The One Show

Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,942
Forum Member
✭✭
I don't often watch the One Show, but it happened to be on when I walked in. What's wrong with it tonight, has someone put speed into everyone's tea? Shouty, rushed and sort of bad tempered, almost as if the entire cast & crew were spoiling for a fight! Irritating and off-putting.

Comments

• A.D.PA.D.P Posts: 10,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andy2 wrote: »
    I don't often watch the One Show, but it happened to be on when I walked in. What's wrong with it tonight, has someone put speed into everyone's tea? Shouty, rushed and sort of bad tempered, almost as if the entire cast & crew were spoiling for a fight! Irritating and off-putting.

I must have been watching a different, 'One Show' to you, I really enjoyed it.

What was Bad tempered? Didn't see or hear anything shouty?
    They rushed in the last seconds only.
  • Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I walked in when Stephen Merchant was looking at that blue artefact and Chris Evans kept telling him there was no time. Then Merchant got all defensive about his film and everyone was talking at once.
    What was all that stuff Evans kept saying about 'two shots' during the Egyptian mummy segment? John Sargeant seemed a bit wound up as well!
    Then a nice restful bit about the Sun House, but then all rushy again with the guess the husband bit. It was like they had far too much to get in and no time to spend on anything.
  • drillbitdrillbit Posts: 1,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stephen merchant was in the process of discussing his new movie and Evans butts in within seconds and tells him to be more upbeat about it:confused: i mean ffs!!

why can't they get someone else other than Evans for friday
  • ilovenicnacsilovenicnacs Posts: 43,363
    Forum Member
    I walked in when Stephen Merchant was looking at that blue artefact and Chris Evans kept telling him there was no time. Then Merchant got all defensive about his film and everyone was talking at once.
    What was all that stuff Evans kept saying about 'two shots' during the Egyptian mummy segment? John Sargeant seemed a bit wound up as well!
    Then a nice restful bit about the Sun House, but then all rushy again with the guess the husband bit. It was like they had far too much to get in and no time to spend on anything.

I agree, have just watched it with my oh and we both thought it was really rushed and they did not seem to know what they were doing half the time! really strange show.

It could have been because carrot top was doing it tonight, I can never watch him cos he still thinks he is on radio with talking over people and making Crap jokes, he kept saying "that's a good shot" when it showed the Mummy casein the picture even though John Sergeant was trying to talk! he has a habit of pulling Alex Jones up if she has missed a question which is really rude, wish they could get rid of him.
  • Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What was all that 'a good two shot there' and 'oh a two shot to die for' business? I realise I didn't see the show from the beginning, but it seemed so strange. Was Evans 'on something'?
    The whole thing seemed bad-tempered as if they were about to kick off.
  • kiteflyerkiteflyer Posts: 1,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I specifically came onto Digital Spy to find out what was going on re the One Show. I only caught the end but I quickly knew that something wasn't right. Chris Evans even made a sort of apology by saying to the viewers "thanks for sticking with it". Is it not normally on for an hour and why was there an old episode of Wallace and Gromit on afterwards?
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't think there was anything particularly long, for some reason they seemed a bit short of time but that sort of thing happens with a live programme.
  • James30James30 Posts: 5,196
    Forum Member
    Can't stand Alex Jones, she's crap and can't present. She rushes through items and the autocue like a bull in a china shop.

Matt Baker is overly smug and is just as bad. He plays up to the cameras to please the old dears in care homes who think he's 'lovely'

Chris Evans is usually alright, he has more TV experience than Matt and Alex put together.
  • MrsRobinsonMrsRobinson Posts: 4,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I usually like the One Show when Matt and Alex are on, (mostly for Matt) but tonight's show was just a complete waste of time... or should I say 'rubbish'!!! I wonder how much the hyper Chris Evans gets paid for shouting... thank goodness the Friday night shows were cut back to 30 minutes some time ago!
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,512
    Forum Member

That sounds like a 'normal' show tbh. Cannot stand Chris Evans as he does shout over everyone.

