Options

Should I Advise Other Parents of Free For All Party?

Mrs MackintoshMrs Mackintosh Posts: 1,870
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Not sure what to do here. Feel free to tell me what you think.

My 15 year old daughter is invited to a party. The "host" (also 15) has the house to herself for the weekend. Her parents are going away and her 17 year old sister is going out. The party was originally for about 30 people but now the whole year (possibly the whole school) has got wind of it and it's turning into a free for all.

The house is a large detached one in the middle of a secluded wooded area, they keep chickens and my daughter has even heard some people in the school saying things like "If X doesn't let me into the party...I'm going to kill the chickens".

I told my daughter I wasn't comfortable about her attending it and she said she was quite relieved that I'd said that and that she thought it might be best not to.

My dilemma is that some of her friends are still planning on going...do I let their parents know the nature of the party or do I just let what will be will be?

I don't want my daughter being found out as the "whistleblower" but I don't want kids I've seen grow up with her and care about in a situation that could go horribly wrong.

Thoughts?

PS...I'm not a funsponge killjoy, I know 15 year olds are going to drink underage and get off with each other. My concern is their personal safety, nothing else.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 145
    Forum Member
    Also the parent of a 15 year old (and a chicken keeper). I would tell both the parents of the girl who wants to hold the party and the parents of the children talking about attending. I don't think you are a killjoy, especially seeing as a teenager was killed at one of these partys that got out of hand at the weekend.
  • Options
    LoisLois Posts: 118,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Seriously?

I would tell the parents of the girl holding the party.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    keep.flyin wrote: »
    Also the parent of a 15 year old (and a chicken keeper). I would tell both the parents of the girl who wants to hold the party and the parents of the children talking about attending. I don't think you are a killjoy, especially seeing as a teenager was killed at one of these partys that got out of hand at the weekend.

That's kind of what I've been thinking myself but just wanted other views on it. Thanks.

ETA..I don't know the girl's parents. I've only met the girl once and that was about a year ago. She didn't go to my daughter's primary school so my knowledge of them and her is minimal.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    definitely tell the parents.
  • Options
    StudmuffinStudmuffin Posts: 4,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's kind of what I've been thinking myself but just wanted other views on it. Thanks.

ETA..I don't know the girl's parents. I've only met the girl once and that was about a year ago. She didn't go to my daughter's primary school so my knowledge of them and her is minimal.

I'd tell the parents you do know and ask if any of them know the party girl's parents. Eventually someone is bound to know them. As you know the house you could maybe write to the homeowners? Or go round? I would be thankful if I was pre-warned one of my little darlings was potentially going to have my house trashed for me.
    Your daughter sounds very sensible and a credit to you too.
  • Options
    simondsUU933wsimondsUU933w Posts: 4,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Parents leave a 15-year-old at home for the weekend and allow her to have a party for 30 people? Really?! Nobody sees a problem with this?!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Studmuffin wrote: »
    I'd tell the parents you do know and ask if any of them know the party girl's parents. Eventually someone is bound to know them. As you know the house you could maybe write to the homeowners? Or go round? I would be thankful if I was pre-warned one of my little darlings was potentially going to have my house trashed for me.
    Your daughter sounds very sensible and a credit to you too.

Thanks, I appreciate that. I was considering a note through their door...it's on one of my long dog walking routes.

My daughter loves a laugh with her friends but she likes to know she's safe and I'm lucky enough to have a very healthy dialogue with her.
  • Options
    StudmuffinStudmuffin Posts: 4,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    simonp820 wrote: »
    Parents leave a 15-year-old at home for the weekend and allow her to have a party for 30 people? Really?! Nobody sees a problem with this?!

Oh...I assumed the parents/homeowners didn't know :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If there is time why not just post an anonymous letter to the party girl's parents. Keep it diplomatic by not critisisng the party but say that from what you have heard you are a little worried that it will get out of hand.

