The Science of Doctor Who - Thursday 14th November 9pm BBC2

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bp2 wrote: »
    What bits did you find difficult?

All of it, apart from the Eye. Anyway, you got the General Theory of Relativity, which is general, and then the Special Theory - but what is so special about it ? Why do you need two theories ? I mean, Einstein was the Man, but it is well hard.
  • bp2bp2 Posts: 1,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    petertard wrote: »
    All of it, apart from the Eye. Anyway, you got the General Theory of Relativity, which is general, and then the Special Theory - but what is so special about it ? Why do you need two theories ? I mean, Einstein was the Man, but it is well hard.

Quick confusing response. Special relativity is about non accelerating frames of reference (inertial frames of references) only. General relativity is about accelerating frames of references. The special bit relates to the fact it is only about inertial frames of references. It wasn't originally called special relativity it was called On the Electrodynamics of moving bodies.
  • Sharon87Sharon87 Posts: 3,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only bit I got was the Eye of Harmony was a Black Hole, but the rest was well too difficult, even with Coxy, who is the Man. If anyone can explain it, he can.

I got the bit about other planets and different coloured elements and the possible heat that it emits could mean advanced civilisations.

I found it interesting, somewhat confusing, but it is complex science. The bit about black hole bending the light was very confusing and the light coming back to the past seems a bit farfetched.
  • TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    that was interesting even if i didn't fully understand most of what he said
  • LowriLowri Posts: 3,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Recorded this to watch tomorrow but I'm actually pleased to hear that it isn't simplified to the point that it becomes wrong. I went to one of the Royal Institution Christmas lectures quite a few years ago and learnt about Black holes and time travel but that was obviously pitched for children so it'll be interesting to see how this compares.
  • Devon MilesDevon Miles Posts: 6,654
    Forum Member
    did the clock on the back of Rufus Hound actually slow down? I'm guessing it was meant to but it didn't look like it did to me..
  • TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    did the clock on the back of Rufus Hound actually slow down? I'm guessing it was meant to but it didn't look like it did to me..

it seemed to speed up to me :confused:
  • bp2bp2 Posts: 1,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It wasn't clear to me (I actually saw that bit).
  • sithlord3ksithlord3k Posts: 548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sharon87 wrote: »
    The bit about black hole bending the light was very confusing and the light coming back to the past seems a bit farfetched.

I think (and I use that term loosely :D) what he was saying is that:

If you imagine light traveling in a straight line, and there is a black hole, say at a 45 degree angle from the light, the gravitational pull of the black hole would be so strong that it would pull/bend the light towards it.

Light coming back in that case could be possible theoretically I guess, if you could slingshot around the black hole.
  • Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Terrible. Cox isn't a good lecturer, and anyone who wasn't already familiar with Einstein's theory would have been lost.
    And the Dr Who inserts were just plain lame. In the end it was pretty-boy Cox in front of an audience of slebs & luvvies, and the Dr Who bits were there just so they could cal it 'The Science of Dr Who'. Appalling TV.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was going to be Coxy travels in the Tardis with the Doc and they meet Einstein and they go to a Black Hole and then they talk about stuff like the Event Horizon, but they show it with the CGI, not this lecture hall and blackboards and graphs and all that stuff.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andy2 wrote: »
    Terrible. Cox isn't a good lecturer, and anyone who wasn't already familiar with Einstein's theory would have been lost.
    And the Dr Who inserts were just plain lame. In the end it was pretty-boy Cox in front of an audience of slebs & luvvies, and the Dr Who bits were there just so they could cal it 'The Science of Dr Who'. Appalling TV.

But Coxy is on the tv all the time. You saying it's all down to him being telegenic ? He is a well good communicator, but this was just confusing and too difficult.
  • Lady of TrakenLady of Traken Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think it was terrible. It was pitched at a general audience and as a person who last did science at school i did find it nteresting.
  • darnall42darnall42 Posts: 4,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    funny that i thought this show would be better than the science of doctor who documentry on the series 7 DVD - i was wrong :D
  • Devon MilesDevon Miles Posts: 6,654
    Forum Member
    it seemed to speed up to me :confused:
    bp2 wrote: »
    It wasn't clear to me (I actually saw that bit).

