Options

DC Film Schedule

Comments

• Options
    Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ABC is owned by Disney, which owns Marvel.

It's the obvious place for a Marvel show, just as The CW is the obvious place for a DC show.

I don't think it really matters too much tbh about Gotham and Constantine being on other networks, as they don't lend themselves to crossovers anyway. Bruce is too young in Gotham for it to fit with other heroes in the TV universe or film universe, while Constantine does not fit at all IMO as demons, angels, and the supernatural have no place in Arrow etc. on TV and don't really fit with the more SF film universe created by Man of Steel.

But Supergirl really would have made more sense to be on The CW with Arrow and The Flash. It could have tied to the two of them, with all three tying to the film universe.

Crossovers between networks may not be full-on "impossible", but it is *very* difficult. Networks do not like them as it means promoting their competition.

Buffy and Angel had slight crossovers when Buffy was on UPN and Angel was on The WB, but nothing full-on. They were also a special case because Angel started life as a Buffy spin-off, and they were both originally on the The WB before Buffy moved to UPN for its final two seasons.

Crossovers between parent and spin-off shows or shows within the same franchise are common as they're always (except for the above) on the same network: The CSIs, the NCISs, the Law and Orders...

You sometimes get other crossovers (eg NCIS LA with Hawaii Five-0), but they're still on the same network.

Cross-network crossovers are very rare, and when they do happen they tend to just be a character appearing on another show (HLOTS' Munch on The X Files) without it being a proper crossover with a continuing story that's canon to both shows.
  • Options
    MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    But Marvel doesn't own Netflix and yet they are showing their TV shows!

I know it's unlikely for crossovers with these DC shows but it may happen!

Im just saying that DC have done a great job with their TV universe with these shows but the only mistake that they have made is not linking them into the DC film universe like Marvel have done with their TV shows and films!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Netflix isn't a normal network, though, and obviously has no problem with its Marvel series being properly linked to the ABC series and the films.

I think it's *extremely* unlikely that there'll be any kind of crossover between the DC shows that are on different networks, and I think it's stupid of Warner/DC to not link the TV series with the films.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I agree about DC being stupid not to link their TV shows to the films.However I think DC tv strategy is perfectly fine and has worked well for them which is why it seems strange not to take advantage of that and link them to the films!
  • Options
    Naa_KwaKaiNaa_KwaKai Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry, gotta disagree - Agents of Shied a.k.a Piece of Crap is a prime example of why the two mediums should never link. The creators of AOS admitted that they were just biding time until Captain America premièred in theatres. Linking the shows with the movies completely ties their hands. DC has gone about their TV work the right way. It's their movies they need to get together.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Matt D wrote: »
    It's an assumption based upon the well known difficulty of having crossovers between series that are on different and rival networks.

Arrow & The Flash - The CW

Gotham - Fox

Constantine - NBC

Supergirl - CBS

OK, Gotham is the wrong time period anyway as Bruce is too young, while Constantine doesn't really fit with the rest.

But Supergirl would have made much more sense to be on The CW (joint owned by Warner, the owner of DC), and would have made much more sense to be officially linked to the film universe (& also Arrow & The Flash depending on where they go with those).

CBS co-owns the CW, a crossover between Supergirl and Arrow/The Flash might not be as unlikely as you claim...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Naa_KwaKai wrote: »
    I'm sorry, gotta disagree - Agents of Shied a.k.a Piece of Crap is a prime example of why the two mediums should never link. The creators of AOS admitted that they were just biding time until Captain America premièred in theatres. Linking the shows with the movies completely ties their hands. DC has gone about their TV work the right way. It's their movies they need to get together.

Do you still watch Agents of SHIELD?

It improved vastly over the first season, with the main turning point being (as mentioned) Cap 2. It continued to improve after that, and IMO is definitely worth watching if you like the genre.
    CBS co-owns the CW, a crossover between Supergirl and Arrow/The Flash might not be as unlikely as you claim...

Ah... good point! :)
  • Options
    lordo350lordo350 Posts: 3,636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It all sounds a bit like a mess. Like they want to bring as much press to it as possible. Look at all the stuff we've got coming guys!

Fact is, this all goes out the window if Batman vs Superman sucks. I'm so torn about that movie I literally won't be surprised if it goes either way; if they either pull off a spectacular film, or a film that just had too much shoved into it.

The main difference between Marvel and DC is that Marvel seem to get the whole, "hint at later movies thing," better than DC does (and I'll throw Sony into this as well, with the latest Spiderman abomination). With Marvel, yes they hint away at what's to come, but they're also focused primarily on making a good film (Iron Man 2 aside). You want to rush back and see what's going to happen in the next Marvel movie simply because you had such a rollicking good time watching the last one, not just because of their teasing.