I stopped watching a while back as they always butt in when the guests are speaking and say they have run out of time, yet they always have time to show viewers boring photo's at the end.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Evans is dire and his attempts to direct from the studio floor just pathetic. No wonder the Friday edition of TOS gets the lowest ratings of the week.
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,512
    Forum Member
    James30 wrote: »
    Can't stand Alex Jones, she's crap and can't present. She rushes through items and the autocue like a bull in a china shop.

Matt Baker is overly smug and is just as bad. He plays up to the cameras to please the old dears in care homes who think he's 'lovely'

Chris Evans is usually alright, he has more TV experience than Matt and Alex put together.

So why do you watch it :confused:

They are the reasons why I don't watch :D
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Evans is dire and his attempts to direct from the studio floor just pathetic. No wonder the Friday edition of TOS gets the lowest ratings of the week.

He always remind me of an overgrown schoolboy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caxton wrote: »
    He always remind me of an overgrown schoolboy.

Remember his disastrous attempts to ''present'' golf on 5Live when one morning he actually forgot to turn up. Evans is the sort of ''personality'' who needs a strong producer to rein him in. Clearly he doesn't have one on TOS.
  • tobitobi Posts: 2,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A.D.P wrote: »
    I must have been watching a different, 'One Show' to you, I really enjoyed it.

What was Bad tempered? Didn't see or hear anything shouty?
    They rushed in the last seconds only.

I didn't watch it but the comments on twitter reflect the views of the OP.
  • ilovenicnacsilovenicnacs Posts: 43,363
    Forum Member
    tobi wrote: »
    I didn't watch it but the comments on twitter reflect the views of the OP.

I'm not on Twitter, but it would be interesting to see Stephen Merchants view on it, I saw the show (see above post) and there was definitely something going on, Merchant, Sergeant, Jay Rayner etc were rushed, interrupted, spoken over etc in a most unprofessional way - even for this programme!
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Remember his disastrous attempts to ''present'' golf on 5Live when one morning he actually forgot to turn up. .

DJ Chris Evans was almost half an hour late for his Radio 5 Live show tonight after claiming he had forgotten what time the broadcast started.

Evans was due to present live coverage of the third round of the US Masters Golf from Augusta with the programme starting at 9pm.

But he had failed to turn up as the broadcast got under way, finally arriving 25 minutes later.

Sounding breathless as he made it to the mic, the Radio 2 breakfast show host said: "I apologise profusely. I ran in from where I was - well, I did the Augusta shuffle."

Asked by his co-presenters where he had been, Evans replied: "I've been watching the golf! That's what we came to do.

"I had no idea we started at 9pm. I was in the foyer having a water and a chat."

He explained his breathlessness by saying he had run up the stairs to the studio after being alerted to his mistake, then asked: "How's it going anyway? I had such a great introduction written and everything. Oh well. I'm here now."
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/chris-evans-turns-up-late-177869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    drillbit wrote: »
    stephen merchant was in the process of discussing his new movie and Evans butts in within seconds and tells him to be more upbeat about it:confused: i mean ffs!!

why can't they get someone else other than Evans for friday
    Odd, as Merchant was a guest of his Friday R2 programme that morning, and they were chatting for a long time (and getting on really well), so long in fact that Chris said that he would leave The One Show interviewing to Alex, and that The One Show would be very different due to the shorter time available.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pity he didn't carry out his promise to leave the entire show to Alex:eek:I think the viewers and the BBC are soon going to start tiring of his behaviour.
  • GlennGlenn Posts: 62
    Forum Member
    Getting far too big for his boots, give him enough rope.... :D
  • LaurawhittzLaurawhittz Posts: 873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I noticed that to, the whole atmosphere of the episode felt uncomfortable to me
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glenn wrote: »
    Getting far too big for his boots, give him enough rope.... :D

He seems safe enough in his R2 slot:

BBC Radio 2 has achieved its highest ever audience, with a record 15.1 million listeners.

