St. Patrick's Day 2014 - A day where everyone is just a little bit Irish!

irishfeenirishfeen Posts: 10,025
Forum Member
✭✭
So not too long left until St. Patrick's weekend - 70-80 million people claim Irish ancestry across the globe along with an estimated 6 million people claiming to be of Irish descent in the UK - about 1 million people more then on the island of Ireland itself.

Any plans (Irish descent or not) to do anything over the weekend or on the 17th itself to mark the day where it seems the world turns green? - I'll be heading for a few quiet ones that day and night to celebrate this little country :p

Irish tourist board have released a great little St. Patrick's day video which has gone viral showcasing the best of what Ireland has given the world/achieved http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wmIZEl1nSo

Its great to see the relationship between Ireland and the UK flourish and I would advise all of you to raise a glass over the weekend - Irish descent or not :)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I'd friggin' well hope I'm more than "just a little bit Irish" given that I was born in Dublin to Irish parents & lived there for 29 years.... ;)
  • irishfeenirishfeen Posts: 10,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I'd friggin' well hope I'm more than "just a little bit Irish" given that I was born in Dublin to Irish parents & lived there for 29 years.... ;)
    Ah your the full hog :p - anything planned for the weekend to celebrate?
  • Joni MJoni M Posts: 70,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Going to a pub in Blackburne with some DS friends :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joni M wrote: »
    Going to a pub in Blackburne with some DS friends :)
    Raising a glass of the black stuff to Ireland I hope ;-)
  • Cheetah666Cheetah666 Posts: 16,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll watch the parade in the afternoon, then a group of us are heading to the Chinese for dinner and then out for a few drinks after.
  • shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    I'm not, despite people trying their best to tell me that with pale skin and green eyes "you must be Irish"
  • misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No Irish history at all for me. Welsh as far back as we can go :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shmisk wrote: »
    I'm not, despite people trying their best to tell me that with pale skin and green eyes "you must be Irish"
    Its a trait that us Irish and British share - throw in a few more gingers in Ireland is all that's slightly different :)
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everyone to their own, but its become the unofficial p*ss up day.
    I can do that without having to do it on a certain day. Same as Valentine's, Halloween etc.
    I have French in my ancestors, not Irish. Oh well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No Irish history at all for me. Welsh as far back as we can go :)
    On both sides of your family? :o must be the exception not to have some small bit of Irish in you (especially being Welsh)- doesn't stop you enjoying yourself on behalf of us Irish this weekend ;-)
  • PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never cared about St Patrick's Day... I can't think of any friends who have ever celebrated it either. None of us are Irish or have any Irish connections so why would we?!

We do however have a massive carnival-style party on March 17th as it is my daughter's birthday :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Everyone to their own, but its become the unofficial p*ss up day.
    I can do that without having to do it on a certain day. Same as Valentine's, Halloween etc.
    I have French in my ancestors, not Irish. Oh well.
    Your dead right but it is something we are renowned around the world for it- nothing at all wrong with enjoying yourself with family and friends be you Irish or not.
  • Cheetah666Cheetah666 Posts: 16,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PrincessTT wrote: »
    I've never cared about St Patrick's Day... I can't think of any friends who have ever celebrated it either. None of us are Irish or have any Irish connections so why would we?!

We do however have a massive carnival-style party on March 17th as it is my daughter's birthday :)

Not being racial or anything, but its kind of a shame your daughter doesn't have some Irish connections. You can imagine the fuss that gets made of someone here whose birthday is St Patrick's Day. :D
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I deal with Americans and will be working on the 17th. If one person starts telling me about their "Irish roots", I will tell them to f*** off :mad:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    irishfeen wrote: »
    On both sides of your family? :o must be the exception not to have some small bit of Irish in you (especially being Welsh)- doesn't stop you enjoying yourself on behalf of us Irish this weekend ;-)

Yup, through and through. I sometimes think it might be nice to have a more varied ancestry but I'm quite proud of being so thoroughly Welsh :blush: I'm taking a friend to see Wicked in Cardiff for her birthday on the 17th, so we'll have a Guinness for you :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cheetah666 wrote: »
    Not being racial or anything, but its kind of a shame your daughter doesn't have some Irish connections. You can imagine the fuss that gets made of someone here whose birthday is St Patrick's Day. :D
    That's exactly what I was thinking too :) - I'd say the amount of Irish boys born in March named "Patrick" (First or second name) is crazy.
  • ArmiArmi Posts: 3,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ahhh St Patrick. The man who introduced christianity to the Irish - a nation of people who before that great day were Godless pagans who would often let minor differences in their tribal beliefs lead to bloody feuds and vendettas that could last for hundreds of years.
  • PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    irishfeen wrote: »
    That's exactly what I was thinking too :) - I'd say the amount of Irish boys born in March named "Patrick" (First or second name) is crazy.

When my daughter was born the midwifes suggested I should call her Patricia... I blamed the expletives I replied with on the drugs ;-)
  • spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hate the way some people mainly American's call it St Patty's day>:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It would be fair for Scotland and Wales to celebrate him too, as it is said he was born in a Welsh-speaking area of Strathclyde - http://www.britannia.com/celtic/wales/facts/facts2.html
  • FaithyHFaithyH Posts: 2,826
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Grandparents are irish so we always have a day out in London for the Irish parade this year its on 16 March (thats this coming sunday) in Trafalgar Square. My twitter will be filled with pics of me and family in friends in green drunk as farts :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spookyLX wrote: »
    I hate the way some people mainly American's call it St Patty's day>:(
    Calling it Paddy's/Patty's day fcuking annoys me too - signs been placed in Dublin Airport actually advising American's that its "St. Patrick's Day" and nothing else :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FaithyH wrote: »
    Grandparents are irish so we always have a day out in London for the Irish parade this year its on 16 March (thats this coming sunday) in Trafalgar Square. My twitter will be filled with pics of me and family in friends in green drunk as farts :D
    Sweet Job :p
  • getzlsgetzls Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A day for Plastic Paddys everywhere.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    getzls wrote: »
    A day for Plastic Paddys everywhere.
    ...and maybe a few real Patrick's too ;-)