Maloney"

Total gem of a programme well done to the beeb

Loved ight back to when she first appeared in Clocking Off..this series showcased some of the most succesful acotrs and actresses we have..Christopher ecclestone,,david morrisey,.john simm,,philip glenister,leslie sharp to name just a few..if you have never seen it it is often repeated on a couple of sky channels..definitely worth a watch.

CLOCKING OFF ON CBS NOW..FLICKING THOUGH CHANNELS AND JUST FOUND IT ..HOW WEIRD.
  • Options
    Kaz159Kaz159 Posts: 11,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    I really liked Sarah in "All The Small Things". I really wish they made another series of that.

And me, loved that programme.

I've loved every minute of Last Tango in Halifax and it came as a wonderful surprise last night that they are doing a second series (not been on the thread for ages).

Ann Reid and Derek Jacobi are just wonderful and I've enjoyed all the other characters.

It's made me laugh and cry in equal measure - just quality.
  • Options
    Adam14Adam14 Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved this series so much too! Everything was excellent, especially the acting - Anne Reid was fabulous, all of them were. I loved how the other side of Celia came out. The dinner party scene was so intense. Just an amazing show.

Can't wait for Series 2 :)
  • Options
    JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Normandie wrote: »
    I thought so too - and I loved (and totally believed in) the relationship she and her dad shared.

Nicola's so good and underrated. I can't take Sarah Lancashire seriously in much but she did well in the last episode. I found Anne Reid too good and uncomfortable when she was being horrible and Derek Jacobi has been fantastic throughout.
  • Options
    RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's like watching an hour long episode of Emmerdale on the BBC.

Superb actors, but be honest - it's a bit dull isn't it?
  • Options
    shandersshanders Posts: 5,907
    Forum Member
    It's like watching an hour long episode of Emmerdale on the BBC.

You are so wrong! Since when has Emmerdale had such intense acting?
  • Options
    AquajaneyAquajaney Posts: 519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved it, I thought all the principal characters were beautifully portrayed and I was able to sympathise with their plight. (even Celia's problem with Caroline, you could say that she wanted her to have the happy marriage she didn't, but I think deep down she always just wanted her own way and was very bitter.)
    I thought Gillian was brilliant in showing how needy and desperate to be loved by anyone however unsuitable, presumably because of her abusive marriage because her relationship with her father was fantastic.
    In fact the only people who grated were Ronnie Ancona (although she improved in the final episode, slightly) and the teacher who set out to blackmail Caroline, the rest of the cast were sublime,
  • Options
    NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I perhaps know what you mean because I usually watch things like Homeland, NCIS, The Hour, Secret State, Sherlock - where there are plots (frequently preposterous plots) relating to stuff of national or international importance.

However, I can still watch - and appreciate - well-written, beautifully observed and acted domestic drama (not soaps!) and Last Tango really worked for me. It's a different pace of drama but just as welcome and rewarding as more frantic series.
  • Options
    bramley29bramley29 Posts: 238
    Forum Member
    It started off well but by the end I couldn't have cared less about the characters. I gave up halfway through the last episode having decided that I didn't want to waste another half hour of my life on it.
  • Options
    Lisa_NaylorLisa_Naylor Posts: 827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aquajaney wrote: »
    I loved it, I thought all the principal characters were beautifully portrayed and I was able to sympathise with their plight. (even Celia's problem with Caroline, you could say that she wanted her to have the happy marriage she didn't, but I think deep down she always just wanted her own way and was very bitter.)
    I thought Gillian was brilliant in showing how needy and desperate to be loved by anyone however unsuitable, presumably because of her abusive marriage because her relationship with her father was fantastic.
    In fact the only people who grated were Ronnie Ancona (although she improved in the final episode, slightly) and the teacher who set out to blackmail Caroline, the rest of the cast were sublime,

I actually liked Judith, she was funny. And she became quite sweet in the 2nd to last episode. I was amused by how we heard her and Caroline had even sort of become friends in the last episode. I'd like Judith back in series 2, I really do think every character adds something to the magic of the show.

I want to see where all of them are taken in the next series, they left it so all could be continued.
  • Options
    MR. MacavityMR. Macavity Posts: 3,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bramley29 wrote: »
    It started off well but by the end I couldn't have cared less about the characters. I gave up halfway through the last episode having decided that I didn't want to waste another half hour of my life on it.

Posts like the above always make me chortle :)

Excellent series, the last episode a real rarity in that it was a well-judged climax and yet sets everything up nicely for 2nd series.

The flash-back scene when Alan was in a coma / sedation was outstanding and very moving. Really made me think about love, the passing of time and how your life can turn on a sixpence without you realising it until many years later.......