The Ratings Thread (Part 60)

Comments

• AnthonyCAnthonyC Posts: 2,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James J wrote: »
    If this game were on BBC One, Suarez wouldn't have scored.

Im being petty and not watching cos its on ITV. Hows it going? England winning? :-)
  • dave01dave01 Posts: 1,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    *Steve Williams klaxon*

What was the last England World Cup game that was meaningless?

ITV might just be having the next meaningless England World Cup game this upcoming Tuesday...

Technically we can still qualify even if we lose tonight, so long as Italy beat Costa Rica and Uruguay and then we beat Costa Rica by a large margin next Tuesday. It ain't looking good though.

So long as there is only one goal in it, ratings should remain high tonight however.
  • ChrisEChrisE Posts: 1,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blimey itv nearly got a bit of punditry during half time.
  • Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As just confirmed by Clive it was 1958, so in terms of modern TV, basically it has never happened. Although of course there has been years when they didn't qualify at all.
  • Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dave01 wrote: »
    Technically we can still qualify even if we lose tonight, so long as Italy beat Costa Rica and Uruguay and then we beat Costa Rica by a large margin next Tuesday. It ain't looking good though.

So long as there is only one goal in it, ratings should remain high tonight however.

They would hardly deserve to imo. And Uruguay only has 3.4 million population-and currently all over us.

If England do go out prior to Tuesday, it would be a fascinating rating.
  • NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    This peak is going to be something else.
  • Philip WilsonPhilip Wilson Posts: 1,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NeilVW wrote: »
    This peak is going to be something else.

And it could be so much more but for that blasted ITV weekly reach crisis! ;-) :D
  • Ice dragon1Ice dragon1 Posts: 19,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not looking good for England.
  • SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    Steve Williams ‏@SkillageSteve 1m
    Since beating Kuwait in 1982, England have won one World Cup match exclusively live on ITV, vs Trinidad in 2006

The Curse of Itv strikes again
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Viewing figures will be dropping like a stone now, affecting the full programme average which will be the rating that is focused on tommorow. It will be blamed on the ITV reach crisis.
  • SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    Tomorrows Italy v Costa Rica match is going to have lots of interest now that England fans will be cheering on Italy to win their last two games. Hopefully it rates very well for the Beeb.

Think tonights game will just about hit the 23m peak mark for the 21.45-21.50 period.
  • BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    England boom and bust cycle intact.
    Forum Member
    Joe Hart in his shampoo ad optimistically thinks it will come down to penalties for England.
  • scotchscotch Posts: 10,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »
    Tomorrows Italy v Costa Rica match is going to have lots of interest now that England fans will be cheering on Italy to win their last two games. Hopefully it rates very well for the Beeb.

Think tonights game will just about hit the 23m peak mark for the 21.45-21.50 period.

For sure.

Italy game tomorrow is vital. They have to win.
  • FuddFudd Posts: 166,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Steve Williams ‏@SkillageSteve 1m
    Since beating Kuwait in 1982, England have won one World Cup match exclusively live on ITV, vs Trinidad in 2006

The Curse of Itv strikes again

We're only in this mess because we lost a match which aired exclusively on BBC One. ;):p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 478
    Forum Member

23m, I doubt that very much. I can't see it going above 15m at the very most.

Tomorrow's Costa Rica game will be interesting for viewing figures as that game could seal England's fate.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joe Hart in his shampoo ad optimistically thinks it will come down to penalties for England.

I'm not sure the live odds betting ad was entirely on message either, particularly as they avoided the elephant in the room - England to qualify 100/1 bet in play now!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The Beeb could be commentating themselves out of an England match for at least two years :D

EDIT: maybe more :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JFoster1 wrote: »

Tomorrow's Costa Rica game will be interesting for viewing figures as that game could seal England's fate.

He is talking about the peak-which should be over 20 million.
    Forum Member
    JFoster1 wrote: »

Saturday's match went as high as 15.65m (5-minute peak) at twenty to midnight on Saturday.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I cant imagine these adverts on ITV now are making much of an impact :D
  • D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I imagine that the first ratings number tomorrow that I'll be posting will begin with a 2....
    ...but that'll be the full list of BBC One's ratings rather than the England peak. ;)
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Let's hope he's not in goal then
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,804
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd go for an average of 18 million tonight, probably dragged down by viewers switching off afer the final whistle. However, still very impressive and ITV could still get the rating of the year.
    OTOH, there is a very remote chance England could still qualify and if this chance is still possible on Tuesday, then another huge rating, possibly beating this one tonight is possible. ITV would be delighted to have the top two ratings this year.
    Then there's the dead rubber scenario, where Italy and Costa Rica draw and England are out, and next Tuesday's game rates like a friendly. It is very unlikely England can get through, but we never know.
    Forum Member
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    I imagine that the first ratings number tomorrow that I'll be posting will begin with a 2....
    ...but that'll be the full list of BBC One's ratings rather than the England peak. ;)

Quite possibly but it won't be for want of trying, with an all-new line-up. I was expecting something like a chick-flick repeat on BBC One.
This discussion has been closed.