By doing it this way there is no way your daughter could get found out. If you go round and the girl gets into trouble she may go around saying your daughter ruined the party.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Studmuffin wrote: »
    Oh...I assumed the parents/homeowners didn't know :confused:

Ah sorry - didn't think of that. If they didn't then I'd definitely tell them as I'm sure I'd want them to do the same in return.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The homeowners don't know about it. Their elder daughter is 17 and is extremely responsible. She is being left in charge of the younger one who has persuaded her to go out for the night and has no knowledge of the party either.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The homeowners don't know about it. Their elder daughter is 17 and is extremely responsible. She is being left in charge of the younger one who has persuaded her to go out for the night and has no knowledge of the party either.

No doubt about it - tell the parents! Anonymous or not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If there is time why not just post an anonymous letter to the party girl's parents. Keep it diplomatic by not critisisng the party but say that from what you have heard you are a little worried that it will get out of hand.

By doing it this way there is no way your daughter could get found out. If you go round and the girl gets into trouble she may go around saying your daughter ruined the party.

This sounds the best course of action for me. I pass the house on my dog walks so it wouldn't be difficult and they'd never found out who "told".
  • Options
    DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The whole school knows and it hasn't got back to the elder sister yet?!

Anyway, yeah, I'd anonymously warn the parents, it WILL end up with the house completely trashed. I remember going to teenager ouse parties in the 80s where the parents allowed the parties and even came back home say at midnight and the house was trashed, well say **** burns in the carpets, a broken door or whatever, but these parents are going to have their house TRASHED.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The whole school knows and it hasn't got back to the elder sister yet?!

Anyway, yeah, I'd anonymously warn the parents, it WILL end up with the house completely trashed. I remember going to teenager ouse parties in the 80s where the parents allowed the parties and even came back home say at midnight and the house was trashed, well say **** burns in the carpets, a broken door or whatever, but these parents are going to have their house TRASHED.

It's a big school :) but it's possible her elder sister could get wind of it before it has the chance to happen.
  • Options
    EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

She's not what I'd call responsible if she's planning on staying out all night when her parents have left her to look after her younger sister.

That said, it won't be her fault the house gets trashed. If I knew what you knew I'd certainly be telling the houseowners. Put yourself in their shoes. Wouldn't you want to know if your fifteen your old had got herself into this sort of situation?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 188
    Forum Member
    I'd tell the parents, I remember what parties were like when I was that age.People were being sick burning holes in the furniture, having sex,trashing the house etc.
    I would'nt want my house ending up been wrecked and my child having sex with 3 different lads etc.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would tell the parents. It only takes one kid to mention the party on Twitter/FB and all hell breaking loose.
  • Options
    fizzle90fizzle90 Posts: 6,467
    Forum Member
    Espresso wrote: »
    She's not what I'd call responsible if she's planning on staying out all night when her parents have left her to look after her younger sister.

Exactly this^.

That was my first thought too.
  • Options
    EmmersonneEmmersonne Posts: 4,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP, would it do any good to contact the school? Perhaps they can target the parents of the year en masses and warn them.
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    simonp820 wrote: »

Parents leave 17 year old in charge of 15 year old. I doubt the parents know.
  • Options
    Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not if she's been persuaded to go out for the night when her parents think she is there to keep an eye on things.

You should tell the parents.
  • Options
    horwichallstarshorwichallstars Posts: 16,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tell them. My stepson has just done this. Hubby's ex went on hols, son supposed to be staying with grandparents. He decided to go back to his mums house to have a party with a few mate, it somehow ended up on FB, and the house got trashed. Terrible experience - if you can prevent this happening to someone else, please do it.
  • Options
    tenorladytenorlady Posts: 1,976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another vote to tell them, teenage parties frequently get out of hand, particularly with twitter and Facebook telling everyone around there's a party on. If it was my child and my house, I would really appreciate being told beforehand.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Definitely tell them. You'd want to know if it was your child and your house.