Options

Should I Watch the Back to the Future Trilogy?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 655
Forum Member
✭✭
This might sound like an extremely redundant question for fans of the films but I've never actually seen the Back to the Future Trilogy and was wondering if I should?

Now obviously I'm going to watch the first one. I've heard a lot of good things and I'm going to give it a chance. But what I'm basically wondering is are the sequels worth buying as well? Obviously at the end of day my opinions - should I watch them - will probably be different than yours but I'm just curious as to the general consensus? Do you think all 3 films stand up? Does the series perhaps get better as it goes along?

Like I said before this might sound redundant and so I'm grateful for anyone who chooses to respond. That's all I really have to say on the matter because that's all I can say at this moment in time. All I know about the films are that there's a Marty McFly, a Doc Brown, a time travelling Delorean, one of them's set in the Wild West, he almost fades plus not to mention helps his parents hook up. Oh, and Doc Brown says where we're going we don't need roads!

Hopefully you made some sense of that. Thanks again for any feedback and help :)

Comments

• Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Do the film synopsis' interest you. If they do then watch them.
  • Options
    EVILSPEAKEVILSPEAK Posts: 980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The most overrated films in cinema history, starts off bad and each sequel gets progressively worse leading to an ending in the 3rd film that utterly nonsensical. I guess if the subject matter appeals to you then you'll watch them, but try not to follow the time-travel plot through the films because it makes no sense at all.
  • Options
    bbclassicsbbclassics Posts: 7,806
    Forum Member
    I think they're pretty fun films, I also only just watched them for the first time last year.
    The first one is the best one imo, they're all quite enjoyable.
    Maybe you could borrow the 3 films from people you know? as if you dislike them in the end you won't feel you wasted your money.
    Give 'em a watch I say :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,174
    Forum Member
    Yes, definitely. The first one is the best by a long way, but you still have to see all three.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,271
    Forum Member
    Of course.
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The first one is good, I would watch that, as for the other two see how feel after watching the first one, though personally don't think you are missing anything special by not watching 2 or 3.
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very enjoyable entertainment. Kids films in the sense that Big, say is a kids film. If you want more adult time-swap drama try the excellent Frequency.
  • Options
    towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a great trilogy..

The first film is the best of course but it's a classic 80's set.
  • Options
    ned flandersned flanders Posts: 588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Please, just watch and enjoy them all. :)
  • Options
    AraelGrayAraelGray Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    The trilogy is the greatest trilogy of all time except Star Wars, watch all 3, its imperative that you do...:)
  • Options
    DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The special effects in the third are very ropey even for the time it was filmed IMHO
  • Options
    quirkyquirkquirkyquirk Posts: 7,160
    Forum Member
    My favourite trilogy. Love all 3. Classics.
  • Options
    DangerBrotherDangerBrother Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    The first one is great and has of course the great line at the ending.

Second one is a bit ho-hum with split time lines etc. but I enjoyed the Wild West setting of the final one.
  • Options
    PointyPointy Posts: 1,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stick with the first, the sequels are as poor as The Matrix's.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Pointy wrote: »
    Stick with the first, the sequels are as poor as The Matrix's.

Come on, they're nowhere near as awful as those.
  • Options
    Metal MickeyMetal Mickey Posts: 1,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A fantastic trilogy, don't listen to the trolls trying to be cool by dismissing them...

"1" is one of the great high-concept movie comedies of all-time, immaculately put together, perfectly cast, funny and clever, a must-see anyway you slice it.

I love "2", it's a super-clever ramping up of the concept of "1", but I can see how some viewers find it a bit contrived and exhausting... however, it does deliberately end on an annoying cliff-hanger, so make sure that if you bother watching it, that you have the final movie to hand!

"3" gets back to a story (mostly) told in a single time-period, and benefits as a result. There are a few clunky bits (Why does Marty's great-grandmother look like his mother, despite being unrelated? Why bother bringing in an entirely new character [Needles] in the last few minutes?), but as a love-letter to western movies, it works nicely as a fitting end to the series.

Watching all 3 in quick succession also emphasises quite a few repeated visual and musical motifs, adding a nice extra layer of enjoyment... enjoy!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Why bother bringing in an entirely new character [Needles] in the last few minutes?),

Needles appears in 2 as well.

He's the one that
    convinces future Marty into taking part into a scheme that gets him fired by caling him a chicken
  • Options
    rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member
    Great Scott! What a stupid question, of course you should watch them. Now make like a tree and get out of here :D

But seriously, yes I highly recommend them. It's a fun classic series with fantastic actors. A personal favourite of mine.
  • Options
    yaristamanyaristaman Posts: 1,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A fantastic trilogy, don't listen to the trolls trying to be cool by dismissing them...

"1" is one of the great high-concept movie comedies of all-time, immaculately put together, perfectly cast, funny and clever, a must-see anyway you slice it.

I love "2", it's a super-clever ramping up of the concept of "1", but I can see how some viewers find it a bit contrived and exhausting... however, it does deliberately end on an annoying cliff-hanger, so make sure that if you bother watching it, that you have the final movie to hand!

"3" gets back to a story (mostly) told in a single time-period, and benefits as a result. There are a few clunky bits (Why does Marty's great-grandmother look like his mother, despite being unrelated? Why bother bringing in an entirely new character [Needles] in the last few minutes?), but as a love-letter to western movies, it works nicely as a fitting end to the series.

Watching all 3 in quick succession also emphasises quite a few repeated visual and musical motifs, adding a nice extra layer of enjoyment... enjoy!

Two reasons:

A) It's a joke about how men fall for women who look like their mother

B) It was an excuse to find a part for Lea Thompson.
  • Options
    Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

As above he is in the second one and
    it ties in with how Marty hurt himself and couldn't play guitar anymore.
    And the ropiest bit in all three films for me is in the first one.
    In the first demonstration with Einy in the car. Doc has the brake down and accelerates the car. How can the Delorean be moving at 40-odd mph before the Doc releases the brake? Speed is based on forward momentum. Not the speed at which the engine is running.

To OP, yes, watch them all. You can pick up the trilogy on DVD for less than a tenner, so why not? Most people prefer the first film but I've always had a soft spot for the third.
    The switching of the catchphrases was very funny.
  • Options
    AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    Definitely worth a watch, especially when the complete trilogy is available at such a bargain price.

If you don't like the first one the odds are you won't like the sequels, as is true with most movie series.

Personally, despite a few problems, the third is actually my favourite! The first is probably the best in terms of quality but I find both 1 and 3 especially good, and 2 is by no means a bad film :)

Interesting trivia - the set used for the town was later used as the town in the TV series Ghost Whisperer. :D
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The first is a brilliant film. The sequels are good but a definite step down, with too many knowing winks, and the sudden invention of Marty hating being called a chicken.

Unrelated, but in the first film when Doc makes Einstein the first ever time traveller, was it really a good idea to stand right in the way of the De Lorean? What was wrong with standing by the side, just in case it didn't work (as many of Doc's inventions clearly didn't)?
  • Options
    mistygalmistygal Posts: 8,318
    Forum Member
    Back To The Future is a classic 80,s film. You need remember that when watching this. I watched this 3 time at the cinema!
    The second one was okay, watchable but not a patch on the first movie.
    The third one say no more, no comment.
  • Options
    Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member
    Part II is surprisingly dark in places.
    Part III is more light-hearted and places more emphasis on Doc's character; his romance with Clara is a nice touch. As is the ZZ Top cameo.