The Ratings Thread (Part 60)

Comments

• Rob1985Rob1985 Posts: 5,193
    Forum Member
    I agree with you, I do say it far too often.

Yes you do, but certainly not as much as a certain someone else! 😜
  • PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SouthCity wrote: »
    Sky Arts have a similar show with Frank Skinner & Joan Bakewell.

Sunday at 6pm would be the ideal slot for this type of show.
    I think that's where it'll end up, when Antiques Roadshow is on its annual Midwife break.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When did Blackburn take charge of Coronation St?
  • JetsonJetson Posts: 13,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When did Blackburn take charge of Coronation St?
    January 2013 with scenes starting April 2013 IIRC.
  • Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SamuelW wrote: »
    Apparently some of the camerawork the last few months on Coro has been bad since the move to the new set. They are trying to make the new set look as similar on screen as the previous set by not showing certain camera angles [even though there are big differences such as a wider road etc]. So they are compromising good quality direction in order to make the new set look as similar as possible as the last set in this transitional period.

Don't know where you've got that from, it's all complete fabrication.

Considering Blackburn apparently ruined Emmerdale, how come it rated better under him than it is doing now?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James J wrote: »
    January 2013 with scenes starting April 2013 IIRC.
    EastEnders ones only seem to be lasting a year or two at the mo, so I expect he'll leave this year or next.
  • jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    Does this suggest that GBBO could be moving to 21:00 with the spin off at 22:00?

I hope not but anything is possible. It would leave a weird junction for BBC 2 if it stayed at 8 though.

The BBC Media centre also has provisional scheduling for the Commonwealth Games
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/proginfo/search?medium=tv&channel=&yearweek=&day=

Commonwealth Games: Opening Ceremony
    Wednesday 23 July-8.00-11.00pm BBC ONE

The Daily schedule provisionally indicates that 6.00 to 24.00 is all Commonwealth games with the only breaks being for the 1,6 & 10 news. Well they slot in Eastenders in the final schedule or move it to BBC 2 like the Olympics?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jake lyle wrote: »
    The Daily schedule provisionally indicates that 6.00 to 24.00 is all Commonwealth games with the only breaks being for the 1,6 & 10 news. Well they slot in Eastenders in the final schedule or move it to BBC 2 like the Olympics?
    I get the feeling Cohen would like EastEnders on BBC Two, with a repeat of the Olympic scheduling which probably played a big part in his promotion.

Moore creates the impression of understanding the importance of EastEnders to BBC One far more than Cohen ever did, so hopefully there's still a chance the soap will stay on BBC One. It's had enough upheaval this year.
  • ScoreScore Posts: 17,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jake lyle wrote: »
    I hope not but anything is possible. It would leave a weird junction for BBC 2 if it stayed at 8 though.

BBC2 have aired stuff like the Springwatch/Autumnwatch and Stargazing Live spinoff shows at 9pm (after the main show at 8pm) so I wouldn't say Bake Off is necessarily going to move to 9pm. I hope it doesn't personally as it doesn't feel like a 9pm show at all (and the spinoff would look ridiculous at 10pm). It would be a way of keeping it on Tuesdays I guess but Wednesdays at 8pm would work much better I think. Would be a good anchor for the Wednesday night schedule too I think. It's meant to be starting in August - I guess they'll start it the week after the Commonwealth Games end.

The only Wednesday obstacle I guess is if they want The Apprentice to air there in October as you'd end up with BBC2 having a very awkward 9.30pm gap to fill. Bake Off could air on Thursdays I guess although I think it'd probably be easier to move The Apprentice to a different night. I think Bake Off and Who Do You Think You Are will probably find themselves running August-October on Wednesdays with The Apprentice on a different night. Thursday could be a good bet, although a part of me thinks the very young skewing Apprentice could actually work quite well as a Downton foil on Sundays rather than wasting a drama there. It could benefit from a lot of 16-34s floating around after X Factor who don't fancy the costume drama. Could be an interesting idea. If they do that though it'd probably be best to have it wrapped up by mid-November before I'm A Celebrity comes along but I'm sure that'd be doable.
  • jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EastEnders ones only seem to be lasting a year or two at the mo, so I expect he'll leave this year or next.

