Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 60)

Comments

• Options
    daisiesfandaisiesfan Posts: 2,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »
    Its going to disappointment in the ratings and be the new Titanic. Itv will hype it loads for weeks, if not months upon end. People will expect great special effects, huge action scenes etc. But based on that clip and what we've heard so far, there will hardly be any scenes with the fire in it. Also like Titanic, they will be showing the same story from different character's perspectives in each episode, so it will be repetitive. Expect its ratings to fall a lot throughout the run. If we've learnt anything from analysing ratings, it is that a normal bog standard crime drama will tend to rate better than a heavily hyped non-crime drama series which doesnt live up to expectations.

Psychic now are ya?
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    Itv Encore share for its first week was only 0.2%, that's very low!

Surprised you didn't point out Encore's weekly reach: 2.6% (1.50m). Now that is a crisis! ;-)
  • Options
    SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    daisiesfan wrote: »
    Psychic now are ya?
    Ill be proven right, mark my words.
  • Options
    jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From a ratings perspective Germany v Algeria is nailed on 6m+ even though Algeria are a minor team, because Germany are a well watched team. Brazil v Chile is the best game on paper but in a 5pm slot, it'll probably get 5m tops? The bbc will go for the ratings, not the best looking match, so Germany will be first pick. Germany match is on a Monday night when more people watch tv than Saturday nights, so is preferable to the Uruguay game.

The BBC aren't doing their job is they go for ratings. I'm sure they'll pick the Brazil game.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jlp95bwfc wrote: »
    The BBC aren't doing their job is they go for ratings. I'm sure they'll pick the Brazil game.
    The picks are chosen based on ratings potential. A primetime Germany or Uruguay game will rate better than a 5pm Brazil game [which will clash against Wimbledon]. From a pure ratings perspective, Id expect BBC to favour either Germany or the Uriuguay primetime games to the Brazil teatime game.
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Itv Encore share for its first week was only 0.2%, that's very low! Itv2 also doing badly with only 2.0% incl +1.

Are the ratings up on BARB now?
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tonights Match of the Day starts at 8pm so there is going to be a long hour buildup. So expect low ratings for tonight's encounter between Ivory Coast v Greece, two small teams, which wont be helped by the long buildup. BBC are probably hoping for about 4-4.5million for tonight's game.

I see so your quite happy to give the BBC an excuse for a potential lower rating, but totally disregard it for ITV.

In relation to BBC rating better for most things; as audiences fragment more, since the BBC is the longest running TV channel audiences are more likely to be more loyal to the BBC than they might be to the other channels. If you look at the channel lifespan - BBC was started first so has the highest audience reach, ITV next biggest, BBC2, Ch4 and lastly Ch5. The BBC would have to be in dire straits for ITV to overtake it in reach figures. Likewise for Ch4 to overtake ITV.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    In relation to BBC rating better for most things; as audiences fragment more, since the BBC is the longest running TV channel audiences are more likely to be more loyal to the BBC than they might be to the other channels. If you look at the channel lifespan - BBC was started first so has the highest audience reach, ITV next biggest, BBC2, Ch4 and lastly Ch5. The BBC would have to be in dire straits for ITV to overtake it in reach figures. Likewise for Ch4 to overtake ITV.
    For almost five decades, Itv were consistently beating BBC One. It is only over the last 12 years that BBC One has overtaken Itv. So the above is just an excuse.
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For almost five decades, Itv were consistently beating BBC One. It is only over the last 12 years that BBC One has overtaken Itv. So the above is just an excuse.

Well that's helped by a couple of good commissioners at the bbc. And its more likely viewers would stay loyal to the bbc, being the only station without adverts and the fragmented viewing has impacted ITV more.

Edit; I see you ignored my first comment.
  • Options
    sn_22sn_22 Posts: 6,477
    Forum Member
    These are the likely matches for the World Cup quarter final round. BBC have first pick and then the picks alternate. If I was the Beeb this is what I think they should do from a ratings perspective in pick order:

1. Germany v Algeria [Mon 9pm] - BBC
    2. Colombia v Uruguay [Sat 9pm] - Itv
    3. Brazil v Chile [Sat 5pm] - BBC
    4. Holland v Mexico [Sun 5pm] - Itv
    5. Belgium v USA [Tue 9pm] - BBC
    6. Costa Rica v Ivory Coast [Sun 9pm] - Itv
    7. Argentina v Switzerland [Tue 5pm] - BBC
    8. France v Nigeria [Mon 5pm] - BBC

To reiterate, the above are my predictions.

I would think Brazil's clash is the biggest and will be the first pick.

I'd also suggest that Belgium v USA would be a very tasty tie, and would probably be preferred to the Colombia v Uruguay game. Belgium are stacked with English-based players but look a bit underwhelming - while the USA seem to keep getting themselves into absolute classics. I think it could be very close and is an attractive game (assuming it pans out that way).
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Nonsense, the BBC were beating ITV back in the 60s, thanks in part to the BBC signing long-term contracts for all the sporting events they could find.And the BBC also had very good LE and drama output (Cathy Come Home anybody ? Steptoe, Till Death, Dad's Army) From the early 70s, as Bill Cotton put it, ''the BBC owned Saturday nights.'' Do check your facts Samuel.
  • Options
    sn_22sn_22 Posts: 6,477
    Forum Member
    Well that's helped by a couple of good commissioners at the bbc. And its more likely viewers would stay loyal to the bbc, being the only station without adverts and the fragmented viewing has impacted ITV more.

