Options

Someone Else's Cat...

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,466
Forum Member
✭✭✭
...is coming into our house at night and pooing on our stairs.

Bit of background: We have a cat who never messes indoors. Since just before Christmas another cat has been hanging around the back door. It has a collar, so isn't a stray. We've never fed it, petted it or encouraged it in any way. For the past few weeks, it has been getting in at night and pooing in the same place at the top of our stairs regularly. It's driving me crazy!

I think it has a magnetic collar, like my cat, so can get in through our cat flap. It's not eating my cat's food or anything, it's just coming in to do that one thing!

I've caught it in the act a few times and chased it out of my house, but I'm always too late.

I've tried locking the cat flap one way, so my cat can he out in the night but nothing (including her) can get back in. That's fine, but this morning when I unlocked the cat flap and got in the shower for 5mins, the bloody cat had come in, shit on the stairs and got out again.

Every time it does it, it then proceeds to cry in my back garden for 15mins.

I can't find any solutions online that won't affect my cat (deterrent sprays, etc)

Any help appreciated, I'm at my wits end!

Comments

• Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can get cat flaps that are registered to your cats chip so only he can use it. They are quite pricey though - 80 odd quids.
    example
  • Options
    SilverCrownSilverCrown Posts: 1,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A male cat comes in through our kitchen window and sprays his stuff everywhere so it really smells.

When we catch him trying to come in, we squirt him with some water, and he runs off. He hasn't done it for a few weeks since we started to spray him with water, so maybe if you catch that cat in the act, try squirting it with some water.

Note: We don't hurt the cat with water.:p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks all.

I cannot believe what happened last night. My bloody cat has started to copy the other one!! I caught MY cat doing the exact same thing last night. Could she be marking her territory?

I'm now at a loss as to what to do. I heard laying tin foil helps? I don't particularly want to cover my stairs in the stuff, but needs must!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SourCherry wrote: »
    Thanks all.

I cannot believe what happened last night. My bloody cat has started to copy the other one!! I caught MY cat doing the exact same thing last night. Could she be marking her territory?

I'm now at a loss as to what to do. I heard laying tin foil helps? I don't particularly want to cover my stairs in the stuff, but needs must!

If you have only caught your cat in the act, is it possible it was your cat all along?

If not, then yes I'd imagine she is covering the other cats scent with her own. If I were you I'd block up the cat flap, or only allow access downstairs if it's open. Spray the other cat with water if it comes near your door.

Feliway plug-ins are supposed to help stressed cats.
  • Options
    flakecakeflakecake Posts: 1,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm also wondering if it has been your cat all along. With the other cat hanging around outside, your cat may be nervous about going out, getting a bit stressed. It just seems really strange to me that a strange cat would come all the in from the outside, not bother with food stealing or anything, just to poo at the top of your stairs and run off again.
  • Options
    ScrubberScrubber Posts: 4,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks all.

I can't believe what i'm reading. It was OBVIOUSLY your cat doing it all along.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What about the bit "I've caught it in the act a few times..." ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scrubber wrote: »
    I can't believe what i'm reading. It was OBVIOUSLY your cat doing it all along.
    Summat wrote: »
    What about the bit "I've caught it in the act a few times..." ?

I've caught the other cat doing it.
  • Options
    gamzattiwoogamzattiwoo Posts: 3,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...is coming into our house at night and pooing on our stairs.

Bit of background: We have a cat who never messes indoors. Since just before Christmas another cat has been hanging around the back door. It has a collar, so isn't a stray. We've never fed it, petted it or encouraged it in any way. For the past few weeks, it has been getting in at night and pooing in the same place at the top of our stairs regularly. It's driving me crazy!

I think it has a magnetic collar, like my cat, so can get in through our cat flap. It's not eating my cat's food or anything, it's just coming in to do that one thing!

I've caught it in the act a few times and chased it out of my house, but I'm always too late.

I've tried locking the cat flap one way, so my cat can he out in the night but nothing (including her) can get back in. That's fine, but this morning when I unlocked the cat flap and got in the shower for 5mins, the bloody cat had come in, shit on the stairs and got out again.

Every time it does it, it then proceeds to cry in my back garden for 15mins.

I can't find any solutions online that won't affect my cat (deterrent sprays, etc)

Any help appreciated, I'm at my wits end!

I sympathise with your problem not sure what you can do except take the cat to the vet and see if it has a chip and trace the owner.But don't be sure just because it has a collar it isn't a stray.My friend has just lost her cat a week ago and he has a collar and is chipped and she is desparate to find him.Trouble is he is out of his own neighbourhood as was in a friends flat when he escaped.