I don't follow your logic :confused:. What has EE got to do with it?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jlp95bwfc wrote: »
    I don't follow your logic :confused:. What has EE got to do with it?
    The trend for soap producers to only stay for a couple of years.
  • Last RequestLast Request Posts: 2,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do realise there are a lot of people contributing to Corrie being poor, however since Blackburn took over and writing as well as the storylines have both taken a dive so most things are contrived and tedious.

When Phil Collinson was in charge the storylines were undoubtedly better, the writing in some places was contrived, but much less so than Blackburn's era. Ultimiatly it is the producer who has the final say on storyines and Blackburn has so far ruined Emmerdale and Corrie, which is rather coincidental don't you think.

The fact is ITV need a good cear out of Corrie's cast, producer, and add in some fresh writers.

May have slipped your notice but Emmmerdale's ratings under Kate Oats are awful her job should be on the line.

Unlike under you're mate Phil Collinson who's era was ripped apart by the written press and media. Corrie in my eyes feels normal under SB touch of the 70's and 80's not much happening, but characters interacting with each other.part and parcel what soaps should symbolize.
  • NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member
    Score - yeah, I think they'd want to avoid having the Bake Off spin-off running against The Apprentice and then leaving an awkward half-hour slot between spin-off shows. Better to move The Apprentice to another night, probably Thursday as you say, because Tuesday will be drama night as usual no doubt.

Tuesday
    20:00 - Holby
    21:00 - Drama

Wednesday
    20:00 - The Great British Bake Off
    21:00 - Who Do You Think You Are?
    (21:00-21:30 on BBC Two - The Great British Bake Off: An Extra Slice)

Thursday
    20:00 - Watchdog
    21:00 - The Apprentice
    (22:00-22:30 on BBC Two - The Apprentice: You're Fired)

There should easily be enough drama to fill Monday nights (e.g. New Tricks) and Thursdays too after The Apprentice finishes.
  • H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV announces first commissions for ITVBe.

ITV today announces the first original commissions for ITVBe. including new series Seven Days With…(w/t); Baby Wears Prada (w/t); The Real Housewives of Cheshire and an original run of the hugely popular dating show Dinner Date.

ITVBe. which will launch later this year, is a brand new free to air channel dedicated to lifestyle and entertainment programming, featuring real people and real lives. It will be the exclusive home of The Only Way is Essex as well as other UK original commissions and a range of American acquired shows, such as the Real Housewives franchise.

ITV’s Director of Digital Channels and Acquisitions, Angela Jain said: "These new British commissions are part of ITVBe's strategy to offer our viewers fun and interesting insights into real people and their lives and also take a peek into the world of some more extraordinary lives. ITVBe. completes our portfolio of channels which will offer viewer breadth and choice.”

Seven Days With…(w/t) is a new reality series that gives viewers a unique insight into the lives and relationships of some of the UK’s favourite celebrity couples. Each episode will follow a different well-known couple to find out how their relationship really works. Their faces will be familiar from the red carpets and glamorous events, but what happens when the make-up comes off? What are they really like; who does the school run; and what really makes them tick? Seven Days With… (w/t) will be made by ITV's factual division, Shiver, with Miles Jarvis as Executive Producer.

A fascinating new series, Baby Wears Prada (w/t) looks at the extraordinary lengths people go to when spoiling their kids. With film crews focusing on one shop selling designer childrenswear, the series follows the parents who buy these products, exploring their lives and their family relationships. Baby Wears Prada (w/t) will be made by Mentorn Media and executive produced by Tayte Simpson.

