The Ratings Thread (Part 57)

Comments

• SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    lewiep93 wrote: »
    As I said yesterday, overnights are increasingly irrelevant. ;-)
    BOAF's official ratings have been dropping too. Why didnt they accept BBC's offer for TWO Christmas specials? The producers should've chosen the BBC. Two christmas specials would've given them even bigger audiences and a better platform to rate higher for any subsequent series. BOAF is a BBC show, it shouldnt be on Itv. It's extremely frustrating to see this happen.
  • xeoxeo Posts: 6,429
    Forum Member
    SamuelW wrote: »
    BOAF's official ratings have been dropping too. Why didnt they accept BBC's offer for TWO Christmas specials? The producers should've chosen the BBC. Two christmas specials would've given them even bigger audiences and a better platform to rate higher for any subsequent series. BOAF is a BBC show, shouldnt be on Itv. It's extremely frustrating to see this happen.

They didn't want to do two Christmas specials - they wanted a series so went to the broadcaster offering one. It's not hard to understand! The BBC's loss really.
  • SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    xeo wrote: »
    They didn't want to do two Christmas specials - they wanted a series so went to the broadcaster offering one. It's not hard to understand! The BBC's loss really.
    But the BBC would've probably given them a series anyway, after the xmas specials aired to audiences of 8m+. Their lack of patience and disloyalty will bite them in the arse in the end.
  • cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pound Wars down to 4.35m. Does Samuel still want 26 of them? :D

Good to see George Gently increase. A very good show. Helped that they're starting it after Emmerdale.

Birds Of A Feather still doing good numbers, great rating for Benidorm and BBC2 having a good night.
  • xeoxeo Posts: 6,429
    Forum Member
    But the BBC would've probably given them a series anyway, after the xmas specials aired to audiences of 8m+. Their lack of patience and disloyalty will bite them in the arse in the end.

If they wanted I'm sure ITV would have given them Christmas specials to air over the Christmas period which would have rated just as well as on the BBC - people don't watch programmes depending on which channel they're on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly! Miranda and Mrs Brown (which I absolutely LOVE) dropped viewers last year from the launches.

As I said yesterday, overnights are increasingly irrelevant. ;-)

Mrs Brown's Boys was up for its third series though. Every Monday night episode cleared 9m. Lewis helped keep the ratings down.
  • iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I don't imagine anyone at the BBC is losing any sleep over the decision.

It's only Samuel who's bugged, using any mathematical formula he can to try to prove that the Birds revival is a flop.
  • lewiep93lewiep93 Posts: 5,880
    Forum Member
    cylon6 wrote: »
    Mrs Brown's Boys was up for its third series though. Every Monday night episode cleared 9m. Lewis helped keep the ratings down.

Yeah sorry about that. :blush:
  • tobitobi Posts: 2,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UK TV Ratings ‏@TVRatingsUK 21s
    #InspectorGeorgeGently increased its audience to 5.49m/23.6% yesterday. Not enough to beat Benidorm though which drew 5.78m/24.9%, up 550k.
    Good. Really enjoyed Benidorm last night. Joan Collins was great.
  • Wozza20Wozza20 Posts: 2,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BOAF's official ratings have been dropping too. Why didnt they accept BBC's offer for TWO Christmas specials? The producers should've chosen the BBC. Two christmas specials would've given them even bigger audiences and a better platform to rate higher for any subsequent series. BOAF is a BBC show, it shouldnt be on Itv. It's extremely frustrating to see this happen.

Just accept that the BBC made the wrong decision in ratings terms for not picking this up. The producers picked the broadcaster who gave them what they wanted and it's been a roaring success.

The producers of Upstairs Downstairs (an ITV programme) went to the BBC after ITV declined a series. If it had have been more successful, would you have been saying "this isn't right, it should be on ITV".

The only good thing to come out of a two week break for BOAF is that you will not be on here looking for ways to call BOAF a failing show every Friday which is really getting tiresome now. It's a hit, just accept it. When is the last time any broadcaster had a sitcom pre-watershed that rated every episode over 5m viewers?
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wozza20 wrote: »
    Just accept that the BBC made the wrong decision in ratings terms for not picking this up. The producers picked the broadcaster who gave them what they wanted and it's been a roaring success.

The producers of Upstairs Downstairs (an ITV programme) went to the BBC after ITV declined a series. If it had have been more successful, would you have been saying "this isn't right, it should be on ITV".

The only good thing to come out of a two week break for BOAF is that you will not be on here looking for ways to call BOAF a failing show every Friday which is really getting tiresome now. It's a hit, just accept it. When is the last time any broadcaster had a sitcom pre-watershed that rated every episode over 5m viewers?