Ah good not just me then. I suspect it was a technical glitch and BC just pretended it didn't happen (or more accurately pretended it didn't not happen!)

I was a bit nonplussed by it all really - in the prelude to the show some woman said 'knowing Brian it will blow your mind'. My mind remained steadfastly 'unblown'

ETA: And when at the beginning BC said if he could go anywhere in space and time for just one day it would be Faraday's lecture in 1860..

really!!??
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But Coxy is on the tv all the time. You saying it's all down to him being telegenic ? He is a well good communicator, but this was just confusing and too difficult.

No, I'm suggesting it's because he's flavour of the month at the BBC. They do it all the time - someone gets a good reaction and from that moment they shoehorn them into everything they can. His lecture was dull and unfocussed, and the WHO bits were there only to link the programme to the 50th anniversary.
  • sithlord3ksithlord3k Posts: 548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, I'm suggesting it's because he's flavour of the month at the BBC. They do it all the time - someone gets a good reaction and from that moment they shoehorn them into everything they can. His lecture was dull and unfocussed, and the WHO bits were there only to link the programme to the 50th anniversary.

Did we watch the same programme ?
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't think it was that bad. The bits about special relativity and aliens were fairly dull as I'd heard it all before, but the stuff about light cones and black holes was pretty interesting and totally new to me so personally, I found it fairly enjoyable....but then again I'm the sort of person who reads textbooks for fun.

Anyway, I'll share this for slight relevance:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Amd9l6T1jEc

The Doctor Who theme played by discharges of electricity from a Tesla coil. :D
  • the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dave3622 wrote: »
    I like Brian Cox but I've never heard so much Bullsh1t in my life. :(

Why was it BS? I have no idea what people were expecting but I thought it was a very interesting hour. Some of it was indeed complicated but I enjoyed trying to tussle with it all the same - I find this stuff fascinating. Nice to see Jim Al-Khalili helping out at one of Brian's lectures again as well - I actually prefer his documentaries to Brian's as they're pitched at a slightly higher level.
  • MeoquiMeoqui Posts: 2,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched it a bit behind because I recorded it and just got round to posting.
    Wow it whizzed by and I found it fascinating. It is the sort of programme that you sit down, watch, concentrate and don't multitask. My 14 yr old watched it with me and then ran upstairs to draw world lines, light cones etc haha I have yet to sneak in and see how they turned out. She loves Doctor Who and we always sit down and watch Professor Brian Cox shows. So we loved it :) I guess if you do not enjoy in depth programmes or in depth experiences in life you wouldn't enjoy this. Horses for courses!
  • Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was going to be Coxy travels in the Tardis with the Doc and they meet Einstein and they go to a Black Hole and then they talk about stuff like the Event Horizon, but they show it with the CGI, not this lecture hall and blackboards and graphs and all that stuff.

I have no idea why you got that impression. It was always my understanding that this is what the show would be about.

The entire programme was based around Doctor Who. Did you actually watch it?
  • omipaloneomipalone Posts: 11,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Totally loved it and understood it all.

The kids will love it when they see it tomorrow & I look forward to the tons of questions they will ask (as they always do) afterwards.

They still fondly recall how I used candles to explain how stars were actually suns (their mother told them they were planets :o)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joe_Zel wrote: »
    I have no idea why you got that impression. It was always my understanding that this is what the show would be about.

That bit in the trailer when Coxy was in the Tardis. I thought he would be like a companion, and they would go places.
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That bit in the trailer when Coxy was in the Tardis. I thought he would be like a companion, and they would go places.

The lecture was shown in the trailer, though :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joe_Zel wrote: »

The entire programme was based around Doctor Who. Did you actually watch it?

No it wasn't! It was based almost entirely upon Einstein's theories, and there was almost no mention of the Doctor except for the utterly pointless inserts.
    I have an interest in all things scientific and I'm already familiar with relativity, but it just seemed like a last-minute fill-in show with celebs and a tenuous WHO link.