Having enjoyed the outrageous antics of America’s Real Housewives, the glamorous series is crossing the pond and landing in the UK with The Real Housewives of Cheshire. The series steps inside the champagne fuelled lives of Cheshire’s most affluent social circle, infiltrates their friendship groups and revels in their rivalries - all with the gorgeous backdrop of the lavish homes and the exclusive locations the women live in. The Real Housewives of Cheshire will be made by Monkey Kingdom’s BAFTA winning team, Executive Producers Sarah Dillistone and David Granger.

http://www.itv.com/presscentre/press-releases/itv-announces-first-commissions-itvbe#.U7WlL7HYGG4
  • Philip WilsonPhilip Wilson Posts: 1,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITVbe, Glenn A's worst nightmare! :D
  • ChrisEChrisE Posts: 1,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITVbe, Glenn A's worst nightmare! :D

I'm applying for a Sky account asap.:D:o
  • Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The line up for the new series of Who Do You Think You Are? is now known. Looks very strong:
    Julie Walters Mary Berry Brendan O'Carroll Tamzin Outhwaite Twiggy
    Sheridan Smith Martin Shaw Reggie Yates Billy Connolly Brian Blessed

There will also be a special on BBC 1 later this summer celebrating the 100th episode of the show now in series 11.
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ITVbe launching will be good, As ITV2 will become a better channel without all of the rubbish.
  • AnthonyCAnthonyC Posts: 2,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITVbe launching will be good, As ITV2 will become a better channel without all of the rubbish.

Pardon my paraphrasing here but would you really still go for that swim once you took some of the the turds out of the pool?
  • Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The line up for the new series of Who Do You Think You Are? is now known. Looks very strong:

There will also be a special on BBC 1 later this summer celebrating the 100th episode of the show now in series 11.

Cant say Iv seen them all but its a fascinating series, highlighting in many cases just how hard the struggle was to pave the way for the comparatively pampered lifestyle of the modern day celebrities taking part.

Most moving episode I ever saw was Jerry Springer with his families links to the holocaust.
  • NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 8,635
    Forum Member

That does look like one of the strongest line-ups in years overall. Glad that Julie Walters is doing it; my mum is convinced she's related to her. :DWDYTYA went a bit off the boil in the ratings in recent years, with some rather obscure subjects seemingly chosen to make up the numbers, but this looks like a return to form, if the stories are interesting enough.
    ChrisE wrote: »
    I'm applying for a Sky account asap.:D:o

ITVBe will be free-to-air.
    AnthonyC wrote: »
    Pardon my paraphrasing here but would you really still go for that swim once you took some of the the turds out of the pool?

:D
  • yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member

Unfortunately ITV2 will have nothing to replace the rubbish.
  • FuddFudd Posts: 166,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yorkie100 wrote: »

Exactly. What direction are they taking ITV2 in, exactly? The likes of The Job Lot and Plebs are a nod in the right direction but are they going to sustain this? If they commission young skewing (using the thread's favourite word now) 'niche' drama and comedies with maybe repeats and talent show spin offs padding out the channel then it might not be so bad but we haven't seen enough programming being commissioned to be able to say this is the direction they're taking it in.

ITV's latest developments in the digital world have been to rip off ITV2 and ITV3. Can anyone else see the flaw in their logic?
  • H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yorkie100 wrote: »

I hope they use the opportunity to commission some new drama for ITV2 and new comedy. Plebs is successful so that a start. The Job Lot should ensure a good 1m+ for ITV2.

BBC3 do some good factual/doc stuff that hopefully ITV2 should push for.
  • SamuelWSamuelW Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    I hope they use the opportunity to commission some new drama for ITV2 and new comedy. Plebs is successful so that a start. The Job Lot should ensure a good 1m+ for ITV2.

BBC3 do some good factual/doc stuff that hopefully ITV2 should push for.
    Plebs lost half its audience over the six episodes it aired last year. So after a promising start, it declined significantly in the ratings. Itv2 will not be able to replace the likes of The Only Way is Essex [40hours per year] and Real Housewives [dozens of hours per year] with the likes of a couple of sitcoms which run 6 hours maximium per yer. The whole Itv Be strategy is flawed because theyre taking some of the most popular stuff from Itv2 and replacing it with short run shows and American imports which rate badly.
This discussion has been closed.