Compare that to the Amazing Spiderman's ending. Green Goblin is assembling a team that's going to do... something. It's all about how cool everything is going to be, not how it is. And the same can be said for DC here. BVS may end up just being one huge tease for the Justice League Movie, and nothing else.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lordo350 wrote: »
    IFact is, this all goes out the window if Batman vs Superman sucks.
    This.
    My lot had loads of their mates round yesterday, and I was surprised to see the conversation turn to the film. Only one is a superhero fan, yet 8 people aged between 19-24 were enthusing and speculating like mad.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    DC CCE Geoff Johns has said that they like to think of their TV show and Films as multiverse that can co-exist.He also said that in the future they may link them up if it makes sense
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Motthus wrote: »
    DC CCE Geoff Johns has said that they like to think of their TV show and Films as multiverse that can co-exist.He also said that in the future they may link them up if it makes sense

So basically they're going for a parallel universe and at some point when they bored/either needs a push in popularity, they'll have a crossover...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yeah properly which means it won't happen for a while especially as DC have all their films planned up to 2020. That will properly be after the TV shows Arrow and The Flash have finished on TV so it would make it a bigger event!

Although the rate that DC TV shows are being made they will have quite a lot to fit into a film version of Crisis On Infinite Earths
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Reports are saying that Lex Luthor is in the Sucide Squad film
  • Options
    circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Motthus wrote: »
    Reports are saying that Lex Luthor is in the Sucide Squad film

would be a smart tie in to make more casual fans aware that they should see SS if they like bats and supes.
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Suicide Squad is confirmed.

To be directed by David Ayer (Fury).

What a cast!

Will Smith (Deadshot), Tom Hardy (Rick Flagg), Jared Leto (The Joker - big shoes to fill!), Margot Robbie (Harley Quinn), Jai Courtney (Boomerang) and unbelievably Cara Delevingne! (Enchantress). They're still trying to lock down Jesse Eisenberg for Lex Luthor.

Starts shooting April next year.

Crazy good or crazy bad?! :D
  • Options
    XIVXIV Posts: 21,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »
    Suicide Squad is confirmed.

To be directed by David Ayer (Fury).

What a cast!

Will Smith (Deadshot), Tom Hardy (Rick Flagg), Jared Leto (The Joker - big shoes to fill!), Margot Robbie (Harley Quinn), Jai Courtney (Boomerang) and unbelievably Cara Delevingne! (Enchantress). They're still trying to lock down Jesse Eisenberg for Lex Luthor.

Starts shooting April next year.

Crazy good or crazy bad?! :D

I quite like the casting, there are to still to cast and the shortlist is Viola Davis, Octavia Spencer and Oprah Winfrey. Viola Davis is my favourite of the three but Oprah could work as well
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    brilliant casting for joker and harley quinn.

yes big shoes to fill but i think leto could do it.
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    whedon247 wrote: »
    brilliant casting for joker and harley quinn.

yes big shoes to fill but i think leto could do it.

The interesting thing about this incarnation of The Joker will be that he has Hayley Quinn to play off of. He's never had that before, we've never seen that before so this will definetely be interesting to see on screen. Let's hope it works! I can absolutely imagine Margot Robbie will kill in the role of Harley.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »
    The interesting thing about this incarnation of The Joker will be that he has Hayley Quinn to play off of. He's never had that before, we've never seen that before so this will definetely be interesting to see on screen. Let's hope it works! I can absolutely imagine Margot Robbie will kill in the role of Harley.

yup,cant wait to see the outfits lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So Jason Momoa has confirmed that he is contracted to play Aquaman in four Warner Brothers DC films!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    im really excited for DCU i must say, no matter how rushed it may be

saying that, bloody long wait for BVS
  • Options
    be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lordo350 wrote: »
    Fact is, this all goes out the window if Batman vs Superman sucks.
    Even if that film does suck, at least three other DCU films will be well into production by the time we find out. So it doesn't all go out the window at all.

The absolute bare minimum we'll get from the Man of Steel DCU is five films.
  • Options
    FrostyJimFrostyJim Posts: 3,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [March 25] 2016 - Batman vs Superman: Dawn Of Justice
    [August 5] 2016 - Suicide Squad
    [June 23] 2017 - Wonder Woman
    [November 17] 2017- Justice League
    [March 23] 2018 - The Flash
    [July 27] 2018 - Aquaman
    [April 5] 2019 - Shazam
    [June 14] 2019 - Justice League 2
    [April 3] 2020 - Cyborg
    [June 19] 2020 - Green Lantern
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    they have confirmed a reboot for green lantern?
  • Options
    FrostyJimFrostyJim Posts: 3,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whedon247 wrote: »
    they have confirmed a reboot for green lantern?

It's been announced, as have the others, according to my latest Empire Magazine. Obviously standalone Batman and Superman films will probably be added to that list at some point, you'd imagine. Keep in mind Marvel announced 17 films for during the timespan of that list as well.