I would argue that Greg Dyke is probably the single biggest factor. He was fortunate to take charge at a time where the BBC had the money to spend, but he spent it well on flagship content - big sports contracts and a big investment in BBC One across the board. Plus, of course, you had the shifting of the news to 10pm once ITV vacated the slot. That's probably the most significant scheduling change in British TV history, and it's no coincidence that the BBC's share surpassed ITV very soon after.
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    BARB response to my email of last night, querying the incorrect World Cup figures:
    Hi Neil,

We’ve asked BBC to re-submit logs for the most recent week of consolidated viewing so that we can get these sorted out before the normal 6-week amendment cycle. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I’ll let you know once the figures have been corrected.

Kind regards,
    Marc

I asked about both channels, but no mention of ITV's split into two: pre-Opening Ceremony (10 minutes) and Opening Ceremony/pre-match/match/post-match (243 minutes). I'll mention that specifically in my reply.

EDIT: Done. I notice that BBC One has been taken down in the officials for w/e 15 June now. :o
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sn_22 wrote: »
    I would argue that Greg Dyke is probably the single biggest factor. He was fortunate to take charge at a time where the BBC had the money to spend, but he spent it well on flagship content - big sports contracts and a big investment in BBC One across the board. Plus, of course, you had the shifting of the news to 10pm once ITV vacated the slot. That's probably the most significant scheduling change in British TV history, and it's no coincidence that the BBC's share surpassed ITV very soon after.

Unfortunately Greg has not repeated his success at the FA:D
  • Options
    AnthonyCAnthonyC Posts: 2,238
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Nonsense, the BBC were beating ITV back in the 60s, thanks in part to the BBC signing long-term contracts for all the sporting events they could find.And the BBC also had very good LE and drama output (Cathy Come Home anybody ? Steptoe, Till Death, Dad's Army) From the early 70s, as Bill Cotton put it, ''the BBC owned Saturday nights.'' Do check your facts Samuel.

This website says otherwise. ITV have most of the top 10 entries across the decade.

http://www.teletronic.co.uk/tvratings_60s.htm
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AnthonyC wrote: »
    This website says otherwise. ITV have most of the top 10 entries across the decade.

That's right Anthony.

ITV dominated the BBC from pretty much ITV's start. The BBC had a few shows that punched through in each decade but ITV wiped the floor with them for most of the week for most of the year.

There were periods where BBC1 did well like with their legendary bomb proof Saturday night schedule of the seventies and early eighties, Michael Grade in charge of BBC1 in the mid eighties. But it wasn't until the noughties where BBC1 became more competitive regularly with ITV.

We need to sound the Steve Williams klaxon! :D
  • Options
    PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember watching a documentary about Eldorado in late 2002, and at the end it said BBC One overtook ITV in monthly shares for the first time in its history in August 2001, and has remained in front ever since (for a whole 16 months at that point), ironically with the help of a fourth episode of a different soap, EastEnders.

It was a good documentary. It explained how Eldorado came about because the BBC were under pressure from the Tories to get BBC1's ratings up to justify the licence fee before charter renewal.
  • Options
    jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member

He actually has them right.
    AnthonyC wrote: »

Indeed David Attenborough in an interview on 5 live was talking about their ratings target back when he was controller of BBC 2 in the mid 60s.
    The target for BBC 1 + 2 combined was a 40% share against 60% for ITV.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "@TVRatingsUK: England's final World Cup match, vs Costa Rica, peaked with 9.46m/48.1% at 6.35pm yesterday. Coverage averaged 5.76m/39.3%."
  • Options
    RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    "@TVRatingsUK: England's final World Cup match, vs Costa Rica, peaked with 9.46m/48.1% at 6.35pm yesterday. Coverage averaged 5.76m/39.3%."

9.5m peak tuned in to that dross?

Are they sadists? !

Still, well below what itv and its advertisers would have hoped for. Does itv have to refund money if the audience is way below expectations?
  • Options
    northladnorthlad Posts: 1,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »

That seems pretty good given the circumstances,thought it would be lower.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Are they sadists? !

Still, well below what itv and its advertisers would have hoped for. Does itv have to refund money if the audience is way below expectations?
    northlad wrote: »
    That seems pretty good given the circumstances,thought it would be lower.
    England matches are draw (See what I did there?) for viewers even a nothing match like that. Think that might be the best rated afternoon match too.
  • Options
    newkid30newkid30 Posts: 7,797
    Forum Member
    Thunderbirds if done well could be big. Give a nostalgic feel and being that there's nothing like it on TV, it could pull in a good 5-6m.

Nostalgic to who though, surely noone under 35 will have a clue what it is?
    When is the last time it was on TV?
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member

Are they sadists? !

Probably people like me who tuned in for the last 10mins to shake my head in disbelief.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The actual England match rated even better.

"@overnightstv: ITV coverage of #englandvsCostarica averaged 5.7m/38.8%, but the match 5pm - 6.50pm avged 7.8m. Peak was 9.5m/48.1%"
This discussion has been closed.