The station has piled on 1.2 million listeners in three months, according to new figures from audience measurement body Rajar.

And its sister station Radio 6 Music also hit a new high with 1.89 million listeners - a 170% increase on the audience it attracted three years ago when it was threatened with closure.

The BBC Trust rejected the proposals to axe the station after a sustained campaign by fans and its listeners have continued to swell.

The audience is 450,000 up on this time last year.

Radio 2's audience has been buoyed by Chris Evans's breakfast show piling on almost a million listeners in a quarter, taking him to 9.52 million
    http://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/bbc-radio-2-audience-reaches-record-level-8474235.html
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of the problems with The One Show is they work to a very tight schedule due to how many video sequences they have lined up etc and all the things they need to cover in the episode. So it's tradition that if a guest responds to a question with more than a couple of sentences, they begin to run over the schedule and you can feel the tension building and eventually Alex or Matt cut in and quickly move onto the next thing. That's what Stephen Merchant was getting at last night I think.

It's not a problem if you get a guest that treats the One Show for what it is.. just a chance to smile, say a few things and plug their latest DVD or whatever it is they're there to talk about.. but you get a guest who actually wants to talk about something... it immediately leads to trouble and they quickly begin to over run on their tight schedule.

When a guest talks too much I refer to it as a one show guest "going rogue" and sometimes it's hilarious because you can see how it cocks them up.

The other factor on Friday's is Chris Evans. He puts Alex on edge every week and I doubt she likes him that much. So that never helps. He's just too big a personality really and treats it all as a bit of a laugh. Although Peter Kay is one guest he can't dominate and it's quite amusing to see even Chris Evans pushed to the point of anger by Peter Kay's antics. I think they clear the entire schedule when Peter is on the show because they know they'll never get any of it shown because he's pratting about too much.

Can you tell I watch far too much of the One Show?
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of the problems with The One Show is they work to a very tight schedule due to how many video sequences they have lined up etc and all the things they need to cover in the episode. So it's tradition that if a guest responds to a question with more than a couple of sentences, they begin to run over the schedule and you can feel the tension building and eventually Alex or Matt cut in and quickly move onto the next thing. That's what Stephen Merchant was getting at last night I think.

It's not a problem if you get a guest that treats the One Show for what it is.. just a chance to smile, say a few things and plug their latest DVD or whatever it is they're there to talk about.. but you get a guest who actually wants to talk about something... it immediately leads to trouble and they quickly begin to over run on their tight schedule.

When a guest talks too much I refer to it as a one show guest "going rogue" and sometimes it's hilarious because you can see how it cocks them up.

The other factor on Friday's is Chris Evans. He puts Alex on edge every week and I doubt she likes him that much. So that never helps. He's just too big a personality really and treats it all as a bit of a laugh. Although Peter Kay is one guest he can't dominate and it's quite amusing to see even Chris Evans pushed to the point of anger by Peter Kay's antics. I think they clear the entire schedule when Peter is on the show because they know they'll never get any of it shown because he's pratting about too much.

Can you tell I watch far too much of the One Show?

What you say is true and has been mentioned before.

But it doesn't stop some people being unaware how scripted is this show. All the presenters really want is a short sentence reply from any guest. Any sort of an actual conversation developing with a guest, which many viewers would think the show's about, is discouraged by talking across them or cutting them short.
    They use a "shotgun technique" of packing the show with so many diverse elements, in a desperate attempt to stop viewers changing channels.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah it always baffles me because you would think they'd let the guests know how tight the schedule is and politely ask them to respond with short sentences before the cameras roll. Perhaps they feel it would be rude to do that.

Oh and another weird thing last night was Chris Evans humming the theme to Emmerdale at 7pm.

Bruce Willis on the show next week BTW!!