Options

What is your earliest memory of Film?

Comments

• Options
    sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,015
    Forum Member
    At the cinema - crying my eyes out when Joy and George Adamson went to see how Elsa had fared in their first attempt to return her to the wild - she was a pathetic emaciated mess and so pleased to see them! Born Free.
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    crikey this list sounds like (all) the bbc r4 listeners ........

mary poppins here. local odeon. also bill oddie's song about her on ISIRTA shortly afterwards. somewhere i got a 45 with spoonful of sugar, and chim chimenee on the b side ...... all r4 listeners are old enough to know what a 45 is !

added ..... hmmm bill oddies isirta song must be several years later cos it was after the sound of music when julie andrews had become a megastar ......
  • Options
    icanboogieicanboogie Posts: 770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember watching the Wizard of Oz one Christmas (circa 1986) when it was on TV, thinking it was so boring because it was in black and white.....until Dorothy opened the door to Oz.

It is still my favourite film.

After it finished my mum made me a crown and I waved a stick around whilst pretending I was Glinda.

I have been a friend of Dorothy's ever since.
  • Options
    Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    OP why do you keep asking these questions? this is your 3rd post on basically the same question, you have 2 over on the gaming thread. Are you trying to make up your memories from others...lol
  • Options
    Billy HicksBilly Hicks Posts: 475
    Forum Member
    It's an odd one for me because my parents insist that my Grandad took me to see Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, which was either re-released in 1992 or 1993 depending on what website you read, but I've got absolutely no memory of it.

What I do definitely remember is seeing 'Aladdin' at the now closed Odeon in Uxbridge at the end of 1993, followed by the re-release of The Aristocats a few months later.
  • Options
    ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spiney2 wrote: »
    crikey this list sounds like (all) the bbc r4 listeners ........

mary poppins here. local odeon. also bill oddie's song about her on ISIRTA shortly afterwards. somewhere i got a 45 with spoonful of sugar, and chim chimenee on the b side ...... all r4 listeners are old enough to know what a 45 is !

added ..... hmmm bill oddies isirta song must be several years later cos it was after the sound of music when julie andrews had become a megastar ......

ISIRTA began in 1964 and they were doing the censored lyrics routine even then.
    The Julie Andrews version was circa 1968.
  • Options
    JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I am older than most people here. My earliest memories of films are going to see Bambi and being bum numbingly bored by the brightness and the blaring noise, and then seeing another Disney, Beauty and The Beast I think and hating it so much that I was allowed to leave and go down to the park instead.

Slightly later when |I was about ten I went with a couple of friends to see The Crimson Pirate, the greatest film ever made, except that we only saw about ten minutes of it because we were ejected from the cinema because we liked it too much and made a racket. Took me about 50 years to see the rest, on TV one day not so long ago.
  • Options
    Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,243
    Forum Member
    Johnbee wrote: »
    I think I am older than most people here. My earliest memories of films are going to see Bambi and being bum numbingly bored by the brightness and the blaring noise, and then seeing another Disney, Beauty and The Beast I think and hating it so much that I was allowed to leave and go down to the park instead.

Slightly later when |I was about ten I went with a couple of friends to see The Crimson Pirate, the greatest film ever made, except that we only saw about ten minutes of it because we were ejected from the cinema because we liked it too much and made a racket. Took me about 50 years to see the rest, on TV one day not so long ago.

I saw The Crimson Pirate in 1952 the year I started work, so I guess I am five years older than you. ;-)

Burt Lancaster was the first Hollywood Star that I saw in the flesh. That was at the Sunday Pictorial Film Garden Party which was held every summer at Morden Hall Park, from 1948 to 1951.
  • Options
    spaceygalspaceygal Posts: 3,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The first film I saw at the cinema was Chitty Chitty Bang Bang when I was four. I adored it and wished my parents had a car like that!

In the early 70's I remember seeing The Poseidon Adventure, The Aristocats, Steptoe And Son Ride Again and Live and Let Die, and lots of those Children's Film Foundation films. Also some older classics like Tom Thumb with Russ Tamblyn that was getting a re-showing at my local cinema. He became my childhood idol, Russ Tamblyn! Well, one of them. :)
  • Options
    tombigbeetombigbee Posts: 4,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This thread could be renamed to 'Guess the age of each poster' :p

I remember going to see Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle at the cinema. That was the first time I saw a film on the big screen. The Jungle Book on VHS was an early memory too.
  • Options
    WutheringWuthering Posts: 1,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seeing The Little Mermaid in the cinema. I was around six years old. I loved it and am still a huge Disney fan today, at least of their classics and occassional newer gems like Frozen.
  • Options
    ZeusZeus Posts: 10,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watching the Jungle Book.
  • Options
    montyburns56montyburns56 Posts: 2,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mistygal wrote: »
    Oh my goodness that film was so advertised back then:D. Do you remember they used to play a short film before the premiere?

Yes and I vaguely remember watching some nature based documentary before one of the films that I saw back then.
  • Options
    SuperSuper Posts: 257
    Forum Member
    Mine is E.T , a truly memorable film if ever there was one.
  • Options
    David WaineDavid Waine Posts: 3,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Back in the days when hardly anybody had a telly and the local cinema was within walking distance, my parents took me to see a cowboy film when I was four. My main memory is that half of it was in colour and the other half in black and white. I was much older before I realised that they were two different films.
  • Options
    jake_moore08jake_moore08 Posts: 256
    Forum Member
    Watching The Lion King. It made a huge impact on me and I still love it today.
  • Options
    CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,056
    Forum Member
    Hazy memories of Children's Film Foundation stuff (mid 1970's) but then 1977, an 8 year old me and STAR WARS.

It put Pete's Dragon and some crappy Spider Man movie I saw that same year firmly into context. :D
  • Options
    starry_runestarry_rune Posts: 9,006
    Forum Member
    Beauty and The Beast was first cinema trip around 92.

We got shown "Honey I Shrunk the kids" in school in the VHS room. I also had an animated Wizard of Oz, "Stay Tuned" and "Problem Child 2" early on in my VHS collection.
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    The Parent Trap, with Hayley Mills. Or possibly The Smith Family Robinson - I can't remember which came first.

hayley mills be a good way of kick starting the male hormones. makes yer balls drop real quick she does ......
  • Options
    SpacedoneSpacedone Posts: 2,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't really remember to be honest but I think one of my earliest would be watching the animated Lord Of The Rings on a pirated VHS copy my Dad had borrowed off someone as part of my birthday party when I was 4 or 5. I remember it being quite boring.

To be honest my earliest was probably a Laurel & Hardy movie as they used to show those on TV early in the morning all the time when I was a nipper.

However my very first cinema film was Ghostbuster. My older brother had won free tickets to a preview screening of it but he and his mates got the chicken pox so my Mum took me to watch it aged 6. The Library ghost scared me but I loved the rest of it.
  • Options
    enudzioenudzio Posts: 2,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i remember watching the first harry potter at the cinema.
  • Options
    wuffleswuffles Posts: 45,796
    Forum Member
    :DMy parents took me to see Disney's Jungle Book when I was about seven. For reasons best known to themselves, the cinema decided to show the trailer for Jaws between the adverts and the main feature. It scared the living daylights out of all the kids in the audience (including me) and about a dozen parents stormed the box office to complain!
  • Options
    Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    2001 in the cinema, I was only about 8 or 9. Just blown away with it.
  • Options
    SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The first film I remember seeing at the cinema was The Rescuers Down Under, when I was about three.
  • Options
    Vix77Vix77 Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watching Watership Down when I was about 6, I bawled my eyes out.