Talking of lost opportunities, Tony Warren went to the BBC first with Coronation Street but never heard back from them so turned to Granada. And Decca records told the Beatles they'd never make it.
  • guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    Soap Ratings

19:00 Emmerdale - 6.58m (31.5%) +1: 129k (0.6%)
    19:30 EastEnders - 7.39m (33.8%) BBC3: 431k (2.8%)
    20:00 Emmerdale - 6.7m (29.9%) +1: 167k (0.7%)

Not great all round, but after seeing the Today at the Games rating I expected EE to be lower.
  • Wozza20Wozza20 Posts: 2,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Talking of lost opportunities, Tony Warren went to the BBC first with Coronation Street but never heard back from them so turned to Granada. And Decca records told the Beatles they'd never make it.

Great!!!

Coming out with facts like this will have Samuel declaring it is unfair that Corrie is the most watched soap as it should be on the BBC. :)
  • oathyoathy Posts: 32,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BOAF was so funny last night.
    It had more one Liners in one episode than all the previous new eps.
  • dave01dave01 Posts: 1,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pound Shop Wars - 4.35million

Looks as though it won't be such a big rater in the long term. 2nd Emmerdale higher than the first Emmerdale this week too.
  • lewiep93lewiep93 Posts: 5,880
    Forum Member
    Summary of Birds of a Feather ratings (exc/inc +1)
    Episode                Overnight     Share         Official      Timeshift
    Episode 1 (02 Jan 14)  7.54m/7.82m   30.7%/31.8%   9.20m/9.52m   1.66m/1.70m
    Episode 2 (09 Jan 14)  6.77m/6.90m   28.4%/28.9%   8.42m/8.61m   1.65m/1.71m
    Episode 3 (16 Jan 14)  5.93m/6.17m   24.5%/25.5%   7.36m/7.65m   1.43m/1.48m
    Episode 4 (23 Jan 14)  6.32m/6.50m   27.2%/28.0%   7.69m/7.96m   1.38m/1.46m
    Episode 5 (30 Jan 14)  5.87m/6.01m   20.2%/20.8%   7.26m/7.45m   1.39m/1.44m
    Episode 6 (06 Feb 14)  5.34m/5.44m   22.5%/23.0%
    Episode 7 (13 Feb 14)  5.36m/5.46m   22.8%/23.2%

Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Soap Ratings

19:00 Emmerdale - 6.58m (31.5%) +1: 129k (0.6%)
    19:30 EastEnders - 7.39m (33.8%) BBC3: 431k (2.8%)
    20:00 Emmerdale - 6.7m (29.9%) +1: 167k (0.7%)

Not great all round, but after seeing the Today at the Games rating I expected EE to be lower.

Considering what The Winter Olympics got on BBC2 I was expecting EastEnders to be under 7m.
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,672
    Forum Member
    dave01 wrote: »
    Pound Shop Wars - 4.35million

Looks as though it won't be such a big rater in the long term.
    What, you mean the 26 part run isn't going to happen?!

Devastating news.
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,672
    Forum Member
    Via Digital Spy:
    On ITV2, The Big Reunion dropped over 100k from last week to 324k (1.4%) at 9pm.

For all this looked unlikely to be a returning hit, I have to say I'm surprised at just how much of a turnoff it's proving to be. Last night's episode was down a jawdropping 71% on the equivalent episode last series.
  • Joe40Joe40 Posts: 1,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Olympics moves to BBC1 from 4.30pm.
  • NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    cylon6 wrote: »
    Considering what The Winter Olympics got on BBC2 I was expecting EastEnders to be under 7m.

Yes, nudging 34% is very decent in the circumstances. A fair bit of same-day timeshift at work here I imagine; the shows were early enough to catch up on.
  • garyessexgaryessex Posts: 9,083
    Forum Member
    Dancc wrote: »
    Via Digital Spy:

For all this looked unlikely to be a returning hit, I have to say I'm surprised at just how much of a turnoff it's proving to be. Last night's episode was down a jawdropping 71% on the equivalent episode last series.

It was a novelty last year and had some groups which were quite well known, Atomic Kitten, Blue, 5ive etc. This year who relly gives a shit about Damage & Girl Thing?
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,987
    Forum Member
    garyessex wrote: »
    It was a novelty last year and had some groups which were quite well known, Atomic Kitten, Blue, 5ive etc. This year who relly gives a shit about Damage & Girl Thing?

The problem is last nights was Eternal and A1, the two biggest bands of this series, and it was down that much. God knows how 5th Story and the other group is going to rate
  • grahamzxygrahamzxy Posts: 11,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If they wanted I'm sure ITV would have given them Christmas specials to air over the Christmas period which would have rated just as well as on the BBC - people don't watch programmes depending on which channel they're on.

That is partially correct but often switching channels will reflect in the viewing figures. BoaF & BB spring to mind.
  • grahamzxygrahamzxy Posts: 11,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wozza20 wrote: »

BoaF is doing okay, but it inherited a legacy from the previous series and viewers were keen to see it back (in lesser numbers) but now about 25% have given up on it. A further renewal may not get 5.0m viewers overnight. Although it is still worth a renewal as ITV need to boost comedy output not lessen it.
This discussion has been closed.